Speculation: 2014 - 2015 New York Rangers :: Roster Building Part XX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guyute

Sponsor
Feb 17, 2013
I actually have about 1,000 times. But it all comes back to the cult of Corsi...you guys probably are big QE guys too.

I will say it again emphatically: get a life. That is all.

QE haha what a farce!! i agree with you 100% on this matter. Paul Krugman would be the biggest Corsi guy of all time if he were a hockey fan.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
2011-2012 2nd in the league in CF%
2012-2013 1st in the league in CF%
2013-2014 1st in the league in CF%

Exactly - and THIS year they are not in the playoffs at all, despite again leading the league in CF%. Ergo, not properly indicative.

If it WAS properly indicative, this year the Kings would either a) be in the POs or b) have had a lower CF%. Likewise, the Rangers would either a) not be in the POs (and certainly not with the best record in the league) or b) would have a much better CF% than they do.

Guys, I'm not against advanced stats in general, I just happen to think that the advanced stats currently in vogue in hockey are, well, not all that advanced, frankly.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Exactly - and THIS year they are not in the playoffs at all, despite again leading the league in CF%. Ergo, not properly indicative.

If it WAS properly indicative, this year the Kings would either a) be in the POs or b) have had a lower CF%.

Guys, I'm not against advanced stats in general, I just happen to think that the advanced stats currently in vogue in hockey are, well, not all that advanced, frankly.

They aren't that advanced, which is why I'm a bit confused about why people don't understand them or are so vehemently against them. Some stats are more advanced, but Corsi and Fenwick are practically +/- for shot attempts. They are not perfect stats, but they are indicative of a team's possession.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
They aren't that advanced, which is why I'm a bit confused about why people don't understand them or are so vehemently against them. Some stats are more advanced, but Corsi and Fenwick are practically +/- for shot attempts. They are not perfect stats, but they are indicative of a team's possession.

I do understand them, and the fact that they're not very advanced. Which is why what I'm vehemently against is people using them as an absolute barometer of team and/or player quality.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
I do understand them, and the fact that they're not very advanced. Which is why what I'm vehemently against is people using them as an absolute barometer of team and/or player quality.

I didnt mean to imply that you don't understand them, but there are quite a few who hate them because they don't know what they mean. They are helpful when evaluating teams and players. They need to be taken with context. People here are emotionally attached to Girardi, but there isnt much evidence to support him being a top pairing dman.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
No, if they were as indicative as some make them out to be, they'd be IN the friggin' playoffs.

This season has been exhibit #1 that the current advanced stats are flawed. The fact that the Rangers won the President's Trophy going away, setting the team record for wins/points in the process, and fell in the bottom 35% of the league in CF%, while LA missed the playoffs entirely, despite being #1 is pretty obvious proof of that fact, IMO.

Yeah I guess the last 6/9 cup winners being top 5 in CF% just isn't enough predictive for you. They have to be right 100% of the time or they're super flawed right?

Not to mention the fact that Pittsburgh's possession drastically improved after Michel Therrien got fired, and Boston was just a weird case.

And no, LA's paltry 2-8 record in the shootout deciding their record for the most part does nothing at all to discredit stats.

I also love hearing the "Rangers are great and their stats aren't" argument to discredit the stats. Colorado won the hardest division in hockey last year, and they suck. Their stats were horrible, and lo and behold it bit them hard in the ass this year; like almost everyone knew they would.

Blocking a shot is a negative hockey play because you don't have the puck. Apparently you are supposed to posses the puck an entire game.

Wow I've never seen this strawman before so original!!!!!!

RangerDude

Mar 8, 2015
And thats why Girardi is relevant. If we can trade him we absolutely should.

Get-a-Life-Quotes.png

RangerDude

Mar 8, 2015
Go back 2 pages. How am I in the wrong thread? We should trade Girardi, thats absolutely related to roster building

your respect for his longevity notwithstanding, your diatribe about Girardi belongs in the "I hate Girardi thread".

Sirius Vivace

Mar 15, 2015
Go back 2 pages. How am I in the wrong thread? We should trade Girardi, thats absolutely related to roster building

Dac - From what I can see, Girardi has a full no-movement clause in his contract for the first three years, and has mentioned he wants to finish his career here. A trade is just not going to happen. I guess the Rangers could buy out his contract, but that isn't gonna happen either. Like it or not, Girardi isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

ConvergedD

Apr 1, 2015
Dac - From what I can see, Girardi has a full no-movement clause in his contract for the first three years, and has mentioned he wants to finish his career here. A trade is just not going to happen. I guess the Rangers could buy out his contract, but that isn't gonna happen either. Like it or not, Girardi isn't going anywhere anytime soon.
And I hope he finishes his career as a ranger.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol

Yea I know...just he's overpaid and we need cap relief

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
We should gain $4.5 in cap space by giving MSL a $1 contract plus bonuses that ht the following year. That gives us the money to give raises to Stepan, MZA, Staal and Talbot.

Sirius Vivace

Mar 15, 2015
Yea I know...just he's overpaid and we need cap relief

We'll get a bit of relief from MSL taking 1 to 2 mil or retiring. And I personally think Hags may be in trouble, too...to free up more cap space.

A good move may be to talk to Boyle and see if he'll waive his no-movement clause. I'm sure someone could use him/pay him and that would save us another 4.5mil. I would like to see that. That would be big cap space for next year.

DitClapper

May 15, 2014
I posted this on the trade board a little while back...just wondering what you guys think.

To Boston:
Dylan McIlrath

For

To New York:
Reilly Smith

Good luck guys. **** the Pens.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
I posted this on the trade board a little while back...just wondering what you guys think.

To Boston:
Dylan McIlrath

For

To New York:
Reilly Smith

Good luck guys. **** the Pens.

Do you really want to trade your 40-point 24-year old winger for a big defenseman who's yet to become a mainstay in the NHL? I'm not trying to sell McIlrath low or anything, but I think you could do a little better.

As for the Rangers, we don't have much in terms of defensive depth, especially on the right side. We have Girardi, Klein, Boyle...and then we drop off rather steeply. A lot of people are hoping McI will develop to be the nasty, crease-clearing defensive d-man we've been lacking for a long time. There are still some question marks to his game, but he's shown some promise. Still, I'm not sure he moves beyond a 3rd pairing role...maybe a #4, but that might be a bit of a stretch. Then again, bigger, defensive d-men take longer to develop, generally.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
LA lost Voynov early in the season. Mitchell left as a free agent. They had cap issues. Their main guys have played an extra season of hockey. Mike Richards is no longer a big factor. The 3 playoff runs. The Olympics in Sochi. Darryl Sutter is not an easy guy to play for. The cap is the great equalizer. LeBrun wrote about this on Friday

The reality is that the cap system took several years to fully affect the league and distribute talent more evenly among the 30 teams.

"We're in the full effects now of a cap system, where teams in the past which would have always kept players just can't keep them all anymore," general manager Doug Armstrong of the Central Division-champion St. Louis Blues told ESPN.com Friday.

Powerhouse clubs who had built up deep, talented squads were forced to make tough decisions and shed good players to remain in line with the cap, and there's no better illustration than the Chicago Blackhawks after their 2010 Stanley Cup victory.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/12661242/nhl-salary-cap-created-full-parity-league

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad