GDT: 2014 Free Agent Frenzy (July 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karate Johnson*

If I'm trading a pick for Johanson I'm trading Buffalos pick.

Add Johanson to this squad and the Sabres will be better than the Isles.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
A quantity trade for Hodgson only makes sense in the future, if he's being displaced by better players, to replenish the pipeline and ensure we always have ELC's coming into the roster. Right now he and Ennis are our only young forwards who've proven anything at the NHL level, even if what they've proven is that they're 2nd liners with holes.

Offensively, Hodgson is a perfect guy to pair with incoming youngsters, much like Moulson. These guys know how to produce within the flow of offense. They can finish chances and produce on the PP. I see no value in dumping him for guys who would struggle to crack the top 10 of our prospect pool.

It has to be someone who is either as good or projects to be as good as Hodgson if we're trading him at this point in time. The same goes for Ennis.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
A quantity trade for Hodgson only makes sense in the future, if he's being displaced by better players, to replenish the pipeline and ensure we always have ELC's coming into the roster. Right now he and Ennis are our only young forwards who've proven anything at the NHL level, even if what they've proven is that they're 2nd liners with holes.

Offensively, Hodgson is a perfect guy to pair with incoming youngsters, much like Moulson. These guys know how to produce within the flow of offense. They can finish chances and produce on the PP. I see no value in dumping him for guys who would struggle to crack the top 10 of our prospect pool.

It has to be someone who is either as good or projects to be as good as Hodgson if we're trading him at this point in time. The same goes for Ennis.

I thinking about this some more, I would likely only move Hodgson if it were a clear long term upgrade.

Outside of that, there isn't much of a point.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Why hasn't Steve Ott been signed anywhere yet, and why hasn't he signed with Buffalo yet? With all the paper Murray was signing yesterday I figured Ott was a sure thing. Maybe Ott already told Buffalo he is a sure thing, so there's no need to rush??

couture23

Jun 23, 2012
Toronto
Why hasn't Steve Ott been signed anywhere yet, and why hasn't he signed with Buffalo yet? With all the paper Murray was signing yesterday I figured Ott was a sure thing. Maybe Ott already told Buffalo he is a sure thing, so there's no need to rush??

Not really a need/fit anymore..

couture23

Jun 23, 2012
Toronto
Yeah I was just reading some other comments about that in the Gionta thread. I thought he really wanted back though...maybe he signs for 1 mil, lol.

We got our leadership group for the next several years with Gionta/Gorges/Moulson, and I'd rather give a bottom six spot to Larsson or Deslauriers than Ott :dunno:

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
We got our leadership group for the next several years with Gionta/Gorges/Moulson, and I'd rather give a bottom six spot to Larsson or Deslauriers than Ott :dunno:

I agree, but as far as veteran signings went I thought Ott was a foregone conclusion. There would be room if Murray trades Stafford/Stewart, but maybe that deal doesn't happen until the TDL.

sjci

Feb 13, 2007
Buffalo
Brj6HKZCcAAvO07.jpg

Apocalypse warning: Tim Murray smiling :scared:

Mit Yarrum

HoF Turd Shiner
Apr 1, 2010
Where would he fit on the roster?

Anywhere on the wings. 4th line, wherever.

I think he's a decent NHL player that would be a great influence on young guys.

I think he'll want term with someone, so we're probably out, but ideally I'd love him on the squad for the next few years.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Anywhere on the wings. 4th line, wherever.

I think he's a decent NHL player that would be a great influence on young guys.

I think he'll want term with someone, so we're probably out, but ideally I'd love him on the squad for the next few years.

They already have a boatload of 3rd/4th liners.

Foligno-Larsson-Stewart
Deslauriers-McCormick-Kaleta
Flynn-Mitchell

If Reinhart sticks, then Girgensons is in that mix, too.

Mit Yarrum

HoF Turd Shiner
Apr 1, 2010
They already have a boatload of 3rd/4th liners.

Foligno-Larsson-Stewart
Deslauriers-McCormick-Kaleta
Flynn-Mitchell

If Reinhart sticks, then Girgensons is in that mix, too.

I'd move Kaleta out of the lineup yesterday if it meant signing Ott. And Flynn and Mitchell can ride the pressbox.

Karate Johnson*

Chris Nichols @NicholsOnHockey 1m
Dreger: #Sens, #Sabres are on the trail for centremen.

^ Dreger's on Team 1040.

We are looking for a center along with the Sens, or we are talking with the Sens about a center.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad