2014 CBJ Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
Three things to consider.
Bobrovsky got off to a slow start in Columbus, then really started coming about 1/3 of the way through the lockout season. He started slow this year, then re-emerged. It stands to reason that Clark is finding something that's being exploited and working to correct it during the season.

.941 and .929 save percentage in first two games, then one bad game in between (after Mason had been given one game opportunity) and back to .960. Then a series of five games which included four performances not that good statistically. During those five games Columbus gave 1-2 powerplay goals to opponent in four out five games which was more unusual run for the penalty kill's success. Scott Howson was also fired.

That's first month of after-lockout hockey (or three weeks for Howson) and afterwards he was consistently playing at Vezina rate.

Bobrovski anyways started as first-choice keeper after lockout (and did it quite well for first four games that he played) which should indicate that his SKA St. Petersburg KHL season of 24 games, 1.94 goals against average and .932 save percentage was noted at least if not where it all began.

Clark has worked with Fleury, Ward, and Luongo to name a few. Here is his bio on the blue jackets website.

"The list of goaltenders he has worked with includes Roberto Luongo, Cam Ward, Marc-Andre Fleury, Cory Schneider, Andrew Raycroft, Johan Hedberg and Mathieu Garon."

Luongo and Fleury haven't exactly been shining examples of sustaining control under pressure...

Credit where it is due surely...

Last edited:

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
I know we are looking for a RW I was looking for more under the radar guys what about a TROY BROUWER, or a DREW STAFFORD, or a PATRIC HORNQVIST, or even a MIKKEL BOEDKER

Also could Bobby Ryan be possible to snag

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I know we are looking for a RW I was looking for more under the radar guys what about a TROY BROUWER, or a DREW STAFFORD, or a PATRIC HORNQVIST, or even a MIKKEL BOEDKER

Also could Bobby Ryan be possible to snag

I doubt the Caps trade within division, so no go on Brouwer.

Stafford is an interesting option. I wouldn't mind picking him up, but the cost could be big.

Hornqvist is one of Nashville's scorers and Laviolette needs all the help he can get.

Doubt Boedker gets moved.

I think Ryan WOULD be available for trade if the price was right. I don't think Ryan is thrilled with playing in Ottawa and I think he will leave there and test FA after this year. It would take alot to get him right now, but keep an eye in the future.

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
So the new Canucks GM might go after a starting goalie. Lets say they go out and sign a starter to a multi year deal and keep Lack as the backup over Markstrom. I think Markstrom is on a 1 way deal and is due to make $1.2 this up coming season. A while ago, the local paper over here in Vancouver was suggesting that the Canucks wouldn't want a goalie in the AHL making that much money. If he becomes available in a trade, would you have interest in him and hopes he can turn it around and becomes a solid backup/capable starter if Bob gets hurt? What would you give up? Markstrom is one of my fav players and would be thrilled to have him as our backup. But not sure what I would give up though. As much as it would be awesome if Markstrom became a Blue Jacket, I wouldn't want to give them too much to land him.

Last edited:

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
Markstrom would be an interesting wildcard and allow forsberg and dansk et al to develop more slowly...hmmmm

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
So the new Canucks GM might go after a starting goalie. Lets say they go out and sign a starter to a multi year deal and keep Lack as the backup over Markstrom. I think Markstrom is on a 1 way deal and is due to make $1.2 this up coming season. A while ago, the local paper over here in Vancouver was suggesting that the Canucks wouldn't want a goalie in the AHL making that much money. If he becomes available in a trade, would you have interest in him and hopes he can turn it around and becomes a solid backup/capable starter if Bob gets hurt? What would you give up? Markstrom is one of my fav players and would be thrilled to have him as our backup. But not sure what I would give up though. As much as it would be awesome if Markstrom became a Blue Jacket, I wouldn't want to give them too much to land him.

12 months ago they had two starting goalies. Now they have none, and neither is due to retirement.

That's historic-level bumbling.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
12 months ago they had two starting goalies. Now they have none, and neither is due to retirement.

That's historic-level bumbling.

Agreed ... nearly Milbury-esque.

Interesting thought: Both guys traded Roberto Luongo... and both deals included a big, underachieving power forward coming back the other way (Oleg Kvasha and Shawn Matthias)...

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Michael Frolik, Eric Fehr, Loui Eriksson Trade thoughts?

I kind of like this game.

I like Frolik a lot. He's a good all around player who can play on the second line wing. But can he do top line wing? I doubt it, and that's where we really need help. We have lots of guys who make good all-around second line wings.

Fehr is not a scoring threat. I'd prefer Skille, to be honest.

We just had a Loui Eriksson discussion, and he might be our best bet in a trade for a top line scoring wing. I think the price would be reasonable, and there's a good chance (though uncertain) that he'll return to top line form.

To Ottawa:
Johnson + Anisimov

To CBJ: Ryan

May be far off in value if so i'm sorry

The reason value is off is because an average top pair D-man is worth a lot more than an average top line winger. I think Ryan is going to be available, but we shouldn't pay that much for him, or any non-superstar winger.

Other players you mention:

Brouwer is too good a fit in Washington for them to move him, and Boedker and Hornqvist are their respective teams offensive leaders. They are not available.

Drew Stafford could be had, and easily so. But he's little better than Umberger.

FreeBoomer61

Feb 8, 2011
Over on the main trade forums, it's been suggested that the Hawks and Canucks swap Kesler and Sharp straight up and that VAN would flip Sharp for assets. How would everyone feel about sending either Atkinson or Jenner + Erixon + 2014 1st Rd Pick to Vancouver for Patrick Sharp?

Derby

Pilsners in Prague
Sponsor
Dec 30, 2009
Ohio
Over on the main trade forums, it's been suggested that the Hawks and Canucks swap Kesler and Sharp straight up and that VAN would flip Sharp for assets. How would everyone feel about sending either Atkinson or Jenner + Erixon + 2014 1st Rd Pick to Vancouver for Patrick Sharp?

Atkinson, ok. Boone, no way.

I would love to see Sharpie as a Jacket, but not for Boone.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
No way would I trade Boone. Honestly, I don't know why so many people want to trade Atkinson. I would in this deal, but just an overall thought. We want to get faster, so why would we trade one of our fastest skaters? I would like to have Patrick, but I don't know how much I would trade for him.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
ept_sports_nhl_experts-692733085-1296348492.jpg

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
While I believe in trading to make the team stronger I wonder about Sharp or any sniper type winger. I don't think Joey is a great playmaker yet and with the "trouble" Gabby had with "fitting" would a Sharp type be any better?

I don't know. Obviously Patrick Sharp is a very good offensive player. For a #1 in a "weak" draft, one of the young D and Cam I would consider it. Downside is that Sharp will be 33 in December. With us and our style of offense I would guess he probably tops out around 55-60 pts or so. That ain't bad and would give us a wing to play with Foligno & Arty. Is that a good fit? Plus he has a modified NTC. Would he come here?

My preference (and admitted pipe dream) is to acquire Iginla for a 2 year deal. I think then its Vrbata. Obtain the asset without giving anything up except some $. Callahan would fit but he will be too expensive and is somewhat injury prone. Other than those three its back to the trading board or hope that Wennberg can stick and play wing.

IHeartZherdev*

While I believe in trading to make the team stronger I wonder about Sharp or any sniper type winger. I don't think Joey is a great playmaker yet and with the "trouble" Gabby had with "fitting" would a Sharp type be any better?

I don't know. Obviously Patrick Sharp is a very good offensive player. For a #1 in a "weak" draft, one of the young D and Cam I would consider it. Downside is that Sharp will be 33 in December. With us and our style of offense I would guess he probably tops out around 55-60 pts or so. That ain't bad and would give us a wing to play with Foligno & Arty. Is that a good fit? Plus he has a modified NTC. Would he come here?

My preference (and admitted pipe dream) is to acquire Iginla for a 2 year deal. I think then its Vrbata. Obtain the asset without giving anything up except some $. Callahan would fit but he will be too expensive and is somewhat injury prone. Other than those three its back to the trading board or hope that Wennberg can stick and play wing.

So you say the downside to Sharp is that he is 33 years old....yet you want to sign a soon to be 37 year old Jarome Iginla to a 2 year deal?

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
So you say the downside to Sharp is that he is 33 years old....yet you want to sign a soon to be 37 year old Jarome Iginla to a 2 year deal?

There's a huge difference between signing a 37-year-old UFA and trading (likely significant) assets for a 33-year-old who has a $5.9 mil cap annual hit.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011

Yes. A 37 yr old who would fit with our style and would cost no assets to obtain other than his salary. Plus he just put up 60 points so he isn't exactly a has been just yet. And he would allow time for the young guys (Wennberg, Rychel, Dano, Bjorkstrand) to develop without being rushed.

And as to Sharp's age, it is not a major concern it is just something to consider when you give up 3 young assets to obtain him. If he was the missing piece to getting us to be a serious Cup contender then I look at it differently. But we aren't there yet,imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA