Injury Report: 2014 Injury Updates | Malkin Skates and Lives To Tell the Tale!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
PLAYER|TYPE OF INJURY|REPORTED|RECOVERY TIME|POSSIBLE RETURN|STATUS|UPDATED|SOURCE
Derrick Pouliot | Shoulder | Off Season | Min. 3 Weeks | 10.20.14 | Conditioning/Training assignment in W-B/S | 9.29.14 | @MolinariPG
Robert Bortuzzo | Lower Body | 9.26.14 | 3-5 Weeks | 10.20.14 - 11.03.14 | Practiced with team | 10.20.14 | @penguins
Beau Bennett | Lower Body | 9.26.14 | 6 Weeks | 11.8.14 | Expected to resume partial practice in 7-10 days | 10.18.14 | @PensInsideScoop
« 'Possible Return' calculated by calendar week, i.e. Friday to Friday, from the date reported unless otherwise noted »

« Last season's injury thread with off season surgery info, etc. can be found here »
« Information about Bennett's injury and projected recovery time can be found here »

« 10.20.14 »
Robert Bortuzzo is on the ice for today’s #Pens practice. @penguins

Bortuzzo said his recovery is coming along on schedule. #Pens @OtherNHLCrosby

Last edited:

penguins2946*

Nice work on this. I think all of the injuries over the summer are healed. Letang, Bennett and Scuderi are definitely at 100% (via Yohe and DK respectively), and I'm assuming Downie is good to go as well. I wouldn't be surprised for Maatta to be sent down to the AHL to start the season since he will probably miss most of training camp and he's waiver eligible.

Stad

@Mahomes2Helaire
Apr 22, 2007
Saskatoon
Maatta is practicing tomorrow, he's been cleared for limited contact. I'd be shocked if he isn't ready for the home opener.

penguins2946*

Maatta is practicing tomorrow, he's been cleared for limited contact. I'd be shocked if he isn't ready for the home opener.

But we also have almost no cap space and 7 D that need waivers. It's either send Maatta to the AHL and justify it with him needing time to recoup his injury or losing Samuelsson for nothing.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Injury Weather Man 'Phil Connors' said: "Penguin emerged from his Igloo, saw his shadow, retreated back into Igloo, 6 more weeks of injuries."

Gave it a shot.:laugh:

Last edited:

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
Nice work on this. I think all of the injuries over the summer are healed. Letang, Bennett and Scuderi are definitely at 100% (via Yohe and DK respectively), and I'm assuming Downie is good to go as well. I wouldn't be surprised for Maatta to be sent down to the AHL to start the season since he will probably miss most of training camp and he's waiver eligible.

so Bennett is 100% healthy? nice if so

I'm trying to source some info now, once I have it, I'll update the first post. Pretty sure BB is good to go, though.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
But we also have almost no cap space and 7 D that need waivers. It's either send Maatta to the AHL and justify it with him needing time to recoup his injury or losing Samuelsson for nothing.

Or you put Scuderi on waivers if you can't trade him. Even if he goes to the AHL Samuelsson would still be cheaper as the 7D. You might lose him for nothing but you save cap space, keep the young guy, get the roster spot and remove the risk.

BobCole

May 21, 2014
42-17655433.jpg

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

Okay and then what? Wait for someone to get injured to call him up?

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011

No, you can send Samuelsson to WBS as long as you do it 12 days prior to the NHL season start without passing him through waivers. The NHL waiver period does not officially begin until this time, so right now, we can freely move players between organizations/camps. They get paid the same if on one way deals, but their cap hit won't go against our NHL hit if in WBS unless it's a 35+ deal.

So it's likely we might see Ulf Jr. sent to WBS by next Friday (I believe is the date).

PS, thanks Degen for picking this up again, most helpful!

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
No, you can send Samuelsson to WBS as long as you do it 12 days prior to the NHL season start without passing him through waivers. The NHL waiver period does not officially begin until this time, so right now, we can freely move players between organizations/camps.

I really doubt it works like that. You can send players down now but I believe they'll still have to clear waivers on that day. Otherwise everyone would send down their waiver-eligible prospects one day before this deadline day and nobody would ever get claimed.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
No, you can send Samuelsson to WBS as long as you do it 12 days prior to the NHL season start without passing him through waivers. The NHL waiver period does not officially begin until this time, so right now, we can freely move players between organizations/camps. They get paid the same if on one way deals, but their cap hit won't go against our NHL hit if in WBS unless it's a 35+ deal.

So it's likely we might see Ulf Jr. sent to WBS by next Friday (I believe is the date).

PS, thanks Degen for picking this up again, most helpful!

I still don't think you're right about this.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
I really doubt it works like that. You can send players down now but I believe they'll still have to clear waivers on that day. Otherwise everyone would send down their waiver-eligible prospects one day before this deadline day and nobody would ever get claimed.

I have posted the relevant CBA section below, I have read articles that have interpreted it differently. But it may well be that you cannot move a player between leagues outside the waiver period. In that case, perhaps they plan to waive Scuds. Luckily he was not 35+ last year (he's 35 now), so it would appear we can waive him, and if no one claims him, his cap would come off our books.

Maybe that was their plan for when Maatta came back, and they were hoping to get some assets for him, but have no takers.

13.2 The "Playing Season Waiver Period" shall begin on the twelfth (12th) day prior to the start of the Regular Season and end on the day following the last day of a Club's Playing Season. Subject to the provisions of this Article, the rights to the services of a Player may be Loaned to a club of another league, upon fulfillment of the following conditions, except when elsewhere expressly prohibited:

(a) Regular Waivers were requested and cleared during the Playing Season Waiver
Period; and
(b) the Player has not played in ten (10) or more NHL Games cumulative since Regular Waivers on him were last cleared, and more than thirty (30) days cumulative on an NHL roster have not passed since Regular Waivers on him were last cleared.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
I still don't think you're right about this.

I may not be, the intricacies of these transfers is unclear, but I'm hoping someone with a specific example will step forward. I am hoping I am not correct, as this means we may be forced to waive Scuds.

penguins2946*

Okay and then what? Wait for someone to get injured to call him up?

Have Scuderi not play like ass for a stretch and trade him to whoever will take him without us retaining anything.

Or you put Scuderi on waivers if you can't trade him. Even if he goes to the AHL Samuelsson would still be cheaper as the 7D. You might lose him for nothing but you save cap space, keep the young guy, get the roster spot and remove the risk.

What if he doesn't get claimed though? Even if we send him to the AHL, we only save $900,000. Calling up Samuelsson lowers that to $350,000. They could say Dupuis is still hurt and put him on LTIR, but I don't think they would do that. Maatta being ready for camp throws a wrench in the plans to start the year.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
What if he doesn't get claimed though?

If no one claims him, we can keep him up and be in the same situation we are in right now. Its worth trying to see if someone would take him imo.

My hope is that JR is waiting until someone has a D-man get injured in the pre-season and then call them up offering Scuds.

penguins2946*

If no one claims him, we can keep him up and be in the same situation we are in right now. Its worth trying to see if someone would take him imo.

My hope is that JR is waiting until someone has a D-man get injured in the pre-season and then call them up offering Scuds.

Can you even send Scuderi to the minors? His NTC/NMC may make him not able to be sent down without his consent. I don't think sending Scuderi down right now is feasible. If Scuderi would be claimed off of waivers, would we have any of his cap on us for this year?

mikethelegacy

formerly mikelegacy
May 9, 2013
Pittsburgh, Pa
Can you even send Scuderi to the minors? His NTC/NMC may make him not able to be sent down without his consent. I don't think sending Scuderi down right now is feasible. If Scuderi would be claimed off of waivers, would we have any of his cap on us for this year?

No, I think the team that picks him up would then be responsible for his cap hit. He's not going to be sent down, you can bank on that. Teams don't just throw 3.5 million under the rug, they are going to do everything they can to get him back on track and get something worth-while out of the investment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad