2014 - 2015 Coyotes Roster Part 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
So you think Vermette is asking for 7 or 8 million?

The sticking point seems to be a pretty widely reported $6 million a year. He's worth that on a 2-3 year deal, but he has no reason to sign off on that unless he loves AZ. If he was amenable to that, it'd be done already. Maybe he has a change of heart tomorrow and signs? Who knows?

This organization just has no business signing a 33 year old guy to a lengthy contract, center need or not. That's a move the mediocrity seeking Coyotes of old would make in a desperate attempt to squeak into the playoffs.

Don bought out Ribiero and let Vrbata walk over BS, so to put his foot down and sign Vermette at a high price would be stupid. This year and likely next are growth years for the team. Let someone else sign him to a five year deal and get on with life.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
You'd take the UFA to be over the RFA talent? The hell?

Put simply, McQ addresses a need on the right side. Granted I like Morrow and he offers something similar in a LHD, and probably has greater overall value, but I think there are more options in UFA to find a LHD than a RHD. If we throw $3M at McQ, is he even going to bother with testing the market?

OEL - Stone
UFA - McQ
Gormley - Murphy

Bigger concern with this deal is it doesn't help us at center. It leaves Hanzal as our 2C, which isn't terrible, but I'd still prefer him as the 3C. If not, it probably doesn't take much to have the B's throw in Kelly. Cross your fingers for a 1C in the draft and roll with McEichel/Hanzal/Kelly/Vitale.

Domi - McEichel - Boedker
Lucic - Hanzal - Gagner
Rieder - Kelly - Samuelsson

Not sure where this scenario leaves Doan. Maybe he asks out once Vermette and Yandle go, as you mentioned in a previous post.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Put simply, McQ addresses a need on the right side. Granted I like Morrow and he offers something similar in a LHD, and probably has greater overall value, but I think there are more options in UFA to find a LHD than a RHD. If we throw $3M at McQ, is he even going to bother with testing the market?

Stone isn't ready for the top pairing. Morrow is worth a lot more than McQ in trade. Flip him if you don't have the need.

The Bruins aren't going to retain McQ, so if you feel like overpaying for him, I'm sure you can come July.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
If Yandle is traded, will this be a case where the team involved has already put the offer of an extension on the table? I can't see it happening any other way. We wouldn't get the value on a one year rental, so we'd have to know that his price is too high to re-sign...

I still think that if Washington trades Mike Green away, we work with Washington on a deal involving John Carlson and MoJo for Yandle.

Yandle/Korpi

for

Carlson/MoJo/Brouwer??

Last edited:

jacobhockey13

used to watch hockey, then joined HF Boards
Apr 17, 2014
on the bench
The sticking point seems to be a pretty widely reported $6 million a year. He's worth that on a 2-3 year deal, but he has no reason to sign off on that unless he loves AZ. If he was amenable to that, it'd be done already. Maybe he has a change of heart tomorrow and signs? Who knows?

This organization just has no business signing a 33 year old guy to a lengthy contract, center need or not. That's a move the mediocrity seeking Coyotes of old would make in a desperate attempt to squeak into the playoffs.

Don bought out Ribiero and let Vrbata walk over BS, so to put his foot down and sign Vermette at a high price would be stupid. This year and likely next are growth years for the team. Let someone else sign him to a five year deal and get on with life.

I want to resign Vermette if we bring up all the youngsters next year: Domi, Samuelsson, Perlini, et al. I'd probably want 6.5 for three years. Nothing longer or more money than that. The problem is is that when you have guys like Brandon Dubinsky making 6 million, that put the market value for Vermette at above 6 million. I agree though if we don't bring up the kids next year Vermette should go. Otherwise it's one down the drain for another 12th place finish.

jacobhockey13

used to watch hockey, then joined HF Boards
Apr 17, 2014
on the bench
If Yandle is traded, will this be a case where the team involved has already put the offer of an extension on the table? I can't see it happening any other way. We wouldn't get the value on a one year rental, so we'd have to know that his price is too high to re-sign...

I still think that if Washington trades Mike Green away, we work with Washington on a deal involving John Carlson and MoJo for Yandle.

Yandle/Erat

for

Carlson/MoJo/Brouwer??

Agreeing to an extension or any contract with a team before a previous one expires is against NHL rules. I don't doubt they've been broken before though.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Interesting, Dreger has been reporting today that the Bs are very interested in Vermette, and that "maybe the time is now that Boston pays whatever Maloney's asking price will be [for Vermette]."

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
No interest in Lucic period but I could live with it if it was centered around Vermette. If it was around Yandle I would want DM be tarred and feathered!!

zerekstar

Dec 5, 2010
Thunderbay, On (Kakabeka Falls)
No interest in Lucic period but I could live with it if it was centered around Vermette. If it was around Yandle I would want DM be tarred and feathered!!
If we trade Yandle I don't want a gamble coming back. I want a star player similar in value and with a proven track record equal to what we are giving up. If that can't be done, I would rather keep Yandle and sign him long term. He is young enough to go forward with even in a rebuild.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Interesting, Dreger has been reporting today that the Bs are very interested in Vermette, and that "maybe the time is now that Boston pays whatever Maloney's asking price will be [for Vermette]."

Worth noting that Chia and Vermette were together in the Sens organization, so there is a connection there.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
If we trade Yandle I don't want a gamble coming back. I want a star player similar in value and with a proven track record equal to what we are giving up.

What good does that do? Who is going to offer a signed star for Yandle? Probably no one. There's no real trade that makes the team better next year, and that's fine. The goal is to be a much better team three, four, five years from now. If it doesn't make the team better on that long a timespan, Maloney shouldn't be doing it.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Well, I don't want Lucic either.

Boston's Prospect List:
Malcolm Subban - Providence: 16gp 2.66 .917
Ryan Spooner - Providence: 21gp 3g 10a 13pts
Alexander Khochlachev - Providence: 27gp 7g 18a 25pts
David Pastrnak - Providence: 24gp 10g 17a 27pts
Zane McIntyre - North Dakota: 19gp 1.95 .929
Seth Griffith - Bruins: 29gp 6g 4a 10pts
Ryan Donato - South Shore Kings: 6gp 4g 3a 7pts
Ryan Fitzgerald - Boston College: 19gp 6g 6a 12pts
Niklas Svedberg - Bruins: 11gp 2.46 .918
Matt Grzelyck - Boston Univ: 17gp 0a 9a 9pts

Etch

Relegate the Oilers
Jun 1, 2011
Moncton, NB
Not sure why Boston would be overly interested in Vermette.. They already have center depth with Krejci, Bergeron and Soderburg down the middle, plus plenty of other viable centermen. Also unless we're getting Reilly Smith back somehow I'm not sure why we would want to do it either.

Having said that, if Boston wants to spend assets, and if it's the best GMDM can get, I want the trade done tomorrow. Every day we wait is another day closer to losing him for nothing.

I'd be shocked if Vermette resigned with this mess of a team. He's gone either way IMO.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
Not sure why Boston would be overly interested in Vermette.. They already have center depth with Krejci, Bergeron and Soderburg down the middle, plus plenty of other viable centermen. Also unless we're getting Reilly Smith back somehow I'm not sure why we would want to do it either.

Having said that, if Boston wants to spend assets, and if it's the best GMDM can get, I want the trade done tomorrow. Every day we wait is another day closer to losing him for nothing.

I'd be shocked if Vermette resigned with this mess of a team. He's gone either way IMO.

A lot of the teams interested in him are considering playing him on the wing.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I think most teams who would acquire him with the thought of being at wing with their current #2-#3 C would quickly end up putting their own C at wing. There are a few exceptions of course.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ

Soderberg can play LW - if the Bs get Vermette the Yeti shifts over as Vermette is way better in the dot. Soderberg - Vermette - Eriksson could be a damn good line.

Lucic - Krejci - Smith (unless Smith is part of the return for Vermette)
Marchand - Bergy - Griffith
Soderberg - Vermette - Eriksson
Kelly - Campbell - Paille

Last edited:

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
I think most teams who would acquire him with the thought of being at wing with their current #2-#3 C would quickly end up putting their own C at wing. There are a few exceptions of course.
+1. hf fans who want Vermette to play wing for them are just vaguely remembering a fast Ottawa Senator who they haven't seriously watched in 8 years.
Well, I don't want Lucic either.

Boston's Prospect List:
Malcolm Subban - Providence: 16gp 2.66 .917
Ryan Spooner - Providence: 21gp 3g 10a 13pts
Alexander Khochlachev - Providence: 27gp 7g 18a 25pts
David Pastrnak - Providence: 24gp 10g 17a 27pts
Zane McIntyre - North Dakota: 19gp 1.95 .929
Seth Griffith - Bruins: 29gp 6g 4a 10pts
Ryan Donato - South Shore Kings: 6gp 4g 3a 7pts
Ryan Fitzgerald - Boston College: 19gp 6g 6a 12pts
Niklas Svedberg - Bruins: 11gp 2.46 .918
Matt Grzelyck - Boston Univ: 17gp 0a 9a 9pts
Lucic might help give this team some of its 2012 snarl back. But I don't like the idea of moving Yandle for him. Huge offensive hit. I don't see Lucic leaving Boston until THEY totally blow it up and rebuild. He and Chara are the identity of that team and it's not the same B's team without them.

Like Reilly Smith. He'd be in our top 6 and he can be a 30 goal guy. Is Seth Griffin considered better or worse than Smith in terms of potential / career arc?

Don't know anything about Ryan Donato's game but I want him like a 6-year old kid wants Pokemon.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Reilly Smith for Vermette is a lateral move for them, don't see them doing that.

Seth Griffith Stats:
Height - 5'10''
Weight - 185lbs
Shoots - Right
Draft - 5th round (#131)

Former London Knight

Last Year Providence: 69gp 20g 30a 50pts

Havne't seen him play

0point1

Sep 14, 2011
Arizona
I want any trade to be a total pillaging by the Yotes with the fans of the other team(s) freaking out. Make it happen GMDM!

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Reilly Smith for Vermette is a lateral move for them, don't see them doing that.

Seth Griffith Stats:
Height - 5'10''
Weight - 185lbs
Shoots - Right
Draft - 5th round (#131)

Former London Knight

Last Year Providence: 69gp 20g 30a 50pts

Havne't seen him play

Watched him quite a bit with London. Was worried his lack of formidable size paired with his lack of elite skating would really hinder him. But he appears to be translating well enough. Solid all around player with good offensive skills.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad