2014 CBJ Offseason Thread II (All proposals, "blog" rumors, speculation in here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
so.. a Nick Schultz type acquisition/usage?

Wouldn't Nick Schultz himself be cheaper?

Why would we want the guy if we can get a guy like the guy?

How much do you guys think Nick Schultz made on his last contract? Sure he was marginalized and traded, but how much less than $3.6 mil do you think he's due to make? And for how long? Also you may note Schultz falls short in the areas of being right-handed and having won the Cup. Other than that, they're carbon copies. Schultz has "being younger" on his side of the ledger.

Waste of money if you ask me.

Well I sorta did by posting an opinion on a public discussion forum, so...

Cool. You're not a hedger.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
By my calculations if we sign Joey at 5.5 plus DMac and Erixon for 2.5 or so combined we'll be right around 60 mill in cap.

Next year we need to re-sign 7 FA's. A lot depends on how much cap goes up but it could be a concern next year. I think that this has to be considered when signing FA's. I estimate that next year we could be around 68 when/if all our FA's are re-signed. Depending on where the cap goes it would leave at most 7 mill and my guess it will be more like a 4-5 mill cushion.

I think guys like Stastny, Vanek, and sigh, Iggy, are out of the question now. Maybe a guy like Mason Raymond will fit but who knows. Plus the need to "leave" roster room next year for Wennberg,Rychel, et al has to be considered. Not to mention having some cap room at the trade deadline.

I'm pessimistic that we add anyone significant in free agency. Of course I'm usually wrong so there is that factor. :laugh:

Imo, a trade is our best hope to further strengthen the team at this point.

Maybe Jarmo isn't planning to re-sign all 7? (8 if you count McElhinney) And by my count, 4 are RFA. Which makes some difference.

Several posters keep saying the team needs to allow flexibility for the recently-drafted players to make the team. Doesn't Letestu, for example, seem a prime candidate to have his spot vacated? Will the team decide, as many have here, that it can do better than Cam?

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Maybe Jarmo isn't planning to re-sign all 7? (8 if you count McElhinney) And by my count, 4 are RFA. Which makes some difference.

Several posters keep saying the team needs to allow flexibility for the recently-drafted players to make the team. Doesn't Letestu, for example, seem a prime candidate to have his spot vacated? Will the team decide, as many have here, that it can do better than Cam?

Bolded - I think he's a candidate. Very solid player but does he truly provide something a younger player in our system can't (beyond experience and locker room presence - which are important but may not be needed from a replacement like this)

I think the big decisions will be extending Dubinsky and Foligno. I have to believe that extending Dubi would likely spell the end of Anisimov's time in Columbus. Jenner or Wennberg should/could be ready to play C in the NHL on a lower responsibility level within the next year. I love Arty but think he or Dubi becomes the ultimate 3rd line(+) center long term.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011

You raise good questions.

If we don't re-sign all 7, and yes 4 are RFA's but they still have to be signed, we will have to sign someone to replace them and I'm guessing we can't get the quality of Calvert, Cam, Letestu, McElhiney at their current salary so whoever fills those spots will be more expensive. Allowing that some of the prospects take their places would help but my guess is that they are more likely to take the filler spots that will be held by the likes of Skille & Tropp for example, therefore no real cap savings there.

Its not so much the $ this year its the term that big time UFA's will want that could be a factor. And if Joey proves difficult and we have to go to 6.5- 7 there goes a bit more $. I think cap is a somewhat bigger issue than we have heretofore thought.

Last edited:

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Bolded - I think he's a candidate. Very solid player but does he truly provide something a younger player in our system can't (beyond experience and locker room presence - which are important but may not be needed from a replacement like this)

I think the big decisions will be extending Dubinsky and Foligno. I have to believe that extending Dubi would likely spell the end of Anisimov's time in Columbus. Jenner or Wennberg should/could be ready to play C in the NHL on a lower responsibility level within the next year. I love Arty but think he or Dubi becomes the ultimate 3rd line(+) center long term.

Arty is signed for two more years so he will impact cap for that long unless he is traded, which I think he will be at some point (Dubi is much more valuable imo) - probably after the season or at the trade deadline two seasons down the line. And if he is traded, unless its for picks only which I doubt, unless it's at the 2016 trade deadline the return will bring $ to the cap.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Arty is signed for two more years so he will impact cap for that long unless he is traded, which I think he will be at some point (Dubi is much more valuable imo) - probably after the season or at the trade deadline two seasons down the line. And if he is traded, unless its for picks only which I doubt, unless it's at the 2016 trade deadline the return will bring $ to the cap.

My point was that if Dubi is re-signed I highly doubt that Anisimov would be retained the following year. I wasn't inferring they both needed to be extended this off season. My bad if that's how you read it. I could, however, see the CBJ extending Anisimov next year in the event they can't come to terms with Dubi.

I agree that Dubi is more valuable. His locker room presence alone and extreme desire to win is tough to come by.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
You raise good questions.

If we don't re-sign all 7, and yes 4 are RFA's but they still have to be signed, we will have to sign someone to replace them and I'm guessing we can't get the quality of Calvert, Cam, Letestu, McElhiney at their current salary so whoever fills those spots will be more expensive. Allowing that some of the prospects take their places would help but my guess is that they are more likely to take the filler spots that will be held by the likes of Skille & Tropp for example, therefore no real cap savings there.

Its not so much the $ this year its the term that big time UFA's will want that could be a factor. And if Joey proves difficult and we have to go to 6.5- 7 there goes a bit more $. I think cap is a somewhat bigger issue than we have heretofore thought.

I can see Wennberg taking Letestu's spot. Rychel in for Cam. Maybe. I could see neither of those happening. To your point, we still don't save much if they happen.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
My point was that if Dubi is re-signed I highly doubt that Anisimov would be retained the following year. I wasn't inferring they both needed to be extended this off season. My bad if that's how you read it. I could, however, see the CBJ extending Anisimov next year in the event they can't come to terms with Dubi.

I agree that Dubi is more valuable. His locker room presence alone and extreme desire to win is tough to come by.

No I understood your point. I was just opining that I think its Arty who goes but if Dubi goes Callahan and wants 6x6 then I agree that Arty has a good chance of sticking around. It doesn't seem to be Jarmo's style (except for the Boll deal :shakehead) but I would think that extending Dubi sooner rather than later would make a ton of sense.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
I dunno how reliable this guy is but makes no sense to me lol...

Karan Thakur ‏@KThakur20 8m

Just received a text from a source in Ohio: "#CBJ has a meeting with David Legwand today. Strong interest from both sides."

https://twitter.com/KThakur20/status/482290331275124737

Still whispers out there that we're interested in Legwand.

On Legwand...

Great character player...Minnesota, Tampa, and Columbus all want his services...

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklu...s-away-here-are-all-the-latest-rumors/1/60989

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005

Dubinsky? Maybe

Foligno? I wouldn't. We need to create room somewhere for the prospects we have and he seems to be the best option.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
How much do you guys think Nick Schultz made on his last contract? Sure he was marginalized and traded, but how much less than $3.6 mil do you think he's due to make? And for how long? Also you may note Schultz falls short in the areas of being right-handed and having won the Cup. Other than that, they're carbon copies. Schultz has "being younger" on his side of the ledger.

I just don't think it is that hard to find a 7th defenseman if we need one. No need to spend any money on one until that happens.

Socks

Stuff and Things Man
Nov 14, 2007
Stuff and Things

I was being facetious.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Jeeezzz, Cam was third on the team in goals scored for the love of Gordie Howe. One of only three players to score 20 goals. When is that fact going to sink in around here?

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
I think Legwand is declining...I'd rather just bring back Dmac if we're gonna do that...he's cheaper and plays the system well enough...

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
I think Legwand is declining...I'd rather just bring back Dmac if we're gonna do that...he's cheaper and plays the system well enough...

You can have both. I think Legwand is an upgrade on Tropp, Frattin, Comeau, Boll, et al

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Another UFA who is interesting and could be had for < 2 mill is Dominic Moore. Rumor has it Rangers can't re-sign him. He looked good to me in the playoffs and seems like he fits our style.

D-Mac - Moore- Letestu

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
No I understood your point. I was just opining that I think its Arty who goes but if Dubi goes Callahan and wants 6x6 then I agree that Arty has a good chance of sticking around. It doesn't seem to be Jarmo's style (except for the Boll deal :shakehead) but I would think that extending Dubi sooner rather than later would make a ton of sense.

If Dubi wants 6x6, you hand him a pen and tell him where to sign.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad