Salary Cap: 2014 - 2015 New York Rangers :: Roster Building / Proposal Thread Part XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
If Santorelli can win draws and be a defensive option with the lead, then explore the option, but I think the Rangers need to address that hole with a natural center.

I look at Santorelli as a plus version of Stempniak. If he is reliable as a guy that can protect leads and win faceoffs, it's a no brainer.

If the Rangers are going to overpay Carolina, I'd look at Riley Nash.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
Could Rangers get both Rielly and a 3c?

Rangers could give Moore & a prospect (one of Duclair, Skjei, Buchnevich) to Toronto for Rielly. The Cap hits pretty much cancel out between Moore & Rielly.

After that, 3c should fit in w/ the move we were preparing for anyway.

Just a possibility. Not saying I want to give up one of those prospects for Rielly... but Rielly might fit in better than Hunwick and/or Moore.

Toronto isn't gonna trade Rielly for that

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Pierre LeBrun reported the Rangers were looking to add depth to their bottom six last week in a radio interview. He reported the same thing yesterday on ESPN.com. Brooks has written on many occasions about the Rangers having limited flexibility at the deadline. He would know better than anyone. Hayes has performance bonuses in his contact. Does he have a reachable bonus which the Rangers are budgeting into the current cap instead of rolling into next season?

Kanneda

Aug 10, 2014
Madrid
I like Santorelli and love that, apart of the qualities we are looking for, he has good offensive upside. But I hope that the management explore other options and compare them. Like Riley Nash, as you said some time ago. He has a crazy cap hit (575K!), is younger, natural C, has even played in the 1st line of an NHL team, has good numbers this season (7G 12A) and the last one and is good in the circle (51.6%). He might be a better fit than Santo, but his value is a complete mistery for me.
Some other options I'd explore:

Trevor Lewis: personal preference, especially for his cup experience and the passion and hard work he brings. He doesn't bring a lot of points though, and given the Kings situation he won't be cheap. He has this year and another one in his contract at 1.5M of AAV. Fits perfectly in what we are looking for, a 3rd line winger that can switch to center whenever it is needed.

Brad Richardson: UFA, grit, decent secondary scoring, and I'm almost sure that he would be cheaper than Santorelli. I have never known him for his FO ability, but he might work.

Max Talbot: playoff clutch, veteran locker room guy, Colorado would trade him with any doubts, he's older, so could be have for a...4th rounder?

Also I would try to keep that pair of 2015 2nd rounder, this draft is really deep.

Last edited:

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
I'd rather Santorelli to Richardson or Talbot, and Lewis is probably not getting traded. Probably the most underrated 4th liner in the league.

BarbaraAlphanse

Pierre LeBrun reported the Rangers were looking to add depth to their bottom six last week in a radio interview. He reported the same thing yesterday on ESPN.com. Brooks has written on many occasions about the Rangers having limited flexibility at the deadline. He would know better than anyone. Hayes has performance bonuses in his contact. Does he have a reachable bonus which the Rangers are budgeting into the current cap instead of rolling into next season?

What type of budget do you think they're realistically working with?

NYRangerFan*

If Santorelli can help us win a cup then get him here. I'm starving for a stanley cup in NYC. I'm dying to take off from work to go to the parade and whoever can help us, get them. Santorelli and Winnik would be nice

Kreider-Stepan-MSL
Nash-Brassard-Zuccarello
Hagelin-Santorelli-Hayes
Winnik-Moore-Miller/Fast/Stempniak

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Trevor Lewis is another intriguing offer, but who knows what LA is going to do anytime soon

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
You guys would rather trade picks for a guy like Santorelli than trade picks and players for possibly someone better? I mean if we could involve Hagelin and Moore in a deal for a good centerman or a solid 6th defender, you wouldn't jump at the thought? We have a ton of wing depth and it would get us out of the FA quagmire with Moore and Hagelin, two players I don't see our keeping long term.

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
You guys would rather trade picks for a guy like Santorelli than trade picks and players for possibly someone better? I mean if we could involve Hagelin and Moore in a deal for a good centerman or a solid 6th defender, you wouldn't jump at the thought? We have a ton of wing depth and it would get us out of the FA quagmire with Moore and Hagelin, two players I don't see our keeping long term.

Moore I don't care about, but I'd really rather keep Hagelin for the playoffs. Then trade him in the offseason if we have no space.

I don't blame people not yearning for an impact player when we have very little need (and assets) for one.

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
Moore I don't care about, but I'd really rather keep Hagelin for the playoffs. Then trade him in the offseason if we have no space.

I don't blame people not yearning for an impact player when we have very little need (and assets) for one.

I just feel like Hagelin is totally replaceable, and what he brings isn't much, or at least isn't much that someone else can't do. His cap hit is $2.25, which, while isn't a lot, is a pretty significant number and can be the difference between being able to sign someone and having to turn away, or being able to sign everyone we want to the deals we want Thankfully he's a RFA, so that option of trading his rights in the offseason is there, but I feel like a 3C is our only true need, and a 6th true defender would be great. When your 5th/6th best defender is Boyle or Klein, you have a damn good D corps, and then keep Hunwick as a replacement, because I do think he's been a solid 6th Dman.

The good news is so many of our guys are young, so most of this is RFA stuff, so we don't have to worry about other teams snatching our guys. Overall, we have a really young team, and will continue to get younger when MSL and Boyle retire and Skjei and Duke/Buch take their places. I really like the outlook of our team right now, but I'm not sure we have enough right now to win the cup.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012

because they are RFA's, they hold just as much value now as they will in June... So it makes no sense to gut the team, who has won 18 of the last 23 games played, for a possible "upgrade"

The good news is so many of our guys are young, so most of this is RFA stuff, so we don't have to worry about other teams snatching our guys. Overall, we have a really young team, and will continue to get younger when MSL and Boyle retire and Skjei and Duke/Buch take their places. I really like the outlook of our team right now, but I'm not sure we have enough right now to win the cup.

So what do you think we need to win another cup? 18 out of 23 hasn't shown you enough? What's our worst aspect of our game? Faceoffs? I mean, we can't be good at EVERYTHING

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
I just feel like Hagelin is totally replaceable, and what he brings isn't much, or at least isn't much that someone else can't do. His cap hit is $2.25, which, while isn't a lot, is a pretty significant number and can be the difference between being able to sign someone and having to turn away, or being able to sign everyone we want to the deals we want Thankfully he's a RFA, so that option of trading his rights in the offseason is there, but I feel like a 3C is our only true need, and a 6th true defender would be great. When your 5th/6th best defender is Boyle or Klein, you have a damn good D corps, and then keep Hunwick as a replacement, because I do think he's been a solid 6th Dman.

I don't know, I think Hagelin gets a little overrated sometimes but calling him totally replaceable is taking it too far IMO.

I like how Hunwick has played lately, but I can't say I'm confident with him in a playoff game. He roves way too much and when the games get tighter it will burn him. And John Moore is just an idiot. I definitely would like a 6D upgrade.

I'm beginning to lean towards 3C being a need too, but not a Vermette type 3C. Like I said, a Santorelli type 3C, or Jarret Stoll.

I'm not sure what you mean by "I'm not sure we have enough to win the cup".

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
So what do you think we need to win another cup? 18 out of 23 hasn't shown you enough? What's our worst aspect of our game? Faceoffs? I mean, we can't be good at EVERYTHING

The only teams I can think of that fit the bill of being good at EVERYTHING in the cap era are the 2008 Red Wings, 2011 Canucks, and the 2014 Bruins. And only one of those teams won the cup.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I want no part of Winnik. Completely uninterested. Ive watched the Leafs quite a few times this year (dont ask me why) and winnik is nothing to write home about. Santorelli is so-so. We should only be considering Santorelli if we lose out on Vermette-Hanzal-Stoll (if available).

Also i swear i will lose my mind if we trade one of Buch/Duclair/Skjei for a bottom 6 player. That would be by far one of the worst moves this organization could make over the past decade plus. Get your heads straight people.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I want no part of Winnik. Completely uninterested. Ive watched the Leafs quite a few times this year (dont ask me why) and winnik is nothing to write home about. Santorelli is so-so. We should only be considering Santorelli if we lose out on Vermette-Hanzal-Stoll (if available).

Also i swear i will lose my mind if we trade one of Buch/Duclair/Skjei for a bottom 6 player. That would be by far one of the worst moves this organization could make over the past decade plus. Get your heads straight people.

Where is this coming from? I can't see Sather making a move like that.

NYRangerFan*

Um, who should get their heads straight? Who proposed trading one of those guys for a bottom 6 players? Nobody

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
if I had to guess.. we sign Stepan long term, sign MSL for another year, keep our RFAs (Hags, Miller, fast), and Duclair takes Zucc's spot.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Hagelin was integral to our SCF run, zero interest in trading him; In fact, I don't have much interest in any major moves at the moment. His production is more than adequate for his role on the team. Not untouchable obviously, but his speed and work ethic is a huge part of this team's identity, IMO.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Hagelin was integral to our SCF run, zero interest in trading him; In fact, I don't have much interest in any major moves at the moment.

I agree with this, I dont think we should really move anyone on our roster for an upgrade, now if we want to move picks/prospects (not Duclair!) for someone who might put us over the top or help us on a cup run, fine. but I'm not interested in really doing much, I like the team we have alot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad