GDT: 2014 Free Agent Frenzy (July 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
I remember Free Agency slows down on day 2, but I didn't expect it to slow down as much as it has.

BCS

Feb 18, 2008
Bummer. Grabo and Kulemin are solid. They'll help the Isles.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Wow...Impressive by Snow. The Islanders now look like a playoff team.

I'm not sure I'd go that far. But I think, barring injury to a top player, they've done enough to get out of the bottom-10 in the league and will flirt with the playoffs.

I've seen worse top-9's:

Strome-Tavares-Okposo
Kulemin-Grabovski-Grabner
Nelson-Nielsen-Lee/Bailey (?)

sjci

Feb 13, 2007
Buffalo
Don't think we should be too worried with those pickups. While they seem nice, Grabo had 13 goals on a high 16% shooting percentage. Kulemin meanwhile, since coming into the league very nicely, has had 3 very sub par years. 7, 7, and 9 goals the past 3 seasons (one of the 7s was in the lockout year so prorated comes out to 12 goals). Grabo has good possession stats, but Kulemin hasn't for the past while, so again, nice signings for them, but I'm not overly worried at this time

Kulemin Adv Stats:

CF% 41.3%
Similar to Sabres: Weber and McBain

Last edited:

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Nichols didn't elaborate any further than that on Twitter, so we'll have to wait a few more minutes for the hour three podcast to be posted here. FYI, Dreger was on at 12:36 PST per this tweet.
All this was was Dreger talking third line centers and Toronto (and name-dropped Legwand and Vrbata, no to Grabovski) before adding that "Ottawa and Buffalo are also on that trail for centermen." You can listen at the 34 minute mark: https://soundcloud.com/sekeres-and-price/sekeres-and-price-july-2nd-hour-3

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
who knows, they could make the playoffs or be the worst team in their division. They are still in that grouping with Toronto, Carolina, Ottawa, Winnipeg, Washington and New Jersey and Nashville as teams that could be picking #3 or #20. So much unpredictability in a weak eastern conference makes it nearly impossible to predict them.

Based on the past it's more likely to be a top 10 pick then not, but who knows. They have alot of question marks still and they still are the islanders.

Last year when Tavares went down hurt they were tied for 28th overall in the NHL, and finished the year on a late season run. So many variables, I would say a lot rides on injuries, and getting off to a decent start and gaining momentum.

I don't expect these two signings to be the difference in making/missing the playoffs.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Arthur Staple ‏@StapeNewsday 1m

Garth Snow: "It's like fishing. You put your line in the water and you hope for some nibbles. We got two big bites today." #Isles

JTyler48

Jan 26, 2014
Grabovski is a decent player. Kulemin, whatever. I don't think this changes much.

This.

They were 18-26-5 with Vanek and Tavares last year. Those guys aren't better than Vanek. IMO they stayed the same at forward, MAYBE improved a little bit, downgraded at defense and improved a bit in goal.

Season lays on the shoulders of Halak and Tavares.

IMO still a top 10 pick.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
This.

They were 18-26-5 with Vanek and Tavares last year. Those guys aren't better than Vanek. IMO they stayed the same at forward, MAYBE improved a little bit, downgraded at defense and improved a bit in goal.

Season lays on the shoulders of Halak and Tavares.

IMO still a top 10 pick.

For me.

It's going to come down to if Garth can swing a deal for a solid top 4 Dman...and who it is

If he does that...then I'll be disappointed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad