Salary Cap: 2014 - 2015 New York Rangers :: Roster Building / Proposal Thread Part XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
Bob McKenzie was on NBCSN’s NHL Live on Wednesday evening.

On Antoine Vermette:

“I think Antoine Vermette is the other one that’s in very high demand right now. Here’s another unrestricted free agent at the end of this year who they are going to trade, it’s just a matter of when.

“Chicago, St. Louis, Montreal, Anaheim, the New York Rangers all amongst teams – contending teams – that would love to get this second line center who is good on faceoffs and can do a little bit of everything.

“Now, normally for a player like that the going rate in previous years for a rental of that stature is usually a second round pick and a pretty good prospect. I think what you’ll see is Don Maloney try to stretch this out as close as he can to the deadline to get more than a second round pick and the prospect because there are so many contending teams that are after Vermette.”

http://www.nicholsonhockey.com/wort...lude-blackhawks-blues-canadiens-ducks-rangers

NYRangerFan*

I agree. Hagelin and Zucc have been here for a few years now, no need to back door them

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I agree. People will argue to keep MSL because of what we gave up to get him, but that's short-sighted thinking. Hags and Zucc will be in this league way longer than MSL will. I'm predicting he has another year, maybe two left in him.

see, i dont think that way...the years he has left isnt as much of a concern for me as much as hes simply not playing as well with and without the puck as those other guys.

hes putting up points...absolutely. but to me it doesnt seem like HE is the reason those points are being put up, but rather his linemates extraordinary play.

Zucc, to me, makes an impact basically every single game, with and without the puck. he's a 3 zone player who wins board battles. Same thing for Hagelin. I'd say Hagelin and MZA might be our 2 best 2- way players.

MSL doesnt win board battles, he's not a speed demon forechecker, he doesn't control the game. right now, he sorta floats around and finds the open seam. an absolutely excellent skill set to have, but I feel like as games get tighter, those seams start to disappear, as do the scoring opportunities they give you..whereas a player capable of keeping a sustained forecheck, who is a terrific defensive player, will help you win more games.

i have absolutely zero data to back that up, its just my personal belief.

I think, to me, it's easier to replace MSL's numbers than it is to replace MZA & Hagelins intangibles, particularly with the group of prospects we have coming up.

I think Duclair could put up some big numbers in a year or 2...but if you ask him to fill that 200 foot gap left by losing MZA or Hagelin, its a lot harder for him to do that.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
i would go hard after vermette. very hard. dudes gonna be in high demand as a pure rental.

offering a decent prospect and a pick seems reasonable. mcilrath might interest them or perhaps another hartford kid. maloney will hope to get a 1st rounder if a bidding war starts.

absolutely no way i include buch, duke or skjei even though maloney will start with those names first.

we have a 3 promising goaltenders however. perhaps one of them might be included.

if we are serious about a deep run, adding vermette and bumping hulking kevin hayes to his wing with hags or jt miller on the other side would be a ridiculous 3rd line.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
i would go hard after vermette. very hard. dudes gonna be in high demand as a pure rental.

offering a decent prospect and a pick seems reasonable. mcilrath might interest them or perhaps another hartford kid. maloney will hope to get a 1st rounder if a bidding war starts.

absolutely no way i include buch, duke or skjei even though maloney will start with those names first.

we have a 3 promising goaltenders however. perhaps one of them might be included.

if we are serious about a deep run, adding vermette and bumping hulking kevin hayes to his wing with hags or jt miller on the other side would be a ridiculous 3rd line.

It's not a charity but if Sather offers the same type of deal as other teams them you'd think he'd help his buddy Glenn

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
It's not a charity but if Sather offers the same type of deal as other teams them you'd think he'd help his buddy Glenn

naw.

maloneys job is to improve his club and maximize the return for a very valuable chip.

he's gonna take the best offer irregardless

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
hes putting up points...absolutely. but to me it doesnt seem like HE is the reason those points are being put up, but rather his linemates extraordinary play.

Kreider has been hot garbage for most of the season, and Stepan was injured for awhile. St. Louis makes guys around him better and always has. I think this is a bit of an unfair characterization, and you're too easily diminishing his points. He's one of if not our best passer.

Zucc, to me, makes an impact basically every single game, with and without the puck. he's a 3 zone player who wins board battles. Same thing for Hagelin. I'd say Hagelin and MZA might be our 2 best 2- way players.

Nash and Stepan are significantly better 2-way players than both Hagelin and Zuccarello. I love Zucc - he's one of my favorites. I think his impact on the game is a bit overvalued by some people because of that.

MSL doesnt win board battles, he's not a speed demon forechecker, he doesn't control the game. right now, he sorta floats around and finds the open seam. an absolutely excellent skill set to have, but I feel like as games get tighter, those seams start to disappear, as do the scoring opportunities they give you..whereas a player capable of keeping a sustained forecheck, who is a terrific defensive player, will help you win more games.

Wow. St. Louis is just that to you? A floater who finds open seams?

i have absolutely zero data to back that up, its just my personal belief.

Ohhhhh. Okay then.

I think, to me, it's easier to replace MSL's numbers than it is to replace MZA & Hagelins intangibles, particularly with the group of prospects we have coming up.

All 3 will be difficult to replace in their own way. They all contribute to the team in different ways.

frozenrubber

Sponsor
Nov 27, 2005
Brooklyn
Kreider has been hot garbage for most of the season, and Stepan was injured for awhile. St. Louis makes guys around him better and always has. I think this is a bit of an unfair characterization, and you're too easily diminishing his points. He's one of if not our best passer.

Nash and Stepan are significantly better 2-way players than both Hagelin and Zuccarello. I love Zucc - he's one of my favorites. I think his impact on the game is a bit overvalued by some people because of that.

Wow. St. Louis is just that to you? A floater who finds open seams?

Ohhhhh. Okay then.

All 3 will be difficult to replace in their own way. They all contribute to the team in different ways.

He isn't saying MSL is a worthless player. No one challenges how unbelievably talented MSL is. Martin St Louis's main skills are his guile and finishing.

However, some of the worst NYR shifts of the entire season have involved MSL's line being pinned in the defensive zone. When a team cycles in the Rangers defensive zone w/ MSL on the ice, I simply cringe.

MSL will make some amazing passes and steal the puck w/ straight up hockey sense/awareness, but we've seen Zuccarello retrieve pucks and possession, many times, in plays he has no business in statistically in even trying.

Every single interview w/ opposing coaches, they stress "how fast" the Rangers are as a team. Hagelin's production is almost moot, as it stretches how teams line up and account for this team. Quick defensive zone exits and moving the puck down ice w/ possesion at break-neck speed has given opposing teams absolute fits.

I agree w/ Inferno that replacing (even though last resort for all of us) a finisher (MSL) may be an easier task than replacing players that excel at 'Ranger's/AV Hockey' -- especially considering a pipeline w/ Duclair/Buch.

Last edited:

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I personally think unless slats can find a taker for glass we may be forced to give up even 2 out of 62 26 and 36 just don't see where the money comes from. Stepan big raise coming staal got a raise miller and fast getting raises talbot raise moore and Hunwick free agents cap barely going up at all it sounds like.

Will need to bring Duke in to take one of those spots.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010

I wouldn't say Kreider has been "hot garbage" at all, he's mainly had trouble finishing. He's still effective even when he isn't scoring, although it'd be nice to see him engage more on a consistent basis. To me, as long as he does what he does in the playoffs I'm okay with the underwhelming regular seasons.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
When you get right down to it, Santorelli, McClement, Richardson, Winnik et. al. are just a bunch of guys. I don't see where they improve much on what's already here. None of them are worth more than a 4th or 5th.

Sather has always been pretty conservative with his assets but this may be the year he goes all in. Vermette is still the gold standard if he is doable. If not, I think Drew Stafford could also factor in here. Even though he usually plays on the right side, he takes a lot of faceoffs and does quite well. A right handed shot (always useful), some size (that would be nice) and longtime Edmonton connections to Sather et. al. I could see him slotting in next to Hayes and taking the majority of faceoffs. Think he would be energized coming to New York?

Draft Guru

Feb 27, 2002
Long Island
Vermette would be the perfect fit for this team. I'm hoping because of the NYR/PHX connections that we can land him, for a reasonable price of course.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
When you get right down to it, Santorelli, McClement, Richardson, Winnik et. al. are just a bunch of guys. I don't see where they improve much on what's already here. None of them are worth more than a 4th or 5th.

Sather has always been pretty conservative with his assets but this may be the year he goes all in. Vermette is still the gold standard if he is doable. If not, I think Drew Stafford could also factor in here. Even though he usually plays on the right side, he takes a lot of faceoffs and does quite well. A right handed shot (always useful), some size (that would be nice) and longtime Edmonton connections to Sather et. al. I could see him slotting in next to Hayes and taking the majority of faceoffs. Think he would be energized coming to New York?

mentioned this a few days (weeks maybe) ago that Stafford was my dark horse acquisition.

I'd even shift him to LW to exploit the better angle of his R handed shot.

Stafford - Hayes - Miller would be a lot to handle for alot of teams.

Hagelin - Moore - Fast on the 4th line would give the Rangers depth almost un matched in the NHL

Roll all four evenly at ES, give the top 6 the PP run and we are golden.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I like Stafford, too.

If we lose out on a 3C option, giving Hayes a veteran to work with would do a similar trick in making that line a little stronger going into April.

AIexisLafreniereNYR

Registered Drug User
Jan 25, 2009
New York City
What're we going to do with Hayes and JT if we would aquire Vermette? There're both playing solid. We have a boat load of top 9 players which is a good problem to have but where could everyone fit? Unless we trade Hagelin, pick and a prospect?

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Simple fix really...

Vermette on third line, Fast drops to 4th line, Stempniak comes out unless Hayes' really struggles in the second half.

The issue I have with Stafford is that he doesn't really give the team that extra insurance in case Hayes just can't break through the inevitable wall he will hit eventually. If it gets to the point that he absolutely needs to come out of the line up then who takes his spot?

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
IF we do not want to lose major assets then these 2 strictly rental scenarios make sense (trading for picks and prospects at the deadline):

C Santorelli from TML (caphit 1.500 M)
D Methot from Ottawa (caphit 3,000 M)

Or

C Brodziak from Minnesota (caphit 2,833 M)
D Sekera from Carolina (caphit 2,750)

Both of these deal scenarios are only possible at the deadline if we relieved ourselves of Tanner Glass (Dallas?). The sooner the better out of a cap perspective. What a shame.
If we go the Vermette route - which May be a better one, it will cost more. Raising the ante even more will also cost accordingly.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
What're we going to do with Hayes and JT if we would aquire Vermette? There're both playing solid. We have a boat load of top 9 players which is a good problem to have but where could everyone fit? Unless we trade Hagelin, pick and a prospect?

i mentioned that in a prior post.

vermette would purely be a rental.

a player and a pick probably gets him. maloney will begin the auction and drive the price up for the contenders who want him. he's a valuable versatile player who would make any good team better.

not many teams have the cap space to absorb his next deal thought. something like 5/5.5 is what I'm thinking. pretty tough for a 33 yr old player. we could not do that not would i want to block kevin hayes.

having said that, for the right player and pick, i absolutely acquire him for a cup run. he would make us a dangerous 4 line team.

then after the parade, let him lower is asking price (not likely) or sign with someone who has toms of space and is looking for a vet 2/3 c guy. not us.

Waivers

Sep 27, 2013
NY
Oscar Lindberg is supposed to be great at faceoffs... Why can't we try to use him? He's also defensive minded like Fast, I dunno what his point production would be though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00