2014 - 2015 Coyotes Roster Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

DesertDawg

Mar 6, 2002
Superstition Mts
ridefree.net
You have to add St. Louis and Minnesota in the mix. I think Dallas has improved by a big margin and Nashville will be much stronger because of Rinne. I have a feeling Edmonton, with their added D depth and another year of growing up will explode this year. As of today, I do not see the Coyotes making the playoffs.

I Think the Coyotes improved their roster except for Vrbata's 20 goals.
Improved pk and 4th line, Gagner is an improvement over Ribeiro, Doan is healthier, Korpi fell off after getting hit in the face with the puck and should rebound and hopefully find chemistry with Gagner. The blueline is a year older. I would like the Coyotes to get another LW, just because I'm not convinced that Domi will make the big club this season & I would prefer that Lessio gets sent down to develop chemistry with Samuelsson (that's just predictions without any true merit, we'll see how it all develops @ camp).

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I Think the Coyotes improved their roster except for Vrbata's 20 goals.
Improved pk and 4th line, Gagner is an improvement over Ribeiro, Doan is healthier, Korpi fell off after getting hit in the face with the puck and should rebound and hopefully find chemistry with Gagner. The blueline is a year older. I would like the Coyotes to get another LW, just because I'm not convinced that Domi will make the big club this season & I would prefer that Lessio gets sent down to develop chemistry with Samuelsson (that's just predictions without any true merit, we'll see how it all develops @ camp).

I agree with most of your points, but as of today, I believe we are not a playoff team. Much can happen before the start of the season.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
From the UFA bargain bin...any thoughts on Zac Dalpe? Former Canes 2nd rounder in 2009 whom the Canucks did not qualify this offseason.

Dalpe seems to have the tools of a scorer as well as energy, but so far has never been able to put it together consistently. Still, he's only 24 and could be worth at least a try out at training camp.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
From the UFA bargain bin...any thoughts on Zac Dalpe? Former Canes 2nd rounder in 2009 whom the Canucks did not qualify this offseason.

Dalpe seems to have the tools of a scorer as well as energy, but so far has never been able to put it together consistently. Still, he's only 24 and could be worth at least a try out at training camp.

Looks like he hit a wall. He seems to be able to produce at the AHL level, so I see no harm in giving him a try out. He is something like Brett Connolly, never has taken the next step.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
As a budget team I think we should be trying a few guys like this each year. We need to fill out our roster with hidden gems with potential, but all have to be able to skate well. If a guy can skate and has drive we can make our system stronger. If he scores that would be a bonus. When you see teams like the Hawks and Kings play each year it is very evident how they are building their 3rd and 4th lines, it's with high energy guys who can skate well while sticking to the system.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Nashville will be much stronger because of Rinne.

And the addition of Neal however losing Fisher for the first 3 months of the season isn't going to help them at all. Also I'm not convinced Laviolette is going to be able to help them punch above their weight like they did so often under Trotz.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Preds sign Volchenkov to a 1yr/$1mil deal...I know he's injury prone but that's the kind of hard hitting stay at home D the Coyotes could really use, especially at that price and term. A little bummed DM didn't scoop this deal!

KG

Sep 23, 2010
Nashville is kind of puzzling to me. They don't have Giroux or other players surrounding him of that kind of caliber to run a very offensive system and I'm not even sure what team was the last to win a cup with a primarily offensive system was.

To me it sounds like their defensive window closed with Trotz and they decided just to say "**** it" and go offensive because that's more entertaining than grindy hockey, especially for casual fans.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I think that's exactly what they've done but as you stated the problem is to put a show on the ice you still need the right personnel and I don't think Nashville has that...at least not yet. Also those types happen to be the most expensive players around. For a team that is limited budget wise going the offensive route is risky.

That said, I do understand the need for small markets to be entertaining I just think it's a risky move unless you're lucky enough to have a team like say, Colorado.

In terms of putting butts in seats:
Winning offensive team > Winning defensive team > Offensive team > Defensive team

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Preds sign Volchenkov to a 1yr/$1mil deal...I know he's injury prone but that's the kind of hard hitting stay at home D the Coyotes could really use, especially at that price and term. A little bummed DM didn't scoop this deal!

The Coyotes are not adding a SAH D or any D for that matter. They don't have the need, and any money spent will be on forwards. They have 8 D that can play and a few with upside. Unless they trade a D man or two, I just don't see it. For a cheap SAH DMO would be available.

DesertDawg

Mar 6, 2002
Superstition Mts
ridefree.net
I agree with most of your points, but as of today, I believe we are not a playoff team. Much can happen before the start of the season.

I would feel better if the Coyotes had another LW that could put in at least 20+ goals. I think they are set at the other positions (not saying that they couldn't be upgraded, just saying there currently is no holes except at LW).
C - RW pairings seem set
Vermette Boedker
Hanzal Erat
Gagner Doan
Vitale Crombeen
Where and who are the LW is the question.

Fathead

Jan 9, 2010
Scottsdale AZ
I would feel better if the Coyotes had another LW that could put in at least 20+ goals. I think they are set at the other positions (not saying that they couldn't be upgraded, just saying there currently is no holes except at LW).
C - RW pairings seem set
Vermette Boedker
Hanzal Erat
Gagner Doan
Vitale Crombeen
Where and who are the LW is the question.

What about taking a chance on LW David Booth?? If we can get him cheap.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
The Coyotes are not adding a SAH D or any D for that matter. They don't have the need, and any money spent will be on forwards. They have 8 D that can play and a few with upside. Unless they trade a D man or two, I just don't see it. For a cheap SAH DMO would be available.

Volchenkov is not just a stay at home D, he's physical and a big body. I couldn't disagree more with your assertion that the Coyotes do not need someone like that. The current blueline is very mobile but defensively suspect and soft as a marshmallow. I'm a firm believer that part of what they're missing from the 2012 season are guys like Aucoin and Rozsival, guys who are bigger and play a physical shutdown type style of defense. I think Anton could've brought some of that element back into the Yotes defense and along with a bit of intimidation as well.

This is something the Coyotes just do not have...

As for DMO, all indications are that ship has sailed, it's very unlikely he'll be brought back.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Volchenkov is not just a stay at home D, he's physical and a big body. I couldn't disagree more with your assertion that the Coyotes do not need someone like that. The current blueline is very mobile but defensively suspect and soft as a marshmallow. I'm a firm believer that part of what they're missing from the 2012 season are guys like Aucoin and Rozsival, guys who are bigger and play a physical shutdown type style of defense. I think Anton could've brought some of that element back into the Yotes defense and along with a bit of intimidation as well.

This is something the Coyotes just do not have...

As for DMO, all indications are that ship has sailed, it's very unlikely he'll be brought back.

The game is too fast for slow D like Volchenkov, that ship has sailed just like DMO. For D, mobility is at a premium, and we have plenty of it with our current D men. DM said we looked old and slow, just don't see the need for bigger harder hitting D at the expense of mobility in today's NHL.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
The game is too fast for slow D like Volchenkov, that ship has sailed just like DMO. For D, mobility is at a premium, and we have plenty of it with our current D men. DM said we looked old and slow, just don't see the need for bigger harder hitting D at the expense of mobility in today's NHL.

I have to agree with this. I think one reason they didn't spend much time reconsidering the 4th line last year os because we still had bruises on the blue line in morris andklesla. Both didn't quite ban out and then the team had almost no grit. I think most teams are better off having a hard checking gritty fourth line and maybe one bruiser on the blueline. Summers is geitty enough but still is mobile. If Stone can be a little more rough and use his body more we should be fine on the backend

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
The only way we made the playoffs 3 years in a row, was with a top 5-10 goalie. We did it twice with Bryz and once with Smith. The last 2 years we had less then top 10 goal tending. This year will be no different. If Smith is top 5, we will be in the playoffs. If he is less then top 10, we have no chance.

Regardless of if DM can make a trade for a top 6 forward, if Domi or Gagner come through, our offense will be limited. Our season boils down to being tough defensively, tough on the PK, and tough in net. The good news is, we have the potential players on D and in net to do it.

We all see the signing in the west, which on paper make all these teams better, and I agree with that. The problem is, all of the signings improved offenses but not defenses. I don't see any defenses improving in the west or any goalie improvements. Miller to Vancouver should be the only one, but I question Miller? Why did the Blues give him up when they have been juggling goalies non stop. Miller was not impressive against the Hawks.

I see L.A., Chicago, and Anahiem making it in for sure. Everyone else has goal tending or defensive problems that make everyone else vulnerable and not a lock to make the playoffs. I see Phoenix because of Smith and Nashville because of Rinne having a decent shot at the playoffs, but both are under dogs.

We have a major uphill battle but it is not out of the question. Our young D, Smith, Tip and a crafty DM, could pull us through and into the playoffs. I think the playoffs are more likely then a bottom 3 finish in the conference.

I'm curious as to why you think our defense is so strong?

We have defensemen who can move the puck well. They need strong forwards to move the puck to. They really don't defend any better than average. And the only way it even works, is if the forwards forecheck well enough to keep the puck in the offensive zone.

Quite the waste of the type of back end talent we have imo. On the nights when the forecheck is lackadaisical Smitty will be shelled to no end and history repeats itself - except we've eliminated our number two and five scorer. Five was tied with four incidentally.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Did you not watch the video? Volchenkov may not be a burner but he's not exactly Hal Gill either. I think he's plenty mobile to play his role. Further more the Kings just won the cup with a blueline that averaged 216lbs. As of right now the biggest Coyotes defenseman is Z at 210lbs and the average of the current 8 Coyote D is barely over 200lbs! I love Z but I'm scared as hell entering the season with him being the "beef" of the blue line. Time will tell if going all in on medium sized puck moving D will work but it makes me nervous.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA

We have defensemen who can move the puck well. They need strong forwards to move the puck to. They really don't defend any better than average. And the only way it even works, is if the forwards forecheck well enough to keep the puck in the offensive zone.

Quite the waste of the type of back end talent we have imo. On the nights when the forecheck is lackadaisical Smitty will be shelled to no end and history repeats itself - except we've eliminated our number two and five scorer. Five was tied with four incidentally.

I'm not sure why you and others think we are so screwed on the front end. We have young talent, and if they can translate that talent to the NHL level of play then we are fine. Plus we do still have 4 years of luck and grinding to put ourselves into the playoffs and not another city.

I have more faith in Lessio than most, but I feel like he could come in and put up ~30 points (15 goals, 15 assists) while playing a 200 foot game. He put up 54 in 69 on a bad Portland team, 29 of them were goals. If he can bring his speed and goal scoring this season, we could easily have half of the goals we'll be losing from Vrbata.

Then there is Max Domi, who put up 93 in 61 with London. His size and maturity are certainly a concern but he has the speed and creativity to excel at the NHL level, its just a matter of when. If he can come in and put up near the 47 points we are losing from Ribeiro then we don't have a whole lot to worry about.

These are just the two I think will make the squad, there is still Samuelsson and Rieder who could find themselves in the fold if they show they're ready.

Now, I'll give you credit in none of these four possibly being ready this season, in which case we will have a bit of a problem. For now, I'm optimistic that one or two of these kids can make the cut and bring in some of the scoring we lost.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I'd have been more interested in Volchenkov if he was a RHD, but he isn't. We just don't have the space on the left.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Did you not watch the video? Volchenkov may not be a burner but he's not exactly Hal Gill either. I think he's plenty mobile to play his role. Further more the Kings just won the cup with a blueline that averaged 216lbs. As of right now the biggest Coyotes defenseman is Z at 210lbs and the average of the current 8 Coyote D is barely over 200lbs! I love Z but I'm scared as hell entering the season with him being the "beef" of the blue line. Time will tell if going all in on medium sized puck moving D will work but it makes me nervous.

Outside of Smith being a top 5 goalie, 80% of our upside is in our young blue line. Yandle can be a little better on D and OEL gets better every year and could be a Norris candidate. Stone, Murphy, Summers, and Gormley all have upside with some NHL experience. We have to hope Z does not break down, and Schlemko, if he stays healthy, can be a very good D. Schlemko was one of our better D for part of the season 2 years ago. I think our D can be very good based on the above.

Our forwards are another story. Hopefully Gagner can rebound and play well, but I would be happy if he replaces Ribs point total. We are missing Verby's 50 points. The only place I see that made up is through our production on D collectively, Domi/Lessio coming through for us, or we pick up production in a trade. The added production from forwards is wishful thinking at this point versus the D being better as a solution.

Smith, our D men, and our PK being better is our best bet at being a better team and making the playoffs. The forward group generating equal production to last year is a long shot. Our upside at forward is based on rookies making the team and performing well, so not likely.

DesertDawg

Mar 6, 2002
Superstition Mts
ridefree.net
What about taking a chance on LW David Booth?? If we can get him cheap.
I hope the Coyotes find a better option. Concussions have taken a toll on him.
Have I mention that acquiring Paajarvi for cheap may be an option. It's better than leaving him on waivers. It would be like the situation the Coyotes were in with Rundblad. One-way contract, depth where he fits in, younger players pushing him, playing him on the 4th line. The biggest question is if he is worth $1.4mil. Can see him paired with Vermette and Boedker.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I'm not sure why you and others think we are so screwed on the front end. We have young talent, and if they can translate that talent to the NHL level of play then we are fine. Plus we do still have 4 years of luck and grinding to put ourselves into the playoffs and not another city.

I have more faith in Lessio than most, but I feel like he could come in and put up ~30 points (15 goals, 15 assists) while playing a 200 foot game. He put up 54 in 69 on a bad Portland team, 29 of them were goals. If he can bring his speed and goal scoring this season, we could easily have half of the goals we'll be losing from Vrbata.

Then there is Max Domi, who put up 93 in 61 with London. His size and maturity are certainly a concern but he has the speed and creativity to excel at the NHL level, its just a matter of when. If he can come in and put up near the 47 points we are losing from Ribeiro then we don't have a whole lot to worry about.

These are just the two I think will make the squad, there is still Samuelsson and Rieder who could find themselves in the fold if they show they're ready.

Now, I'll give you credit in none of these four possibly being ready this season, in which case we will have a bit of a problem. For now, I'm optimistic that one or two of these kids can make the cut and bring in some of the scoring we lost.

Did you forget about the addition of Gagne?

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I hope the Coyotes find a better option. Concussions have taken a toll on him.
Have I mention that acquiring Paajarvi for cheap may be an option. It's better than leaving him on waivers. It would be like the situation the Coyotes were in with Rundblad. One-way contract, depth where he fits in, younger players pushing him, playing him on the 4th line. The biggest question is if he is worth $1.4mil. Can see him paired with Vermette and Boedker.

He may be worth the gamble. He looked promising after his first year, then nothing.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Did you forget about the addition of Gagne?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad