2014 CBJ Offseason Thread II (All proposals, "blog" rumors, speculation in here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CBJRzeznik

Mar 8, 2014
Yeah, JD/JK really brought high character and intangibles to the team when the acquired Matt Frattin, Blake Comeau, Jack Skille, Illari Melart, Nick Shultz, and gave the player with 0 intangibles (Jared Boll) a ridiculous extension.

Again...please take your meds and regain some sort of balanced perspective. I just assume you like to shout: "Fire!" and then endulge in the reaction from others..it's a free country so go for it bro! However, if that is the case, you need to come to grips with the reality that most of the posters on here just ignore your opinion. Even if this post only gets you to, momentarily, think twice about the garbage you're posting consistently it will be of great benefit to the rest of us who are subjected to your consistent, 1-sided negativity.

IHeartZherdev*

And i'm sick of reading all this Boll hate from you guys. Jared Boll is a legit NHL fighter/enforcer who can play a regular shift during a game(10-12 min) and not be a liability. He also has just as much of an offensive impact as half the 4th liners in the league.

Jared Boll is a complete liability and is not a legit NHL fighter or enforcer. He gets it handed to him in almost every "fight" - which in his case means taking punches to the head and not falling down. He has no offensive impact whatsoever.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
Would you rather have Dubinsky take on the role of enforcer? Because in the playoffs, he was the only one who seemed to care when James Neal continuously ran into Sergei Bobrovsky.

Whether or not he wins every fight is moot. His presence alone can be enough to keep guys honest. Yes, his contract is not good, but he's a guy who is unanimously loved in the locker room and does at least serve some value here. If his contract were half of what it is, we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

at exactly what point in the playoffs was Boll needed? The role of the "enforcer" is quickly becoming obsolete...Dubi, Foligno, Prout, and even Jack all stepped up and provided a protector role when we needed...

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
There are very few designated "enforcers" left. Someone more familiar with NYR/LAK rosters - do they have a Jared Blol on their roster?

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
I'm sorry, but Boll has no role on this team. What he does is just not needed. I don't know why people think it is. Also, if his "presence" kept people honest, then why was Neal continuing to do what he did?

Our record when Boll played.

Regular season = 11-13-4 = 26pts in 28gp (26pts out of a possible 56pts = 46.43%)
Playoffs = 0-2

Our record when Boll didn't play.

Regular season = 31-19-3 = 65pts in 53gp (65pts out of a possible 106pts = 61.32%)
Playoffs = 2-2

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
I have nothing against boll as well but if you want an enforcer then why not keep comeau.. He is a meathead but has more skill than boll...

Personally I don't think you need an enforcer I think are team is able to stick up for themselves I mean Calvert even faught a few times Come'on Man

IHeartZherdev*

I have nothing against boll as well but if you want an enforcer then why not keep comeau.. He is a meathead but has more skill than boll...

Personally I don't think you need an enforcer I think are team is able to stick up for themselves I mean Calvert even faught a few times Come'on Man

well said, vogeezy

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I also think Boll is now even more useless with the addition of Hartsell. Another guy who knows how to get under people's skin and contribute offensively.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
at exactly what point in the playoffs was Boll needed? The role of the "enforcer" is quickly becoming obsolete...Dubi, Foligno, Prout, and even Jack all stepped up and provided a protector role when we needed...

Which is exactly why Boll didn't play in the playoffs. But, go into a 7 game series against Boston or Philadelphia without an enforcer, and see what happens...

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
Which is exactly why Boll didn't play in the playoffs. But, go into a 7 game series against Boston or Philadelphia without an enforcer, and see what happens...

nothing different b/c of the aforementioned players, plus calvert and hartnell??? i mean really...boll is nearly as worthless as they come

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005

Who are Philadelphia and Boston's enforcers?

Zac Rinaldo led the Flyers in PIM in the regular season and was a non factor in the playoffs.

Shawn Thornton is not going to be re-signed by Boston and Milan Lucic led the team in PIM during the regular season.

The "tough guys" in the playoffs are Milan Lucic and Wayne Simmonds and they are not enforcers in any sense of the word. They had 59 and 60 points respectively during the regular season. Dubinsky had 50 points and Hartnell had 52 points last year and those are the comparable CBJ players.

"Enforcers" in the true sense of the word are useless. Even more so in the playoffs because nobody wants to waste a valuable roster spot on a goon who contributes nothing when everything is on the line.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Just my .02 but I'd get Statsny

I don't care if it takes an extra year offered, that guy fits our style of play and would be a great asset in Columbus.

Dubinsky.. always wanted him when we didn't have him. It's not our money so I don't really give **** how much he makes

Boll, seems like a nice guy but is useless on the ice. He is the one guy I constantly notice being beaten/ or we get scored on while he watches

Derek McKenzie- there is still room on this team for a guy that hustles like DMac does - he is a glue guy on the 4th line.

The young guys.. they get here when they get here - but you don't open spots for them just to do it. Make them earn what they are given.

Cam Atkinson... leave this man alone. He & Testtube are 2 of the most underappreciated players in our system.

AA- the guy can play but he seems to lose interest & float.. light a fire under his ass or trade him somewhere. Sometimes I love him, & I really want to love him all the time if you know what I mean

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
It may not be our money, but I care. We can't keep giving our huge contracts. Just because we have the cap space now doesn't mean we should do it. We may wish we didn't do it in 3 or 4 years when we would like to have that cap space to do something else.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
It may not be our money, but I care. We can't keep giving our huge contracts. Just because we have the cap space now doesn't mean we should do it. We may wish we didn't do it in 3 or 4 years when we would like to have that cap space to do something else.

In my playing around with the salary cap, I had 'guesstimated" Joey at 7 mill in 2 years for the next 7. I don't think you can get around paying market prices and for long terms for guys in today's NHL. The problem with giving it to him now is he's had one good year and seems to have some attitude issues. I'd probably offer the $ but stick to the 2 years for as long as possible. of course if someone offers 7X7 or the like we'll have to make a decision and my guess is we match.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Aaron Portzline @Aportzline · 9m

The Dispatch's #CBJ chat goes off at noon today.Hope we have something to talk about so it's not awkward.

So you can watch all the over-reacting from the Joey stuff. And FWIW I hate when Porty drops chat dates out of the blue.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
Porty reports on the Qualifying Offers:

The Blue Jackets have sent qualifying offers to the following restricted free agents ahead of the 5 p.m. Monday deadline: forwards Ryan Johansen, Cory Tropp, Sean Collins and Dana Tyrell, defensemen David Savard, Tim Erixon, Cody Goloubef and Will Weber.

The following players are not expected to get qualifying offers, meaning they will become free agents on Tuesday: forward Oliver Gabriel and defenseman Anton Blomqvist.

The club appears to still be determing the fates of forwards Matt Frattin and Jake Hansen.

BluejacketNut

Sep 23, 2006
www.erazzphoto.com
Enforcers are needed when you have a soft team or if youre still playing in the 80's, 90's or 10's....I dont think the Jackets are the Charmin Soft team they were in the past. This signing was another one of JK's major blunders, he's signed at $1.7m for another 3 years, $1.7m! Talk about a bad contract, yikes.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
Enforcers are needed when you have a soft team or if youre still playing in the 80's, 90's or 10's....I dont think the Jackets are the Charmin Soft team they were in the past. This signing was another one of JK's major blunders, he's signed at $1.7m for another 3 years, $1.7m! Talk about a bad contract, yikes.

It's the term that gets me, not the amount. The guy has put in seven hard years in the league and that doesn't seem to be that far out, especially for someone they think enough of to slap a letter on. Three more years, though...?

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
$1.7MM for Boll is still a movable contract. I don't see him as an enforcer but I do think he's a guy that will certainly stick up or dish out if necessary. I don't have an issue with his deal because it's not so big he can't ride the pine not be moved. I'm more "meh" on the subject than others. Just don't see it as so polarizing.

Tony Quinn

May 20, 2014
$1.7MM for Boll is still a movable contract. I don't see him as an enforcer but I do think he's a guy that will certainly stick up or dish out if necessary. I don't have an issue with his deal because it's not so big he can't ride the pine not be moved. I'm more "meh" on the subject than others. Just don't see it as so polarizing.

I don't get all the haranging either. Boll's contract, in both dollars and length, will have minimal impact on how the Jackets conduct business moving forward. Granted, most players filling Boll's role make about $1 million less, but it shouldn't have much of an impact on free agency or keeping whatever players the CBJ want to keep/sign.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad