Prospect Info: 2014 Development Camp

BURY

Oct 15, 2005
Gatineau
Anybody actually went to the 3v3 tournament and can provide comments on the players?

Those of us who have not been to the development camp appreciate the reports and feedbacks from people who were in attendance (e.g., koreaboy's assessment).

Last edited by a moderator:

koreaboy

Oct 14, 2010
Wasn't able to see the 3-on-3, but I wasn't surprised to see that kid tansey's name on the winning team. Of all the prospects that came from nowhere this year, I think he's the one who might have helped himself the most.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I find it amusing that people rarely take issue with glowing reviews of players in developmental scrimmages but are quite sensitive to any perceived slight against a particular player.

I agree with MoO that it's a bit of an unfair extrapolation to characterize a player's future based on a few shifts in the summer.

But I also appreciate it when people point out when someone doesn't really show well, provided we take it with the grain of salt that it deserves.

It's easy to get excited about our prospects but they're not all going to work out and they're not all going to have good days.

The challenge that I have (and I'm sure most people have) is that, if I have a pre-conceived notion of a player, it's hard not to look for certain things - both positive and negative.

tsens

Apr 21, 2014
Anybody actually went to the 3v3 tournament and can provide comments on the players?

Those of us who have not been to the development camp appreciate the reports and feedbacks from people who were in attendance (e.g., koreaboy's assessment). We need more of those and less useless rebuttals.

I was there yesterday morning and while I wasn't really thinking about it too much I could provide my opinions on some players.

Shane Prince: He looked really good, was all over the place and has some nice hands. He really burned some people with some quick moves.

Curtis Lazar: Did not stand out as much as I hoped but I think that is because he is much better suited to really game situations. He works hard, has a great shot and you can see how much he loves playing.

Max McCormic(Spelling?): I was very impressed by him, he looked fast and controlled the puck well. He also went hard to the net with some recklessness that I liked seeing.

Eiserman: This guy looks like a good mid round pick. Has some good awareness is filled out nicely for such a young prospect and he scored a very nice goal.

Puempel: His shot is insane, he just missed a couple of times. Also I would love to see him playing with better players, a couple of times he was open for passes that went into his feet so he could not get the shot off quickly.

Those are the ones I remember off the top of my head, if there is someone you are really interested in feel free to ask and I will see what I can remember.

BURY

Oct 15, 2005
Gatineau
I was there yesterday morning and while I wasn't really thinking about it too much I could provide my opinions on some players.

Shane Prince: He looked really good, was all over the place and has some nice hands. He really burned some people with some quick moves.

Curtis Lazar: Did not stand out as much as I hoped but I think that is because he is much better suited to really game situations. He works hard, has a great shot and you can see how much he loves playing.

Max McCormic(Spelling?): I was very impressed by him, he looked fast and controlled the puck well. He also went hard to the net with some recklessness that I liked seeing.

Eiserman: This guy looks like a good mid round pick. Has some good awareness is filled out nicely for such a young prospect and he scored a very nice goal.

Puempel: His shot is insane, he just missed a couple of times. Also I would love to see him playing with better players, a couple of times he was open for passes that went into his feet so he could not get the shot off quickly.

Those are the ones I remember off the top of my head, if there is someone you are really interested in feel free to ask and I will see what I can remember.

Thanks for this. Is McCormick going back to college for his final year or is he playing in Bingo with Dzingel?

It would've been great to see Puempel play with Spezza at one point to see if the Spezza-heatley magic could've been recreated.

tsens

Apr 21, 2014
Also forgot Guptill: He seems to have crazy hands and good size but just was not taking this seriously at all. Hopefully he has a bit more emotion when playing in a real game because he has all kinds of skill.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
Brawlfan, he was benched in the AHL? Man, that's useful information, you should have brought that up 5 pages ago. And he isn't Gretzky? I haven't even said I think he's more likely to be in the NHL rather than not. I pretty much just said, and eventually said with an arrogant tone, that if you're gonna form
An opinion on that subject, look at the right information. It'd be a lot worse if I said it like an ******* and was wrong, but I'm not. And as I've said, puempel could bust like crazy an it would still be wrong to predict that based on development camp.

I'm gonna try and be done with this topic.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
I find it amusing that people rarely take issue with glowing reviews of players in developmental scrimmages but are quite sensitive to any perceived slight against a particular player.

I agree with MoO that it's a bit of an unfair extrapolation to characterize a player's future based on a few shifts in the summer.

But I also appreciate it when people point out when someone doesn't really show well, provided we take it with the grain of salt that it deserves.

It's easy to get excited about our prospects but they're not all going to work out and they're not all going to have good days.

The challenge that I have (and I'm sure most people have) is that, if I have a pre-conceived notion of a player, it's hard not to look for certain things - both positive and negative.

If you're gonna jump on something, for anyone's sake,
I hope it's the positive. That said, I read the positive reviews on lindberg, and I believe they mean close to nothing.

Some players do have more to win and lose from
Development camp. Puempel isn't one of em.

koreaboy

Oct 14, 2010
Stop making it sound like this came out of observing one scrimmage. I said again and again I've watched the player very closely, over a dozen times, at least, over the past 3-4 years. I'm saying that again, just like in all those other years, that the player has never really demonstrated any one skill that ever made me say, "wow". Not a quick burst, not a great play with his hands, not a big hit, not an amazing snipe, not a great pass, not a burst to the outside to burn a dman, really, nothing. And from a first round pick, especially as he gets older, that's not good.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I haven't been to a development camp in a long time. At least 5 years. Last time I was there I specifically remember not paying attention to the better known guys (Regin, JOB, Bashkirov, Foligno) and I was watching the lesser known guys (Zack Smith, Eric Gryba, Kaspars Daugivins, Louie Caporusso). I remember the lesser known guys were the ones dictating the play, while Foligno and the others, while they were certainly skating hard, we're doing so with a sense of entitlement.

That's what this development camp is for. The guys who are going to be stars or NHL regulars (Lazar, Ceci, Foligno, Karlsson) don't need to be here. It's great that they are, but it doesn't do much. The guys it does help, are the lesser known, later drafted/signed players who need to show that they are willing to do whatever it takes to suit up for the Sens. This is where your homegrown, hammer and nail type players are identified. The guys like Greening, Condra, Gryba, Boro all earned their spots in the NHL starting from their great development camps.

Then you have guys like Puempel, who in my opinion will be in the NHL regardless of the development camp. He has skills you cannot teach, that are in high demand in the NHL. Do I wish Puempel was tearing the camp up? Certainly, but it doesn't worry me in the slightest.

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Stop making it sound like this came out of observing one scrimmage. I said again and again I've watched the player very closely, over a dozen times, at least, over the past 3-4 years. I'm saying that again, just like in all those other years, that the player has never really demonstrated any one skill that ever made me say, "wow". Not a quick burst, not a great play with his hands, not a big hit, not an amazing snipe, not a great pass, not a burst to the outside to burn a dman, really, nothing. And from a first round pick, especially as he gets older, that's not good.

He reminds me a little of Cheechoo; I never saw much about his game that made me think he could succeed, but he had a knack for getting into the right place and getting off a great shot. Every year I expected him to fall back down to earth, and while a double hernia (or whatever it was) eventually did bring him back down, he did manage to impress for a couple years straight beyond what I though his skill level would allow.

Here's hoping Puempel can do for us a little of what Cheechoo did for the sharks (prior to injuries catching up to him)

koreaboy

Oct 14, 2010
From what I've seen, I think so. Certainly better than cheechoo did with us. Didn't see enough of cheechoo out west in SJ before his knee injuries to compare him to Puempel now.

SensPerpetualRebuild

Yelnats Puc
Jul 31, 2009
Puempel isnt an MVP of anything, he got 30 goals and was also a healthy scratch on occassion (meaning he got outplayed by AHL players) he also was on a team that got swept in the first round of the AHL playoffs (meaning he got outplayed by AHL players) he isnt friggin Gretzky.

Its perfectly plausible that Puempel ends up a bust.

Just for the record, 12 months ago Puempel was the co-MVP of the season for the Kitchener Rangers.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
For the record, some pro scouts (or 12 yr old hockey players, take your pick!) all cam back from the scrimmage with the words "Dunn", "Lindberg" and "Guptill" as their picks. One kid said Dunn is "our Marchand". My son plays defence and noted Claesson looked, in his words, "like an NHLer", haha...

They also noted guys like Harpur and Robinson, how big and fast they were, and they enjoyed themselves!

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Wow, thanks for the scrimmage vid link. I saw the camera guy, but wasn't sure exactly what he was taping for.

Mathieu

Aug 28, 2010
Anyone have a link with the player numbers for the scrimmage ?

Thank you.

e/ : Searched for a good 10-15 mins and just realized they're in the OP lol.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
cool ziplining vid on senstv

nice to see them all having fun together.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00