2014 - 2015 Coyotes Roster Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
That I agree with. By the way I like Vrbata and how he played and fit in with teammates. That is a problem for budget teams, you really have to have all players pulling the rope at the same time for any chance at success. You can't afford to make any mistakes personal wise or the team fails. I still think Ribeiro was that mistake last year and brought the team down with himself. That's why I like some of this year's moves. All seem to be great teammates who work hard for each other. I do worry about the lack of scoring but think the defensive side will be batter than last year.

See, there's always some common ground Baby! :laugh:

You certainly aren't alone re: Ribeiro - partly why I rail on what I believe to be a huge mistake, with such bravado.

We better hope the D's a LOT better at this point because scoring looks minimal at best. I honestly see us as a bottom five at this point - personel wise - only a stellar Smith and "all pulling" in sync will help with what we currently have.

Another thing to consider is that scoring puts butts in the seats.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
I think DM is staying to his word of getting younger and faster. I think he wanted to do it last year but the kids weren't quite ready.

Honestly, I hope so. I like Lessio a LOT and hope he can stick with the club, even in a 3rd line role. I honestly believe he will be a 20 goal 50 point guy who can play a 200 foot game. I'm really excited to see what he can do with a full season.

I respectively have less hope for Domi this season and feel like we won't see his true NHL potential for another 3ish years. He may be on the squad this year, but I just don't see him making an impact. If Samuelson can get his foot speed up, I think he'll be a great 2nd liner as well.

Actually, a cool trade would be Simmonds for Samuelsson + Korpikoski + 2nd.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Here's how we currently stand.

CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER
CapGeek Armchair GM Roster
FORWARDS
Shane Doan ($5.300m) / Sam Gagner ($3.200m) / Martin Erat ($4.500m)
Max Domi ($0.894m) / Antoine Vermette ($3.750m) / Mikkel Boedker ($2.550m)
Brandon McMillan ($0.745m) / Martin Hanzal ($3.100m) / Lauri Korpikoski ($2.500m)
Kyle Chipchura ($0.875m) / Joe Vitale ($1.117m) / B.J. Crombeen ($1.150m)
Rob Klinkhammer ($0.625m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Oliver Ekman-Larsson ($5.500m) / Zbynek Michalek ($4.000m)
Keith Yandle ($5.250m) / Michael Stone ($1.150m)
Brandon Gormley ($0.840m) / Connor Murphy ($0.863m)
David Schlemko ($1.188m) / Chris Summers ($0.600m)
GOALTENDERS
Mike Smith ($5.667m)
Devan Dubnyk ($0.800m)
BUYOUTS
Mike Ribeiro ($1.944m)
BONUS OVERAGE
$0
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $69,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $58,107,753; BONUSES: $1,187,500
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $10,892,247

On the top line, I think Doan and Erat are the two best options for Gagner. Two guys who like to shoot the puck meshes well with Gagner's playmaking abilities.

Vermette/Boedker had chemistry last season. Domi has the speed to keep pace with them. Both are also polished defensively (Vermette moreso than Boedker) so that should be a good transition for Domi as a pro.

Third line has a bit of size and can be used in a PK role. Ideally, we upgrade Korpikoski for someone with a bit more offensive abilities.

Fourth line, plenty of energy. I think the Vitale/Crombeen combo will be contagious to Chipchura and will weed out any inconsistencies he has when it comes to showing up.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I like Korpi. We need him for our PK. A minor upgrade in points total probably would be more than offset by a loss in defensive prowess.

albertabound

Jan 25, 2008
Good morning, hope everyone enjoyed July 4th. I looked on cap geek and don't see any of our players signed yet? MacMillan , Moss, Halpern, Biz I would of thought these guys would of been pick up by now. Does anyone know if Coyotes maybe are talking and resigning a couple of these?

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
McMillan is a RFA so he has been extended a qualifying offer. No reason why he wouldn't accept it. It's for a shade under $750,000.

Moss, Halpern, and Bissonnette won't be re-signed in Arizona.

SweYote

Jun 7, 2011
Lund, Sweden
Good morning, hope everyone enjoyed July 4th. I looked on cap geek and don't see any of our players signed yet? MacMillan , Moss, Halpern, Biz I would of thought these guys would of been pick up by now. Does anyone know if Coyotes maybe are talking and resigning a couple of these?

McMillan have been qualified and will be back. Moss and Halpern certainly will not, Biz probably not.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Yeah...everyone else in the league knows that Moss, Halpern and Biz aren't really NHL players.

Halpern is done I think
Moss I'd think gets a job late after everyone figures out what they've got
Biz, unsure whether he gets a contract. Good fighter, better tweeter

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
If money is tight, then we need to trade the players that can be replaced and possibly with a better player.

Michalek is a hard one to replace. If we need money, then let's trade Korpi and replace him with Lessio and then let's trade Schlemko and replace him with a $600k version and with those two, we've saved close to $3m.

And I'd argue that Lessio can replace Korpi's 20+pts last season pretty effectively and certainly the $600k dman can accomplish equal to Schlemko.

On the other hand, a $1m replacement for Michalek would undoubtedly not come close to what Z brings.

Just like this past year, I'd much rather have traded Erat/Korpi to keep Vrbata...and these are the hard things that GMDM needs to do to keep the Coyotes moving forward.

Z is getting older and I think he will accept a lower contract for 3yrs the season after next. We keep the veteran D we need and allows the youngsters time to mature and gives some draft picks time to see if they can replace Z's responsibility.

DesertDawg

Mar 6, 2002
Superstition Mts
ridefree.net
I think Korpi will bounce back. It wouldn't surprise me if he has a career year playing along side of Gagner. And I don't think he would get a good enough return to offset losing him. The team needs are at LW. Z (last year on his contract) on the other hand, hopefully, can be adequately replaced internally, as long as the return is there.

Kaizen

Sep 30, 2004
Prince George B.C.
There might be hope for all you Schlemko haters - Benning has been rounding up some of Desjardins former players from Med Hat. He might have some interest in Schemko :dunno: only time will tell.

letowskie

Aug 16, 2002
In your worst nighmare
Visit site
I think Korpi will bounce back. It wouldn't surprise me if he has a career year playing along side of Gagner. And I don't think he would get a good enough return to offset losing him. The team needs are at LW. Z (last year on his contract) on the other hand, hopefully, can be adequately replaced internally, as long as the return is there.

Z cannot be replaced, there isn't even anyone with the same skill set on the RH side in the organization.

Korpi would be far easier to replace, basically a streaking player that avg around 15G and 30+ pts, actually a lot teams have rookies on ELC to fill a role like that. He simply isn't worth the money at all, especially considering his salary adding 1M or so would be able to resign Vrby, a far more critical player on the team.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Assuming DM wants to bring in better players, he will have to pay them more or assume higher salaries. The only way to do this is reduce payroll. The problem is, so many teams have the same problem with mediocre players they want to get rid of, but no takers. Guys like Schlemko, Korpi, Klink/Chip can't even be dumped for picks to clear space, nobody wants them.

I think DM is going to wait and see if another Gagner slips through the cracks. Even that trade involved us sending a pick back not a player as again, the other team was clearing cap space. In the mean time, I will be interested to see how many players we can get rid of, regardless of value received, just to clear cap space. This does 2 things, it allows young guys to get the minutes and puts us in a position to take on the right player/contract.

DesertDawg

Mar 6, 2002
Superstition Mts
ridefree.net
Z cannot be replaced, there isn't even anyone with the same skill set on the RH side in the organization.

Korpi would be far easier to replace, basically a streaking player that avg around 15G and 30+ pts, actually a lot teams have rookies on ELC to fill a role like that. He simply isn't worth the money at all, especially considering his salary adding 1M or so would be able to resign Vrby, a far more critical player on the team.
$4mil/
1 year left
the games played /year is diminishing-only played 59 games last season

The team needs to get a LW and you want to trade one? And who will we trade to replace Korpi? And why are you talking about re-signing Vrbata, he is not a Coyote!

letowskie

Aug 16, 2002
In your worst nighmare
Visit site
$4mil/
1 year left
the games played /year is diminishing-only played 59 games last season

The team needs to get a LW and you want to trade one? And who will we trade to replace Korpi? And why are you talking about re-signing Vrbata, he is not a Coyote!

Replacing what Korpi brings? Lessio likely would be able to handle that with some seasoning (half a season). He doesn't really bring much scoring, hockey-sense, or decision making. His main asset is speed, which a lot young players would be able to provide for far cheaper, and tenacity, which is matter of development. He's basically not someone that can be placed on a scoring line, and yet makes so much, so that it would be enough to prevent us from acquiring a scoring forward if the budget is at 55-57M. Trading him for some futures, or a cheaper player that can do the same would be a no-brainer.

DesertDawg

Mar 6, 2002
Superstition Mts
ridefree.net
Replacing what Korpi brings? Lessio likely would be able to handle that with some seasoning (half a season). He doesn't really bring much scoring, hockey-sense, or decision making. His main asset is speed, which a lot young players would be able to provide for far cheaper, and tenacity, which is matter of development. He's basically not someone that can be placed on a scoring line, and yet makes so much, so that it would be enough to prevent us from acquiring a scoring forward if the budget is at 55-57M. Trading him for some futures, or a cheaper player that can do the same would be a no-brainer.

So the Coyotes are weak on the left side and you are advocating rookies and to dump a veteran? And how does the $2.3mil keep the Coyotes from acquiring a Scoring forward that could help the Coyotes win more games than with Korpi in the line-up? I will stand by my prediction that Korpi will have a career year (at least >35).
I also believe that the budget seems to be a lot less than what Gosbee 1st hinted it to be. But between the $11,666,667 buy out, the threat of expansion (and leaving players exposed), and the fickled fan based, management is being cautious and sees how this all plays out.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Assuming DM wants to bring in better players, he will have to pay them more or assume higher salaries. The only way to do this is reduce payroll. The problem is, so many teams have the same problem with mediocre players they want to get rid of, but no takers. Guys like Schlemko, Korpi, Klink/Chip can't even be dumped for picks to clear space, nobody wants them.

I think DM is going to wait and see if another Gagner slips through the cracks. Even that trade involved us sending a pick back not a player as again, the other team was clearing cap space. In the mean time, I will be interested to see how many players we can get rid of, regardless of value received, just to clear cap space. This does 2 things, it allows young guys to get the minutes and puts us in a position to take on the right player/contract.

How do you know no one wants Schemko, Korpi, Klink or Chip? I think there is a market for Schlemko and especially Korpi.

letowskie

Aug 16, 2002
In your worst nighmare
Visit site
So the Coyotes are weak on the left side and you are advocating rookies and to dump a veteran? And how does the $2.3mil keep the Coyotes from acquiring a Scoring forward that could help the Coyotes win more games than with Korpi in the line-up? I will stand by my prediction that Korpi will have a career year (at least >35).

He has only regressed from his two two decent seasons, with no sign of improving. And you think he will somehow get better after our top scorers have left, and have to rely on a player that's just learning our system coming from Edmon, like Gagner to replace those guys?

You are basically taking this on faith, on your belief that Korpi is somehow going to do better than he's shown lately, it really has nothing to do with reality. He has scored 36 pts in the last 100 games; that makes him a marginal 3rd liner (not even a solid 3rd line player) on most teams. He does fine on PK, and fore-checking, but that only goes so far.

I also believe that the budget seems to be a lot less than what Gosbee 1st hinted it to be. But between the $11,666,667 buy out, the threat of expansion (and leaving players exposed), and the fickled fan based, management is being cautious and sees how this all plays out.

I don't really know what's going on there. Whether the failed playoff push has anything to do with the seeming change. But all I'm saying is that if that is the real budget for the next few years, then we cannot afford to keep someone like Korpi on the roster, when he will be making 3M soon. I'm not saying that we should get rid of him when our budget is like 64M (which looks less likely). But we cannot continue to pay a marginal 3rd liner that much, when guys like Vermette, Z, Yandle, etc; are high priorities to be extended next, provided the budget is indeed 55-57.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Facts are Facts

Z is not replaceable with anyone we have in the organization, we don't have anyone who blocks that may shots who is RH that can be paired with OEL to be our shutdown line.

Korpi is replaceable by at least 2 players (Lessio/Rieder) for starters. I think McMillan could replace Korpi as well. There is at least 3 players right there.

Korpi has only scored above 35pts twice in his career in 6 seasons. The other seasons he's scored 14, 11, 11 & 25.

Now, I wouldn't want to pay Z that much money in the future, I'm suggesting a $1.5m reduction in salary for a 3yr contract. 3yrs $2.5m...he's on the wrong side of 30 and Maloney may even do better than that.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

No one for sure knows what the budget is, but from what we have heard it is less than what we first thought. The buyout and the retention on Gagne's salary by Dallas I think even out the $'s. No one talks about the extra money the Coyotes are getting from the Canadian TV rights, which as I understand it to be substantial. If there is expansion the ownership will receive millions.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003

He's an effective penalty-killer, brings offense in squirts, is the opposite of a defensive liability which most rookies aren't.
He can't be placed on a scoring line, apparently, yet he was part of the best line for the Coyotes last year with Vermette and Boedker...

If you can find a cheaper player to do the same (McMillan), at this point we should be adding them to the roster, not subtracting Korpi from it and replacing him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad