Prospect Info: 2014 Development Camp

bornNraised Sens

Apr 8, 2014
I have watched this kid closely, up close and personal, over a number of camps now. I haven't called him a "bust" based on a casual observation of one scrimmage. I have kept close eye on him as a first round pick, hoping to see evidence of someone who can standout and be an impact player. Playing against his peers, and now against players who SHOULD be beneath him for the most part, I haven't seen it. I respect the season he had last year and I hope he has a big year. I'm not calling for his head. I'm just expressing the entirely reasonable opinion, and one shared by many, that he might not pan out.

I agree with what your saying the only argument I would mainly have is that for Purmpel a camp like this isn't where he will be putting his effort in. For these camps he might showcase his skills and I think he isn't putting the most effort in while the younger guys will put the effort in.

Last edited by a moderator:

koreaboy

Oct 14, 2010
Possibly, but if a guy isn't willing to put in effort in a showcase like this, it speaks to his character and longterm desire and ability to have an impact.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
I'm not. I've never said we need to get rid if him. I've just said this has to be a big year for the kid. He needs to start demonstrating that he can actually play for us at some point and be a useful player. He needs to do that by ripping up the A, earning callups, and them when he gets here, at least showing flashes of something that makes us think he might be ready. I hope it happens and I hope he gets the chance to do that.

But he didn't help himself by being a pretty mediocre player this week playing amongst high school, college, and mostly younger players who he should be clearly ahead of.

He demonstrated that last year in the AHL, a pretty seamless transition the ahl is about as much as you ask of a late first rounder.

He didn't hurt himself either, because 70 games as a 30 scorer among solid nhl prospects and veteran professionals trumps 1 scrimmage in development camp in July. Since you've been to development camp you can probably tell how far off most the players are from being in the nhl , if you've seen an ahl game you can tell it isn't that far off.

70 real games vs 1 scrimmage in July.

The people in charge aren't really watching puempel, Cecil, clEsson, lazar, stone in these things, they are watching the fringe guys to see who emerges. Not much different than a lock at WjC camp who can play poorly at tryout camp and make it. They use those camps primarily to watch the bubble group.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
Possibly, but if a guy isn't willing to put in effort in a showcase like this, it speaks to his character and longterm desire and ability to have an impact.

Perhaps you're making a leap on "effort". Most of these guys haven't played in a real game in several months. Who gets up for that? Probably the guys with loads to prove, and I suppose a guy like mark stone who in 6 years may well be the best nhl player in the camp, and he's one of the oldest here as well.

Either way, if you're equating a bad game here with, "man, puempel is one of the worst players here", well, that's absurd.

Not much different than the preseason heroes every year that lose steam when the real games mTter. Or the nhl studs that coast in preseason.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
But don't expect Puemps to be an electric flashy player ala Ovechkin or Gaborik. More something between Butler and Heatley

Finally, someone has said it. Puempel is a goal scorer. He can be invisible for 59 minutes of the game, get open in the slot, and pop one in and everyone loves him.

90% of goal scorers are complimentary players unless your someone like Bure or Ovechkin. As long as your not a defensive liability on your side, and don't go too long during droughts, your fine.

Watching a handful of Islander games (of a couple years ago) you would be astonished to realize Moulson was a 3x 30 goal scorer if he didn't score that night. Same deal with Puempel

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
Finally, someone has said it. Puempel is a goal scorer. He can be invisible for 59 minutes of the game, get open in the slot, and pop one in and everyone loves him.

90% of goal scorers are complimentary players unless your someone like Bure or Ovechkin. As long as your not a defensive liability on your side, and don't go too long during droughts, your fine.

Watching a handful of Islander games (of a couple years ago) you would be astonished to realize Moulson was a 3x 30 goal scorer if he didn't score that night. Same deal with Puempel

Yeah and you just need to make sure that other than opportune snipes, he fulfills his role as a team defensive player. Sounds like he bought in with richardsson last year.

Powdered Toast Man

Is he a ham?
Nov 22, 2005
I think people around here often fail to realize that a player giving effort manifests differently depending on what kind of game that player plays. Gretzky didn't turn into a hitting machine when he felt like trying.

A goal scorer who hasn't scored in that shift/game/series isn't necessarily lacking effort.

HonestSenator

Dec 11, 2013

Wow. I think you've used up more time on this topic than the kids actually played in the scrimmage.

Let it go. He has proven that he is a dependable goal scorer. Wicked shot. Some sandpaper too.

Are we really questioning his 'Character?, really?. From what I've seen he's got tons of character.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

Yeah exactly. Moulson is pretty hard I notice on the ice.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
You guys have managed to infer this much about Puempel's future from a limited viewing scrimmage and practice drills session when NHL scouts need upwards of 10 games of actual competitive action to make an assessment of a player? The very definition of how absurd this board can be sometimes.

bigfatfist

Apr 17, 2012
Wow. I think you've used up more time on this topic than the kids actually played in the scrimmage.

Let it go. He has proven that he is a dependable goal scorer. Wicked shot. Some sandpaper too.

Are we really questioning his 'Character?, really?. From what I've seen he's got tons of character.

Luke Richardson came out last week and said he was really impressed Puempel's work. Always asking for video, always asking the right questions, committed to becoming more responsible defensively. Seems like he nothing but good things to say about his character. When we drafted him the knocks were his skating and his size - well by all reports he's worked diligently on the former, and he's only grown into 200+ lbs frame and started fighting. The kid will be fine. His goal scoring instincts are off the charts, you can't teach that.i don't mind if he gives up the limelight a bit to the younger guys at a meaningless scrimmage. I care that he shows up at the end of the year!!! Anyways, with the exception of the camp where he was here but hurt, hasn't he always looked a little ho-hum in DevCamp?

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Puempel isnt a good fighter. We better hope he takes that part out of his game or hes going to get hurt

Mr Invidious

May 12, 2014
The sooner this thread moves on from Puempel, the sooner I can stop reading comments become more increasingly odd and inane.

Tobias Lindberg impressed me tremendously. Go.

FireMelnyk

Jun 3, 2006
The sooner this thread moves on from Puempel, the sooner I can stop reading comments become more increasingly odd and inane.

You're right, compared to Puempel he looked like a super star for sure. :sarcasm:

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com

That is fantastic news. I was really hoping he would have a great camp.

I have not had the chance to see him yet. My understanding is that he is a longer project, maybe 2 or 3 years until he gets a real shot. Would you say that is correct, or do you think his play warrants a closer look already?

koreaboy

Oct 14, 2010
He demonstrated that last year in the AHL, a pretty seamless transition the ahl is about as much as you ask of a late first rounder.

He didn't hurt himself either, because 70 games as a 30 scorer among solid nhl prospects and veteran professionals trumps 1 scrimmage in development camp in July. Since you've been to development camp you can probably tell how far off most the players are from being in the nhl , if you've seen an ahl game you can tell it isn't that far off.

70 real games vs 1 scrimmage in July.

The people in charge aren't really watching puempel, Cecil, clEsson, lazar, stone in these things, they are watching the fringe guys to see who emerges. Not much different than a lock at WjC camp who can play poorly at tryout camp and make it. They use those camps primarily to watch the bubble group.

I frequently go to these camps, I've seen this kid within arms reach of me on at least a dozen occasions, and as a first round pick I've made a special point of watching him. I respect the season he had in the AHL. I have to give Luke Richardson, with his 1000+ games of NHL experience, a ton of credence when he tells me he likes the kid. But I've seen what I've seen, other people have too, and when I've never seen this kid stand out in any major way against his peers again and again now, I have every right to question how much of an impact he's going to have at the next level. .

I'm done with this topic. We'll see who's right. I'm here saying that Puempel won't end up being an impact player at the NHL level.

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
I have watched this kid closely, up close and personal, over a number of camps now. I haven't called him a "bust" based on a casual observation of one scrimmage. I have kept close eye on him as a first round pick, hoping to see evidence of someone who can standout and be an impact player. Playing against his peers, and now against players who SHOULD be beneath him for the most part, I haven't seen it. I respect the season he had last year and I hope he has a big year. I'm not calling for his head. I'm just expressing the entirely reasonable opinion, and one shared by many, that he might not pan out.

A lot of these other players are not only trying to impress the NHL staff -- but they are trying to earn a spot that Peumpel has already earned in the AHL. If he is waiting until August /September to really show his stuff I would not blame him. I am certain that our other top prospect Lazar also looks off at this camp because they are at low points in their training regime.

I also believe you do not understand the plateaus and dips in performance that come with being a young professional athlete. This even happens when training as an amateur athlete. I have witnessed it as a competitor in Archery, with myself and also saw it with other athletes throughout a season. I saw when I coached archery as well for 10 years.

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
I think people around here often fail to realize that a player giving effort manifests differently depending on what kind of game that player plays. Gretzky didn't turn into a hitting machine when he felt like trying.

A goal scorer who hasn't scored in that shift/game/series isn't necessarily lacking effort.

People want Olympic gold every time and have no idea how much training, timing, and luck come into that. If an amateur athlete peaks at the wrong time during an Olympic year it could totally screw their chances of a medal. We don't even think about that with individual NHL players, nor teams.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Alright, cut it out.

tumblr_m1mj8v9Ow71qkzq2g.jpg

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
I frequently go to these camps, I've seen this kid within arms reach of me on at least a dozen occasions, and as a first round pick I've made a special point of watching him. I respect the season he had in the AHL. I have to give Luke Richardson, with his 1000+ games of NHL experience, a ton of credence when he tells me he likes the kid. But I've seen what I've seen, other people have too, and when I've never seen this kid stand out in any major way against his peers again and again now, I have every right to question how much of an impact he's going to have at the next level.

I'm done with this topic. We'll see who's right. I'm here saying that Puempel won't end up being an impact player at the NHL level.

Like I said, if Puempel fails to translate, it won't have anything to do with a failed individual development camp scrimmage in July.

We'll see who's right about what? Where the kid ends up? I've offered no opinion on that. Just that it's, uh, "not smart" to put so much stock into isolated mid-summer scrimmages.

Ifall we had was a couple years of development camp and rookie tournaments, I'd be saying, "yeah well, so far he certainly hasn't been impressive, it's hard to see it working" Up until this past season, that's pretty much what it looked like, but then he goes and has a very strong rookie season at the highest level by far he's ever played. That kinda washes out past development camp stuff which falls significantly lower on the hierarchy of importance and it turns this one failed game in July scrimmage into a very poor sample size to add to the fact that these games aren't important anyways. Especially not for guys who have tickets booked to the real camp.

My opinion on Puempel despite not showing all that well at these camps has always been: His scoring touch is very undeniable, he shoots the puck the way no other play in any camp he's been too for us does. He has a good chance to be an NHL goal scorer in whatever capacity as long as the rest of his game is developed.

You're best off forming an opinion when he gets to main camp. He's going to be there certainly because of what he did last year, which significantly trumps all this development camp stuff.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
Yeah. I like how "I don't really have an educated opinion" is being interpreted as "This player is amazing."

Ya I can only speak for myself but like I said, if someone said they watched him in bingo a bunch last year and he wasn't that great, disinterested, got lucky , etc. Fine.

I guess the best way to explain is I have a pet peeve about negative evaluations of development camp performances. Sure itnsounds lacking of objectivity to say it's fine to have positive reviews, but really, why ever **** on someone for being positive. It doesn't change much for me, just Tobias lindberg showed well and ppl liked what they saw doesn't tell me the guy is gonna be a player. It tells me there's one notch on his belt towards getting into main camp at some point and getting a real chance to show what he's got.

I guess what I mean is, when the game or evaluation isn't that important, you might as well just focus on positives. And if you are gonna focus on negatives, might as well focus on the fringe guys that have something to win or lose in these things.

I can live with lazar sucked tonight in the scrimmage (hypothetical), but lazar sucked tonight and in other development camps (hypothetical again) so I dont think he's gonna make it. That irks me. I guess that's my issue for having not the ability to ignore it.

Maybe I have something against Korea. I dunno. ;-)

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: