2014 CBJ Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I'm sorry but this argument is getting really old with Boston. Look at Anton Khudobin. His stats with Boston: 92.0% and 2.32. And with Carolina: 92.6% and 2.30.
Maybe Boston just is good at evaluating goaltenders.

That was also one starting season, let's calm down on claiming Khudobin is a legit starter yet.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
The simple fact that this guy has Frattin being retained over DMac is enough to impeach anything else he says. And his bottom line is that Frattin stays and DMac goes.

Misfire Puck

May 6, 2010
Finland
That was also one starting season, let's calm down on claiming Khudobin is a legit starter yet.

I'm not claiming that he is legit starter. I just pointed out that claiming goaltender being better/having better stats because of his team isn't valid argument. Miller is another example.
Of course there are examples that goaltenders team actually did make him look better that he actually is. But that isn't the case always.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I'm not claiming that he is legit starter. I just pointed out that claiming goaltender being better/having better stats because of his team isn't valid argument. Miller is another example.
Of course there are examples that goaltenders team actually did make him look better that he actually is. But that isn't the case always.

This is sort of an ingrained thought process in lots of guys here. Schneider and Bernier got the same treatment when they were being discussed by us as possible goalies. Most did not want them because they had only played as backups.

It goes both ways. Goalies bolster teams;teams bolster goalies.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
Look at Cullen's proposed capgeek roster.. linked at the bottom of his article: http://www.capgeek.com/armchair-gm/roster/19236

Cullen doesn't do enough research to know which UFA's are likely to get good offers to stay and which won't, so he just leaves them out.

Drop Frattin and Stoner, add MacKenzie and I think we have something closer to reality. 61 million is about what I expect us to spend next season.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn

Trading away young guys that are seen still to have potential in this organization is the kind of move that teams make when they first draft goalkeeper prospect with huge frame, sign him and eventually throw him under the bus for him to become another 24-year-old elite keeper in KHL that could make the swap between leagues very soon.

This sentence is an odyssey!

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
But it is readable and understandable with a low fog index.

It's way better than I could do in any language not my own.

And if there's a reference in your post I'm not catching it- which is true with many of the references in people's comments.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
This is sort of an ingrained thought process in lots of guys here. Schneider and Bernier got the same treatment when they were being discussed by us as possible goalies. Most did not want them because they had only played as backups.

It goes both ways. Goalies bolster teams;teams bolster goalies.

I think the evidence is pretty strong that if a young backup can stop 92-94% of shots in 50 games over two years, he can stop a not much lower percentage as a starter. I never understood the skepticism about Schneider, Bishop and Bernier. It seemed clear they were ready to be top starters. (Of course if anyone was making the argument that Bob was going to be great, so we don't need those three, then you were right too).

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
It's way better than I could do in any language not my own.

And if there's a reference in your post I'm not catching it- which is true with many of the references in people's comments.

keep searching it is there... (just messing with you, it was kind of meant as a compliment to our Finnish friend, that's all)

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Peter Budaj will be available for a song after being bypassed for an AHLer in the Montreal-NYR series after Price got injured.

He makes $1.4 million with one year left and until the latter part of the past season was a more than adequate back up.

Despite the Montreal brass' lack of confidence/inclination to gamble with the up and coming AHLer, I'd think that Budaj would be an upgrade to the CBJ in this position.

IHeartZherdev*

Peter Budaj will be available for a song after being bypassed for an AHLer in the Montreal-NYR series after Price got injured.

He makes $1.4 million with one year left and until the latter part of the past season was a more than adequate back up.

Despite the Montreal brass' lack of confidence/inclination to gamble with the up and coming AHLer, I'd think that Budaj would be an upgrade to the CBJ in this position.

I'd prefer Tim Thomas. The whole point of a backup goalie is you can play them if your #1 goes down...

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I'd prefer Tim Thomas. The whole point of a backup goalie is you can play them if your #1 goes down...

Montreal knew they'd probably get good goaltending from Budaj - he's been consistently good the last couple years. They went with Tokarski because they needed a miracle.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I think we should give Anders Linbach a go if we decide to part with McE. Yes, he was horrid as a Lightning, but he played well as a backup in Nashville and he'll be looking to re-establish himself as an NHL goalie and attempt to get another starting chance somewhere else, while also being young enough to push Bob. Just something to consider

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I think we should give Anders Linbach a go if we decide to part with McE. Yes, he was horrid as a Lightning, but he played well as a backup in Nashville and he'll be looking to re-establish himself as an NHL goalie and attempt to get another starting chance somewhere else, while also being young enough to push Bob. Just something to consider

Now that's crazy talk. Lindback was horrid, and we have other options of goalies who weren't horrid (and some who also have upside!).

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
Ian Clark was a good goalie coach in Vancouver and he's been good with Bob in Columbus. Is he good enough to help Lindback improve his play? Never watched him play during the regular season but from the games I saw in the playoffs, it looked like he would go down fast and allow goals up top. Can Clark change that and help his positioning and will that help him be a better goalie? Or did Lindback have more problems?

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
Ian Clark was a good goalie coach in Vancouver and he's been good with Bob in Columbus. Is he good enough to help Lindback improve his play? Never watched him play during the regular season but from the games I saw in the playoffs, it looked like he would go down fast and allow goals up top. Can Clark change that and help his positioning and will that help him be a better goalie?

Has Clark worked with whom previously?

Since Bobrovski got quite a lockout-season improvement (while playing for SKA ST. Petersburg who has Finnish goalkeeping coach that worked with Tuukka Rask before) to his game before playing any NHL games for Columbus can Clark take all the credit... Surely some of it belongs to his methods and I'm not saying that he is bad or anything.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
Ian Clark was a good goalie coach in Vancouver and he's been good with Bob in Columbus. Is he good enough to help Lindback improve his play? Never watched him play during the regular season but from the games I saw in the playoffs, it looked like he would go down fast and allow goals up top. Can Clark change that and help his positioning and will that help him be a better goalie? Or did Lindback have more problems?

Three things to consider.
1) Howson said that Clark liked Bobrovsky before the trade was made
2) Columbus was in on Lindback (Howson admitted as much)
3) Therefore, it stands to reason that Clark was also consulted on Lindback

Now, that does leave open the question of who Clark liked more, or to what extent his particular opinion mattered where the realities of the trade market are concerned.

Since Bobrovski got quite a lockout-season improvement (while playing for SKA ST. Petersburg who has Finnish goalkeeping coach that worked with Tuukka Rask before) to his game before playing any NHL games for Columbus can Clark take all the credit... Surely some of it belongs to his methods and I'm not saying that he is bad or anything.

Bobrovsky got off to a slow start in Columbus, then really started coming about 1/3 of the way through the lockout season. He started slow this year, then re-emerged. It stands to reason that Clark is finding something that's being exploited and working to correct it during the season.

knucklepuck28

Jun 9, 2011
Columbus

Clark has worked with Fleury, Ward, and Luongo to name a few. Here is his bio on the blue jackets website.

http://bluejackets.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=69589

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I'm sorry but this argument is getting really old with Boston. Look at Anton Khudobin. His stats with Boston: 92.0% and 2.32. And with Carolina: 92.6% and 2.30.
Maybe Boston just is good at evaluating goaltenders.

Chad Johnson is also 27 years old and didn't exactly seem to light the AHL on fire during previous years.

He might be coming into his own but he's not proven and I don't see how he is a definitely upgrade over McIElhinney.

He might be but its also a risk because he's unproven. Additionally, he's not going get a chance to be a starter here or even get any more playing time behind Bob than he currently does playing behind Rask.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00