2014 CBJ Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
Korpikoski (PHO) - Hasn't shown the hands but has the speed and smarts (especially defensively) to fit in. Could just be another middle 6 guy although more size and speed than 1/2 our roster.

Only Boedker and Silfverberg may be high level acquisitions but I'm keeping players like Anisimov, Atkinson, Tyutin, Rychel, Dano and even Bjorkstrand in mind. none of the players above are older than 24 so sacrificing some younger players may not impact too greatly.

Korpedo is as average as your average third liner comes... Couldn't carry any kind of offensive role in Finnish Olympic team this winter.

Trading away young guys that are seen still to have potential in this organization is the kind of move that teams make when they first draft goalkeeper prospect with huge frame, sign him and eventually throw him under the bus for him to become another 24-year-old elite keeper in KHL that could make the swap between leagues very soon. Or even be nominated for Vezina trophy when he is ready... playing already for another organization.

I'd rather take kids that are evaluated to be among the 200 most talented players in their age group and see it out with time.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Korpedo is as average as your average third liner comes... Couldn't carry any kind of offensive role in Finnish Olympic team this winter.

Trading away young guys that are seen still to have potential in this organization is the kind of move that teams make when they first draft goalkeeper prospect with huge frame, sign him and eventually throw him under the bus for him to become another 24-year-old elite keeper in KHL that could make the swap between leagues very soon. Or even be nominated for Vezina trophy when he is ready... playing already for another organization.

I'd rather take kids that are evaluated to be among the 200 most talented players in their age group and see it out with time.

To be clear, I wasn't implying we trade players like Rychel or Bjorkstrand or Dano, etc. for just anyone. Just saying those would be some of the players I would potentially put in play for a young top 6 guy right now. I'm thinking guys like Boedker, Eberle (mentioned previous threads) or possibly Silfverberg(less proven). I also think some of these players might offer an upgrade to the bottom 6 without costing much (Paajarvi ??)

major major

Feb 18, 2013
To be clear, I wasn't implying we trade players like Rychel or Bjorkstrand or Dano, etc. for just anyone. Just saying those would be some of the players I would potentially put in play for a young top 6 guy right now. I'm thinking guys like Boedker, Eberle (mentioned previous threads) or possibly Silfverberg(less proven). I also think some of these players might offer an upgrade to the bottom 6 without costing much (Paajarvi ??)

I find it easy to see why the Oilers would trade us Eberle, or why the Jets would part with Kane. But why would the Coyotes ever trade Boedker?

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
One guy i really want, but will never happen is Wayne Simmonds. I think his play would fit our style perfectly. There is just NO way we get him here. His contract and being a division foe(not to mention his recent play) make him very hard to pry away from Philly.

RBarRegular

May 20, 2009
Senecaville
One guy i really want, but will never happen is Wayne Simmonds. I think his play would fit our style perfectly. There is just NO way we get him here. His contract and being a division foe(not to mention his recent play) make him very hard to pry away from Philly.

Have ALWAYS thought Simmonds would look good in Union Blue. Tough guy with good skill level. One of my favorite players in the league who is not a Blue Jacket.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Have ALWAYS thought Simmonds would look good in Union Blue. Tough guy with good skill level. One of my favorite players in the league who is not a Blue Jacket.

And just think, he Kings got him (and another guy) for a 4th line center. :laugh: Food for thought for all those who never want to trade anyone or any pick.

IHeartZherdev*

And just think, he Kings got him (and another guy) for a 4th line center. :laugh: Food for thought for all those who never want to trade anyone or any pick.

Pretty sure when they won the cup he wasn't their fourth line center. Even if injuries and the Kings stacked roster has limited his role and his game at this current point time, that's a pretty bad assessment of the trade.

Last edited by a moderator:

IHeartZherdev*

A few names I'll throw out with varying success thus far...

Boedker (PHO) - don't know that he could be had but fits the mold and is a clear top 6 upgrade. Also doesn't have the stats Eberle does and may not cost as much?

Korpikoski (PHO) - Hasn't shown the hands but has the speed and smarts (especially defensively) to fit in. Could just be another middle 6 guy although more size and speed than 1/2 our roster.

Jaskin (STL) - Lacks experience (just made partial NHL jump last year) but has the size and skill set to be a top 6 wing quickly. Comes from a system that is likely similar to CBJ. Smart, skilled and size. Can play the game fast but not a burner.

Paajarvi (STL) - great skater and shooter but has struggled to find the back of the net (easy to see with his lack of points). Could a bigger role in Columbus push him to his top 6 potential.

Palmeiri (ANA) - High offensive upside but may be stuck behind several in Anaheim. excellent skater and hockey IQ. Needs experience but getting it on a good team in Anaheim.

Silfverberg (ANA) - most know I really like this kid. Decent size, excellent offensive instincts, already plays sound 2-way game and gaining experience.

These are all players from the Western Conference. If time permits I throw out some ideas from the East later on. Only Boedker and Silfverberg may be high level acquisitions but I'm keeping players like Anisimov, Atkinson, Tyutin, Rychel, Dano and even Bjorkstrand in mind. none of the players above are older than 24 so sacrificing some younger players may not impact too greatly.

Just some thoughts and ideas... anyone have feedback? Yay? Nay?

Paajarvi has shown nothing and was a healthy scratch all year. Not sure why you think he has top six upside, if anything, he has KHL upside.

Korpikospki will be 28 at the beginning of next season and is just a guy, there's no more potential or upside to unlock there.

Jaskin is a prospect St. Louis is high and is just starting out in his development, I can't see them parting with him now unless it's part of a deal for an in-his-prime player who can help them advance now, which I don't think is something the CBJ can offer.

Palmeiri doesn't have top line winger upside, if anything he's more of a secondary guy at best, but we already have Dubie, Foligno, Horton, etc.

Boedker is 24, was taken 8th overall, and just had is breakout season. He'd look nice as our top line right winger, but Phoenix has no reason to trade him especially if as you say, you don't want to part with much value...

I agree we need to find a top flight winger, like Eberle, but it's going to cost something. I would like to say the days of bargain hunting for the guys you are talking about, or Hack Skille, are over.

I really don't get the Jakub Silfverberg thing. Possibly the second most puzzling thing on this thread next to "pay Iginla $8 million to come here" thing.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Pretty sure when they won the cup he wasn't their fourth line center. Even if injuries and the Kings stacked roster has limited his role and his game at this current point time, that's a pretty bad assessment of the trade.

Sometimes I think you get it. other times I'm not so sure. here let me explain:

:laugh: This means I'm being funny, etc. Obviously he wasn't the 4th line center when they won the Cup. And for sure he wasn't that in Philly. :shakehead

IHeartZherdev*

Sometimes I think you get it. other times I'm not so sure. here let me explain:

:laugh: This means I'm being funny, etc. Obviously he wasn't the 4th line center when they won the Cup. And for sure he wasn't that in Philly. :shakehead

:huh:

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
interesting question posed to Bobby Mac during #CBJin30

which player has the most pressure on him to improve this offseason to be better next year?

I think it has to be either Joey, or one of the young defensemen we need to step up...

edit: although BobMac saying he had 3 answers...Joey, Boone, and CAM...that last one was strong!

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
interesting question posed to Bobby Mac during #CBJin30

which player has the most pressure on him to improve this offseason to be better next year?

I think it has to be either Joey, or one of the young defensemen we need to step up...

edit: although BobMac saying he had 3 answers...Joey, Boone, and CAM...that last one was strong!

I think almost all the players have to get better for various reasons;I would agree Cam will have the added burden of playing for his next contract next year.

Joey will have to earn his new contract-depending on the terms and dollars the expectations will vary. For me I hope he goes shorter term and lower dollars rather than wind up on a 7 year 6 mill deal (which I doubt Jarmo will give up).

I agree that the young D all have pressure to get better if they hope to earn playing time and stick around for the long term.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=453440

TSN lays out our offseason plan in their mind

Not sure I like any of his backup goaltender options.

Hell no on Bryzgalov, Carter Hutton just seems like another Mark Dekanich to me. Chad Johnson could be intriguing but did he have those numbers because he played for Boston? Additionally why would he leave Boston unless they choose to go another direction for a prospect as a backup or something.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
Scott Cullen's mind actually. I get a bit tired of his use of Corsi (shot+/-) as a proxy for seemingly everything. He also doesn't know our lineup as well as we do. Hence he keeps Frattin instead of Mackenzie.

Frattin over DMac? His opinions are totally invalidated!

Yeah, except he doesn't say that. Not sure what Major is talking about - that he'd keep him figuratively because his stats are higher than MacKenzie's? Not sure.

He specifically includes Frattin in the "trade market" section and doesn't mention MacKenzie at all really. :shrug:

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Yeah, except he doesn't say that. Not sure what Major is talking about - that he'd keep him figuratively because his stats are higher than MacKenzie's? Not sure.

He specifically includes Frattin in the "trade market" section and doesn't mention MacKenzie at all really. :shrug:

Look at Cullen's proposed capgeek roster.. linked at the bottom of his article: http://www.capgeek.com/armchair-gm/roster/19236

Cullen doesn't do enough research to know which UFA's are likely to get good offers to stay and which won't, so he just leaves them out.

How does everyone feel about offering Mason Raymond between $2-3 million a year for 2 years? Especially if Umby is traded for a defenseman.

Raymond shouldn't be anyone's first choice, but he's a good backup option if you can get him at that price.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
Look at Cullen's proposed capgeek roster.. linked at the bottom of his article: http://www.capgeek.com/armchair-gm/roster/19236

ok, thanks. interesting take and I wouldn't agree either. I'm sure he looks at MacKenzie's age and salary and sees an incompatibility with the rest of what the CBJ are doing. I bet most folks outside of 270 would see it the same.

The stuff he does with the D is curious as well. Stoner? Weird.

Misfire Puck

May 6, 2010
Finland
Chad Johnson could be intriguing but did he have those numbers because he played for Boston?

I'm sorry but this argument is getting really old with Boston. Look at Anton Khudobin. His stats with Boston: 92.0% and 2.32. And with Carolina: 92.6% and 2.30.
Maybe Boston just is good at evaluating goaltenders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad