2014 CBJ Offseason Thread II (All proposals, "blog" rumors, speculation in here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Do we not think we have enough internally to upgrade the bottom 6? I don't see why we would pursue Legwand. He isn't likely to sign a one year deal.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Jeeezzz, Cam was third on the team in goals scored for the love of Gordie Howe. One of only three players to score 20 goals. When is that fact going to sink in around here?

Im with you on that. This going to be a make or break year for Cam. If I remember correctly this is a contract year for him isnt it? Or does he still have one more year?

Either way I'm expecting big things from him this season. I see him cementing himself in our top 6.

Jenner-Johansen-Atkinson

That line could absolutely put up some points.

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site

I guess if I were to read into this, they want Dubinsky as the #2C, Legwand is signed to be the #3C and Anisimov is made available with Atkinson to try and get a top six LW. Or there's just not much to this. Or the other theory is that they sign Legwand to replace MacKenzie (mistake in my opinion) as #4C. It all goes back to the fact that this FO holds it's cards extremely close to the vest.

CBJRzeznik

Mar 8, 2014
I guess if I were to read into this, they want Dubinsky as the #2C, Legwand is signed to be the #3C and Anisimov is made available with Atkinson to try and get a top six LW. Or there's just not much to this. Or the other theory is that they sign Legwand to replace MacKenzie (mistake in my opinion) as #4C. It all goes back to the fact that this FO holds it's cards extremely close to the vest.

I am thinking the same. Can't see the $ that Legwand will get then being slotted as 4th line C. If our interest is real, a C would be moved and I have to believe Arty is most likely to go. Hopefully as part of package that yields a significant upgrade to Top 6.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
If Dubi wants 6x6, you hand him a pen and tell him where to sign.

I don't now. Might be better structured as a 7 yr deal a la Horton's with say 5@7 and 2 at 2.5. Avg cap hit 5.7. Meh.Nevermind, that sounds about the same.

You may be right but if Wennberg develops into a 2C then we have 6 mill locked up in a 3c.

It would definitely be a critical decision on Jarmo's part.

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
TSN Bob McKenzie

https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/status/483250877084352513

BUF has initiated compliance buyout procedures on Christian Ehrhoff. Not official just yet but BUF has begun the process.

Any interest here?
I wouldn't mind him.

Last year, Portzline was claiming that Columbus had interest in him at the deadline. If that was true, I can see Jarmo having interest in him and offering him a contract. But I think he ends up getting a better offer from a team who needs a number 1 defensemen.

For those who want D still, would you rather have Niskanen or Ehrhoff? Niskanen is younger and had a breakout year but was that a fluke and was his points due to playing on a Pens team? Can he keep it up after his new contract? Ehrhoff is proven but is getting older and might see a big decline near the end of his contract.

As for Legwand is he slow or average speed?

Last edited:

CBJSlash

Aug 13, 2003
The Bus
Visit site
I've in favor of signing any desirable free agent to solid deals at this junction if they fit our mold. Even a redundant player like Legwand because then we can use the redundant piece in a trade.

It's more about acquiring assets to the organization without giving anything up. As a promising team on the rise, we will start to be a destination.

IHeartZherdev*

I've in favor of signing any desirable free agent to solid deals at this junction if they fit our mold. Even a redundant player like Legwand because then we can use the redundant piece in a trade.

It's more about acquiring assets to the organization without giving anything up. As a promising team on the rise, we will start to be a destination.

So we should sign a washed up David Legwand to a one year deal with the intention of hoping to get a late round condition draft pick for him at the deadline? huh?

IHeartZherdev*

I am thinking the same. Can't see the $ that Legwand will get then being slotted as 4th line C. If our interest is real, a C would be moved and I have to believe Arty is most likely to go. Hopefully as part of package that yields a significant upgrade to Top 6.

Again with the trade Arty speculation. We just extended him last year after the front office identified him as a core piece. I want to add a significant upgrade to the top 6 but I don't see how Arty + Cam could net that kind of return

CBJRzeznik

Mar 8, 2014
Again with the trade Arty speculation. We just extended him last year after the front office identified him as a core piece. I want to add a significant upgrade to the top 6 but I don't see how Arty + Cam could net that kind of return

Often when reading your posts I can't tell if you are off your meds or just intolerable :shakehead. Given that I can't see Dubi being on the block....So yes Arty appears to be the most likely C to be moved if we sign another one in free agency. I like Arty but if there are going to moves made this offseason he and Cam are both valuable young players on reasonable contracts lacking NMC.

Guess you have to start every trade proposal with Tyutin for...to get any approval from you:D

IHeartZherdev*

Often when reading your posts I can't tell if you are off your meds or just intolerable :shakehead. Given that I can't see Dubi being on the block....So yes Arty appears to be the most likely C to be moved if we sign another one in free agency. I like Arty but if there are going to moves made this offseason he and Cam are both valuable young players on reasonable contracts lacking NMC.

Guess you have to start every trade proposal with Tyutin for...to get any approval from you:D

Why on earth would the CBJ sign a center in free agency? Especially one like David Legwand who will be 34 years old when the season starts? Anisimov just turned 26 and only has $3.2 million cap hit. One of our best two-way forwards, a great penalty killer, and single handily nets us 2 points with his shootout prowess.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I have to agree with IHZ here, I don't see Arty leaving unless an upgrade center is coming in. Given the doubt that this happens (As in trading for Spezza, signing Stastny, etc) I think Arty is here to stay.

CBJRzeznik

Mar 8, 2014
Why on earth would the CBJ sign a center in free agency? Especially one like David Legwand who will be 34 years old when the season starts? Anisimov just turned 26 and only has $3.2 million cap hit. One of our best two-way forwards, a great penalty killer, and single handily nets us 2 points with his shootout prowess.

Good question...I don't understand the interest in signing Legwand either and I didn't state any support for that option. What I was saying was, if the rumors of our mutual interest are correct, it certainly suggests another move coming.

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site
I have to agree with IHZ here, I don't see Arty leaving unless an upgrade center is coming in. Given the doubt that this happens (As in trading for Spezza, signing Stastny, etc) I think Arty is here to stay.

I guess it's what you consider an upgrade. Legwand is not an upgrade over Arty. Spezza isn't going to happen, Stastny is going to cost too much. Don't know the types of trade opportunities the FO may have. There's so many names flying around now, that it's hard to figure out the smoke from the bull. My only concern (and this is trivial) I'm starting to come to grips that Derek MacKenzie might not be on this club next season.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I guess it's what you consider an upgrade. Legwand is not an upgrade over Arty. Spezza isn't going to happen, Stastny is going to cost too much. Don't know the types of trade opportunities the FO may have. There's so many names flying around now, that it's hard to figure out the smoke from the bull. My only concern (and this is trivial) I'm starting to come to grips that Derek MacKenzie might not be on this club next season.

Unfortunately, I am starting to believe this too.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
I think DMac will be back, I think the other options out there are going to be deemed too expensive in comparison...but I think if he's wanting 2m per (just as an example) he'll find that if we are offering 1.25, it may be his best offer...just may take til late july/aug to get it done...

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site
I think DMac will be back, I think the other options out there are going to be deemed too expensive in comparison...but I think if he's wanting 2m per (just as an example) he'll find that if we are offering 1.25, it may be his best offer...just may take til late july/aug to get it done...

I hope you're right. I've said before I wish I had a whole team of players with heart like MacKenzie. I think he's a great influence on the kids both on the ice and in the room. He probably wants a two year deal and if the club is serious about bringing him back, they are probably only offering a one-year deal. I think that Letestu is going to be in the same predicament after this season. The prospects are starting to play their way in and there's got to be room for them.

thebus2288*

I don't like this new NHL where players like Dubi are worth 6 million a year.

What "type" of player do you see Dubinsky as? And what other players do you compare him to? Callahan? Both are captain material, and play consistently harder than 75% of the league. Both can play in ANY situation and not look out of place. These are the type of players that SHOULD be worth 6 million. But I'm sure you have no issues with players like Vanek, Semin or Gaborik getting that amount or more. Or certain unnamed PP QB's who have 1 good quality when on the ice.

Also now with talks of walking away from Arty, Foligno AND the guy who should be our captain, I have to ask: what have you guys seen from Horton that makes you want to keep him? I know he was recovering and then had separate other issues, but if we're talking bout moving on from Dubi and to a lesser extent the other 2, then why not him? Personally I'd take Foligno at 4.5 over Horton at 5.5.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
What "type" of player do you see Dubinsky as? And what other players do you compare him to? Callahan? Both are captain material, and play consistently harder than 75% of the league. Both can play in ANY situation and not look out of place. These are the type of players that SHOULD be worth 6 million. But I'm sure you have no issues with players like Vanek, Semin or Gaborik getting that amount or more. Or certain unnamed PP QB's who have 1 good quality when on the ice.

Also now with talks of walking away from Arty, Foligno AND the guy who should be our captain, I have to ask: what have you guys seen from Horton that makes you want to keep him? I know he was recovering and then had separate other issues, but if we're talking bout moving on from Dubi and to a lesser extent the other 2, then why not him? Personally I'd take Foligno at 4.5 over Horton at 5.5.

dubi has been solid, is he a $6m guy? eh? maybe...are his intangibles worth the extra couple of million...perhaps...

discuss Horton when we see him healthy...

Doug19

Oct 14, 2008
Columbus, OH

45-50 point players are not worth 6 million per year, doesn't matter how much you want to emphasize the "intangibles". The new salary system is ****ed when those types of players are making that much money. I like Dubinsky a lot, would love him to spend another 5 years here, but at 6 million? Come on, that is ludicrous. Also Foligno is not better than Horton, you haven't even seen a healthy Horton in Columbus yet. Any you're right, I have no problem with guys like Vanek and Gaborik getting that much money, they put up 25-30 points more per year and as far as Wisniewski, if he's putting up 50 points as a defender, yeah, I'd say he is worth 5 million plus as his defensive issues are nowhere near as bad as you have convinced yourself that they are.

Last edited:

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008

If it's like my definition, a guy who's good for 20 goals and 50-55 points under the right circumstances. He'll get as low as 15 goals and 40 points, or as high as 25 goals and 65 points, but outside of that is square in the middle. PP time, but not a real power play ace. PK time, but not exactly Malhotra or Pahlsson out there.

Comps: Callahan, Horton, Vermette, Stepan, Ladd, Brown, Wheeler, Kesler, Little, Hartnell, etc.

thebus2288*

The prospects are starting to play their way in and there's got to be room for them.

That's what Foligno and Anisimov's spots are for. We need the grit and effort that Mackenzie brings over Foligno and the skill and versatility Letestu has over Artem.

Right? I mean we'll get the points from the back end.

Would any of you guys rather see us use these "top" prospects that we have in trades than just MAKING room for them by moving established NHL players for them? Does AA have more value to this team right now then a package of Rychel+Bjorkstrand? Well, yes. Does AA have more value to the league than that same package? Well, no. MAYBE 10 teams that "think" their time is now. Reality is he'd be more valuable than that package to around 5 teams. What I'm saying is that we could keep our team better NOW and get a better return for a prospect heavy package than say 2 regular roster players(Arty/Foligno+Cam, etc.) The risk is that both of those players(or any other touted prospect) will become better than the "vet" that we decided to keep or trade for. But this same risk can be seen from the opposite side. These prospects that we have such high hopes for are not as good now and might never be as good as the guys we already have on the team. Why MUST there be room for them?

Doug19

Oct 14, 2008
Columbus, OH
Arty and Foligno will be easy to trade if needed. You don't trade those guys until the prospects actually come in and outplay them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad