2014 CBJ Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

FreeBoomer61

Feb 8, 2011
Hi all,
The Blue Jackets are a tough team to play against, but seem to falter when the play the top teams in the league. Management's goals for the offseason should be to not only improve the team, but to make it a perennial contender so that they can compete with Boston, Pittsburgh, Chicago, LA and SJS. So I've done some messing around on capgeek, and have thought out some possible scenarios of what could be done to improve the team. Comment and share your opinions too.

Projected Cap: 71,100,000
Cap Space: 22,148,524

First, let’s take a look at who is not signed past the 2013 season…

2014 UFA (listed in order of importance):
MacKenzie, Nikitin, Comeau, McElhinney, Schultz
2014 RFA (listed in order of importance):
Johansen, Savard, Prout, Erixon, Tropp, Frattin

UFA-wise, I think that MacKenzie will get a contract similar to Letestu (between 1.25-2MM a year), Nikitin could fetch up to 3.5MM in the free agent market, but it would be a mistake for the team to let him walk. Comeau and Schultz will most likely walk. And McElhinney might not be a bad resign to back up Bob for one more season for ~1MM. Obviously, the most important player to sign is Johansen. My guess is that he will get a nice contract that is comparable to John Tavares’. Whether that be a bridge contract or one that would have him signed until his UFA years, my guess is that he will make roughly 5.5MM a year. Now, outside of Joey, I think that two of Savard, Prout and Erixon will be qualified, and one could only assume that Erixon is the odd man out (like he has been this entire season). Lets say between those two players, they make roughly a total of 3.5MM combined.

After resigning these players, this will leave the team with roughly 7.5MM left in cap space. This is where everything will get interesting. Do they start moving bad contracts and go after big name guys? For starters, Umberger could possibly be out of the long-term picture in the eyes of management, making him a prime candidate for an amnesty buyout. With his contract off of the books (if bought out), that would leave the team with ~12MM in cap space.

Looking at the upcoming UFA list, a few names stand out to me that could potentially be a solid fit in our lineup. These are all based off of our basic needs of more scoring, adding talent to the lineup that can compliment Joey/increase depth, add veteran presence to help the young core grow, etc. I’m not going to include names like Iginla/Jagr, because those guys simply are not realistic IMO.
Thomas Vanek, Paul Stastny, Matt Moulson, Mason Raymond, Lee Stempniak
With these names in mind, I think it would be awesome if we could somehow poach Stastny away from Colorado. If this were to happen, I would have no problem with giving him 7.5MM/year. We would be one of the deepest teams down the middle, giving us even more flexibility in the lineup. With Joey, Stastny, Arty, Dubi, Letestu, MacKenzie, and Jenner all centers, we could all of a sudden have a top heavy lineup, with an even deeper bottom six. If going after Stastny does not work out, Vanek, Moulson and Raymond would be the next targets on my list. Vanek and Moulson will get big contracts somewhere (probably in Minnesota for Moulson). Raymond and Stempniak would be last resort guys. So say everything works out, and we end up with Stastny at 7.5/year, that would leave us at 5.35MM in cap space.

Management definitely knows who is apart of the core group of players, and who is expendable. “The Core” has got to be Jenner, Johansen, Horton, Foligno, Dubinsky, Murray, and Bobrovsky. In order to make this team a competitor for the cup THIS upcoming season, more scoring is needed, and the defense needs an upgrade. Now let’s get creative…

With the signing of Paul Stastny, the depth down the middle is crazy as mentioned earlier. While a lot of the fan base thinks highly of Artem Anisimov, I could see him being moved before Dubinsky would be. The Edmonton Oilers are a good trading partner with the Jackets. Oilers have an abundance of forwards who can score, and the Jackets have defensive and forward depth that could help out the less defensively oriented Oilers.
To Edmonton: Jack Johnson, 2014 2nd Round Pick
To Columbus: David Perron
Now, to refill the hole left by Johnson’s departure…
To Buffalo: Cam Atkinson, Marko Dano/Kerby Rychel, Mid/Late Round Pick
To Columbus: Christian Ehrhoff

Between these trades, I think we would come out better. Ehrhoff is paid much less than Johnson, and will still be a minute munching defenseman who could pair with Murray, and Perron would be an upgrade over Atkinson. While losing either one of Dano or Rychel would sting, there is still a lot of organizational depth, especially with Wennberg coming up. And losing the picks would not be the end of the world either because of the depth we would have.

After all of these moves/signings, here is what the roster would look like

Perron-Johansen-Horton
Foligno-Stastny-Anisimov
Calvert-Dubinsky-Jenner
Letestu-MacKenzie-Boll

Ehrhoff-Murray
Wisniewski-Tyutin
Nikitin-Savard
Prout

Bob/McE

FORWARDS

David Perron ($3.813m) / Ryan Johansen ($5.500m) / Nathan Horton ($5.300m) Nick Foligno ($3.083m) / Paul Stastny ($7.500m) / Artem Anisimov ($3.283m) Matt Calvert ($0.988m) / Brandon Dubinsky ($4.200m) / Boone Jenner ($0.778m) Mark Letestu ($1.250m) / Derek MacKenzie ($1.500m) / Jared Boll ($1.700m) 

DEFENSEMEN

Christian Ehrhoff ($4.000m) / Ryan Murray ($0.894m) 
James Wisniewski ($5.500m) / Fedor Tyutin ($4.500m) 
Nikita Nikitin ($3.500m) / David Savard ($1.500m) 
Dalton Prout ($1.500m) / 

GOALTENDERS
Sergei Bobrovsky ($5.625m) 
Curtis McElhinney ($1.000m)
SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $68,055,833; BONUSES: $2,715,833
CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $3,044,167

Go ahead and comment and share what moves you would like to see the team make over the summer.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
What happened to Umberger?

Also, I don't think we're going to see nearly that much overhaul. Maybe adding a forward like Cammalleri, but I think our D stays intact, maybe losing Nikitin if he gets over $4 million from someone else.

Last edited:

FreeBoomer61

Feb 8, 2011
What happened to Umberger?

Also, I don't think we're going to see nearly that much overhaul. Maybe adding a forward like Cammalleri, but I think our D stays intact, maybe losing Nikitin if he gets over $4 million from someone else.

Amnesty buyout for Umberger

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Thanks for the visioning work. I'll add just some notes:

1. Most of any improvement we make towards being a contender is going to come from the maturing of guys we already have. So I like a lot of the moves you proposed, but no pair of trades is going to make us a contender by themselves.

2. Not qualifying Erixon would be a waste. He's a good defenceman, if you don't have room for him you trade him. I think he's a keeper.

3. I think Nikitin will get paid more than $4m in free agency, and we should let him go if that's the case.

4. Are we going to be a cap team going forward? If so, taking on Ehrhoff's deal could be a problem come 2020, when for three years he is making $1m (not bad for the payroll), but $4m on the cap (not good because he will be old).

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I don't think that Edmonton deal would go through. Perron's representative of the sort of culture that they need to add more of. Yes, he's by far the most immediately useful forward in Edmonton that isn't a star that we would like, but they badly need him too so he's disproportionately valued over there.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
I don't think the Jackets will be a cup contender for at least one more season.. The defense is good but may need some tweeking and the offense needs one or two top scoring forwards, the goaltending is set. Most of all they need experience playing in big time environments under pressure and learning how to win those games... only time will provide that.

Two years....

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I don't think the Jackets will be a cup contender for at least one more season.. The defense is good but may need some tweeking and the offense needs one or two top scoring forwards, the goaltending is set. Most of all they need experience playing in big time environments under pressure and learning how to win those games... only time will provide that.

Two years....

I agree, we are still a young team with very limited big game experience. If they make the playoffs this year it will be a huge for them and as they say, you have to lose before you can win. We have a lot of young talent on the way and in the next few years could really pay off. If the opportunity presents itself to grab a skilled forward (preferably LW) then of course go for it but there is a nice foundation in place and now it's up to developing the young guys

The Press Express

Sep 16, 2012
@PressDontStress
I liked where this was going until I saw the trades, we dont need to give away top tier talent when we can get it from FA. Ever since the departure of Nash our team has lacked a true goal scorer and offensive leader (Should have been Gaborik). Our first priority this summer is targeting a player like Vanek or Cammeleri.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I don't think the Jackets become a real Cup contender next year. Way too much to fall into place but we could make some strides.

1. Buyout Umberger Replace him with one of Tropp/SKille/Comeau who would be gone if Umbie stays. Net cash savings 1.5 mill or so for the next three years. Covers the 1.5 due for the following 3. Doesn't add a dime to payroll over 6 years.

2. Trade for Jeff Skinner; adds a proven goal scorer who is still very young. I'd give up our 1st, Dano and Savard. Replace Savard with Erixon and either Golobuef or Schultz replaces Nikitin (assuming he can't be resigned for 3-3.5 mill.

3. If 2 fails try and sign Vanek in FA. Doubtful but worth a shot.

4. If 2 &3 fail try Stastny. Again doubtful but worth a shot.

5. If none of the above workout try and trade with Edmonton for a good forward. Offering some combination of the #1, Dano, a D and a prospect not named Rychel or Wennberg or Heatherington or Bjorkstrand depending on the return from Edmonton.

5. On the fence with McElhinney. He hasn't been terrible but he hasn't been lights out. Barring a real solid replacement I guess I'd go with him again.

Must add offensive threat to be a contender.

CBJfan4evr

Mar 8, 2008
New Albany

Two years....

Everyone keeps talking about the young core and letting them mature. The only problem I have is that by the time the young core matures we will not be able to afford to keep them. THis reminds me of the Nashville philosophy where they had good drafts, kept the pipeline full and reloaded as the pricier guys moved on E.g. Sutter. Jarmo signed a bunch of these young guys to two year contracts that will be up at the end of next year. We need to fill the gaps here by plucking what we need (sniper/gritty scoring forward) from the UFA list. We can also go the trade route, we need a firesale on 3rd/4th line grinders and need to move at least one D-man (Gobulef/Erixon). It will be interesting to see if Nikitin and Schultz move on.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
2. Trade for Jeff Skinner; adds a proven goal scorer who is still very young. I'd give up our 1st, Dano and Savard. Replace Savard with Erixon and either Golobuef or Schultz replaces Nikitin (assuming he can't be resigned for 3-3.5 mill.

Not directing this specifically at you, Espen...

...but, folks, we've got to nip this line of thinking in the bud right now, lest we become that which we hated when everybody was trying to poach Johansen. The Canes aren't going to want to give up Skinner. We've already had two back-to-back threads appear along these lines in the trade mains in the last 24 hours, both made by Jackets fans, and both times the answer has been simple, straightforward, and exactly what we deserved: "Murray or GTFO."

Let's just drop this one, folks. It ain't gonna happen, and trying to play with the idea is only going to piss people off.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
Everyone keeps talking about the young core and letting them mature. The only problem I have is that by the time the young core matures we will not be able to afford to keep them. THis reminds me of the Nashville philosophy where they had good drafts, kept the pipeline full and reloaded as the pricier guys moved on E.g. Sutter. Jarmo signed a bunch of these young guys to two year contracts that will be up at the end of next year. We need to fill the gaps here by plucking what we need (sniper/gritty scoring forward) from the UFA list. We can also go the trade route, we need a firesale on 3rd/4th line grinders and need to move at least one D-man (Gobulef/Erixon). It will be interesting to see if Nikitin and Schultz move on.

I admit this "hard to play against" thing is fun but cannot be the backbone of a CBJ SC final team, we need a little bit of everything and that includes some top six skilled scoring.. I don't know the numbers but it seems like much of our current season scoring is from bottom six guys.. We need a couple more Joeys, secondary scoring is needed but it should not be the foundation for a team's offense..

The CBJ roster needs some work no doubt, and time to mature as well.

CBJfan4evr

Mar 8, 2008
New Albany
I admit this "hard to play against" thing is fun but cannot be the backbone of a CBJ SC final team, we need a little bit of everything and that includes some top six skilled scoring.. I don't know the numbers but it seems like much of our current season scoring is from bottom six guys.. We need a couple more Joeys, secondary scoring is needed but it should not be the foundation for a team's offense..

The CBJ roster needs some work no doubt, and time to mature as well.

Can't disagree with your response, Agree totally

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
For the back up, I would target Montoya, Elliot, Greiss, Gustavsson, and maybe Vokoun(if he is 100% healthy) before I would re sign McElhinney.

I still think Jarmo is going to target Callahan if he is available but I prefer he goes after Moulson.

I also want Andrew Macdonald(I want a defensive defensemen) but I think he will cost big money. Would you guys rather keep Nikitin at a slightly cheaper price then sign Macdonald?

Also, if the Canucks buy out Booth, any interest? For lets say 1 year 1.5 mil? Or what about players like Stempniak, Raymond, or Setoguchi. Players who won't cost a lot but might not add a lot of scoring. Basically a gamble and hope for the best.

Any chance Skille is signed to a 1 way contract? Does Chaput make the team? Played well in his short stint here. Or will he be in the AHL but would be one of the first call up's?

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I know he's having a great year, but I wouldn't trade JJ straight up for Perron.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
For the back up, I would target Montoya, Elliot, Greiss, Gustavsson, and maybe Vokoun(if he is 100% healthy) before I would re sign McElhinney.

I still think Jarmo is going to target Callahan if he is available but I prefer he goes after Moulson.

I also want Andrew Macdonald(I want a defensive defensemen) but I think he will cost big money. Would you guys rather keep Nikitin at a slightly cheaper price then sign Macdonald?

Also, if the Canucks buy out Booth, any interest? For lets say 1 year 1.5 mil? Or what about players like Stempniak, Raymond, or Setoguchi. Players who won't cost a lot but might not add a lot of scoring. Basically a gamble and hope for the best.

Any chance Skille is signed to a 1 way contract? Does Chaput make the team? Played well in his short stint here. Or will he be in the AHL but would be one of the first call up's?

To give a chance to bargain players like that you need to give them ice time, and we don't have the spare ice time unless we trade away guys. I think they'll see better opportunity to resurrect their careers elsewhere.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I'll be honest; I have no issues with McBackup coming back. Gustavsson or /shiver Montoya? Ugh. Vokoun is so over.

I don't see Nikitin as a priority. I'd be ok bringing back the sergeant on a 1 or 2 year deal as the 7th d-man and leaving a slot open for someone in our farm system to take ownership.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Not directing this specifically at you, Espen...

...but, folks, we've got to nip this line of thinking in the bud right now, lest we become that which we hated when everybody was trying to poach Johansen. The Canes aren't going to want to give up Skinner. We've already had two back-to-back threads appear along these lines in the trade mains in the last 24 hours, both made by Jackets fans, and both times the answer has been simple, straightforward, and exactly what we deserved: "Murray or GTFO."

Let's just drop this one, folks. It ain't gonna happen, and trying to play with the idea is only going to piss people off.

I could care less about pissing off other teams fans. Carolina has been rumored to be shopping Skinner. If the word is out a la Nash, I think it brings his value down a bit. So no I don't give them Joey or Murray but I do think a good package like a #1, aproven D man and a top prospect ain't too shabby. If I had to enrich that a bit I'd consider it. I'm not going to give away the farm but I'd make a serious effort.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
To make us a contender, we have to decide what we're going to do with McElhinney and Nikitin. I would bring back McElhinney, and although its tough to say, I would let Nikitin walk and let one of the kids take his spot. Maybe bring back Schultz to be the 7th dman. I would also bring back MacKenzie and qualify Tropp, but let go of Comeau.

After that, I would put an offer in on Ryan Callahan and try to get him aboard. If that happens, then I would just be patient and let this group grow together.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
To make us a contender, we have to decide what we're going to do with McElhinney and Nikitin. I would bring back McElhinney, and although its tough to say, I would let Nikitin walk and let one of the kids take his spot. Maybe bring back Schultz to be the 7th dman. I would also bring back MacKenzie and qualify Tropp, but let go of Comeau.

After that, I would put an offer in on Ryan Callahan and try to get him aboard. If that happens, then I would just be patient and let this group grow together.

Ugh. Doesn't do anything to address our biggest weakness. Plus you add Callahan where does he fit as well as Umberger? This group, as blah pointed out in another thread has too many guys at or near peak to improve much if it stays intact for say 5 years. Some of the current guys are going to have to be replaced to make a serious contender out of the Jackets over the next 3 years or so.

I do agree Mackenzie needs to come back-I don't see us adding a much better 4th line center. I'd hope he signs for around 1.5 -2 for 2 years.

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.

Does everyone think Frattin was included in the Gaborik deal just so it worked out for LA? Or did Jarmo actually want him for this season and in the future? Point that I'm trying to get at is, do we qualify him and keep his rights or don't qualify him and let him become a UFA?

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I think the only way he gets qualified if its a two-way 1 million dollar deal if that is even possible under the CBA. My guess is he is gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad