2014 - 2015 Coyotes Roster Part 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
Feel free to argue on this, but I still think that it is inappropriate to say that the Coyotes will get McDavid or Eichel in the draft, as our record stands now. Not saying it is impossible, but I feel like everyone has this built-in mentality that we are going to be in the top 2, but that is not a guarantee.

I still feel like the only way we are going to be in the top 2 is if we make a trade to get there, and then we have to have a workable trade to do so...

A lot of people think Uncle Gary would pull strings. But, if Vermette was traded, we suddenly only have Hanzal as our only legit center. Even more losses seem to be logical conclusion from that.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Kelly at 2.5 is okay with me. Not my first choice as a center add, but a more than adequate Korpikoski/Erat style replacement as a winger that can PK and play on the third line. He's got the added benefit of being a fill-in C if necessary. He's the rich man's Kyle Chipchura. Haha.

He's not the primary asset I'd be looking for in a deal with Boston by any means. But if they want to include him to clear cap space, I'd be happy to see him included. Especially if they are willing to take Chipchura off of our hands and bury him in Providence so we don't have to bury him in Portland.

Vermette+Chipchura for Kelly, Griffith, and a 2nd?

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Trading Vermette and Michalek will go a long ways in that.

Agreed, but there are still no guarantees. Over the past few games, I think it is clear that we are still playing hard on the ice, and that we are not necessarily committed to a tank. Even after deals are done, we would still likely pick up a roster player or two (probably a C to replace Vermette and I have my eyes on McNeill from Chicago), and maybe steal some games here and there.

I just feel like people have this idea that somehow Gary Bettman is going to magically give us a top 2 pick. From the same guy who has promised Arizona an All-Star game for quite a while?? Call me a skeptic and cynic, but until we achieve being in the bottom 2, I don't like predictions that either Eichel or McDavid are guarantees...

KG

Sep 23, 2010
Yeah this whole puppet master theory that we're almost a lock to draft McEichel is a joke. I don't, and will never understand that.

A LOT of people think Crosby draft was rigged. Team on the verge of relocation, has a 1.3% chance of getting first overall, and they just happen to land the most highly touted prospect since Yashin or Lindros? Yeaaah...

Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me either way. Lottery rigging has happened before in professional sports.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Agreed, but there are still no guarantees. Over the past few games, I think it is clear that we are still playing hard on the ice, and that we are not necessarily committed to a tank. Even after deals are done, we would still likely pick up a roster player or two (probably a C to replace Vermette and I have my eyes on McNeill from Chicago), and maybe steal some games here and there.

I just feel like people have this idea that somehow Gary Bettman is going to magically give us a top 2 pick. From the same guy who has promised Arizona an All-Star game for quite a while?? Call me a skeptic and cynic, but until we achieve being in the bottom 2, I don't like predictions that either Eichel or McDavid are guarantees...

Players are *never* committed to a tank. It's always a mangement/organizational decision. Players and coaches will always try to win.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
A LOT of people think Crosby draft was rigged. Team on the verge of relocation, has a 1.3% chance of getting first overall, and they just happen to land the most highly touted prospect since Yashin or Lindros? Yeaaah...

Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me either way. Lottery rigging has happened before in professional sports.

Not true at all.

The year of the Crosby draft was after the lockout cancelled season. As a result, the teams were assigned between 1 and 3 balls, based on the previous 3 years of finishes in the league. Pittsburgh was one of four teams that had 3 balls. 10 teams had 2 balls. The remaining teams had 1 ball each.

Pittsburgh basically had a 3 out of 48 chance to get the #1 overall pick. Still horrible odds, as every team had the chance of getting the #1 pick, but they had triple the odds of 20 other teams to get the #1 pick.

The year prior was when the Pens tanked to try and get Ovechkin. The Caps wound up winning the lottery, and Pittsburgh had the 2nd pick (Malkin). To get the #1 pick after getting the #2 pick the year before would appear to be more luck than rigging.

I'd also like to think that draft rigging hasn't happened, b/c it just seems that you lose a lot more face and fans if it ever gets out in the open.

EDIT: now, this was Pittsburgh's 3rd time in 3 years that they had a top 2 selection. But that has also occurred with Edmonton as well. This was a major reason for opening the #1 pick up to all lottery teams this year, and not just those in the top 5 (correct me if I am wrong, but the old rule was that no team could move up more than 5 spots??). So, the foil hats can spin that however they would like, but the Penguin team was always finishing last or second to last in the NHL, even after drafting Fleury, and having to wait a full year for Malkin to come over b/c of the lockout.

Last edited:

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Any thoughts on Drew Shore?

I like him. Big right handed center putting up near PPG in the AHL whose NHL ready. They limited his number of NHL games to just below the waiver exemption. I'd love to give him an extended audition with us as the season winds down.

I'd prefer to move Vermette for pick & prospect sooner than later, even if the return is not ideal. We should lose more games and get to roll the dice on a guy like Shore or even Hodgman.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

You have to look at the context, though, if the conspiracy theory is going to work - the fact that Pittsburgh was and is a "core" NHL franchise with Mario Lemieux backing it. That might lend a bit of credence to the idea of a rigged draft in that case.

I don't quite think that that context applies to our case, particularly now that we have Barroway on board augmenting the ownership group.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
You have to look at the context, though, if the conspiracy theory is going to work - the fact that Pittsburgh was and is a "core" NHL franchise with Mario Lemieux backing it. That might lend a bit of credence to the idea of a rigged draft in that case.

I don't quite think that that context applies to our case, particularly now that we have Barroway on board augmenting the ownership group.

I'm not trying to prove it would 'work'. Only that it has happened before in professional sports and that a good amount of people believe Crosby draft was rigged. It could be an urban legend thing, so may not be credible, though.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Every point not earned is a step towards getting a better player in the draft. It doesn't matter if it's rigged or not. With Edmonton and Carolina showing signs of life, it's time to drive the team straight into the ground.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Every point not earned is a step towards getting a better player in the draft. It doesn't matter if it's rigged or not. With Edmonton and Carolina showing signs of life, it's time to drive the team straight into the ground.

This.

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it

Absolutely. I just don't agree with the false hope of Uncle Gary shooting us a wink and a smile on draft day.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville

Indeed.

Vermette, Michalek, Korpikoski and Erat for picks. Today. Before close of business on the East Coast.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Going w/ the Dreger-reported asking price, I'd probably guess for a Chris Kelly + Donato return. Would love to get Pastrnak, but I highly doubt Chiarelli will be moving his best forward prospect.

Not Kelly.:shakehead

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I really like Hanzal as a 2C with Reider and Gagner on his wings. They've tried the 3 of them together on the powerplay and they've looked good together.

That's fine. They can play the same way when they all get bumped down to the 3rd line by better depth.

0point1

Sep 14, 2011
Arizona
Yeah this whole puppet master theory that we're almost a lock to draft McEichel is a joke. I don't, and will never understand that.

It is funny, here on board 40 (Yotes board) on HF we are always so pessimistic about everything (with good reason) yet when it comes to the draft many of us optimistic about getting McEichel. Realistically, this is the Coyotes we are talking about, nothing lucky ever happens to us.

Alberta Yote

Owns the Yotes
Dec 31, 2004
In your kitchen
It is funny, here on board 40 (Yotes board) on HF we are always so pessimistic about everything (with good reason) yet when it comes to the draft many of us optimistic about getting McEichel. Realistically, this is the Coyotes we are talking about, nothing lucky ever happens to us.
Zacha it is

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad