Status
Not open for further replies.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Coyotes Bandwagon
cobra427 said:
For Smith to be traded, the following would have to happen:

1. DM wants to trade him. I think this is a given, if we could.

2. Smith has to wave his NMC. This is not likely.

3. Somebody has to want him as a starter or back up. This is likely.

4. We would have to retain salary as nobody will take him a 6 mill plus years left on contract. Not likely but could happen with new owner.

Another option is to buy him out. Again, not likely but could happen with new owner. I think we are stuck with Smith for the duration of his contract. Maybe he turns it around, but that is not likely either.
Roberto Luongo lost his starting job last year and got traded for a spare skater and a young goalie who has since been bought out.

Luongo has a better body of work than Smith and was going back to a team where he'd already had tremendous success. Luongo's deal was also heavily front-loaded, so there's a long commitment but not that much cash, which helps FLA. Don't know if we can use this to project Smith's tradability. But maybe. If we retain a bunch of salary. But it at least gives me hope.
Coyotes recall Gormley.
80419-dwight-schrute-fist-pump-screa-CtKy.gif

0point1

Sep 14, 2011
Arizona
50% retained for Smith or 66% buyout... both royally suck but one hurts a little less than the other.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Coyotes Bandwagon
You might find a taker with just 33% retained.
Agree.
We already bought out Ribiero. The team can't afford more dead money out of its pockets.
Also agree. But retaining on Smith would (hopefully) lead us to doing the Griess / Ochocinco / Montoya / Dubnyk grab-bag goalie platoon thing for a few years. Which is probably a smarter way to spend our moneys than investing in one guy, regardless of who the guy is.
21% sure. 86% unsure. 3% hungover.
Nice to see you giving 110% on a Monday morning :laugh:

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Roberto Luongo lost his starting job last year and got traded for a spare skater and a young goalie who has since been bought out.

Luongo has a better body of work than Smith and was going back to a team where he'd already had tremendous success. Luongo's deal was also heavily front-loaded, so there's a long commitment but not that much cash, which helps FLA. Don't know if we can use this to project Smith's tradability. But maybe. If we retain a bunch of salary. But it at least gives me hope.
80419-dwight-schrute-fist-pump-screa-CtKy.gif

Luongo was still regarded as a great goalie and I think he had an NMC, which he waved for Florida. Smith has an NMC, so I doubt he waves and the term of his contract is too long for somebody to pick it up. Even if we retain 50%, does anyone want Smith at 3 mill a year for 4 years?
At best he has to be considered a 1B to back up now.

The Grocery Stick

AZDomiNation
Oct 30, 2014
ID
Agree.Also agree. But retaining on Smith would (hopefully) lead us to doing the Griess / Ochocinco / Montoya / Dubnyk grab-bag goalie platoon thing for a few years. Which is probably a smarter way to spend our moneys than investing in one guy, ...
Particularly if that one guy is a goalie. Big money, long-term contracts on goalies seem to fail more than succeed. I would maybe pony up for a Rinne or a Quick but better to spend the $$ on forwards who can score and defensemen that limit scoring chances.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Not sure where to put it or if it's already been written but Domi looked very good in WJH exhibition against Sweden. If he can build chemistry and bring that to the Coyotes I think we will all be enjoying that pick for years to come.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Not sure where to put it or if it's already been written but Domi looked very good in WJH exhibition against Sweden. If he can build chemistry and bring that to the Coyotes I think we will all be enjoying that pick for years to come.

He was arguably the best player on the ice. Great chemistry with Duclair.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I agree, hope we find someone that he gels with in next couple years???

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Or just trade for Duclair, McCarron, and draft Marner. Half kidding.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
If we can't deal OEL for MacKinnon or Eichel, and we pick third, I'd take Marner at that spot.

I'd move Yandle and take Hanifan. It's early though. WJC may change my mind and unless Red Wings are offering a package that includes a prized asset like Larkin I'm not sure I'd rather extend Yandle at $8 M per and go with your plan.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Personally don't want anything to do with a Yandle extension. Not a hater. Just think the team needs to move on from his specialized play. Leadership can be found elsewhere. Not the end of the world if he is moved.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Can you imagine if we made the trades necessary and ended up next year with that rookie line in AZ. I'm not sure if Tippett's head would explode or this site would combust with the rookie mistakes!!! They would be fun in a couple years though!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad