Prospect Info: 2014 Development Camp

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
I think maybe you are putting too much into him being a first round pick. Where he was picked, the odds of being an impact player in the NHL is very low. At 24 overall you are generally closer to a fringe NHLer as opposed to even a regular. 1/3 don't even play a full season in the NHL.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=455673

So why there may be room for concern, the fact is his chance at being an NHL regular where he was picked was only 60%, so taking a bit longer is not unexpected.

Every first and second round pick the Sens have made since 2008 has played in Ottawa with the exception of Noeson (traded), Puempel, Lazar and Prince. That kind of scouting is prodigious when you consider Lazar is a sure fire NHLer and that Puempel and Prince are knocking on the door and will almost certainly see NHL action within the next 12 months.

Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2010
Canada
Don't think I called him a fool. Don't think anyone did.

Just said his thought processes were poor. And they are.

If someone watched him play in the AHL last year and told me he didn't think anything would translate to the NHL, here's why, that sort of thing, I'd be like cool.

But bagging on a guy that's succeeded at a much higher level because he didn't show up in a development camp amongst a bunch of kids that won't play in the NHL ever. Cmon.

Wasn't aiming at you, but yeah this morning someone called that guy a fool, which isn't right.

And I agree with your opinion BTW, I'll take the 30 goal AHL season over a meaningless game in July. Heck I'll wait and see in training camp and pre-season before forming an opinion.

DoctorDoak

Mar 21, 2006
Ontario
Every first and second round pick the Sens have made since 2008 has played in Ottawa with the exception of Noeson (traded), Puempel, Lazar and Prince. That kind of scouting is prodigious when you consider Lazar is a sure fire NHLer and that Puempel and Prince are knocking on the door and will almost certainly see NHL action within the next 12 months.

Prince is not a first rounder...

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Bros lay off the guy, he probably watched more Puempel than most of you yet everyone bashing his opinion. A simple, nah I don't agree because... the ridiculous sarcastic responses are getting old.

Lol ya just don't **** on him if he doesn't blow you away with points. He was under a ppg in Sweden junior last year. It's important toa degree id say

Over the years I've noticed that some top or good prospects don't rack up the points in swedish jr league but come over to AHL or whatever and perform very well. For some reason it's not as easy a league to stack the points as the CHL for instance. I unno why but I wouldn't put too much stock into it.

I'm honestly in disbelief that people are somehow putting more stock in the opinion of an HFBoard poster, who likely has zero relevant hockey experience, watching a scrimmage in JULY, over a 30 goal rookie season in the American league. Hockey fans suck

Well delivered message, you must be a total class.

Mr Invidious

May 12, 2014
Bros lay off the guy, he probably watched more Puempel than most of you yet everyone bashing his opinion. A simple, nah I don't agree because... the ridiculous sarcastic responses are getting old.

How do you come to this conclusion exactly?

Besides, I could watch a player for an entire season each and every game. If I'm terrible at evaluating talent, my opinion wouldn't be anymore valid than someone else who hasn't watched him play as much as I did.

Puempel didn't play lights out in a development camp scrimmage.

Puempel did put up 30 goals as a 20 year old in the "B" league of the best league in the world.

Labeling him a "bust" deserves a rebuttal and he's getting one.

Artanis

Dec 1, 2011
Ottawa
I don't see how you guys aren't atleast realizing what he's saying, and honestly he's right.
He can score 30 goals in the AHL? Great. That means he should easily be better against these kids who are a lot younger/less experienced etc.

It's HIS opinion, which what was asked for. Should he bash all of you for not siding with him?
Jesus...

FireMelnyk

Jun 3, 2006
Puempel looked really poor yesterday. All of the other AHL/NHL players were noticeable but he didn't do anything all game. Maybe he got word that he might be traded and wanted to downplay his ability to the Chicago scouts. Either way I was unimpressed.

I guess like all the other posters here he knows that he already made it to the NHL since he scored 30G last year, so why put in an effort. That sounds like the right attitude for this team.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
How do you come to this conclusion exactly?

Besides, I could watch a player for an entire season each and every game. If I'm terrible at evaluating talent, my opinion wouldn't be anymore valid than someone else who hasn't watched him play as much as I did.

Puempel didn't play lights out in a development camp scrimmage.

Puempel did put up 30 goals as a 20 year old in the "B" league of the best league in the world.

Labeling him a "bust" deserves a rebuttal and he's getting one.

There's a difference between a rebuttal and what others have been saying. Btw, scoring 30 goals in A in rookie year doesn't mean he isn't gonna bust lool..

I'm huge Puempel fan btw.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
There's a difference between a rebuttal and what others have been saying. Btw, scoring 30 goals in A in rookie year doesn't mean he isn't gonna bust lool..

Nope, but neither does having a bad rookie camp. Looking good at rookie camps doesn't mean squat either. Filatov looked great at rookie camp.

The issue is putting too much emphasis on any one thing. And I really think calling a player a potential bust because he doesn't stand out in a rookie training camp is doing just that. It's certainly not a positive, but I'll take Richardson's praise of him down in Bingo over a full season, combined with his performance there, over training camp any day if the goal is projecting future success.

Mr Invidious

May 12, 2014

And him having a poor scrimmage game at a development camp doesn't mean he is going to bust.

See the problem here?

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
I've been posting with Koreaboy for quite a few years on various forums. I don't always agree with him, not even close, but he's been pretty good with prospect evaluations over the years. Does that mean Puempel will be a bust, of course not, but that's not what he said. He said he could be leaning that way as he wasn't impressed with his level of competition at this camp.

Nothing wrong with that, let's wait and see how Puempel does in the NHL camp. If he has a good showing maybe Koreaboy will say he misjudged him.

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
Wow Mark Stone's team even won the cooking challenge at dev camp, this kids the complete package.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Probably not enough information to say yet. Even if you're one to take something from the drills and skill tough, it's not gonna tell you much about wikstrand.

No one said he sucked in the scrimmage, but no ones saying he stood out either.

Not sure if you were at the scrimmage or not but Wikstrand looked solid. As you said, he didn`t stand out not like Karlsson did at his development camp but he made a number of nice safe plays. I think in my discription of him I said he was a lite version of Claesson & I still think that.

Wikstrand could turn out to be more offensive but Claesson came in as being more defensive & just last yr with substantial more ice time became more offensive. I could see the reverse happening to Wikstrand where he becomes much better defensively which I believe is a bit of a fault in his game. Anyway, I thought he played very well at both ends of the ice like a guy who has played a couple of seasons in Bingo, he looks solid & smooth. In time, he could be a steal for the Sens.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
I've been posting with Koreaboy for quite a few years on various forums. I don't always agree with him, not even close, but he's been pretty good with prospect evaluations over the years. Does that mean Puempel will be a bust, of course not, but that's not what he said. He said he could be leaning that way as he wasn't impressed with his level of competition at this camp.

Nothing wrong with that, let's wait and see how Puempel does in the NHL camp. If he has a good showing maybe Koreaboy will say he misjudged him.

My point is this, if puempel busts, I'm not gonna be like "well, Koreaboy was right". Why? Because he appears to have determined this by watching scrimmages.

If someone has watched puempel in games that matter, recently, and they have reasons to believe he may not translate to the NHL. Giver. Could be right or wrong but at least they are watching the stuff that matters.

By now I'm probably a "puempel guy" in some eyes. I'm not. I haven't seen him play meaningful game in a long time.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
Puempel looked really poor yesterday. All of the other AHL/NHL players were noticeable but he didn't do anything all game. Maybe he got word that he might be traded and wanted to downplay his ability to the Chicago scouts. Either way I was unimpressed.

I guess like all the other posters here he knows that he already made it to the NHL since he scored 30G last year, so why put in an effort. That sounds like the right attitude for this team.

Lol. Man...

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
My point is this, if puempel busts, I'm not gonna be like "well, Koreaboy was right". Why? Because he appears to have determined this by watching scrimmages.

If someone has watched puempel in games that matter, recently, and they have reasons to believe he may not translate to the NHL. Giver. Could be right or wrong but at least they are watching the stuff that matters.

By now I'm probably a "puempel guy" in some eyes. I'm not. I haven't seen him play meaningful game in a long time.

Actually I was pretty sure you were Puempel or were his mom.

In any case, it was pretty harsh the way you jumped the guy. We're just giving opinions here, no need to get mad.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
The way I see it, everything matters. No such thing as a meaningless scrimmage, practice or game. We want to become a hard-working, *****-to-play-against team, then we need that attitude every time we're on the ice. Does that mean the guys should try and put each other through the boards during prospect games? Of course not...but we need to see high intensity and the right attitude, whether a guy is a lock for the team or not.

Now, do I think Puempel will bust? No
Am I concerned about a lackluster start in development camp? Yes.

The older guys should be doing everything they can to lead, and show the newbies just what they're up against when (or if) they get to main camp. Every session in the weight room, every off-ice event, every practice and scrimmage is another chance to prove yourself to the team. No one can relax and say they have a spot locked up; no one in this camp has their spot penned in as of now.

You've got to earn it. Then you've got to fight to keep it.

That's the attitude we want the team to have and it starts right here, in this camp.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
The way I see it, everything matters. No such thing as a meaningless scrimmage, practice or game. We want to become a hard-working, *****-to-play-against team, then we need that attitude every time we're on the ice. Does that mean the guys should try and put each other through the boards during prospect games? Of course not...but we need to see high intensity and the right attitude, whether a guy is a lock for the team or not.

Now, do I think Puempel will bust? No
Am I concerned about a lackluster start in development camp? Yes.

The older guys should be doing everything they can to lead, and show the newbies just what they're up against when (or if) they get to main camp. Every session in the weight room, every off-ice event, every practice and scrimmage is another chance to prove yourself to the team. No one can relax and say they have a spot locked up; no one in this camp has their spot penned in as of now.

You've got to earn it. Then you've got to fight to keep it.

That's the attitude we want the team to have and it starts right here, in this camp.

Lazar played on the same line as Puempel in the 3 on 3 and did very little himself to establish himself as one of our best prospects, let alone be NHL ready.

Should we set off the alarm bells for Lazar too?

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Lazar played on the same line as Puempel in the 3 on 3 and did very little himself to establish himself as one of our best prospects, let alone be NHL ready.

Concerned =/= setting off alarm bells

And yes, I'd take note of Lazar starting off slowly, as well. In his case, however, we all know just how many games he played this year and how long his season was, so there is a qualifier.

Obviously I'm not saying we should freak out over one scrimmage. But, every scrimmage is worth something. Every practice is worth something. We shouldn't throw anything away here.

x Karlsson x 65

Taste the Rainbow
Apr 21, 2014
Moncton

taco-bell-logo.jpeg

This should get more peoples attention

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad