Prospect Info: 2014 NHL Draft / Pick #118 - Igor Shestyorkin (G) - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Hellberg back in net tonight after Shest puts up back to back wins. :popcorn:
Not that he played poorly in his last game, but he wasn't super sharp. I think I stated during the game that I'd expect Hellberg back in net tonight. This is just how SKA operates.

Hellberg is having a pretty good start, too, so he may be back out for another game before they go back to Shesterkin.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Not that he played poorly in his last game, but he wasn't super sharp. I think I stated during the game that I'd expect Hellberg back in net tonight. This is just how SKA operates.

Hellberg is having a pretty good start, too, so he may be back out for another game before they go back to Shesterkin.
Looks like SKA made it very easy for him only facing 19 shots, just 11 shots after the 1st period.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Looks like SKA made it very easy for him only facing 19 shots, just 11 shots after the 1st period.
Yeah, this is generally true.

SKA is great team and they do this for both goalies--Shesterkin has had more than his fair share of games where he has only needed to stop 15-20 shots. He only faced 22 his first time out. If I remember correctly once in the past two years he won a game where he faced like 6 shots all night or something crazy.

I only add that because I already know people will say, "Hellberg only had a good performance because SKA played so well in front of him." That has been a criticism leveled at Shesterkin many, many times (it's not true) so hopefully people can keep it in context.

Reactions: egelband

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Yeah, this is generally true.

SKA is great team and they do this for both goalies--Shesterkin has had more than his fair share of games where he has only needed to stop 15-20 shots. He only faced 22 his first time out. If I remember correctly once in the past two years he won a game where he faced like 6 shots all night or something crazy.

I only add that because I already know people will say, "Hellberg only had a good performance because SKA played so well in front of him." That has been a criticism leveled at Shesterkin many, many times (it's not true) so hopefully people can keep it in context.
Yeah, I think it's helpful to compare them to one another rather than to just look at the numbers, because the team makes it easy for them more often than not. We have an idea of what kind of goalie Hellberg is at this level, comparing Shesty to him may yield some helpful insights once the sample size for both gets larger.

Reactions: nyr2k2

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Hellberg in net.

Shest has only played 2 of the first 6 games.

Should be a nice easy win for Hellberg playing a dump team.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
They like to go with the vet. Hellberg "played well" last game so it's not surprising. Frustrating, but not surprising. I think this is how it will be all year.

Well that's pretty shitty for his development if he is only going to play 20 games this season.

Reactions: nyr2k2

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
But the KHL isn't a development league. SKA has no obligation to us. They won't get compensated for losing players to the NHL unlike Liiga, SHL, Extraliga, EBEL, DEL and NL for instance
I know that. I was just simply make a comment that it absolutely sucks for his development. Was hoping this was the year he would get 40-50 games under his belt in during his last KHL season.

Reactions: egelband

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Also FWIW, SKA won 5-0. Hellberg only had to face 20 shots, but stopped them all. So, you can pretty much bank on him getting another start in the next game after allowing just one goal over his last two outings.

Rangers in 7

Dec 17, 2015
Long Island
honestly him not playing alot might be better for us, i would have liked him to get 40 starts and most likely he was coming over the pond next year but if he only plays 20 games you can bet he will be in north america next season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad