Prospect Info: 2014-2015 Prospect Stats and Discussion Pt. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Klimando Kostani

Sep 17, 2013
Victoria
For those of you who are down on Reinhart, or just want to have a better idea of what we're getting I'd recommend you watch this game or even just skip through to parts where he's on the ice. This is the Reinhart you should expect to get consistently in the future once he gets more comfortable at the NHL level. This was probably his best game in the NHL and he showed his usual calmness, great positioning and defensive awareness, a good first pass, and even a little physicality. Also for those worried about his skating its obviously not elite, but you'll see its not bad like a lot of Islander fans make it out to be. I think he's really going to be a calming presence in our top 4 for many years.

The first period he played limited minutes but he looked very positionally sound and finished all his checks. Made a home in front of Halak when the puck was in deep. Definitely a player there.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
For those of you who are down on Reinhart, or just want to have a better idea of what we're getting I'd recommend you watch this game or even just skip through to parts where he's on the ice. This is the Reinhart you should expect to get consistently in the future once he gets more comfortable at the NHL level. This was probably his best game in the NHL and he showed his usual calmness, great positioning and defensive awareness, a good first pass, and even a little physicality. Also for those worried about his skating its obviously not elite, but you'll see its not bad like a lot of Islander fans make it out to be. I think he's really going to be a calming presence in our top 4 for many years.

Thanks for this. He looked pretty good but played some very limited minutes. I was surprised by his physicality. You can kinda see how hesitant he plays but then again it was only his 7th NHL game. I don't ever expect him to be an impact defenseman but I think after having gotten comfortable in the NHL (~200 GP) he is going to be able to log some heavy top4 minutes as a stay-at-home d-man. That's going to be pretty valuable down the road, not sure how much it will help us the coming year or two though.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
According to the WHL website Caleb Jones has grown an inch and now stands at 6'1, 192lbs. Pretty good NHL size. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up 6'2, 200+. Going to be real interesting seeing him in Portland this year. He's going to get some big minutes.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
According to the WHL website Caleb Jones has grown an inch and now stands at 6'1, 192lbs. Pretty good NHL size. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up 6'2, 200+. Going to be real interesting seeing him in Portland this year. He's going to get some big minutes.

Nice, he has nhl size, we'll see aboot the rest in coming years.

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Ethan Bear had a goal and an assist, both on the PP, in Seattle's pre-season game today.

We should be able to get a nice look at him in Penticton next weekend.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Kind of like how Brent wanted to prove that he wasn't just Wayne's brother? :sarcasm: ;)

Touche!

That said I think you would like this kid Bryan. He has bite in his game. One thing I have always been concerned about with Seth is that despite his size he looks very passive to me in his own end. His kid brother is the opposite. He'll let you know he is there.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Touche!

That said I think you would like this kid Bryan. He has bite in his game. One thing I have always been concerned about with Seth is that despite his size he looks very passive to me in his own end. His kid brother is the opposite. He'll let you know he is there.

:laugh:

Bite is never a bad thing! I have yet to see him and with this knowledge I am a lot more excited to see him in Penticton. :yo:

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
:laugh:

Bite is never a bad thing! I have yet to see him and with this knowledge I am a lot more excited to see him in Penticton. :yo:

I could see Jones as our fastest rising prospect. By the end of next season we could be looking at our #1 prospect :popcorn:

Best case scenerio is 68 games 55ish points

Also: Damn Ethan Bear sounds good. Im just reading scouting reports on him and its all about his solid shutdown/ physical game, but yet he managed 38 points in 69 games. That is good for 5th on the whole team, and hes 2 years younger than most If he can get over 50 points thats solid, solid prospect terriority. And he shoots right

Last edited:

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I could see Jones as our fastest rising prospect. By the end of next season we could be looking at our #1 prospect :popcorn:

Also: Damn Ethan Bear sounds good. Im just reading scouting reports on him and its all about his solid shutdown/ physical game, but yet he managed 38 points in 69 games. That is good for 5th on the whole team, and hes 2 years younger than most If he can get over 50 points thats solid, solid prospect terriority. And he shoots right

Bear was another guy who was fun to watch at the development camp. More skill than I expected. But what seem obvious is that when he is on the ice he will be involved in the play.

Given that it seemed that after McDavid the rest of the draft was a bit of a throw away, I was really pleasantly surprised with some of this year's picks. I think the last few drafts may eventually lead to some solid role players in a few years and maybe a surprise or two.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Bear was another guy who was fun to watch at the development camp. More skill than I expected. But what seem obvious is that when he is on the ice he will be involved in the play.

Given that it seemed that after McDavid the rest of the draft was a bit of a throw away, I was really pleasantly surprised with some of this year's picks. I think the last few drafts may eventually lead to some solid role players in a few years and maybe a surprise or two.

I agree, I was away for awhile around the draft so I never really followed these guys till now. But Bear and Jones stick out in a good way. They look like potential steals and actual prospects. I am not to sure on the other guys (Marino looks promising) yet. I dont have much faith in 2014 draft save for LD and Lagesson, but I think 2013 draft is going to be very good. Some potential top 6 and good bottom line guys

I think our best depth prospects are Bear, Lagesson, Jones, Platzer, Chase, Yakimov, Slepyshev

And even guys like Campbell, betker, roy, Nagelvoort can play

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

Thanks. Bear has some highlights on youtube and the guy can shoot the puck, looking forward to seeing how he does this season. We are long overdue for some later picks to pan out in a big way.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Thanks. Bear has some highlights on youtube and the guy can shoot the puck, looking forward to seeing how he does this season. We are long overdue for some later picks to pan out in a big way.

For me the draft always seems like 50% luck and 50% identifying and development. Even if you pick a good looking player and develop him right, they can bust (nature of 18 yos). For instance Tuebert was paraded so hard on draft day

Bob and Pierre lose their minds for him.

Then he was developed properly in LA and here, however he busted. Just bad luck

However we have gotten the raw end of the deal on alot of prospects (Hamilton, Tuebert, Plante) and only really gotten lucky on Eberle and maybe Klefbom (that was a pretty high pick)

We havent really gotten that late rounder that become a top 4 D or top 6 F like other teams have gotten in the past 10 years. For instance: Edler, Burrows, Gio, Brodie, Stralman (but traded), Subban, Gallagher, Benn, Klingberg, etc etc etc. Weve gotten Petry.

Some of it is bad picks (Abney, Kraft) but I truely believe weve gotten some bad luck and are due for some good. Im not going to claim to know which one will turn into a top 4 guy, but I truelly believe well get a stud from one of these depth prospects.

Maybe its Bear that ends up as our future top pairing RD, maybe its Platzer that makes Yak expendable :popcorn: I am not sure, but I got a feeling were due for one. Weve made some good picks and making hte right development choices

(Or maybe the luck for the #1 picks negates all this)

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
For me the draft always seems like 50% luck and 50% identifying and development. Even if you pick a good looking player and develop him right, they can bust (nature of 18 yos). For instance Tuebert was paraded so hard on draft day

Bob and Pierre lose their minds for him.

Then he was developed properly in LA and here, however he busted. Just bad luck

However we have gotten the raw end of the deal on alot of prospects (Hamilton, Tuebert, Plante) and only really gotten lucky on Eberle and maybe Klefbom (that was a pretty high pick)

We havent really gotten that late rounder that become a top 4 D or top 6 F like other teams have gotten in the past 10 years. For instance: Edler, Burrows, Gio, Brodie, Stralman (but traded), Subban, Gallagher, Benn, Klingberg, etc etc etc. Weve gotten Petry.

Some of it is bad picks (Abney, Kraft) but I truely believe weve gotten some bad luck and are due for some good. Im not going to claim to know which one will turn into a top 4 guy, but I truelly believe well get a stud from one of these depth prospects.

Maybe its Bear that ends up as our future top pairing RD, maybe its Platzer that makes Yak expendable :popcorn: I am not sure, but I got a feeling were due for one. Weve made some good picks and making hte right development choices

(Or maybe the luck for the #1 picks negates all this)

You have to love how Karlsson is the afterthought.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Also, Bear actually reminds me of Ference when Ference played for the Calgary Flames back in the day, but with a much better shot. Same type of player on D. Same size and they use(d) the same strengths to their advantage.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Also, Bear actually reminds me of Ference when Ference played for the Calgary Flames back in the day, but with a much better shot. Same type of player on D. Same size and they use(d) the same strengths to their advantage.

Thatd be awesome if thats how he turned out. Ference was a solid #4 or even #3 at peak

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
Glassbangers (or anyone), want the responsibility of the 2015-2016 thread?

Whoa, whoa guys. Calm down, lets not all speak up at once, it's deafening.

In an orderly fashion... anyone???

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Thatd be awesome if thats how he turned out. Ference was a solid #4 or even #3 at peak

Agreed. We'd win big if we got a player like Ference's earlier years.

Seriously though. Watch him play and look at his skating style and the way that he handles players in the corners, no matter their size. It's eerily similar to Calgary/early Boston Ference IMO.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Whoa, whoa guys. Calm down, lets not all speak up at once, it's deafening.

In an orderly fashion... anyone???

Just post hockeydb links on front page for every player. Other people do good enough jobs as a group of updating performance reviews from time to time.

Whats there to upkeep (I might be ignortant to that)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad