Prospect Info: 2014 NHL Draft / Pick #118 - Igor Shestyorkin (G) - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Are SKA so much better than most teams that they can have two #1 goalies and not even consider trading one?

I don't understand the asset management at all.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Are SKA so much better than most teams that they can have two #1 goalies and not even consider trading one?

They're definitely really good. Like they can have Rykov, who is at least a capable KHL defender in some capacity, and just let him rot.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
They're definitely really good. Like they can have Rykov, who is at least a capable KHL defender in some capacity, and just let him rot.

I guess. Can't help but wonder if moving Shesty or Koskinen last year for a middle six forward or top 4 D would of been a difference maker come playoff time though.

It's just such a foreign concept to me to have two redundant assets, and not turn one of them into something that can be more useful.

Seems like poor, cocky, management imo.

But as someone who doesn't follow the KHL closely, perhaps there are factors I'm not aware of.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
I guess. Can't help but wonder if moving Shesty or Koskinen last year for a middle six forward or top 4 D would of been a difference maker come playoff time though.

It's just such a foreign concept to me to have two redundant assets, and not turn one of them into something that can be more useful.

Seems like poor, cocky, management imo.

But as someone who doesn't follow the KHL closely, perhaps there are factors I'm not aware of.
Based on previous years they like two goalies close to splitting time and then seeing who’s hotter or rolling with the vet come playoff time. Shesty’s value can’t be too high cuz of his relative ‘inexperience’ and the fact that he’s likely leaving the league, and they seem to like having a capable vet as well so wouldn’t consider that trade either.

Drew4u

Jul 22, 2016
I'd really like to see shesty play for another team or league. He needs to play in more games and also not sure if he's a system goalie or not.

Reactions: egelband

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I'd really like to see shesty play for another team or league. He needs to play in more games and also not sure if he's a system goalie or not.

Then only count his play when playing for teams other than the SKA first team. He's been great, regardless. He's not a system goalie.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
It's not a system thing, as SKA doesn't play anything unusual. They're just loaded, as they're owned by the (state-owned) gas company.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Based on previous years they like two goalies close to splitting time and then seeing who’s hotter or rolling with the vet come playoff time. Shesty’s value can’t be too high cuz of his relative ‘inexperience’ and the fact that he’s likely leaving the league, and they seem to like having a capable vet as well so wouldn’t consider that trade either.

I suppose. All of this reasoning aside though, I can't help but believe that if there was more parity in the league, this dual-goalie strategy wouldn't be as accepted. And if it wouldn't be accepted in a more competitive environment, then it's probably not an optimal method.

I'm trying to come up with some NHL parallel and the closest I can get is the years in Minnesota when Fernandez and Roloson both played lights out. Have there been any recent teams that ran two goalies by choice for most of the season?

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I suppose. All of this reasoning aside though, I can't help but believe that if there was more parity in the league, this dual-goalie strategy wouldn't be as accepted. And if it wouldn't be accepted in a more competitive environment, then it's probably not an optimal method.

I'm trying to come up with some NHL parallel and the closest I can get is the years in Minnesota when Fernandez and Roloson both played lights out. Have there been any recent teams that ran two goalies by choice for most of the season?
I remember Elliott and Halak in St. Louis a while back. Thomas and Rask I think was a thing. It was fairly common back in the 70s and the part of the 80s that I was a fan. We had some famous splits--Villemure and Giacomin, Richter and Beezer.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
I remember Elliott and Halak in St. Louis a while back. Thomas and Rask I think was a thing. It was fairly common back in the 70s and the part of the 80s that I was a fan. We had some famous splits--Villemure and Giacomin, Richter and Beezer.

Ah, Elliot/Halak I should of remembered too.

That's a good example; two guys who were established, but neither being the clear starter.

It isn't entirely without recent NHL precedent then, but I would still be adamantly opposed to the Rangers running two goalies if either could be converted into an impact skater.

And if I were a SKA fan, I'd be pulling hard for them to move one of those guys at some point during the season. Especially after failing to win it all last year.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Ah, Elliot/Halak I should of remembered too.

That's a good example; two guys who were established, but neither being the clear starter.

It isn't entirely without recent NHL precedent then, but I would still be adamantly opposed to the Rangers running two goalies if either could be converted into an impact skater.

And if I were a SKA fan, I'd be pulling hard for them to move one of those guys at some point during the season. Especially after failing to win it all last year.

But why? Only because you don't like two-goalie set up?

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
But why? Only because you don't like two-goalie set up?

Yes. If you have two legit #1 goalies, the gain from that would certainly seem to be much less than if you had a legit #1, a good back up, and an added middle sixer or top 4 D. Especially in today's NHL where backups are more reliable than they've ever been.

Talbot and Raanta both outgrew their position, and we correctly moved them for assets. It also has the added bonus of making sure there is room for our young guys to push for spots.

In the case of SKA, I will admit that I consider Shesty to be an established goalie. Perhaps that isn't the case, but based on what I've seen of him as well as his consistently spectacular numbers, I'm comfortable calling him a KHL starter.

So why get 100% starts from #1 guys, when you can get 80-90% of those quality starts (and 100% come playoff time) and add an extra impact skater? It just seems incredibly flawed.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Yes. If you have two legit #1 goalies, the gain from that would certainly seem to be much less than if you had a legit #1, a good back up, and an added middle sixer or top 4 D. Especially in today's NHL where backups are more reliable than they've ever been.

This is a point that many don't grasp when it comes to specifically to SKA (or CSKA to certain extend) in the context of KHL. The team already carries excess of both forwards and defensemen who don't even in the regular lineup. These extras are not VHL quality, these are full fledged KHL regulars that would have prominent roles if they were a part of another KHL club.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
This is a point that many don't grasp when it comes to specifically to SKA (or CSKA to certain extend) in the context of KHL. The team already carries excess of both forwards and defensemen who don't even in the regular lineup. These extras are not VHL quality, these are full fledged KHL regulars that would have prominent roles if they were a part of another KHL club.

Fair enough. If they're legit so stacked that they can't add a meaningful piece in return, then that's a different story.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
This is a joke shesterkin (please let’s stsrt spelling it like this on here the kid has it spelled like this on his own mask) can’t get here fast enough. rykov and kravstov as well please get these kids here ASAP. This khl season can’t end quick enough

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

They have 13 Ds on the ‘roster’. I don’t know all of them, but it seems like 10-11 are KHL caliber...

They are to the KHL what peak Yankees have been to MLB from time to time. Ridiculously loaded more or less. That doesn’t mean that they win all games and what not. It’s decided on the ice and hockey is about other things than talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad