Prospect Info: 2014-2015 Prospect Stats and Discussion Pt. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
He's a 7th rounder relax

Doesn't mean you should throw it away. A number of stars have been taken in the 7th round. Most recent one is probably Ondrej Palat. I'm also willing to bet at least 2 players taken after Keven Bouchard in last years draft will play in the NHL.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Doesn't mean you should throw it away. A number of stars have been taken in the 7th round. Most recent one is probably Ondrej Palat. I'm also willing to bet at least 2 players taken after Keven Bouchard in last years draft will play in the NHL.

There are no real prospects in the seventh round. It's all a shot in the dark.

I do wonder why more teams don't just take the undersized scoring forward who normally passes through the draft, though. If anyone does turn out from the seventh round, it's usually that guy.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013

I do wonder why more teams don't just take the undersized scoring forward who normally passes through the draft, though. If anyone does turn out from the seventh round, it's usually that guy.

That's just ignorance. There are real prospects to be had if you just care to dig deep. Problem is most scouting staffs don't. Good players slip through the draft every year for no good reason. NHL level scouting is mostly just an old boys club. Some teams however actually do scout and try and find the gems and get rewarded for it. The fact that a guy like Axel Holmström didn't get picked until the 7th round last year is a testament to that. Alexandre Goulet was passed over last year for no good reason but teams just love their coke machines it seems. Like how does an overage kid with 9 points in 55 games in CHL even get drafted? 6'3, 240lbs is how. It's a joke. Same with Bouchard, awful numbers at every level, how does he even get drafted? I hope the scout that recommended him gets fired immediately.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
That's just ignorance. There are real prospects to be had if you just care to dig deep. Problem is most scouting staffs don't. Good players slip through the draft every year for no good reason. NHL level scouting is mostly just an old boys club. Some teams however actually do scout and try and find the gems and get rewarded for it. The fact that a guy like Axel Holmström didn't get picked until the 7th round last year is a testament to that. Alexandre Goulet was passed over last year for no good reason but teams just love their coke machines it seems. Like how does an overage kid with 9 points in 55 games in CHL even get drafted? 6'3, 240lbs is how. It's a joke. Same with Bouchard, awful numbers at every level, how does he even get drafted? I hope the scout that recommended him gets fired immediately.

You're probably right that Scouts don't dig deep enough, as far as minor leagues and U20 leagues internationally are concerned. Holmstrom shouldn't have been taken in the seventh round. I'm guessing that's a money allocation issue; teams unwilling to spend for scouts to get to those games. There should be a philosophy shift towards the productive, but under-sized or slow footed, since they seem to turn out far more often from that spot.

Still, very, very unlikely to get a player out of the seventh round. There are maybe 2 in each draft (that's generous), and sometimes that guy is 6'5 Paul Gaustad who scored 14 points in 56 WHL games in his draft year.

Last edited:

BleedingOil

Dec 4, 2006
Edmonton

That's not what I was saying at all, I really disliked that pick in particular but I really hope he shows something this year.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
As of right now, the only hole in Oilers forward group is 3LW. I have some trouble seeing them playing him there.

Gonna go with 25-75 unless there is an injury or more forwards moved out this offseaosn than brought in.

misfit

5-14-6-1
Feb 2, 2004
just north of...everything
How do you guys rate the possibility of Draisaitl making the roster?

I think most here would prefer it if he played in the AHL because of a fear of dushing a player and the fact that we are guaranteed to have another rookie C playing the year for us.

I personally think he was ready this year, and looked like he belonged. I don't expect him to be any less ready this coming season just because McDavid is also going to be on the team. History would also suggest it's pretty rare for prospects of his calibre to spend much, if any, time in the AHL.

I could possibly see him starting on the wing instead of center, but I would be surprised if he didn't win a spot in camp.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I'm probably one of the biggest Draisaitl backers on the board here... thought he would have been fine under Nelson for the final half of the season once Eakins was gone... but now that he's gone back to Junior (and excelled)... and McDavid is in the picture... I'd have no problem with him starting in the AHL.

I think he should be the 1st call up on the wing or due to injuries at centre.

Oilers will have RNH-McDavid-Lander-Gordon and it would be nice to let that situation stabilize and see how they play as one of those centres is generational but has zero games and the other is only starting to look like an NHL player.

Leon on the 3rd line as a winger could be a solid option... but it also depends what other roster moves are made this summer obviously.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
As much as I wouldn't mind Drai and Nurse getting time in the AHL, I think both will make the opening day roster. It's just extremely rare for guys picked that high to not play in the NHL after this time. Problem is we have Nikitin and Ference taking up roster spots that could be given to Nurse to learn the ropes. If we'd been a good team we'd give Nurse bottom-pairing minutes next year along with some vet like Fayne. Drai could probably play on the 3rd line with Lander and Purcell on his wings or alternatively play LW with Lander as C.

Tw0Shoes

Mar 15, 2007
As much as I wouldn't mind Drai and Nurse getting time in the AHL, I think both will make the opening day roster. It's just extremely rare for guys picked that high to not play in the NHL after this time. Problem is we have Nikitin and Ference taking up roster spots that could be given to Nurse to learn the ropes. If we'd been a good team we'd give Nurse bottom-pairing minutes next year along with some vet like Fayne. Drai could probably play on the 3rd line with Lander and Purcell on his wings or alternatively play LW with Lander as C.

I hope for everyone's sake they just fill the spots and automatically start them in the AHL. We get 3 years that we can send them down, might as well actually use those 3 years, and have guys ready for an NHL call up instead of prospects who really aren't ready. The NHL is for NHL players, not for development.

Hoodaha

Aug 8, 2014

Yeah, they never find anyone worthwhile in the seventh round. Just ask Henrik Zetterberg, Radim Vrbata, Martin Erat, Henrik Lundqvist, Matthew Lombardi, Paul Gaustad, Johnny Oduya, Joe Pavelski, Troy Brouwer, Sergei Kostitsyn, Anton Stralman, Patric Hornqvist, Anders Lindback, Jordan Nolan, Frederik Andersen and Ondrej Palat. I mean, I wouldn't want these guys on my team.

Fact is that the scouts for many teams don't have the interest, manpower, talent, or funds to dig deep enough to find the good ones in the late rounds. Teams like Detroit excel at it, and it makes a huge difference. Meantime, the Oilers...well, there's a reason that several of their scouts are now unemployed.

Hoodaha

Aug 8, 2014

Rushing kids hasn't worked so far, so I'd sure like to see the Oilers try and put Nurse and Draisaitl in the AHL. If they dominate and force the issue, that's great, but let's have them prove that they're AHL ready before we put them in a bad situation in the NHL. Let's face it, McDavid will be a rookie and there's a good chance that a lot of the holes on the roster will still be there. It's going to be a better year, but it's not going to be a year worth rushing prospects to play in.

My guess is that if they do it right, by mid-season one or both of Draisaitl and Nurse will be up with the big club, but let's get them lots of AHL minutes and experience before that happens. Do the Oilers gain anything from having Draisaitl play on the 3rd or 4th line?

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Yeah, they never find anyone worthwhile in the seventh round. Just ask Henrik Zetterberg, Radim Vrbata, Martin Erat, Henrik Lundqvist, Matthew Lombardi, Paul Gaustad, Johnny Oduya, Joe Pavelski, Troy Brouwer, Sergei Kostitsyn, Anton Stralman, Patric Hornqvist, Anders Lindback, Jordan Nolan, Frederik Andersen and Ondrej Palat. I mean, I wouldn't want these guys on my team

You literally poured over 16 years of drafts to mine every hit from the seventh round. Problem is you didn't list the other 464 players. It's luck more than anything.

And your counting like Jordan Nolan and Anders Lindback as players of note. Yeesh, that's thin.

LockDown21

May 24, 2015
Does anyone have a vid of Drai's highlights (reg season and/or playoffs) in Kelowna? Been looking couldn't find one.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia