2014 CBJ Offseason Thread II (All proposals, "blog" rumors, speculation in here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Forwards for 2-14-15

Forwards under contract for next season:
Horton, Dubinsky, Anisimov, Foligno, Boll, Letestu, Atkinson, Calvert, Jenner

RFA forwards:
Johansen, Frattin, Tropp

UFA forwards:
Mackenzie, Comeau, Skille

special dispensation:
Umberger

Questions: Who gets re-signed? What roster spots need upgraded? How do you go about upgrading, and what is the fallout to the players above - i.e., if you're looking for a winger for Johansen, what happens to whomever played on his wing last season?

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Defense for 2-14-15

Defensemen under contract for next season:
Wisniewski, Tyutin, Johnson, Murray

RFA defensemen:
Savard, Prout, Erixon (Goloubef/Weber)

UFA defensemen:
Nikitin, Schultz

Questions: Who gets re-signed? What roster spots need upgraded? Do we need to go outside the org. to do so?

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Here's my 23 man roster:

CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER
CapGeek Armchair GM Roster

FORWARDS
Boone Jenner ($0.778m) / Ryan Johansen ($5.851m) / Nathan Horton ($5.300m)
Loui Eriksson ($4.250m) / Artem Anisimov ($3.283m) / Nick Foligno ($3.083m)
Matt Calvert ($0.988m) / Brandon Dubinsky ($4.200m) / Cam Atkinson ($1.150m)
Derek MacKenzie ($1.000m) / Mark Letestu ($1.250m) / Jack Skille ($0.975m)
Jared Boll ($1.700m)

Wennberg and/or Hjalmarsson only make the roster if they force their way on. Frattin, Tropp and Umberger are all traded away, Comeau unsigned. The one big acquisition is a trade for Loui Eriksson, as we won't have to give up much.

DEFENSEMEN
Ryan Murray ($0.894m) / Jack Johnson ($4.357m)
Cody Goloubef ($0.868m) / David Savard ($1.745m)
Tim Erixon ($1.151m) / James Wisniewski ($5.500m)
Fedor Tyutin ($4.500m) / Dalton Prout 700K

The pairings are just my attempt to get Murray and Jack together. We don't have a top pair RHD, so there might be some handedness issues. In the playoffs Savard played very well on the top pair, but I'm not penciling him in there yet.

GOALTENDERS
Sergei Bobrovsky ($5.625m)
Thomas Greiss ($2.000m)

We have a good bit of money leftover, and I think its more than justified to spend a couple million on Bob insurance. With Forsberg pushing that's great goalie depth. I'd love to have an Anaheim type situation.

BUYOUTS
Mike Commodore ($1.142m)
RETAINED SALARIES (2.14% of upper limit)
R.J. Umberger ($1.518m—33.00%)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,814,100; BONUSES: $2,909,167
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $7,285,900

This isn't much different than last year's roster, and we still don't have a sure bet on a top line wing. But it leaves us very deep and with lots of flexibility to add during the season.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
On what do you base this and what would be given up in that deal?

I would like to get the guy, but I'm not sure how he thinks that is going to work. Boston is going to ask him to move his NTC to come to a conference rival? Boston might want some cap relief, but they aren't in trouble with the cap.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I would like to get the guy, but I'm not sure how he thinks that is going to work. Boston is going to ask him to move his NTC to come to a conference rival? Boston might want some cap relief, but they aren't in trouble with the cap.

they are kind of with the cap penalty but getting rid of Kelly and Mcquaid will solve a lot of their problems

major major

Feb 18, 2013
On what do you base this and what would be given up in that deal?

I'm not sure actually. It all depends on how Boston wants to get out of cap trouble. Boston has two amnesty buyouts they haven't used, so they could use them on the dinged up guys: Kelly and Mcquaid, (Kelly is not tradeable) but maybe they don't want to pay for that and would prefer to trade Eriksson instead. (Eriksson is the most expensive guy in their bottom 6).

Maybe they'd want to clear some salary with something like:

Eriksson and Mcquaid

for

Draft pick and Prout.

IIRC they signaled after the Montreal series that they want to get faster, so that might mean 1) they want to clear a lot more cap space to go after faster players, or 2) they want Cam Atkinson... Cam was off his game for much of this year, for whatever reason, so I think his value is too low now. In other words I want to buy low on Eriksson but I refuse to sell low on Atkinson.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Yeah... I tried a roster too. Explanations at the bottom (maybe not good ones but...)

FORWARDS
Sven Baertschi ($0.894m) / Ryan Johansen ($4.500m) / Nathan Horton ($5.300m)
Matt Calvert ($0.988m) / Brandon Dubinsky ($4.200m) / Marcus Johansson ($2.000m)
Boone Jenner ($0.778m) / Artem Anisimov ($3.283m) / Nick Foligno ($3.083m)
Tim Kennedy ($0.700m) / Mark Letestu ($1.250m) / Jared Boll ($1.700m)
Matt Kassian ($0.650m) / Michael Chaput ($0.707m) /
DEFENSEMEN
James Wisniewski ($5.500m) / Fedor Tyutin ($4.500m)
Jack Johnson ($4.357m) / Ryan Murray ($0.894m)
Jared Cowen ($3.100m) / David Savard ($1.300m)
Tim Erixon ($0.800m) /
GOALTENDERS
Alex Stalock ($1.400m)
BUYOUTS
Mike Commodore ($1.142m)
RETAINED SALARIES (1.62% of upper limit)
R.J. Umberger ($1.150m—25.00%)
------
SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $59,801,309; BONUSES: $3,440,417
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $11,298,691
------
SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $60,694,642; BONUSES: $3,247,083
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $10,405,358

To OTT: Prout, Dano
To CBJ: Cowen

Cowen has size and skating ability and is coming off a bad year but the talent is there. It's a risk but at worst he's like Prout (but more expensive)

To WAS: 2014 1st, Goloubef, Tynin
To CBJ: Johansson

Johansson can play anywhere in the top 6. I'm guessing most will say this doesn't get it done especially given we are within division.

To CGY: Atkinson, TOR 2nd (2014 or 2015), Zaar
To CBJ: Baertschi

Baertschi has a ton of promise but hasn't put it together in Calgary. Rumors he could be moved. May need to use the 2014 1st here and modify WAS trade but I think we have the pieces to do it.

I sign Tim Kennedy and Matt Kassian (true heavyweight) to help with situational play and allow the young players to play a year in Springfield. RJ goes to St. Louis to play with Hitch with 25% retained in return for a draft pick. Thought Stalock would be a solid backup yet could play if Bob got hurt.

Still allows for future roster flexibility and plenty of space to re-sign players in the near future. Also a faster, smarter lineup. In my opinion.

Flame on!

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Of course, Xoggz, the problem we're all going to mention is that you're giving up a ton of assets for players that have never really put it together (and might never). Cowen might not have the brains to play top 4 D, and Baertschi might never even become an NHLer. Why would you put him on the first line in the NHL when he didn't even play like a first liner in the AHL? And Johansson doesn't really do much - he gets a ton of ice time with talented players and has yet to produce much.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
they are kind of with the cap penalty but getting rid of Kelly and Mcquaid will solve a lot of their problems

The have all their big names signed with around 8 mil in cap space (69 or so cap). I really don't see the issue.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
The have all their big names signed with around 8 mil in cap space (69 or so cap). I really don't see the issue.

If the cap is ~$70m and they have a ~$4m cap penalty, then their cap is ~$66m. I count their salary above that if they resign the key RFA's, and Iginla. I think they do need to jettison some salary.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
@RealKyper #Leafs remain aggressive in #NHL trade market. The only 4 players I hear they are not actively shopping are Bernier Kessel Bozak and Rielly

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
@RealKyper #Leafs remain aggressive in #NHL trade market. The only 4 players I hear they are not actively shopping are Bernier Kessel Bozak and Rielly

I'd like JVR but I wouldn't pay over the moon for him.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Here would be MY ideal lineup for opening night after the offseason

FORWARDS
Mike Cammalleri ($7.000m) / Ryan Johansen ($4.500m) / Boone Jenner ($0.778m)
Nick Foligno ($3.083m) / Artem Anisimov ($3.283m) / Nathan Horton ($5.300m)
Alexander Wennberg ($0.925m) / Brandon Dubinsky ($4.200m) / Cam Atkinson ($1.150m)
Matt Calvert ($0.988m) / Derek MacKenzie ($1.200m) / Mark Letestu ($1.250m)
Jared Boll ($1.700m) / Corey Tropp ($0.900m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Jack Johnson ($4.357m) / David Savard ($2.000m)
Ryan Murray ($0.894m) / Fedor Tyutin ($4.500m)
Tim Erixon ($1.000m) / James Wisniewski ($5.500m)
Dalton Prout ($1.200m) /
GOALTENDERS
Curtis McElhinney ($1.000m)
BUYOUTS
Mike Commodore ($1.142m)
RETAINED SALARIES (0.65% of upper limit)
------
SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,935,476; BONUSES: $3,190,833
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $7,164,524

As you see, the only add to the roster outside of the organization is Mike Cammalleri. Who would instantly fit in to our top LW spot. I had Jenner staying alongside of Johansen due to the chemistry they showed, and I almost had the Jenner-Johansen-Horton line stay together, but I would give Cammy a try there next to Joey and we could move around Jenner and Horton.

I have Wennberg making the team out of camp and playing LW with Dubi and Cam. Taking the place of Calvert, so the kid better be ready to battle in the corners.

I gave Johansen a 4.5 million dollar deal, which I ultimately think he will get or be in the neighborhood of.

I retained Tropp over Comeau and kept DMac. But at first I had us dropping both Tropp and Comeau and having Hjalmarsson up, because I seriously believe they signed him with the intention on him playing up here, but I just couldn't pull the trigger on that due to Tropp's youth and physicality. I bet Comeau tries to sign elsewhere in hopes of landing a 3rd line job somewhere.

Retained 25% of RJ's salary in a trade, which ultimately we get a draft pick/prospect because I didn't know where to trade him/what to take from that team. So for now lets assume we get a pick or prospect.

Kept McElhinney. He did his job, and gets a modest raise.

Gave Savard 2 million, Erixon 1, and Prout 1.2.

Not alot of changes to the team. But we do address our top 6 LW issue big time in my dream scenario. I am a little concerned about the youthfulness on the D, and its really banking alot of Savard and Murray improving while Prout and Erixon battle each other to stay in the lineup. Risky, but ultimately it's likely going to happen unless they plan on dealing Prout/Erixon in hopes of landing a sure fire top 4 defender, which I don't rule out happening but I doubt it.

Have at it. :)

Last edited:

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada

No top 6 RW signed and Reilly is going to get a decent raise along with Krug. Also need a backup goalie

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio

FORWARDS
Alexander Wennberg ($0.925m) / Brandon Dubinsky ($4.200m) / Cam Atkinson ($1.150m)
DEFENSEMEN
Dalton Prout ($1.200m) /
GOALTENDERS
BUYOUTS
Mike Commodore ($1.142m)
------

As you see, the only add to the roster outside of the organization is Mike Cammalleri. Who would instantly fit in to our top LW spot. I had Jenner staying alongside of Johansen due to the chemistry they showed, and I almost had the Jenner-Johansen-Horton line stay together, but I would give Cammy a try there next to Joey and we could move around Jenner and Horton.

I have Wennberg making the team out of camp and playing LW with Dubi and Cam. Taking the place of Calvert, so the kid better be ready to battle in the corners.

I gave Johansen a 4.5 million dollar deal, which I ultimately think he will get or be in the neighborhood of.

I retained Tropp over Comeau and kept DMac. But at first I had us dropping both Tropp and Comeau and having Hjalmarsson up, because I seriously believe they signed him with the intention on him playing up here, but I just couldn't pull the trigger on that due to Tropp's youth and physicality. I bet Comeau tries to sign elsewhere in hopes of landing a 3rd line job somewhere.

Retained 25% of RJ's salary in a trade, which ultimately we get a draft pick/prospect because I didn't know where to trade him/what to take from that team. So for now lets assume we get a pick or prospect.

Not alot of changes to the team. But we do address our top 6 LW issue big time in my dream scenario. I am a little concerned about the youthfulness on the D, and its really banking alot of Savard and Murray improving while Prout and Erixon battle each other to stay in the lineup. Risky, but ultimately it's likely going to happen unless they plan on dealing Prout/Erixon in hopes of landing a sure fire top 4 defender, which I don't rule out happening but I doubt it.

I don't mind throwing an offer at Cammalleri, but 7 million? How many years are you giving him as hypothetical GM?

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
No top 6 RW signed and Reilly is going to get a decent raise along with Krug. Also need a backup goalie

Yeah, you are overselling it for whatever agenda you have. They are not in cap trouble. They aren't going to create a hole in the lineup to fill in another hole in the lineup. They'll fill internal for find a stop-gap. Next off-season it could get more dicey.

The Krug contract? Pu-lees. He'll definitely get a raise, but he's played a grand total of 82 regular season games.

Last edited:

cbjfaninmo

4 those about 2 rock
Mar 17, 2012
Lake of the Ozarks, MO

FORWARDS
DEFENSEMEN
Dalton Prout ($1.200m) /
GOALTENDERS
BUYOUTS
Mike Commodore ($1.142m)
------

Generally, I think this is close. I am warming to the Cammy idea but not at 7 mil. We also need a backup goalie. I am still hoping RJ is moved with no salary retained but that may not be realisitic. I don't see a lot of turnover this summer as we wait for the young'uns.

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site
I still think that this club needs two top 6 forwards (one left, one right). There are two players that intrigue me, one we'd have to trade for and one is a UFA. Both have been mentioned in this thread. Patrick Sharp and Ryan Callahan. Sharp has a 5.9M cap hit for the next three seasons. He's 32 but he's productive and I think fits what the club is looking for. Chicago is going to need cap space to be able to extend both Kane and Toews and the Jackets can provide that to them. As for Callahan, he'd be great as a 2nd line RW and again fits the identity of the team perfectly. He's familiar with a lot of guys here, so there might be a comfort level here. Price tag is obviously a gigantic consideration.

If you could get Sharp for picks/prospects, dump RJ and sign Callahan to a reasonable contract, that would be a banner offseason and put this club into a position to take the next step.

Sharp-Johansen-Horton
Jenner-Anisimov-Callahan
Foligno-Dubinsky-Atkinson
Calvert-Letestu-MacKenzie
Skille-Boll

Last edited:

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site
In general terms:

RJU out and a UFA (hopefully) top-6 wing in? Backup goalie, maybe? That's it? Veteran depth, apart from Mackenzie, allowed to walk?

IMO, allowing MacKenzie to walk would be a mistake. You want a guy like him pushing the culture of hard work and dedication. I'm very partial to Derek, if he were a top six forward, I wouldn't be surprised if they put the "C" on his jersey.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Yeah, you are overselling it for whatever agenda you have. They are not in cap trouble. They aren't going to create a hole in the lineup to fill in another hole in the lineup. They'll fill internal for find a stop-gap. Next off-season it could get more dicey.

The Krug contract? Pu-lees. He'll definitely get a raise, but he's played a grand total of 82 regular season games.

I'm not overselling anything, i'm saying what it is. calm down little fella

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
IMO, allowing MacKenzie to walk would be a mistake. You want a guy like him pushing the culture of hard work and dedication. I'm very partial to Derek, if he were a top six forward, I wouldn't be surprised if they put the "C" on his jersey.

I was trying to sum up what I'd seen suggested - no one was allowing DMac to walk, and that's reflected in my post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->