2014 CBJ Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
There's a huge difference between signing a 37-year-old UFA and trading (likely significant) assets for a 33-year-old who has a $5.9 mil cap annual hit.

Why can't everyone be as Sharp (I guess pun intended) as you. :laugh:

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Sharp seems like an obvious fit with what we need. He could drop 20 points and still be well above some of the other Callahan types we've been kicking the tires on.

In terms of who I'd be willing to move, I'd sooner toss in Rychel than Erixon. Rychel had a great year but a one-dimensional scorer has to be really good to be as valuable as smarts on the backend. And Boone Jenner is obviously too good to be a trade chip for an older player.

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
I think some of you guys in the past mentioned Hemsky. Everyone's fav, Garrioch:sarcasm:is reporting that he is looking for $5.5 mil/season. With that said, yay or nay? I might consider it for 1 or 2 years but not on a long term deal. Even on a short term scares me because he might not be like the player he was on Ottawa and might go back to being how he was in Edmonton.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
I think some of you guys in the past mentioned Hemsky. Everyone's fav, Garrioch:sarcasm:is reporting that he is looking for $5.5 mil/season. With that said, yay or nay? I might consider it for 1 or 2 years but not on a long term deal. Even on a short term scares me because he might not be like the player he was on Ottawa and might go back to being how he was in Edmonton.

I wouldn't want Hemsky if he paid McConnell.

mamfredo8

Apr 30, 2014
Cologne

Dallas needs goal scoring - would stay far away from Hemsky and rather sign Cammalleri (roughly the same price tag, better scorer)

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
In the around hockey thread we're parsing Jarmo's quotes about trading Gaborik, suggesting that possibly some younger players were deferring too much. So we're going to trade for Sharp or add Iginla?

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005

No thank you.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
In the around hockey thread we're parsing Jarmo's quotes about trading Gaborik, suggesting that possibly some younger players were deferring too much. So we're going to trade for Sharp or add Iginla?

Teams are built through a variety of ways. Not many SC champs have been built exclusively through the draft and the maturation of young guys. Sooner or later they are going to have to learn to play with older guys (and hopefully stars). Personally I think there would (could) be a difference between how they mesh with Iginla because he is not the dangling type of player. But your point is why I don't think trading 3 young guys for Sharp makes much sense.

Will the same issue apply with Horton? I don't think so and I would see Iginla more like him than Iginla as another Gabby.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Teams are built through a variety of ways. Not many SC champs have been built exclusively through the draft and the maturation of young guys. Sooner or later they are going to have to learn to play with older guys (and hopefully stars). Personally I think there would (could) be a difference between how they mesh with Iginla because he is not the dangling type of player. But your point is why I don't think trading 3 young guys for Sharp makes much sense.

Will the same issue apply with Horton? I don't think so and I would see Iginla more like him than Iginla as another Gabby.

What do you mean "another Gabby"? I thought we were talking about star veteran players. I'd think Iginla pretty much fits. If the issue with Gaborik was he was a star veteran player...

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC

I don't really have an opinion regarding acquiring Sharp or Iginla (other than I like them both), but the Jackets are now a year older and coming off the most successful season in their short history, accomplished with minimal assistance from Horton and Gaborik. Perhaps now they are more confident and better able to assimilate a high-caliber sniper than they were just a year ago?

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I don't really have an opinion regarding acquiring Sharp or Iginla (other than I like them both), but the Jackets are now a year older and coming off the most successful season in their short history, accomplished with minimal assistance from Horton and Gaborik. Perhaps now they are more confident and better able to assimilate a high-caliber sniper than they were just a year ago?

That's a good try, pete. It doesn't do it for me, but it's a good try.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Don't think his name has been thrown out yet but what about Milan Michalek for the top 6? I realize this is a FA addition but he seems like a really good fit for the CBJ based on game style and high level skill. His probably has been injury - much like Hemsky although Michalek plays a more aggressive game.

Most of you know I'm not one for FA adds but he'll be 30 in December and a 3 year deal might be a good stopgap as the young players mature. He could also play 3rd line if pushed out of the top 6. I like his game (smart, aggressive, good on forecheck, high skill) and he isn't a "star" (certainly has the toolbox to be though - probably too late for that light to go on) so no "deferring" to the star...

Thoughts?

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Yes. A 37 yr old who would fit with our style and would cost no assets to obtain other than his salary.

Come on man, he's after that Cup. Give it up. Plus it's the exact type of deal that JK/JD is steering away from. A two year deal isn't if there's a chance for an extension, but that's not where we're at with Iginla.

IHeartZherdev*

Nothing would be stupider than paying a 37 year old Iginila based on what he did with the Bruins. He's not a fit at all with our top line and as I've said before, he's too slow to play with Johansen. It'd be like Jagr trying to play with Benn, it wouldn't work.

Plus - the locker room finally belongs to guys like Jack and Dubie. No need to bring in some big name, big ego vet. And obviously, no reason to give a 37 year old more than a 1 year deal. Ever.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
What do you mean "another Gabby"? I thought we were talking about star veteran players. I'd think Iginla pretty much fits. If the issue with Gaborik was he was a star veteran player...

I think what I meant is Iginla is the same (or at least close) kind of player as Horton ; Iginla is not the same kind of player as Gabby. Star power has nothing to do with it, imo. I kind of thought the fit problem was more of Gabby looking for the pass for the one timer and not forechecking hard enough rather than his press clippings. Iginla is a more physical, willing to go to the hard areas, etc kind of player.

Capice?

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I think what I meant is Iginla is the same (or at least close) kind of player as Horton ; Iginla is not the same kind of player as Gabby. Star power has nothing to do with it, imo. I kind of thought the fit problem was more of Gabby looking for the pass for the one timer and not forechecking hard enough rather than his press clippings. Iginla is a more physical, willing to go to the hard areas, etc kind of player.

Capice?

OK but that's not what I gathered from Jarmo's quote, nor the conclusion drawn from it, which said nothing about style of play.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Come on man, he's after that Cup. Give it up. Plus it's the exact type of deal that JK/JD is steering away from. A two year deal isn't if there's a chance for an extension, but that's not where we're at with Iginla.

Give me my fantasy for a bit longer. :laugh: I will be the most amazed guy in the world (well maybe right behind you) if we sign Iginla. I do, however, given our situation of needing a top 6 winger and prospects in waiting, believe a 2 year for him is a perfect solution in theory.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
OK but that's not what I gathered from Jarmo's quote, nor the conclusion drawn from it, which said nothing about style of play.

But it alluded to it imo, I don't think we'd have to worry about Iggy being blinded by the light. (Cue Springsteen youtube)

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Don't think his name has been thrown out yet but what about Milan Michalek for the top 6? I realize this is a FA addition but he seems like a really good fit for the CBJ based on game style and high level skill. His probably has been injury - much like Hemsky although Michalek plays a more aggressive game.

Most of you know I'm not one for FA adds but he'll be 30 in December and a 3 year deal might be a good stopgap as the young players mature. He could also play 3rd line if pushed out of the top 6. I like his game (smart, aggressive, good on forecheck, high skill) and he isn't a "star" (certainly has the toolbox to be though - probably too late for that light to go on) so no "deferring" to the star...

Thoughts?

I'm a bit hesitant - there was endless talk in Ottawa about how Michalek wasn't skilled enough to finish Spezza's plays.

IHeartZherdev*

Anyone who watched Iggy in the playoffs this year would not be crying out to sign him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille