Prospect Info: 2014-2015 Prospect Stats and Discussion Pt. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Klimando Kostani

Sep 17, 2013
Victoria
Then waive him. I'm all for his spot being taken by a guy like Nurse who looks pretty ready or any of our other D prospects that can step in, but Ference is in terrific shape for his age and just isn't very good. Sitting him isn't going to motivate him to play harder.

Having the captain on the bench is a weird dynamic, is all I'm saying. He'd still be at the practices etc and that'd create all kinds of distraction. If he's not going to be in the lineup then he shouldn't be on the team.

He can't be waived, can't be traded, and isn't one of our 6 best D most nights, it's already a weird dynamic.

JoeCool16

Sep 9, 2011
Vancouver
He can't be waived, can't be traded, and isn't one of our 6 best D most nights, it's already a weird dynamic.

Oh, I didn't know he had a full NMC :( Yep. Really bad situation. Next year might be worth a buyout, just to get him outta here so his spot can be freed up... right now I think of our D prospects only Nurse is fully ready. The following year Reinhart and who knows who else could be ready to knock on the door. Ference needs to be gone.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Oh, I didn't know he had a full NMC :( Yep. Really bad situation. Next year might be worth a buyout, just to get him outta here so his spot can be freed up... right now I think of our D prospects only Nurse is fully ready. The following year Reinhart and who knows who else could be ready to knock on the door. Ference needs to be gone.

Yeah, not much that can be done with Ference now. It'll be a damn shame if Nurse doesn't make the team due to a no-trade clause.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
There's worse things than having Ference as the #7D on the team... in fact that's the type of player you want in that #7D slot... a veteran where you know exactly what your getting when he's put into the lineup. He has some level of grit in his game and is always going to be in decent shape so as a spare dman he's pretty much perfect (except for being somewhat overpaid).

If the captaincy factor is an issue... simply make the captaincy shared between Ference/Sekera/Hall/Hendricks/Letestu etc.

I really don't think there's 1 guy you can point to that is the consummate leader on the team... so the captaincy doesn't necessarily need to be pinned on one guy either.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
The best thing about goalies is that they are voodoo. Id love to see a list from back in the day that ranked Lundqvuist, Kipper, Thomas, Renne etc and also highly drafted guys like Kidd. Brossoit is putting up strong numbers in AHL, so if he repeats that or jumps to .920 or .925 in AHL, expect him to jump to top 10

Klimando Kostani

Sep 17, 2013
Victoria
There's worse things than having Ference as the #7D on the team... in fact that's the type of player you want in that #7D slot... a veteran where you know exactly what your getting when he's put into the lineup. He has some level of grit in his game and is always going to be in decent shape so as a spare dman he's pretty much perfect (except for being somewhat overpaid).

Great point. Ferrence often seems slow and tired, we might actually get more out of him if he sees less action

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Just looked at Moroz' twitter and it looks like he's been taking some power skating lessons and that he feels like he's seeing progress. It'd be HUGE for us if he could have a similar boost in speed like Kessy did in his sophomore pro season.

JoeCool16

Sep 9, 2011
Vancouver
Just looked at Moroz' twitter and it looks like he's been taking some power skating lessons and that he feels like he's seeing progress. It'd be HUGE for us if he could have a similar boost in speed like Kessy did in his sophomore pro season.

I agree that skating is big, but is there really a player underneath that terrible skater, waiting to be unleashed? I'd like to think that our scouts saw something in him when they drafted him so early, but for a guy who only flirted with PPG in his last year of junior and doesn't seem to put up much besides penalty minutes, I think he'll need to do more than just power skating. I think they'll need to build him from the ground up, if he's going to be ever anything more than a 4th line facepuncher who spends most of his NHL career in the press box, waiting for a tough team to roll into town.

I honestly haven't followed Kessy at all though, and only saw highlights+one game of the Barons last year. Do you think Kessy's going to turn into a contributor for the Oilers, or just be a decent AHLer? Do you think a faster Moroz will have NHL potential?

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I agree that skating is big, but is there really a player underneath that terrible skater, waiting to be unleashed? I'd like to think that our scouts saw something in him when they drafted him so early, but for a guy who only flirted with PPG in his last year of junior and doesn't seem to put up much besides penalty minutes, I think he'll need to do more than just power skating. I think they'll need to build him from the ground up, if he's going to be ever anything more than a 4th line facepuncher who spends most of his NHL career in the press box, waiting for a tough team to roll into town.

I honestly haven't followed Kessy at all though, and only saw highlights+one game of the Barons last year. Do you think Kessy's going to turn into a contributor for the Oilers, or just be a decent AHLer? Do you think a faster Moroz will have NHL potential?

Moroz actually has some decent hands around the net. If Kessy's injury didn't set him back too much I could see him as a 4th liner here in the next year or two. I definitely think that a faster Moroz has NHL potential.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I think messy has more potential. Before his injury he was really coming into his own in the ahl, and was a top forward in okc. Next year well see some separation. Messy might be a solid call up option and then into an OK 4th liner

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia

Kessy's got the chance to be a guy like Jordan Nolan (who had a very similar development). He's big, mobile, physical, gets under people's skin, and has some offense. I remember when he came to Vancouver, the talk was about how we were getting a physical veteran. Nobody really thought he'd be a guy who would score 32 goals that year. And he's fought 13 times in 71 AHL games (and 63 times in his career), so he's certainly not a guy who's scared to drop the gloves

Rafters

Aug 10, 2003
Medicine Hat
Visit site
Kessy's got the chance to be a guy like Jordan Nolan (who had a very similar development). He's big, mobile, physical, gets under people's skin, and has some offense. I remember when he came to Vancouver, the talk was about how we were getting a physical veteran. Nobody really thought he'd be a guy who would score 32 goals that year. And he's fought 13 times in 71 AHL games (and 63 times in his career), so he's certainly not a guy who's scared to drop the gloves

Gonna need some cheap players that can contribute on the bottom 6 in the near future...Kessy and Moroz have a chance, but also Platzer,Yak2,Slep..etc

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Gonna need some cheap players that can contribute on the bottom 6 in the near future...Kessy and Moroz have a chance, but also Platzer,Yak2,Slep..etc

I would love it if Yakimov and Moroz could play in a 3rd line capacity. Moroz brings the grit and toughness while Yakimov brings great size and solid skill.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
Glassbangers (or anyone), want the responsibility of the 2015-2016 thread?

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
For those of you who are down on Reinhart, or just want to have a better idea of what we're getting I'd recommend you watch this game or even just skip through to parts where he's on the ice. This is the Reinhart you should expect to get consistently in the future once he gets more comfortable at the NHL level. This was probably his best game in the NHL and he showed his usual calmness, great positioning and defensive awareness, a good first pass, and even a little physicality. Also for those worried about his skating its obviously not elite, but you'll see its not bad like a lot of Islander fans make it out to be. I think he's really going to be a calming presence in our top 4 for many years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad