Prospect Info: 2014 Development Camp

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I too am very happy with the reports on Lindberg. Last year he came in and had such an underwhelming camp, didn't do that well in Sweden as much but great to hear the guy is improving.

When we drafted him, it was for his raw potential. He was like Zibanejad in many ways. A gritty, hard-nosed speedster who can jam the net, has some move and is a character guy. Still far too early to judge what he can/cannot be. He's still a project in many ways, imo. It starts with increased role and much better improvement in Sweden next year then we'll see from there.

Six Assets

Tim Stützle
Jun 29, 2013
Ottawa
I too am very happy with the reports on Lindberg. Last year he came in and had such an underwhelming camp, didn't do that well in Sweden as much but great to hear the guy is improving.

When we drafted him, it was for his raw potential. He was like Zibanejad in many ways. A gritty, hard-nosed speedster who can jam the net, has some move and is a character guy. Still far too early to judge what he can/cannot be. He's still a project in many ways, imo. It starts with increased role and much better improvement in Sweden next year then we'll see from there.

he will play in the OHL next year

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I don't wanna crap all over Lindberg or anything as I'm really high on his potential as well but I was talking to a close friend who was at the scrimmage and he wasn't as impressed as most. Kinda said his skating was outstanding, skated around multiple defenders but couldn't do much with the biscuit after words.

That's not necessarily a bad thing. I never thought he had that kind of burst but liked his soft hands so maybe his hands are just adjusting to that new speed. Either way, I'm excited to see him on that Generals team.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I don't wanna crap all over Lindberg or anything as I'm really high on his potential as well but I was talking to a close friend who was at the scrimmage and he wasn't as impressed as most. Kinda said his skating was outstanding, skated around multiple defenders but couldn't do much with the biscuit after words.

That's not necessarily a bad thing. I never thought he had that kind of burst but liked his soft hands so maybe his hands are just adjusting to that new speed. Either way, I'm excited to see him on that Generals team.
The hands will come. As long as they're a few notches above greening everything will be alright.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
Puempel has a game that is more complimentary. He's not one that creates a lot on his own - a helter skelter scrimmage won't be the best situation for him. He'll be a guy that plays better as the talent he plays with improves.

I think he's got a pretty solid chance to be a 20 goal scorer.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
The hands will come. As long as they're a few notches above greening everything will be alright.

As scouts often say, you can't "teach" hands.

Guys who don't have hands when drafted, don't develop magical hands as a pro. Or above average ones. Everyone hand's improve of course, but it's not something guys catch up on in terms of closing the gap on the guys with elite mits. This is unlike skating, where poor skaters can close the gap a bit (see Spezza and Stone as two examples). Chris Neil is significantly better with the puck now that when he was 18, but he is no closer to the elite guys in the league as he was when he was a teen.

Shot is somewhere in between, which can be improved, especially velocity, with strength and practice.

Doesn't mean a Lindberg can't evolve into a Hagelin type, who also is limited offensively given his hands.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I think sure-fire top prospects don't give their 100% in those development camps (when you're a 4th rounder, you have to make your mark). They are naturally giving a chance to the invitees, new draft picks and obscure prospects to shine a bit. Kind of a like Dzingel started making a name for himself a few years ago, being a 7th round pick

It might even be some kind of directive.

It's natural for a player to adjust against the quality of competition. Alex Burrows could have destroyed my deck league a few years ago (he was still a 4th liner in the NHL) but he took it easy, adjusting to the competition. Did that make him a player who can't raise his game? He went on the following years to score 25 goals or more with the Sedins in 4 straight seasons.

I'm like that too, I play much better in better levels of competition.

==============================================

Now, since people have derailed the thread and only talk about Lindberg :)shakehead), I'm going to change the subject a bit...

:sarcasm:

You're right, compared to Puempel he looked like a super star for sure. :sarcasm:

:laugh:

I frequently go to these camps, I've seen this kid within arms reach of me on at least a dozen occasions, and as a first round pick I've made a special point of watching him. I respect the season he had in the AHL. I have to give Luke Richardson, with his 1000+ games of NHL experience, a ton of credence when he tells me he likes the kid. But I've seen what I've seen, other people have too, and when I've never seen this kid stand out in any major way against his peers again and again now, I have every right to question how much of an impact he's going to have at the next level. .

I'm done with this topic. We'll see who's right. I'm here saying that Puempel won't end up being an impact player at the NHL level.

You can have your opinions/predictions fine, but what people are trying to tell you :

10 AHL Games >>>>>>> 1000 hours of camp scrimmage.

Also, keep in mind that Brian Lee never really impressed in those, not even in the AHL :sarcasm:

Mr Invidious

May 12, 2014
As scouts often say, you can't "teach" hands.

Guys who don't have hands when drafted, don't develop magical hands as a pro. Or above average ones. Everyone hand's improve of course, but it's not something guys catch up on in terms of closing the gap on the guys with elite mits. This is unlike skating, where poor skaters can close the gap a bit (see Spezza and Stone as two examples). Chris Neil is significantly better with the puck now that when he was 18, but he is no closer to the elite guys in the league as he was when he was a teen.

Shot is somewhere in between, which can be improved, especially velocity, with strength and practice.

Doesn't mean a Lindberg can't evolve into a Hagelin type, who also is limited offensively given his hands.

I'm not sure where the notion that Lindberg doesn't have hands came from. He made a really nice 1-on-1 move past Harpur (IIRC) during the scrimmage that lead to a prime scoring chance. His hands looked above-average.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
I'm not sure where the notion that Lindberg doesn't have hands came from. He made a really nice 1-on-1 move past Harpur (IIRC) during the scrimmage that lead to a prime scoring chance. His hands looked above-average.

Not going to comment on one play in a scrimmage, but he has had modest production at every level thus far, so if he is an elite skater with modest production, I find it hard to believe he also has above average hands amongst NHL prospects. I know some have questioned his hockey sense too, but that has been more hearsay. His upside seems limited though, given he hasn't really been an impact player in the SuperElit amongst his peers in Sweden.

We'll see how he does this year. I believe he might be playing in Oshawa with the Generals.

Mr Invidious

May 12, 2014
Not going to comment on one play in a scrimmage, but he has had modest production at every level thus far, so if he is an elite skater with modest production, I find it hard to believe he also has above average hands amongst NHL prospects. I know some have questioned his hockey sense too, but that has been more hearsay. His upside seems limited though, given he hasn't really been an impact player in the SuperElit amongst his peers in Sweden.

We'll see how he does this year. I believe he might be playing in Oshawa with the Generals.

By all means, I won't automatically lump him directly into a field based on one showing, but I'm mainly addressing those who say he had poor hands. I doubt any of us have watched him much overseas and he certainly didn't appear to have stone hands during the development camp.

He did show that he's perfectly capable of making moves.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

Without question Lindberg does have speed to burn but so does Buddy Robinson & sadly no one is talking about how fast he can skate. However, as your buddy said I didn''t see Lindberg or Robinson for that matter make any nice plays, nice passes or score a goal. Robinson may have the edge since he has played in Bingo & has tremendous size but they have to start scoring to get people's attention. We'll see how Lindberg does in the OHL, hopefully he can light it up.

Puempel has a game that is more complimentary. He's not one that creates a lot on his own - a helter skelter scrimmage won't be the best situation for him. He'll be a guy that plays better as the talent he plays with improves.

I think he's got a pretty solid chance to be a 20 goal scorer.

I can certainly understand what Koreaboy is saying, I have also watched Puempel for a few yrs at these camps & have mentioned that he hasn't really stood out at all. I remember last yr I think it was where he made a beautiful fast top shelf shot but other than that, I barely notice him. That being said though, he had a pretty good season in Bingo last yr & I expect as well as the organization that he will have another good one this yr.

I imagine if Puempel looks like he isn't going to pan out than BM might have a decent asset to move, if they need something at the NHL level. He'll be interesting to watch, just keep in mind that a lot of people on here thought Filatov, Conacher, SDC, Prince & Hoffman were going to be great in the NHL & 3 of them are gone, Prince has dropped on the depth chart & Hoffman has to prove he can be an NHL player this yr.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

Every prospect is different. Some break out, some progress every year, some are just late bloomer. Lindberg seems to be the kind of guy with plenty tools slowly starting to put it all together but hard to say much for now, need more viewings.

I imagine if Puempel looks like he isn't going to pan out than BM might have a decent asset to move, if they need something at the NHL level. He'll be interesting to watch, just keep in mind that a lot of people on here thought Filatov, Conacher, SDC, Prince & Hoffman were going to be great in the NHL & 3 of them are gone, Prince has dropped on the depth chart & Hoffman has to prove he can be an NHL player this yr.

That's a question I always asked myself. How do people know this exactly? There is a chart on the door of BM's office? And is it even possible to access that door?

Last edited by a moderator:

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I actually think Puempel creates a lot of offense by himself. Especially with his new and improved skating. Pretty sure he was creating offense for himself and others on the Rangers OHL team.

I remember seeing Puempel battle in the boards, gain the puck dish it off, get it back circle around and wire it. He's a good complementary player but also great offensive catalyst himself. Underrated passing.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Every prospect is different. Some break out, some progress every year, some are just late bloomer. Lindberg seems to be the kind of guy with plenty tools slowly starting to put it all together but hard to say much for now, need more viewings.

That's a question I always asked myself. How do people know this exactly? There is a chart on the door of BM's office? And is it even possible to access that door?

Ice time in Bingo, even Schneider was getting more ice time than Prince in some games I saw. Add to that that he asked to be traded, that usually gets you less ice time not more. Ask JOB. Puempel & Schneider seemed to me anyway to be playing on the top two lines ahead of Prince & on the PP. Maybe the Bingo people can weight in?

dmarc

SENS!!!!!!!
Mar 29, 2009
Anybody have thoughts on the 3 vs 3? looked like a decent turnout in the Sens TV vid

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Ice time in Bingo, even Schneider was getting more ice time than Prince in some games I saw. Add to that that he asked to be traded, that usually gets you less ice time not more. Ask JOB. Puempel & Schneider seemed to me anyway to be playing on the top two lines ahead of Prince & on the PP. Maybe the Bingo people can weight in?

Yes I remember a stretch where Prince was challenged with his effort so it was reflected in his ice-time, but I think he did put a good season nonetheless, he finished strong after that. 48 pts in 69 games is good for a 2nd year pro. His rookie season he had 35 in 65

I don't see the problem with taking time for developing a prospect. Look how long it took with Hoffman. Look at Detroit

I think Puempel has always been the "bigger" prospect in management's eyes. Schneider might have impressed them for a long time, even if he didn't get a call-up yet. Hard to tell the plans with him so far. Might be a good bottom-6 down the line

BrawlFan

Apr 17, 2009
Puempel isnt an MVP of anything, he got 30 goals and was also a healthy scratch on occassion (meaning he got outplayed by AHL players) he also was on a team that got swept in the first round of the AHL playoffs (meaning he got outplayed by AHL players) he isnt friggin Gretzky.

Its perfectly plausible that Puempel ends up a bust.

sebas85

Feb 28, 2014
The kid scored 30 goals in a very, very, very good hockey league. He isn't some random prospect who a bunch of HFBoarders have a boner for, or a serious hate-on against. If someone thinks he looked bad in a limited viewing, fine. But don't follow it up by talking like he is some sort of disappointment and definitely needs to prove something / has shown us nothing as a prospect. It's just ridiculous.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad