Salary Cap: 2014 - 2015 New York Rangers :: Roster Building / Proposal Thread Part XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Maybe they can stretch a late first out of someone, but the Rangers have two seconds to move and really, they should both be in play provided that the player coming back is a legitimate upgrade.
Not when you do not have a 1st line pick. Picks are currency in the salary cap land. You do not want to be a pauper.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I actually wouldn't welcome him on the third line because he would get left in the dust by Hags and Fast.
I understand the thinking, but Fast is not a 3rd line player. And Hagelin can skate with the best of them, but is not an offensive dynamo. Nor does he have to be.

Ex Officer Friendly

Got Nothin To Say
Apr 27, 2012
New York, NY
How much of a black hole is he looking like now? And how is Moore's production level?

Moore has one less point then Boyle actually... and in 4 less games.

Also looking at the career...

Boyle has 113 points in 439 games. which is about .26 PPG.

Moore has 215 points in 647 games, which is about .33 PPG

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Moore has one less point then Boyle actually... and in 4 less games.
That is fine. That does not make Moore more of a 3rd line center than Boyle. And I would take Boyle's size and draw ability as the tipping point on which one would help the team more. But that is just my view.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
That is fine. That does not make Moore more of a 3rd line center than Boyle. And I would take Boyle's size and draw ability as the tipping point on which one would help the team more. But that is just my view.

Boyle is a 52% FO guy and Moore is 56%......

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
How much of a black hole is he looking like now? And how is Moore's production level?

Brian Boyle has one more point in 4 more games than Dominic Moore, and is on the highest-scoring team in the league.

Dominic Moore is our 4th line center.

I don't know how that supports your statement that Brian Boyle is a 3rd line center... :laugh:

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I'd actually be disappointed if the front office didn't get involved with bidding on Vermette. Just because they're in it doesn't mean that they don't have the option to fold their hand and focus on other cheaper options (which is where Santorelli would come in to play.)

I'd be happy with Santorelli and one of Methot/Sekera.

Not when you do not have a 1st line pick. Picks are currency in the salary cap land. You do not want to be a pauper.

Second round picks are basically quick pick lottery tickets, not exactly currency which is what the Rangers have to offer at the moment.

The team's core is pretty much in tact and should continue to be strong for the foreseeable future. Holding on to picks because they "might" turn into a piece that can help us one day makes no sense for a contending team when they can be moved for a piece that can help us right now. They have young, near NHL ready bodies that can and will be mixed into the lineup over the next few years, no one should be too worried about that.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
No. No he is not. At all.

Santorelli on the other hand...

He should be option D/F/E at the deadlining depending on what exta names surface based on what teams are out

Santorelli is actually better at even strength the past 2 seasons than Vermette.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
No. No he is not. At all.

Santorelli on the other hand...

He should be option D/F/E at the deadlining depending on what exta names surface based on what teams are out

Santorelli is a better possession player, and better even strength player than Vermette. And his GA/60 is actually pretty consistently better than Vermette.

Vermette is being incredibly overrated and Santorelli very underrated.

If Vermette wasn't one of the best FO men in the league, I guarantee there'd be a lot less demand for him.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Santorelli is a better possession player, and better even strength player than Vermette. And his GA/60 is actually pretty consistently better than Vermette.

Vermette is being incredibly overrated and Santorelli very underrated.

If Vermette wasn't one of the best FO men in the league, I guarantee there'd be a lot less demand for him.

Santorelli is cheaper and with the leafs absolutely crashing to earth now is the time to get him

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Vermette is a very solid player, and he just happens to be good at that the thing we need the most, he would be a BIG help to a cup run.

His faceoffs aren't nearly good enough a reason to shell out assets IMO.

Especially when Santorelli will cost a lot less and is better at most other things.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Santorelli is actually better at even strength the past 2 seasons than Vermette.

That is not the only stat out there.

Vermette has been a 40-45 point player throughout his career and has more experience.

Santorelli has been a 20-25 point player throughout his career.

I prefer the veteran forward. A player who is also familiar with faces like Nash and Brassard from his Columbus days.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI

Vermette has been a 40-45 point player throughout his career and has more experience.

I prefer the veteran forward. A player who is also familiar with faces like Nash and Brassard from his Columbus days.

The last 2 seasons Santorelli has scored at a 45 pt clip/82 gms. Calling him a 20-25 point player is a bit disingenuous.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI

His faceoffs aren't nearly good enough a reason to shell out assets IMO.

Especially when Santorelli will cost a lot less and is better at most other things.

A million times this.

NYRangerFan*

I'm not moving Miller for Vermette, the guy is a rental and i consider Miller a blue chip prospect on this team since we din't have that many prospects. I would try to grab Santorelli for a pick or two but i'm not getting into a bidding war for Vermette.

Unrealistic but if you're really desperate, try to get LA to pay half of Mike Richards salary and then try to move him at the deadline to a young team in need of a veteran center because i don't want that contract. Again, unrealistic but just a thought because i'm not moving any of our top prospects for rentals even tho i do want a cup by any means.

Finally, try to get a signed winger/center for an expiring contract and a few picks, like we did with St Louis. Is ROR available? Trade Hagelin, low prospects and a pick or two and we upgrade on the wing with a guy who can play center.

Kreider-Stepan-St Louis
Nash-Brassard-Zuccarello
Miller-ROR-Hayes
Stempniak-Moore-Fast

Might have forgot someone

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I don't want to hear / read any trades involving Miller, Fast, Duclair or Buchnevich (add Hayes and probably Lindberg). And the reason is not that I overvalue these prospects (though I'm high on all of them). The reason is the next year's salary cap. Read the summary from Rangersboy a couple of pages back. The team will have $13 - $14 m for 9 players. Assign hypothetical (extremely low) $4 m to give to Zuke or Hags and the organization is left with barely $1m per for remaining players in a good case scenario. Even trading picks for a rental is a bad idea as we already essentially carrying a rental until the season end in Hags or Zuke.

Edit: Just wanted to add that potential consequence if these prospects are not available could be UFA scrubs making the same salary or loss of someone like Klein (see Hawks and Bruins)

Radek27

May 19, 2004
NJ
Calling Vermette a "selke caliber forward" is some terrible overrating of him.

He has the worst GA/60 of any Coyotes forward over 300 minutes played, despite getting the 4th most offensive zone starts on his team.

Can't be worse than calling Miller one of our best players. :naughty:

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
I'd throw up if Boyle was our 3C. BB, Hanzal and Vermette are getting love that I just don't understand.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
I'd throw up if Boyle was our 3C. BB, Hanzal and Vermette are getting love that I just don't understand.

Hanzal and Vermette are both very good two way centers and would definitely make the forward lineup more settled defensively AND better offensively. Also, in Hanzal's case we'd be adding size/nastiness down the middle, which would be nice, but it'd be tough to find a way to fit him in with a contract that doesn't expire. Boyle is getting massively overrated by one guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad