Prospect Info: 2014-2015 Prospect Stats and Discussion Pt. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
Caleb Jones with a goal and assist at the US World Junior Evaluation Camp scrimmage. A couple positive mentions from Pronman too. He'll be playing Lagesson and the Swedes tomorrow.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
There's a thread in the Polls section where I said even without McDavid, I wouldn't trade the Oilers' prospects for the Jets'.

Found out pretty quickly how defensive/passionate the Jets fans are here.

Although they're doing a piss-poor job of trying to convince me I'm out of my mind.

phrenssoa

Nov 21, 2014
Winnipeg
There's a thread in the Polls section where I said even without McDavid, I wouldn't trade the Oilers' prospects for the Jets'.

Although they're doing a piss-poor job of trying to convince me I'm out of my mind.

That's the craziest thing I've read on this site in a while. I'm an Oilers fan first and foremost but I also closely follow the Jets so I'm more familiar with both prospect pools than just about anyone on this site.

The Jets have five first-rounders in the system, and they all have first line / top pairing potential (except maybe Armia). Not to mention Petan and Hellebuyck, who are two later-round picks with star potential.

They also have a ton of quality depth pieces in Harkins, Copp, Comrie, Kostalek, Lemieux, De Leo, Spacek, etc..

The Oilers have Draisaitl and Nurse, then a bunch of depth pieces, none of whom are looking like potential top-six forwards or top-pairing D-men.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
That's the craziest thing I've read on this site in a while. I'm an Oilers fan first and foremost but I also closely follow the Jets so I'm more familiar with both prospect pools than just about anyone on this site.

The Jets have five first-rounders in the system, and they all have first line / top pairing potential (except maybe Armia). Not to mention Petan and Hellebuyck, who are two later-round picks with star potential.

They also have a ton of quality depth pieces in Harkins, Copp, Comrie, Kostalek, Lemieux, De Leo, Spacek, etc..

The Oilers have Draisaitl and Nurse, then a bunch of depth pieces, none of whom are looking like potential top-six forwards or top-pairing D-men.
1) The Oilers clearly have more/better defense prospects, which will be more important for this team down the road. Jets fans keep telling me they have so many decent forward prospects, but ignore the defense, which is silly.

2) If the Oilers had all the Jets' forward prospects, where would you see them play in the future? Petan/Roslovic would be #4 on the Oilers' depth chart of centres 22 and under.

3) I find the "quality depth" pieces concept kind of funny. We have no idea how any of these guys will turn out, and if they're "quality" or not. "Quality" doesn't always necessarily mean players drafted lower than the popular opinion at the time. And when you're talking about depth players, it's often the unexpected ones who excel, even though they were thought of as nothing at the time.

At the same time last you list Harkins, Copp, Comrie, Kostalek, Lemieux, De Leo and Spacek, I can name Slepyshev, Platzer, Laurikainen, Betker, Chase, Jones, Bear, etc.

Looking at the Oilers' system, all the shiny names on forward (Winnipeg's) don't exactly excite me, for obvious reasons.

phrenssoa

Nov 21, 2014
Winnipeg
Well if you're taking team needs into consideration I can see where you're coming from. At the same time, Jets fans don't worry about the defense, because they haven't been in dire need of defensemen in recent years. Morrissey and Kostalek aren't nobodies either.

It's all a matter of perspective, but honestly, I'm not very high on the Oilers' prospects outside of the top 3. They have a lot of pieces on D, but none of them strike me as potential top-four guys outside of Nurse. Or maybe it's just me having learned to expect the worst from the Oilers, considering they've only experienced failure since the time I became a fan in 2007.

rockinghockey

Oct 22, 2008
This is what I don't understand about prospects that that is what they are. Take a look at the top 50 and how many of those players don't even make it in the NHL,

misfit

5-14-6-1
Feb 2, 2004
just north of...everything

If it's any consolation, neither would I.

I don't know if Reinhart is included, but even though our group gets pretty thin after Draisaitl and Nurse, I wouldn't take any Jets prospect over either of those guys, and quality trumps quantity every time.

With that said, I do like the way the Jets have been drafting the last few years.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
Caleb Jones with a goal and assist at the US World Junior Evaluation Camp scrimmage. A couple positive mentions from Pronman too. He'll be playing Lagesson and the Swedes tomorrow.

Jones got boarded late in a 10-3 blowout for Finland. He got up and skated off on his own power.

Cuts are suppose to come tonight. I think Caleb has a decent shot at making the team. Hanifin and Werenski are locks, and assuming they want to take an equal amount of righties & lefties, Jones is duking it out with Chad Krys and Jake Walman IMO.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Jones got boarded late in a 10-3 blowout for Finland. He got up and skated off on his own power.

Cuts are suppose to come tonight. I think Caleb has a decent shot at making the team. Hanifin and Werenski are locks, and assuming they want to take an equal amount of righties & lefties, Jones is duking it out with Chad Krys and Jake Walman IMO.

Hanifin left school so I expect he believes he will make the NHL. The question would be, do they him go?

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown

Traitor.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
Hanifin left school so I expect he believes he will make the NHL. The question would be, do they him go?

Good point!

Summer Camp cuts came this morning, Caleb Jones survived them and no more cuts are expected. I'm a bit confused, is this amalgamated Blue & White team going to the Ivan Hlinka as well? I always thought that was a draft year tourny for the U-17s.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
John Marino's USHL rights have been traded from Chicago to Tri-City.

I think that's solid. Let's us not have to sign him till 1 more year (5 years max now). We got plenty of LHD prospects we need to find ice time for, even 3 years down the road

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
I think that's solid. Let's us not have to sign him till 1 more year (5 years max now). We got plenty of LHD prospects we need to find ice time for, even 3 years down the road

Marino is a RHD but your point still stands. He's a guy who could be a decent prospect down the road with the right development.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
So according to Darnell Nurse today, he's up to 218 pounds and feels stronger and faster than he's ever been.

With that combination of size, skating ability and his hyper-competitive nature, I'm betting that he's going to make things very interesting at camp.

I know the reasonable, long term view would be to send him to the AHL for at least part of the year...but at the same time the Oilers probably feel an obligation to their fans to ice the best team they possibly can to start the season. If Nurse comes into camp and is CLEARLY better than veterans like Nikitin and Ference, can they afford to keep that superior asset off the opening night roster?

Personally I'm fine if he makes the team out of camp, but he has to be one of the top 4-5 guys in camp to justify it.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
So according to Darnell Nurse today, he's up to 218 pounds and feels stronger and faster than he's ever been.

With that combination of size, skating ability and his hyper-competitive nature, I'm betting that he's going to make things very interesting at camp.

I know the reasonable, long term view would be to send him to the AHL for at least part of the year...but at the same time the Oilers probably feel an obligation to their fans to ice the best team they possibly can to start the season. If Nurse comes into camp and is CLEARLY better than veterans like Nikitin and Ference, can they afford to keep that superior asset off the opening night roster?

Personally I'm fine if he makes the team out of camp, but he has to be one of the top 4-5 guys in camp to justify it.

I fully expect him to force his way onto the team. If Reinhart and Nurse badly outplay Ference and Nikitin is there a reason that we shouldn't waive Nikitin and keep Ference as the #7D?

Klefbom-Sekera
Nurse-Schultz
Reinhart-Gryba
Ference

JoeCool16

Sep 9, 2011
Vancouver
I fully expect him to force his way onto the team. If Reinhart and Nurse badly outplay Ference and Nikitin is there a reason that we shouldn't waive Nikitin and keep Ference as the #7D?

Klefbom-Sekera
Nurse-Schultz
Reinhart-Gryba
Ference

Yes, if you mean outplay at training camp/exhibition games. If they badly outplay vets getting up to speed while going against exhibition competition it isn't anything more than a good sign of things to come. They could easily fall flat once the regular season gets going and then you have the drama of having sat your captain for the first eight games or so.

I think we're stuck with Ference being in the lineup as long as he's on the team... it's just a strange, strange dynamic to have your captain there but not in the lineup. Ideally we find a way to cut him loose and worst-case scenario waive him, but having him around the team but unable to play his way into the lineup seems like trouble.

Now when it comes to Nikitin, he's not a sure thing at all (remember, Fayne's on the team too!), so you've got Nurse, Gryba, Nikitin and Reinhart all playing for one spot. Really makes me wish that Ference's contract ended at the end of this year :(

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Yes, if you mean outplay at training camp/exhibition games. If they badly outplay vets getting up to speed while going against exhibition competition it isn't anything more than a good sign of things to come. They could easily fall flat once the regular season gets going and then you have the drama of having sat your captain for the first eight games or so.

I think we're stuck with Ference being in the lineup as long as he's on the team... it's just a strange, strange dynamic to have your captain there but not in the lineup. Ideally we find a way to cut him loose and worst-case scenario waive him, but having him around the team but unable to play his way into the lineup seems like trouble.

Now when it comes to Nikitin, he's not a sure thing at all (remember, Fayne's on the team too!), so you've got Nurse, Gryba, Nikitin and Reinhart all playing for one spot. Really makes me wish that Ference's contract ended at the end of this year :(

That's a loser mentality that this org needs to shake. If the captain isn't capable of playing anymore then he needs to sit. Earn your keep or sit on the bench. He is not a Chia guy (Chia let him walk) and McLellan didn't name him captain so there really are less ties than if MacT and Eakins were calling the shots.

JoeCool16

Sep 9, 2011
Vancouver
That's a loser mentality that this org needs to shake. If the captain isn't capable of playing anymore then he needs to sit. Earn your keep or sit on the bench. He is not a Chia guy (Chia let him walk) and McLellan didn't name him captain so there really are less ties than if MacT and Eakins were calling the shots.
Then waive him. I'm all for his spot being taken by a guy like Nurse who looks pretty ready or any of our other D prospects that can step in, but Ference is in terrific shape for his age and just isn't very good. Sitting him isn't going to motivate him to play harder.

Having the captain on the bench is a weird dynamic, is all I'm saying. He'd still be at the practices etc and that'd create all kinds of distraction. If he's not going to be in the lineup then he shouldn't be on the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad