GDT: 2014 Free Agent Frenzy (July 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
This thread's for discussing free agency; i.e., rumors, speculation, visits, signings and such. Also, per Kevin Allen, this summer's top 25 NHL unrestricted free agents are:
1. Defenseman Matt Niskanen (Pittsburgh Penguins): The defenseman pool is shallow, and Niskanen, 27, is coming off a breakthrough season. He's a puck mover and has improved his defensive play. With the Philadelphia Flyers' Andrew MacDonald signing for $5 million a season, Niskanen's expectations might start at $5.5 million and move upward. The Penguins want to re-sign him, and he likes it in Pittsburgh. He'll have to decide whether he wants to swing with all of his might or take slightly less to stay with the Penguins.

2. Jarome Iginla (Boston Bruins): He is aging (37 on July 1), but he's tough, physical and still skilled enough to score 30 goals if surrounded with high-quality players.

3. Center Paul Stastny (Colorado Avalanche): With several teams looking for centers and/or skilled offensive players, he will be sought after. In addition to being a high-quality playmaker, he's exceptional on faceoffs and strong defensively. The Avalanche should make every effort to re-sign him.

4. Left wing Jussi Jokinen (Pittsburgh): The Penguins will miss him if they don't re-sign him. He was an effective player after they landed him from the Carolina Hurricanes last spring. He's better than you think.

5. Left wing Matt Moulson (Minnesota Wild): You know what you will get from Moulson: He's a 24- to 30-goal scorer, and he should be good for 50 points.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
does anyone think we will go after Niskanen? it will cost alot but he could help with the loss of Ehrhoff, he is only 27 so should be relatively young when we are contending for the playoffs. He is a legit top 4 guy who is only getting better, although I doubt he comes close to last years point totals. Anton Stralman might be another, I don't think we are looking to sign scrubs.

He seems like the type that is going to go for the money, and playing opportunity opposed to trying to win.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
does anyone think we will go after Niskanen? it will cost alot but he could help with the loss of Ehrhoff, he is only 27 so should be relatively young when we are contending for the playoffs. He is a legit top 4 guy who is only getting better, although I doubt he comes close to last years point totals. Anton Stralman might be another, I don't think we are looking to sign scrubs.

He seems like the type that is going to go for the money, and playing opportunity opposed to trying to win.

Whichever one is younger is the one Id go after.... but Im assuming they're within a year or 2 of eachother based on both being FA's .. so ..

Id just really hate to have one of those guys at 6 mill for 6 years...

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY

I hope so. He would basically be our Ehrhoff replacement, albeit younger and still can progress with our core. We can also over pay a boatload of money to him because of us needing to get to the floor.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
They'll be making tons of offers... and striking out a lot...

i'll throw some offers out there...

Group 1: Very Unlikley but take a swing...
Stastny 7 yrs / 7 mil per
Iginla 3 yrs / 10 mil per

Group 2: Big Offers, Good Fits, but Unlikely
Michalek 5 yrs / 5 mil per
Orpik 3 yrs / 5 mil per
Niskanen 5 yrs / 5.5 per

Group 3: High Offers, Good Fits, Good Chance
B.Boyle 4 yrs / 4.25 mil per
Bolland 5 yrs / 5 mil per
Stralman 5 yrs / 6.2 per
Moulson 5 yrs / 6. per
Ott 5 yrs / 4.5 per
Pouliot 4 yrs / 3.5 per
Stempniak 3 yrs / 3.75 per
Winnik 3 yrs / 3 per
Goc 3 yrs / 2.5 per

Group 4: Low level, roster depth, need to spend somewhere
McClement 2 yrs / 2.1 per
McCormick 3 yrs / 2 per
Glass 2 yrs / 2 per
S.Bernier 2 yrs / 2 per
Skille 1 yr / 1 per

Karate Johnson*

I originally wasn't very excited for FAF because I figured our signings were going to be in the coming weeks... Overpaying veteran players without a home.

But with the amount we have to spend I now expect a big move tuesday Overpaying a young ufa to be a big part of the future. If we can convince someone to be patient.

Obviously a trade can be a part of acquiring a young player with term or possibly with an extension.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada

Orpik 3 yrs / 5 mil per
Niskanen 5 yrs / 5.5 per

Stralman 5 yrs / 6.2 per
Moulson 5 yrs / 6. per
Ott 5 yrs / 4.5 per
Pouliot 4 yrs / 3.5 per
Winnik 3 yrs / 3 per
Goc 3 yrs / 2.5 per

McCormick 3 yrs / 2 per
Glass 2 yrs / 2 per
S.Bernier 2 yrs / 2 per
Skille 1 yr / 1 per

Don't forget Peter Mueller who wants to come back and will get a contract after the year he just had.

Out of that list McClement, Stempniak and Moulson seem like possibilities. Maybe even Dave Bolland who seems to just be after the $$$. Pouliot and Santorelli might also be guys looking for opportunity in a top 6 role.

Fly Boy

Aye Sir!
Jul 29, 2009
Michigan

Orpik 3 yrs / 5 mil per
Niskanen 5 yrs / 5.5 per

Stralman 5 yrs / 6.2 per
Moulson 5 yrs / 6. per
Ott 5 yrs / 4.5 per
Pouliot 4 yrs / 3.5 per
Winnik 3 yrs / 3 per
Goc 3 yrs / 2.5 per

McCormick 3 yrs / 2 per
Glass 2 yrs / 2 per
S.Bernier 2 yrs / 2 per
Skille 1 yr / 1 per

Those are the ones I would court.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Don't forget Peter Mueller who wants to come back and will get a contract after the year he just had.

Out of that list McClement, Stempniak and Moulson seem like possibilities. Maybe even Dave Bolland who seems to just be after the $$$. Pouliot and Santorelli might also be guys looking for opportunity in a top 6 role.

Bolland should be after the money. He's got 2 rings... He's young enough to still have a shot at a relatively large contract for the type of player he is.

He's fit our leadership needs, center/defense needs.... I'd have no problem dumping a truck load in his lap even knowing his injury history and limited offensive ability.

Brian Boyle is my #1 target (realistic target)

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Bolland should be after the money. He's got 2 rings... He's young enough to still have a shot at a relatively large contract for the type of player he is.

He's fit our leadership needs, center/defense needs.... I'd have no problem dumping a truck load in his lap even knowing his injury history and limited offensive ability.

Rumor is that Bolland wants 7-8 years at 5 per.

I imagine the 5 x 5 has already been offered by Toronto

http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2014/6/...d-maple-leafs-rumors-contract-nhl-free-agency

Either way, I'd cross him off the 'realistic' list as I think he will have plenty of 5x5 offers.

Boyle is probably signable if you offer him that chunk of change. I think I'd rather play goc less for the 4th line center role

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY

Orpik 3 yrs / 5 mil per
Niskanen 5 yrs / 5.5 per

Stralman 5 yrs / 6.2 per
Moulson 5 yrs / 6. per
Ott 5 yrs / 4.5 per
Pouliot 4 yrs / 3.5 per
Winnik 3 yrs / 3 per
Goc 3 yrs / 2.5 per

McCormick 3 yrs / 2 per
Glass 2 yrs / 2 per
S.Bernier 2 yrs / 2 per
Skille 1 yr / 1 per

I like most of these. I think the emphasis should be two of the guys you've been pimping in Boyle and Bolland. Get that good 3rd line lock down center. Bolland would be my preferance because I think he could slide into the top 6 when needed and obviously he's got the playoff experience, leadership, and stanley cup rings. I'd be taking some big swings at Niskanen (who'd fill the void left by Hoff), and Statsny (Very solid top 6 center, very unlikely to land here). I've said before I'd welcome Ott and Moulson back with open arms as well. I've thought for a while Michalek could definitely be a target of Murray's too. He's still under 30, coming off a down year, and Murray has seen a ton of him from his Ottawa days I do think 5 million a year is a little on the steep side for him, but who knows what kind of funny money people will be throwing at him.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
Signing Iginla for a year or two would be cool, mainly just so I could buy his jersey.

TehDoak

Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Signing Iginla for a year or two would be cool, mainly just so I could buy his jersey.

Unless Iginla wants to go earn his money here, then go to a contender at the deadline (which i doubt) I don't see it.

He is likely going to go to a contender.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013

Boyle is being pursued hard by Toronto; I saw on TV and heard on the radio over here in Ontario. Bolland and Leafs are so far apart that he will drift and hes a more realistic approach for the Sabres reaching the cap floor. Maple Leafs want to compete now and Boyle will feel a better chance to win there than with us.

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
I don't think I'd like to offer a long contract to anyone after just buying out Leino and Ehrhoff. I'd much rather overpay in a ridiculous way for shorter term. I think that down the road we need to have some flexibility. Right now we just need warm bodies and reach the floor.

TehDoak

Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
My thoughts are this:

Orpik: 4 years, 5 million per. A bit of an investment, but likely outbids most other teams at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino