Prospect Info: 2014 NHL Draft / Pick #118 - Igor Shestyorkin (G) - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
7 of 7 saves after 1.

This game is a homecoming for Igor. He started out at Spartak before transferring to SKA a couple of weeks before the Rangers drafted him. He’s now played in Saint Petersburg for a couple of years, but he’s from Moscow.

Last edited:

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Spartak is kinda butt. Hopefully he gets the SO.
They are right in the middle of the standings in the league and have over a .500 record, I wouldn't really consider them butt..at least thus far 12 games into the season.

Don't want everyone to think he just beats "butt" teams when he is playing a very middle of the pack team. Along with beating very good teams this season.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
I know we've basically made a meme of Igbore posting shutout after shutout, but honestly, it's gotten to the point for me where these 0 and 1 GA games are inconsequential.

It's nice that he keeps putting up these numbers, but I'm ready to see him play a large sample of games in a more challenging environment.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
They are right in the middle of the standings in the league and have over a .500 record, I wouldn't really consider them butt..at least thus far 12 games into the season.

Don't want everyone to think he just beats "butt" teams when he is playing a very middle of the pack team. Along with beating very good teams this season.
They're not very good. Their wins have come against Amur (terrible), Admiral (terrible), Vityaz (bad), Traktor (bad), Slovan (terrible) and Riga (okay!). They've lost already to Minsk and Kunlun, who also suck. They're not totally horrible but they're also not as decent as their record suggests. But, whatever. Let's call them middle of the pack.

I don't know why anyone would think he only beats bad teams, just because I commented that this team isn't very good. And if they do, who cares? People still think he only wins games because the team in front of him is good, among other untrue things.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I know we've basically made a meme of Igbore posting shutout after shutout, but honestly, it's gotten to the point for me where these 0 and 1 GA games are inconsequential.

It's nice that he keeps putting up these numbers, but I'm ready to see him play a large sample of games in a more challenging environment.

I was thinking the same thing. This guy is too good to not be playing in the NHL this season. Reads the game at too high of a level for the KHL from what I’ve been watching this season. It’s one thing to be good at a certain level, it’s another to be overwhelmingly dominant. He’s overwhelmingly dominant from what I’ve seen early this season. And that makes sense. Third year as a KHL regular for an elite goalkeeping talent. He should be too good for the KHL now.

The Rangers are going to have a dilemma next year with the goalie situation. I tend to think the decision is more about Hank and Geo because Igor should be the must in that trio, but we’ll see what happens.

Reactions: Harbour Dog

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
I was thinking the same thing. This guy is too good to not be playing in the NHL this season. Reads the game at too high of a level for the KHL from what I’ve been watching this season. It’s one thing to be good at a certain level, it’s another to be overwhelmingly dominant. He’s overwhelmingly dominant from what I’ve seen early this season. And that makes sense. Third year as a KHL regular for an elite goalkeeping talent. He should be too good for the KHL now.

The Rangers are going to have a dilemma next year with the goalie situation. I tend to think the decision is more about Hank and Geo because Igor should be the must in that trio, but we’ll see what happens.

This is gonna be a tough situation if it comes to this. Georgiev isn't as polished as Shesty from what I'm seen of the latter, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if he has established himself as an NHLer by season's end; a young NHLer who has nothing but improve since we signed him.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
They're not very good. Their wins have come against Amur (terrible), Admiral (terrible), Vityaz (bad), Traktor (bad), Slovan (terrible) and Riga (okay!). They've lost already to Minsk and Kunlun, who also suck. They're not totally horrible but they're also not as decent as their record suggests. But, whatever. Let's call them middle of the pack.

I don't know why anyone would think he only beats bad teams, just because I commented that this team isn't very good. And if they do, who cares? People still think he only wins games because the team in front of him is good, among other untrue things.
Because that's apparently what people like to post here (including what you're post did). Guy just stopped 28 shots and now it's "Oh they were a bad team". Lets give him some credit instead of trying to downplay his fantastic start to the season.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
This is gonna be a tough situation if it comes to this. Georgiev isn't as polished as Shesty from what I'm seen of the latter, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if he has established himself as an NHLer by season's end; a young NHLer who has nothing but improve since we signed him.

They'll trade Georgiev like they traded Raanta and Talbot

Reactions: kovazub94

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
I'm not downplaying what Shesty has done/is doing at all. I'm just saying that he has proved himself in the KHL now.

This is not a comparison of the competition they are facing or of how they should be interpreted as prospects, but it's similar to an over-ager in the CHL torching the league. Shesty is at the point, where we would consider it a slight step backward if he never put up ungodly numbers in the KHL.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Because that's apparently what people like to post here (including what you're post did). Guy just stopped 28 shots and now it's "Oh they were a bad team". Lets give him some credit instead of trying to downplay his fantastic start to the season.
That's not what I said and it's not what I implied. It's what you inferred, because you seem to be hung up about what other people think about Shesterkin. Stopping all 28 shots is great, no matter the opponent. You could play a shitty team and go out there and end up facing like 40 shots.

In the Kravtsov thread, or when we discuss Virta, no one complains when it's mentioned that they're playing a poor opponent, and if they record points no one suddenly cares that it's against a bad team. I mean this literally occurs with all foreign-based prospects--it's often pointed out that the team the prospect is playing is good/bad/whatever to give some context, since a lot of people don't follow Euro leagues and don't know. It's not meant to diminish performance or anything. I don't see why you need to be so quick to defend Shesterkin; the people worth talking to around here know that he's amazing, and the people that don't know he's amazing aren't worth talking to.

Anyway, moving on.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
That's not what I said and it's not what I implied. It's what you inferred, because you seem to be hung up about what other people think about Shesterkin. Stopping all 28 shots is great, no matter the opponent. You could play a ****ty team and go out there and end up facing like 40 shots.

In the Kravtsov thread, or when we discuss Virta, no one complains when it's mentioned that they're playing a poor opponent, and if they record points no one suddenly cares that it's against a bad team. I mean this literally occurs with all foreign-based prospects--it's often pointed out that the team the prospect is playing is good/bad/whatever to give some context, since a lot of people don't follow Euro leagues and don't know. It's not meant to diminish performance or anything. I don't see why you need to be so quick to defend Shesterkin; the people worth talking to around here know that he's amazing, and the people that don't know he's amazing aren't worth talking to.

Anyway, moving on.
No it just seems like it's just you who downplays everything he does. You're the one who randomly brought up "He's playing a butt team, hopefully he gets a shutout". It's a little odd, especially when they aren't even one of the worst teams in the league.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
No it just seems like it's just you who downplays everything he does. It's a little odd. It was you who brought up "Oh he's playing a butt team, so i expect a shutout". C'on man your agenda is getting a bit tired.
I'd really love for you to find some additional instances of me "downplaying" everything he does. He's a sensational goaltending prospect--top three in the world, possibly the best. I have never said otherwise.

I didn't say I expected a shutout, I said I hoped for one. There's an enormous difference. My sentiment was echoed by a poster who knows a few things about the KHL, as well. You, again, just for some reason are really sensitive to any perceived slight against Shesterkin, and also from this post appear to suffer from poor reading comprehension. So, that being the case, I'm pretty much done with this conversation. I have no agenda and root for this kid as hard as anyone.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
They'll trade Georgiev like they traded Raanta and Talbot

Exactly and they won't be trading him until they see what they have in Shesterkin playing in the NHL. Decision won't be needed until at least 1.5 seasons from now though they will need to deal with finding games to play for each and Hank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad