Injury Report: 2014 Injury Updates | Malkin Skates and Lives To Tell the Tale!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
So remember we were having this discussion about how long Malkin would be on wing, and people insisted it was only until he got his legs under him.

I remember citing Johnston mentioning Beau's health and Sutter not having a winger as an extra reason, and people said 'well, that's just for now'.

Well . . . http://triblive.com/sports/penguins...viewpenguins+(Penguins+Stories)#axzz3GG7tcXRU.

“As he gets his legs going, there is an option at that time to move him to center,†Johnston said of Malkin. “But if their line is playing like they have been, I really like the line. Dupuis has had lots of jump. I like the mixture of the speed on one side, playmaking on the other. Sutter controls it through the middle. I don't mind that line right now. We'll see how it goes through the course of the next two games.â€

Ok, that sounds good, but . . .

Johnston also pointed to Beau Bennett's impending return in early November from a lower-body injury as something that could impact that line. “I'm not set either way until maybe we get Bennett back, then maybe we'll make a decision from there,†Johnston said.

So, is Malkin's playing wing tied to his health or to Beau's?

If it's the former, then it's ok. If it's the latter, then it's bull**** of Bylsma proportions.

If there were any clearly better option in terms of lines, I would be on this train with you. There really isn't though. With the 1st and 3rd lines working extremely well, and the Sutter/Geno line beginning to gel in Toronto, there's no pressing reason to change anything until BB comes back.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
If there were any clearly better option in terms of lines, I would be on this train with you. There really isn't though. With the 1st and 3rd lines working extremely well, and the Sutter/Geno line beginning to gel in Toronto, there's no pressing reason to change anything until BB comes back.

There is an obviously better option without even changing the players. Just put Geno at center and Sutter at wing.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

1. That third line that's working perfectly is going to be broken up when Bennett returns (it's going to be Downie-Sutter-Bennett and Spaling-Goc-Comeau).

2. I'm not sure what's more tragic . . . the stupidity or the irony of tying whether Malkin plays C or RW to Beau Bennett's health.

There is an obviously better option without even changing the players. Just put Geno at center and Sutter at wing.

See, this is why I was worried in the beginning. When Johnston talked about letting him get his legs going AND mentioned Bennett's health, people said it's just about Malkin getting his legs. Now, Johnston has hedged because 'the line looked good' and again mentioned 'Bennett's health'. So, the new mantra is 'well, the lines look good, and Malkin isn't complaining'. Can't say I didn't see it coming . . .

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004

If it's the former, then it's ok. If it's the latter, then it's bull**** of Bylsma proportions.

Two games in and all that... but it's starting to have the look and feel of the latter.

Which is utterly ridiculous.

If we have yet another third line center who fancies himself more... then put him on the wing, FFS.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Two games in and all that... but it's starting to have the look and feel of the latter.

Which is utterly ridiculous.

If we have yet another third line center who fancies himself more... then put him on the wing, FFS.

Well, if one is to believe Johnston's refreshingly clear interviews . . . :laugh:

For now, he gets to have it both ways. Malkin is on the wing the next two games, and you still can make the conditioning argument.

BUT, Johnston's own words are it may go longer IF the line continues to look ok UNTIL Bennett returns.

Which begs the question . . . what happened to this all being about Malkin's conditioning?

Which will invite the reply . . . well, the line looks ok and Malkin isn't complaining.

Which begs the question . . . why do the opposition the favor of helping to neutralize your second biggest weapon?

I'll be interested to see if anyone publicly is questioning Malkin still being at wing in a week, because then the only way to interpret it would be as a move tied to Bennett's health.

Lomez

Too Awesome for Top 100
Mar 29, 2009
PGH, PA
So remember we were having this discussion about how long Malkin would be on wing, and people insisted it was only until he got his legs under him.

I remember citing Johnston mentioning Beau's health and Sutter not having a winger as an extra reason, and people said 'well, that's just for now'.

Well . . . http://triblive.com/sports/penguins...viewpenguins+(Penguins+Stories)#axzz3GG7tcXRU.

“As he gets his legs going, there is an option at that time to move him to center,†Johnston said of Malkin. “But if their line is playing like they have been, I really like the line. Dupuis has had lots of jump. I like the mixture of the speed on one side, playmaking on the other. Sutter controls it through the middle. I don't mind that line right now. We'll see how it goes through the course of the next two games.â€

Ok, that sounds good, but . . .

Johnston also pointed to Beau Bennett's impending return in early November from a lower-body injury as something that could impact that line. “I'm not set either way until maybe we get Bennett back, then maybe we'll make a decision from there,†Johnston said.

"People" weren't insisting, Johnston was/is. In any case, I don't really thing it's that big a deal. There aren't a lot of options, the team has clicked for the first two, and I think even MJ recognizes #71 is ultimately more valuable at center when he's finally firing on all cylinders. Let's talk about it in a couple of months.

I do think many people on these boards are behaving like they've been physically abused, MJ reaches back to scratch his neck and scores of posters see Disco and cower.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
"People" weren't insisting, Johnston was/is. In any case, I don't really thing it's that big a deal. There aren't a lot of options, the team has clicked for the first two, and I think even MJ recognizes #71 is ultimately more valuable at center when he's finally firing on all cylinders. Let's talk about it in a couple of months.

I do think many people on these boards are behaving like they've been physically abused, MJ reaches back to scratch his neck and scores of posters see Disco and cower.

So, just to be clear . . . a couple more months of Malkin at wing?

EDIT: What people were insisting a week ago, not MJ, but people here, was that it only was about Malkin's conditioning. BUT, when I noted that MJ also mentioned Bennett's health and Sutter needing a winger as part of the answer about Malkin at wing 8 days ago, people here insisted that wasn't part of it, that it only was about Malkin's conditioning. Some people think I'm nuts for taking Johnston at his word, and HIS word is that Malkin playing wing is as much about Bennett's health and whether the line looks ok with Malkin at wing as it is about Malkin's conditioning.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010

EDIT: What people were insisting a week ago, not MJ, but people here, was that it only was about Malkin's conditioning. BUT, when I noted that MJ also mentioned Bennett's health and Sutter needing a winger as part of the answer about Malkin at wing 8 days ago, people here insisted that wasn't part of it, that it only was about Malkin's conditioning. Some people think I'm nuts for taking Johnston at his word, and HIS word is that Malkin playing wing is as much about Bennett's health and whether the line looks ok with Malkin at wing as it is about Malkin's conditioning.

BB's return will be the point where it's fair to complain if he's still playing wing. If KCH is staying together and Sutter is staying at center, there really isnt' a better option for the time being. If the goalposts shift again when BB returns, then it's fair to complain about Malkin's usage under MJ.

Malkin playing wing for a month isn't going to derail his impact in the playoffs.

Lomez

Too Awesome for Top 100
Mar 29, 2009
PGH, PA

No, no, no! (A couple months just seems like a decent amount of time for this episode the completely disappear into the recesses of our collective memories). OK, how about a couple weeks then! I'm just not that worried about it as I have to believe that MJ, like everyone else, recognizes Geno is most valuable at center. If Geno is completely healthy, the team (or at least #71) is treading water and he's still at wing, I'll join you in rising in righteous indignation and calling for Johnston's removal. ;)

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
No, no, no! (A couple months just seems like a decent amount of time for this episode the completely disappear into the recesses of our collective memories). OK, how about a couple weeks then! I'm just not that worried about it as I have to believe that MJ, like everyone else, recognizes Geno is most valuable at center. If Geno is completely healthy, the team (or at least #71) is treading water and he's still at wing, I'll join you in rising in righteous indignation and calling for Johnston's removal. ;)

Cool. :laugh:

I'll be ok for the next week with him at wing.

If I see him flying and nobody getting him the puck (I stopped counting how many times Dupuis missed him being open and missed him with the pass when he saw him flying through the neutral zone) and then hear Johnston talk about how good the line is, then the echoes of Bylsma may return.

In a week, I'd be ok with them using him flexibly and working him at center until Bennett returns.

Exclusively at wing until Bennett returns . . . well, that whole 'what we do in the regular season is about getting ready for the playoffs and it's not just about every two points' thing will ring a little more hollow.

BB's return will be the point where it's fair to complain if he's still playing wing. If KCH is staying together and Sutter is staying at center, there really isnt' a better option for the time being. If the goalposts shift again when BB returns, then it's fair to complain about Malkin's usage under MJ.

Malkin playing wing for a month isn't going to derail his impact in the playoffs.

You could play Sutter at wing. I'd argue that Malkin at center (when Malkin has his legs) and Sutter at wing > Sutter at center and Malkin at wing (when Malkin has his legs). Then again, I always liked Malkin centering Staal more than Staal centering Malkin, so what do I know?

BTW, the goalposts already shifted. A week ago, it was about Malkin's conditioning. Now, it's about Malkin's conditioning and Beau Bennett's health.

member 51464

**** it. I am all aboard the trust Johnston train. Until he stubbornly sticks with something that isn't working, I will stay on board. What we have now is working so far.Tomorrow is game 3. let's see how it goes!

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
**** it. I am all aboard the trust Johnston train. Until he stubbornly sticks with something that isn't working, I will stay on board. What we have now is working so far.Tomorrow is game 3. let's see how it goes!

I thought we'd moved beyond the 'it's working during the regular season' rationale for whether something is good, bad, or somewhere in between. :laugh:

Boocock

Feb 3, 2007
1. Moving Malkin to wing was simply to ensure that he could still use his offensive talents while waiting for his conditioning to get back to form.
2. In order to play great defense, one must be able to hustle and stay in position.
3. In order to hustle, one must be properly conditioned.
4. There are fewer defensive responsibilities at wing.
5. Wingers are allowed to cheat on offense.

I like Johnston's thinking. He's getting the most out of one of his talented players without taxing him too much. It'll all be okay guys. Once Malkin is back up to speed, Johnston will want to take advantage of his wonderful defensive talents as well.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
1. Moving Malkin to wing was simply to ensure that he could still use his offensive talents while waiting for his conditioning to get back to form.
2. In order to play great defense, one must be able to hustle and stay in position.
3. In order to hustle, one must be properly conditioned.
4. There are fewer defensive responsibilities at wing.
5. Wingers are allowed to cheat on offense.

I like Johnston's thinking. He's getting the most out of one of his talented players without taxing him too much. It'll all be okay guys. Once Malkin is back up to speed, Johnston will want to take advantage of his wonderful defensive talents as well.

Nobody disagrees with that except Johnston, who hedged today and said Malkin may stay at wing anyway until Bennett is healthy (because Sutter needs a winger as he said 8 days ago).

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
I thought we'd moved beyond the 'it's working during the regular season' rationale for whether something is good, bad, or somewhere in between. :laugh:

Well you're having a conniption fit about stuff in October, so you kind of left the door wide open, counselor :P

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Well you're having a conniption fit about stuff in October, so you kind of left the door wide open, counselor :P

I have conniption fits every October (and November, December, January, February, March, April, May, June, July, August, and September), counselor. :p:

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh

his is disturbing,
I listened a lot of local hockey radio program today, and all these morons are actually starting discussion: who is better player at center: Malkin or Sutter. You had to listen to believe: Madden, Savran. According to Savran Sutter is "blossoming". Madden said that although Geno is more talented Sutter is better defensively or better suited for the center position. He said Sutter was phenomenal. This is just going out of control, and if you think MJ is not listening well...

The notion that this is working (in whooping two games) is beyond belief, and this excuse that somehow is this our best option now...I thought it was all about how we will play in April not what would be the best team to roll out in October..

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
his is disturbing,
I listened a lot of local hockey radio program today, and all these morons are actually starting discussion: who is better player at center: Malkin or Sutter. You had to listen to believe: Madden, Savran. According to Savran Sutter is "blossoming". Madden said that although Geno is more talented Sutter is better defensively or better suited for the center position. He said Sutter was phenomenal. This is just going out of control, and if you think MJ is not listening well...

The notion that this is working (in whooping two games) is beyond belief, and this excuse that somehow is this our best option now...I thought it was all about how we will play in April not what would be the best team to roll out in October..

Only guy I heard poo-poo this was DK, who basically said 'why wouldn't you move the second best center in hockey back to center to play in a system tailor made for him when HE is ready'.

That IMO should be the thing. Not when Bennett returns. Not if the line looks ok with Malkin at wing. Not for Sutter. Not if Malkin isn't complaining. When Malkin is ready.

That MJ has said/hedged otherwise should not be cause for celebration. It, like their defaulting to a PP with Malkin at left point, should be cause for concern.

EDIT: It looks like it may have been all about April until that became inconvenient. I can see how this plays out: Malkin probably has his legs. The line will look ok and produce Thursday against a defensively inferior Dallas team. More people will laud how the line is producing. Then, next week, the talk will be 'why mess with it if it's working until Beau returns'. Of course, if it's working, why mess with it WHEN Beau returns, but that question is too inconvenient to address.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
You could play Sutter at wing. I'd argue that Malkin at center (when Malkin has his legs) and Sutter at wing > Sutter at center and Malkin at wing (when Malkin has his legs). Then again, I always liked Malkin centering Staal more than Staal centering Malkin, so what do I know?

Maybe they do shift Sutter to wing. Who knows. But the fact remains, Sutter is a top 6 forward right now at center. He sucked balls at wing last season. Malkin is still very effective at wing.

Malkin can handle playing wing until BB returns. I understand wanting to get Malkin acclimated to center asap and bought into the system, but it's a long season, Kirk. Not worth writing short stories about at this point.

There certainly is a bunch of local media guys saying Malkin at wing isn't such a bad thing. But until I hear MJ say Malkin will stay at that position, I'll assume he's playing there b/c of our situation in the top 6 currently.

Boocock

Feb 3, 2007
Nobody disagrees with that except Johnston, who hedged today and said Malkin may stay at wing anyway until Bennett is healthy (because Sutter needs a winger as he said 8 days ago).
Whether that decision is the best decision for the team remains in doubt. Maybe Malkin should remain at wing until Bennett is back up to speed. The team currently doesn't have enough skilled player depth and this configuration ensures that the Top 6 is as top-loaded as possible. What are they going to do, place Malkin with Downie and Dupuis, leave Goc with Comeau and Spaling, and Sutter with Sill and Adams? What line combination would you propose? Remember to include Craig Adams, the unavoidable parasite of a hockey player.

Lomez

Too Awesome for Top 100
Mar 29, 2009
PGH, PA
his is disturbing,

That, sir, will always cause any rational person's brain to explode. Remember, PGH sports radio: it's entertainment, not serious.

member 51464

his is disturbing,

It isn't disturbing. I don't want it to stay long-term and I don't think it will. I just honestly don't really care what a brand new coach installing a brand new system is doing in October. Honestly. I don't try to read too much into team performance until at least 8 or 10 games into the season :)

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
These long breaks between games along with preseason just ended really gets HF worked up on things. Thank goodness game 3 is tomorrow!!

DoktorZaius

Feb 7, 2013
It's also possible the GMs want Sutter's statline to look impressive so they can ship him out for a proper top 6 winger, and they're willing to play Geno out of position for awhile to get it done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad