2014 CBJ Offseason Thread II (All proposals, "blog" rumors, speculation in here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boomshakalaka

Why do I do this?
May 1, 2014
Columbus
With Commodores buyout running out after the year is done, at least that will cover a good amount of Boll s contract for the next couple if years. As for the roster spot, scratch - enforcers are done replaced by pests and power forwards.

Hopefully within the next couple of day s Joey s contract will be sorted so we can get our depth in order. I love d Mac s hustle but I think that Letestu can keep the glue in the 4 th line going so if Mac goes I m not seeing a huge loss. I like Skille for depth but I also think other teams are eyeing him for the same reason but we got Tropp to cover. We can catch a fourth line free agent or bring up Chaput or hjalmarsson.

would love to see Dubi get an extension mid season, ha if not just for more post loss pissed off interviews. I'm with the side who thinks this guy should be captain especially if they want to try to keep selling the jackets as a blue collar team. No trade for arty, but trade for upgrade on cam only for an upgrade. Next year we are gonna be spending the load.

And please god have Horton be healthy for a year

thebus2288*

Any interest in Volchenkov, Gleason or O'Brien? I think we could use another defense 1st guy.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Any interest in Volchenkov, Gleason or O'Brien? I think we could use another defense 1st guy.

Every single one of them are old, and can't skate. Volchenkov was only good for blocking shots and O'Brien is just a party boy. No thanks

thebus2288*

Ok what bad things do you guys have to say about Gleason? He's the best out of the 3. There's going to be injuries and "bad play" during the year. I'd be ok with Gleason or Volchenkov as a 5-7. 2-2.5 million for a year or two.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Ok what bad things do you guys have to say about Gleason? He's the best out of the 3. There's going to be injuries and "bad play" during the year. I'd be ok with Gleason or Volchenkov as a 5-7. 2-2.5 million for a year or two.

I like the idea of a vet d-man, but nobody liked my idea of a 7th round pick for Roszival - who doesn't specifically meet your d-first criteria, but still.

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site
Tomorrow sounds like it's not going to be much fun. I'm hoping all the signals that Jarmo is going to sit on his hands are wrong. I'm crossing my fingers that there will be a surprise of some sort.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
What exactly can we do? Even better, what do we have to do? We really have open spots. We already have enough players on big contracts. All you get in FA are guys who get overpaid (term or money). I really hope we don't do anything. Last thing we need to do is to overpay for some older player and play him over one of our young players who is better. There are very few players I would want us to even think aobut trying to sign.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Tomorrow sounds like it's not going to be much fun. I'm hoping all the signals that Jarmo is going to sit on his hands are wrong. I'm crossing my fingers that there will be a surprise of some sort.

Yeah tomorrows going to be a day where we sit here with our hands on our chins bored and wondering what we're doing..

But its for the best. Hopefully we can re-sign MacKenzie and I can call it an offseason (After the RFA signings of course)

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site
What exactly can we do? Even better, what do we have to do? We really have open spots. We already have enough players on big contracts. All you get in FA are guys who get overpaid (term or money). I really hope we don't do anything. Last thing we need to do is to overpay for some older player and play him over one of our young players who is better. There are very few players I would want us to even think aobut trying to sign.

If more of the kids were ready to step in and play, I'd be along the same lines of thinking. They may be in a year or two, but we need players that will keep us a playoff team. Hartnell will help, but I still think we need another piece. I'm not saying we need to break the bank, but there will be some quality players out there that would boost this club.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
If more of the kids were ready to step in and play, I'd be along the same lines of thinking. They may be in a year or two, but we need players that will keep us a playoff team. Hartnell will help, but I still think we need another piece. I'm not saying we need to break the bank, but there will be some quality players out there that would boost this club.

We were a playoff team this year. We will hopefully get a full year from Horton. We have Hartnell. Hopefully, the young guys (Murray, Johansen, Savard, etc....) keep improving. Not sure why we have to do something to be a playoff team. We were a playoff team this year and are already a better team if you ask me. So, do you think the teams behind us are going to improve that much? Who out there would you sign that would be better than who we already have?

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Unless we're gonna go with a big-timer at right wing, I'd rather we go to battle with the guys we have.

Last edited:

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
We were a playoff team this year. We will hopefully get a full year from Horton. We have Hartnell. Hopefully, the young guys (Murray, Johansen, Savard, etc....) keep improving. Not sure why we have to do something to be a playoff team. We were a playoff team this year and are already a better team if you ask me. So, do you think the teams behind us are going to improve that much? Who out there would you sign that would be better than who we already have?
Exactly. We were a playoff team without Horton, now we should get a full year of him and a upgrade on Umberger.

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site

I don't want to be just a playoff team, it's time move forward, win a round or two or I don't know become a contender. I said in my other post that I want moves that will help keep us a playoff team. Hartnell was a good step, but I still think we need a second line RW. Vrbata has been brought up here, he would be a pretty reasonable signing that would improve this club. You mentioned that "hopefully the young guys keep improving" but do perennial playoff teams rely on these types of statements? I'm not saying out with the young and in with the old, I'm just saying we need to find a good blend until the prospects play their way into the lineup.

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
So.. who plays 2nd line RW, assuming we do nothing in FA? Atkinson? Or do we try and bump Foligno over and have the lines going something like this

Jenner/Joey/Horton
Hartnell/Anisimov/Foligno
Calvert/Dubinsky/Atkinson
DMac/Letestu/?

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
So.. who plays 2nd line RW, assuming we do nothing in FA? Atkinson? Or do we try and bump Foligno over and have the lines going something like this

Jenner/Joey/Horton
Hartnell/Anisimov/Foligno
Calvert/Dubinsky/Atkinson
DMac/Letestu/?

I see nothing wrong with that group of forwards. Gritty, can score, and all are reliable in both ends. You want to win games? Ice a lineup that has three lines that can match up against any line in the league. That lineup does it.

Even if we don't sign one of the big names tomorrow - which, face it guys, is going to be a stretch - we're fine. The only thing we should really be concerned about are major injuries.

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site
Another name I'll throw out is Leo Komarov. He played for Jarmo at the Olympics, he's a third line RW. I'm guessing, not much would be need to make a signing like that. It would bump Atkinson up to the second line. That would make really four tough, gritty lines that would make us tough to play against. There's not a ton of skill there, but a lot of hard work and toughness.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Going into tomorrow, factoring out all UFA's (MacKenzie, Schultz, Comeau, Skille) and keeping all RFA's. Here would be my lineup

Jenner - Joey - Horton
Hartnell - Anisimov - Atkinson
Calvert - Dubinsky - Foligno
Hjalmarsson - Letestu - Boll
Tropp, Frattin

JJ - Savard
Murray - Wisniewski
Tyutin - Prout
Erixon

Bob
McE

Having a hard time keeping Wennberg off the roster. I still think he's going to make it hard on management to send him down. Anyway, that's a pretty solid group with some depth. I just hope we keep MacKenzie still :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad