Injury Report: 2014 Injury Updates | Malkin Skates and Lives To Tell the Tale!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sf expat71

Nov 10, 2008
Atlantic Ocean
Talking to the media after practice today, Johnston said he has really liked the Scuderi-Despres pairing and they've been "rock solid".

Vomit. He should've said, "Rock solid facing weak competition, with better in-house options to improve said pairing." But maybe they're just talking it up to increase trade value.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Talking to the media after practice today, Johnston said he has really liked the Scuderi-Despres pairing and they've been "rock solid".

...ewwww... all hail Despres?

Aim to be better, Johnston. At least get him off of the PK. I'd say it could be an attempt to talk up or bolster Scuderi but it never goes that way with this team and veterans.

BobCole

May 21, 2014
That Scuderi-Despres tandem did not inspire a lot of confidence from my POV.

It's amazing how a weak partner can drag a guy down. I thought Despres looked awesome the few times DB let him player last year. But put him with Scuderi and together they look like hot garbage.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
all lip service. don't believe anything they say until bortuzzo is back. there's simply no justification for playing him over bortuzzo, who's better in every facet of the game and brings major grit that the entire d corps is lacking

penguins2946*

I really hope they're just pimping Scuderi up so we can actually trade him without retaining salary

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I think Beau is getting closer to being normal.

I found some footage (below) of him working out some kinks in his wrist while his ankle/leg heals.
eQgsbzt.gif

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
Any word on line rushes or pairings in practice today? I assume all the same. I am really hoping to see Adams time on the PK reduced or eliminated and get some additional time for Comeau. I'd love to see our top forward pairings as:

Sutter/Dupuis
Goc/Comeau

Spaling/Sid or Geno

From the Mackey piece yesterday:

Comeau signed a one-year contract worth $700,000 with the Penguins on July 1. While he set a career-high with 197 hits last season, he became unhappy with his role in Columbus, how he no longer was used to kill penalties.

“There are some games with a lot of special teams — and I wasn't on the power play — so there would be times where I'd be sitting on the bench for seven, eight, 10 minutes straight, and my legs are tight,†Comeau said. “I've killed penalties my whole career, and it was frustrating not to be a part of that, especially when I thought I was capable of doing that and never really got an opportunity to show that.â€

http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/6952782-74/comeau-penguins-dupuis

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Scuds is great at defending the rush, but that's it. He's such a negative in puck moving and he's average at defending in the zone. Despres should just give him the puck and let him hang himself with it rather than trying to do two jobs and looking average at it.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
First post is updated ... everyone's at practice that should be, including Downie.

mikethelegacy

formerly mikelegacy
May 9, 2013
Pittsburgh, Pa
Scuds is great at defending the rush, but that's it. He's such a negative in puck moving and he's average at defending in the zone. Despres should just give him the puck and let him hang himself with it rather than trying to do two jobs and looking average at it.

I agree with you. Every time I tell myself, "wow, Scuds made a decent play there", it's almost always him showing some good defending off the rush.

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
Scuds hasn't been as bad as people are making him out to be. I'm not saying he's been good,but people are talking like he's been Josef Melichar bad.

If we didn't have a long jam of young defensemen and need a winger people wouldn't be complaining all that much because in reality he's an ok bottom pair guy.

There's two different arguments and they are being combined into one thought.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
Scuds hasn't been as bad as people are making him out to be. I'm not saying he's been good,but people are talking like he's been Josef Melichar bad.

If we didn't have a long jam of young defensemen and need a winger people wouldn't be complaining all that much because in reality he's an ok bottom pair guy.

There's two different arguments and they are being combined into one thought.

He still needs to go regardless. Pens can't afford to pay 3.5M for a decent bottom pairing defensemen.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I think Beau is getting closer to being normal.

I found some footage (below) of him working out some kinks in his wrist while his ankle/leg heals.
eQgsbzt.gif

So remember we were having this discussion about how long Malkin would be on wing, and people insisted it was only until he got his legs under him.

I remember citing Johnston mentioning Beau's health and Sutter not having a winger as an extra reason, and people said 'well, that's just for now'.

Well . . . http://triblive.com/sports/penguins...viewpenguins+(Penguins+Stories)#axzz3GG7tcXRU.

“As he gets his legs going, there is an option at that time to move him to center,” Johnston said of Malkin. “But if their line is playing like they have been, I really like the line. Dupuis has had lots of jump. I like the mixture of the speed on one side, playmaking on the other. Sutter controls it through the middle. I don't mind that line right now. We'll see how it goes through the course of the next two games.”

Ok, that sounds good, but . . .

Johnston also pointed to Beau Bennett's impending return in early November from a lower-body injury as something that could impact that line. “I'm not set either way until maybe we get Bennett back, then maybe we'll make a decision from there,” Johnston said.

So, is Malkin's playing wing tied to his health or to Beau's?

If it's the former, then it's ok. If it's the latter, then it's bull**** of Bylsma proportions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad