GDT: 2014 Free Agent Frenzy (July 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
@Real_ESPNLeBrun: Fiddler re-signs with Dallas, two years, $2.5 M total; $1 M next season and $1.5 M in 2015-16

Karate Johnson*

I'm a little annoyed no moves today.

Everyday should be exciting.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
I'm not sure I'd go that far. But I think, barring injury to a top player, they've done enough to get out of the bottom-10 in the league and will flirt with the playoffs.

I've seen worse top-9's:

Strome-Tavares-Okposo
Kulemin-Grabovski-Grabner
Nelson-Nielsen-Lee/Bailey (?)
Still behind Boston, Detroit, Tampa, Pittsburgh, Philly and possibly the Rangers. They need to add a defenseman (or Reinhart's a #1 out of the gate and I'm an *******), and hope Jaroslav "I've been injured in 2 of my last 3 seasons" Halak breaks 50 games. Also, sneaky-bad part of the team - Tavares' goals against rates. Maybe the first line gets a little more sound with the more selective deployments Nielsen/Grabovski allows, but it's definitely something to watch for.

Don't think we should be too worried with those pickups. While they seem nice, Grabo had 13 goals on a high 16% shooting percentage. Kulemin meanwhile, since coming into the league very nicely, has had 3 very sub par years. 7, 7, and 9 goals the past 3 seasons (one of the 7s was in the lockout year so prorated comes out to 12 goals). Grabo has good possession stats, but Kulemin hasn't for the past while, so again, nice signings for them, but I'm not overly worried at this time

Kulemin Adv Stats:

CF% 41.3%
Similar to Sabres: Weber and McBain
One of the most basic advanced stats principles: compare to teammates, not a vacuum. Everyone asked to play shutdown minutes on the leafs had a terrible Corsi.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Still behind Boston, Detroit, Tampa, Pittsburgh, Philly and possibly the Rangers. They need to add a defenseman (or Reinhart's a #1 out of the gate and I'm an *******), and hope Jaroslav "I've been injured in 2 of my last 3 seasons" Halak breaks 50 games. Also, sneaky-bad part of the team - Tavares' goals against rates. Maybe the first line gets a little more sound with the more selective deployments Nielsen/Grabovski allows, but it's definitely something to watch for.

One of the most basic advanced stats principles: compare to teammates, not a vacuum. Everyone asked to play shutdown minutes on the leafs had a terrible Corsi.

I think Philly falls flat on their faces this year. They'll be this year's Vancouver. (And then they'll win the lottery and get McDavid :cry: )

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
Mason is a competent 60 game starter, Giroux is a beast, and they have depth at forward. If Berube can figure out which 4 defensemen suck the least before game 42 they'll be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad