2014 - 2015 Coyotes Roster Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Facts are Facts
Korpi is replaceable by at least 2 players (Lessio/Rieder) for starters. I think McMillan could replace Korpi as well. There is at least 3 players right there.

I like Lessio and Rieder. I don't think either of them are ready to fill Korpikoski's shoes right now. The same role? Yes. But if the goal is to be competitive this year, and I think it is, then we need to ease those guys into the lineup not throw them into the fire.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
We have to. The budget demands it. Next season Boedker is going to get a sizeable raise, Vermette is going to need a raise, you will need to find a suitable replacement for Erat.

The upgrades alone will cost close to $5m. Unless the budget is going up by 10%, then we've got to trade some guys to free up the space to sign the "core" players.

Vermette & Boedker currently are core players.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
I would also "add" that we are a prime target for other teams to put a claim on Boedker next year as an RFA, they'll know exactly the number we can't afford to pay and could offer him close to $6m especially if gets close to 60pts.

letowskie

Aug 16, 2002
In your worst nighmare
Visit site
He's an effective penalty-killer, brings offense in squirts, is the opposite of a defensive liability which most rookies aren't.
He can't be placed on a scoring line, apparently, yet he was part of the best line for the Coyotes last year with Vermette and Boedker...

If you can find a cheaper player to do the same (McMillan), at this point we should be adding them to the roster, not subtracting Korpi from it and replacing him.

Vitale is just as able to do almost everything you said, for less than half the cost. We need more players like Vitale, not Korpi. Korpi does some of these things well, but they are not the qualities that gives someone a 3M contract, which he will have soon. His offence has basically been drying up, not that he was highly productive to begin with 3 years ago, but certainly was better than now. He failed to even crack 10 goals, despite playing with our best center (verm), and perhaps our most dynamic forward (boeds).

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
A little surprised that McMillan filed for arbitration, but it's not really a big deal. Even another $200K for him is fair and affordable.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
We have to. The budget demands it. Next season Boedker is going to get a sizeable raise, Vermette is going to need a raise, you will need to find a suitable replacement for Erat.

The upgrades alone will cost close to $5m. Unless the budget is going up by 10%, then we've got to trade some guys to free up the space to sign the "core" players.

Vermette & Boedker currently are core players.

I'd much rather the Erat replacement be Lessio or Reider, and we keep Korpi.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
You guys are making compelling cases for trading Korpikoski.......a year from now. Not now.

Yeah, with the amount of forward turnover this offseason, I've backed off the move Korpi talk as well. Hopefully his game rebounds this season.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I would also "add" that we are a prime target for other teams to put a claim on Boedker next year as an RFA, they'll know exactly the number we can't afford to pay and could offer him close to $6m especially if gets close to 60pts.

Unless Boedker just explodes, I'd take the picks or trade his rights at 6M a year.

rt said:
You guys are making compelling cases for trading Korpikoski.......a year from now. Not now.

Right. IF Lessio/Rieder show they're able to take on that role effectively, then I'm all for replacing him next year at 3M. Lessio has 3 games under his belt. Rieder, zero.

We're not even to camp yet, and we're calling for them to take key roles on the roster and getting rid of our safety net? Doesn't make sense to me.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Yeah, with the amount of forward turnover this offseason, I've backed off the move Korpi talk as well. Hopefully his game rebounds this season.

Yeah, there is extremely little chance he hurts his value this season. I expect him to stay healthy, and have a better year. Then maybe we can actually get a good asset for him, instead of dumping him for a 3rd and a middling prospect, or whatever.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
If we trade Korpi this summer, it would be for someone like Brouwer or another forward that could be put on a top line rather than Korpi.

I'm just talking about Maloney doing the due diligence to get some irons in the fire because just like this off season, I would have rather traded at the very least traded Korpi for a draft pick and keep Vrbata than to let Vrbata leave and keep Korpi.

I don't want the same thing to happen to Boedker because we run out of funds. I'm sure Maloney will find a way to sign Boedker, it's imperative, because we got some good young guys coming and he's a core piece. I just don't want it to come down to a claim made that we can't match.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Nobody's going to sheet Boedker. That happens out of desperation or spite. Maloney is one of the most respected GM's in the league, so it won't be out of spite. A desperate GM might sheet a franchise forward or at least a star in the making. Boedker is an effective and responsible winger, but a franchise forward he is not.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
A really simple question is: Would I trade 5 first round picks for Boedker if his contract was 6M? The answer is no. Just like Gagner at 3.3M was still only worth a 6th. Boedker at 6M is an anchor. Noone is going to offer that unless he just explodes with a 30-35 goal season. And if he does that and we think it's sustainable, then we match and find a way to make it work financially then. We don't lose sleep over it now.

DesertDawg

Mar 6, 2002
Superstition Mts
ridefree.net
I would guess he's trying to get a 1-way contract. His qualifying offer would have been 2-way.
At least by accepting arbitration, he has agreed not to be offer sheeted. He wants to get a deal done.
I agree and don't expect the internal budget to be this low. The Buy Out has put a damper on the budget. I think they put more money in escrow (if not all) than just the 1 year in the buy out. The same arguments can be made for Michalek, who is likely not going to be on next years roster.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Coyotes may just walk away if they aren't happy with one way deal. May just go with Schwartz instead.

Desert Ice 11

I'm here!
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
Looking at some of the other teams rosters I think Coyotes will be middle of the pack in the Pacific..Please correct or add to this..This is just how I see it.

Vancouver -
Outside of the top line I really don't see much scoring depth and defense looks okay but they now have Miller in net who is lights out against the Coyotes.

Thoughts:
Facing Miller more often and on a different team Coyotes will solve the Miller enigma. Defense will power through giving most of the offense in these match ups.. tough fought games and Coyotes grind out it to squeak by winning most matches.

San Jose -
Fast team but having key role players aging. Rumors of trades and rebuild may shake some confidence or have players lose focus on games. Defense is good but Nieme might have some mental stress from rumors of being traded or possibly wanting out of SJ.

Thoughts:
Even though some key players are aging they will still be productive and have a fast game. I think the Coyotes will come close to even on match ups against the Sharks.

L.A Kings-
I am not going to go there

Thoughts: I hold my opinions to myself.

The Oil-
Adding some veteran depth will help balance a team that is full of young talent. However, the Oilers will still be lead by young players that prefer to skate the puck in rather than dump and chase. There is also lack of defensive depth. Scrivens might stand on his head or fail.

Thoughts
:Oilers would be a tougher team to play against if they used a system and had better defense. It is possible Scrivens can stop Yandle from roofing the puck but that is a difficult task. Games against the Oilers should mostly be in favor for the Coyotes to win

Calgary Flames-
Rebuilding

Thoughts:Tough competition for the McDavid sweepstakes. Coyotes play a solid game should come out with a win. Mostly wins in this match up.

Da Ducks-

Big fast team but has moved some players in the off season and may not have the same chemistry. Also have a few good young defensive players and gave the Coyotes hell last season.

Thoughts:This is not the same team as last season. Long time Duck Teemu is gone (for now) and the team chemistry will be off for the first part of the season. I think these games will be close but I feel that the Coyotes will win some game but not be on top in this match up.

Summary:I think the Coyotes will be system team that is hard to play against. Finally being able to roll four lines they will be able to fair well on the face off dot. Goals will come from a every line and the Coyotes will benefit from the DT system. 3rd or 2nd in the Pacific division.

If a good replacement for Vrbata is found than 2nd or 1st in the Pacific. By the way I never said these were the most educated of predictions so please to hold my feet to the fire to badly.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Looking at some of the other teams rosters I think Coyotes will be middle of the pack in the Pacific..Please correct or add to this..This is just how I see it.

Vancouver -
Outside of the top line I really don't see much scoring depth and defense looks okay but they now have Miller in net who is lights out against the Coyotes.

Thoughts:
Facing Miller more often and on a different team Coyotes will solve the Miller enigma. Defense will power through giving most of the offense in these match ups.. tough fought games and Coyotes grind out it to squeak by winning most matches.

San Jose -
Fast team but having key role players aging. Rumors of trades and rebuild may shake some confidence or have players lose focus on games. Defense is good but Nieme might have some mental stress from rumors of being traded or possibly wanting out of SJ.

Thoughts:
Even though some key players are aging they will still be productive and have a fast game. I think the Coyotes will come close to even on match ups against the Sharks.

L.A Kings-
I am not going to go there

Thoughts: I hold my opinions to myself.

The Oil-
Adding some veteran depth will help balance a team that is full of young talent. However, the Oilers will still be lead by young players that prefer to skate the puck in rather than dump and chase. There is also lack of defensive depth. Scrivens might stand on his head or fail.

Thoughts
:Oilers would be a tougher team to play against if they used a system and had better defense. It is possible Scrivens can stop Yandle from roofing the puck but that is a difficult task. Games against the Oilers should mostly be in favor for the Coyotes to win

Calgary Flames-
Rebuilding

Thoughts:Tough competition for the McDavid sweepstakes. Coyotes play a solid game should come out with a win. Mostly wins in this match up.

Da Ducks-

Big fast team but has moved some players in the off season and may not have the same chemistry. Also have a few good young defensive players and gave the Coyotes hell last season.

Thoughts:This is not the same team as last season. Long time Duck Teemu is gone (for now) and the team chemistry will be off for the first part of the season. I think these games will be close but I feel that the Coyotes will win some game but not be on top in this match up.

Summary:I think the Coyotes will be system team that is hard to play against. Finally being able to roll four lines they will be able to fair well on the face off dot. Goals will come from a every line and the Coyotes will benefit from the DT system. 3rd or 2nd in the Pacific division.

If a good replacement for Vrbata is found than 2nd or 1st in the Pacific. By the way I never said these were the most educated of predictions so please to hold my feet to the fire to badly.

The only way we made the playoffs 3 years in a row, was with a top 5-10 goalie. We did it twice with Bryz and once with Smith. The last 2 years we had less then top 10 goal tending. This year will be no different. If Smith is top 5, we will be in the playoffs. If he is less then top 10, we have no chance.

Regardless of if DM can make a trade for a top 6 forward, if Domi or Gagner come through, our offense will be limited. Our season boils down to being tough defensively, tough on the PK, and tough in net. The good news is, we have the potential players on D and in net to do it.

We all see the signing in the west, which on paper make all these teams better, and I agree with that. The problem is, all of the signings improved offenses but not defenses. I don't see any defenses improving in the west or any goalie improvements. Miller to Vancouver should be the only one, but I question Miller? Why did the Blues give him up when they have been juggling goalies non stop. Miller was not impressive against the Hawks.

I see L.A., Chicago, and Anahiem making it in for sure. Everyone else has goal tending or defensive problems that make everyone else vulnerable and not a lock to make the playoffs. I see Phoenix because of Smith and Nashville because of Rinne having a decent shot at the playoffs, but both are under dogs.

We have a major uphill battle but it is not out of the question. Our young D, Smith, Tip and a crafty DM, could pull us through and into the playoffs. I think the playoffs are more likely then a bottom 3 finish in the conference.

Desert Ice 11

I'm here!
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
The only way we made the playoffs 3 years in a row, was with a top 5-10 goalie. We did it twice with Bryz and once with Smith. The last 2 years we had less then top 10 goal tending. This year will be no different. If Smith is top 5, we will be in the playoffs. If he is less then top 10, we have no chance.

Regardless of if DM can make a trade for a top 6 forward, if Domi or Gagner come through, our offense will be limited. Our season boils down to being tough defensively, tough on the PK, and tough in net. The good news is, we have the potential players on D and in net to do it.

We all see the signing in the west, which on paper make all these teams better, and I agree with that. The problem is, all of the signings improved offenses but not defenses. I don't see any defenses improving in the west or any goalie improvements. Miller to Vancouver should be the only one, but I question Miller? Why did the Blues give him up when they have been juggling goalies non stop. Miller was not impressive against the Hawks.

I see L.A., Chicago, and Anahiem making it in for sure. Everyone else has goal tending or defensive problems that make everyone else vulnerable and not a lock to make the playoffs. I see Phoenix because of Smith and Nashville because of Rinne having a decent shot at the playoffs, but both are under dogs.

We have a major uphill battle but it is not out of the question. Our young D, Smith, Tip and a crafty DM, could pull us through and into the playoffs. I think the playoffs are more likely then a bottom 3 finish in the conference.

I see more, if not everyone buying into the system. Smith was lights out until injury and the first half mentally focused on Olympics rather than Coyotes.

The reason I did this is because of some reshuffling of the pacific teams had me wondering if the other teams in the pacific really got that much better. It really doesn't look like every team got so much better than some made it sound and what I first thought. Some of these teams lost some players via trade, FA, or retirement. Vancouver gave up kesler and added got players from the ducks and is on the a rebuild, Calgary is halfway into a rebuild, Edmonton needs to get organized, Anaheim lost Teemu and traded some good players for Kesler, San Jose will probably get it together or freak out and start a small rebuild, Finally L.A is fairly unchanged...

I know central powerhouses are going to be Dallas and Chicago.. Nashville will be relatively the same as last year. I don't see Neal making that big of a difference. Haven't really looked into the other Central teams.

I am saying Coyotes moves may not have been massive headline making moves but Arizona now has a legitimate 4th line, younger players, players that will buy into DT system. Downfall might be the youth of the blue line and the lack of a proven goal scorer. I really do see the Coyotes are going to be tough team to play against because every shift will be a grind. The star players of the opponents will neutralized in the corners and along the boards with puck battles. With good centers that win face offs puck possession will be harder for other teams gain. This season will not be fancy or pretty but I do not think this team will be at the bottom of the standings.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

You have to add St. Louis and Minnesota in the mix. I think Dallas has improved by a big margin and Nashville will be much stronger because of Rinne. I have a feeling Edmonton, with their added D depth and another year of growing up will explode this year. As of today, I do not see the Coyotes making the playoffs.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
You have to add St. Louis and Minnesota in the mix. I think Dallas has improved by a big margin and Nashville will be much stronger because of Rinne. I have a feeling Edmonton, with their added D depth and another year of growing up will explode this year. As of today, I do not see the Coyotes making the playoffs.

The Blues and Mini have potential goal tending issues, so I am not sold on either team. Dallas did not improve their defense, so I am not sure how much better they will be this year. Oilers could move up because there D is clearly better, but again, not sure about their goal tending.

The difference is that all of these teams might be able to over come poor defense and goal tending because their forwards can generate goals and get them in the playoffs. For the coyotes, we need top 5 D and top 5 goalie to make it in for sure. 100% of prognosticators don't think we will make the playoffs this year, same as the last 5 years. Let's hope they are wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad