Not open for further replies.

RR

Mar 8, 2009
Cave Creek, AZ
Last edited by a moderator:

byeyimini

Sep 10, 2002
Visit site
some quick questions about Yandle...hope you guys don't mind since you watched him regularly.

That +/- last year was really out of character. What happened ? Was this his play last season or more of a reflection of the team ? Do you think this is a trend that will continue ?

Realistically, do you think he could get traded ? The asking price is clearly quite high. Seems to me that's a hole that would be very difficult to fill for the dollars.

Thanks !

Last edited:

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
some quick questions about Yandle...hope you guys don't mind since you watched him regularly.

That +/- last year was really out of character. What happened ? Was this his play last season or more of a reflection of the team ? Do you think this is a trend that will continue ?

Realistically, do you think he could get traded ? The asking price is clearly quite high. Seems to me that's a hole that would be very difficult to fill for the dollars.

Thanks !

Yandle has never been a particularly great force in his own end. It's the price of doing business with his near-elite scoring and puck-moving skills. The Coyotes did have a worse year this past season in terms of defense but you're never going to get Yandle on the good side of the +/- equation, IMO.

As to whether he could get traded, yes, he could. Ekman-Larsson is better than Yandle in just about all respects and has a higher ceiling, so Yandle is not untouchable. But he's still valuable enough to the team that you're going to need a very impressive package coming back to Arizona to pry him loose.

Sciamachy

Shadow Coyote
Jan 31, 2008
...The Coyotes did have a worse year this past season in terms of defense but you're never going to get Yandle on the good side of the +/- equation, IMO.

In the four seasons prior to this one Yandle was, +4, +5, +12, +16. Otherwise I do agree with what you said.

Jakeman

Sep 11, 2008
Yandle is a great skating,puckhandling defencmen, because of this he sometimes get caught out of postition but often has the speed to get back into his own zone. He is a good passer and gets the puck out of his end quick. Ilike him alot but I feel he might be the one d that gets dangled for some scoring because of his value.
It will take a good trade to get him... otherwise he stays put which I'm perfectly happy with.:):)

cobra427

May 6, 2012
In the four seasons prior to this one Yandle was, +4, +5, +12, +16. Otherwise I do agree with what you said.

So he went from +16 to -24, that is a 40 point swing. Does he all of a sudden suck really bad on D? No, this is why that stat is so misleading. Maybe DMO and all the shuffling was part of the problem too. Yandle is an average defender, not horrible, but his puck moving skills negate his average D. I personally would like to see Verby signed, Domi make the squad and produce, Ribs rebound, and see us pick up another top 6 forward. I wonder what Yandles production would be like with talented forwards, 3 solid lines, it might be close to karrlson numbers. I would like to see it.

Fathead

Jan 9, 2010
Scottsdale AZ

Thanks !

I think half of the -23 came from being on the ice from empty net goals.

Last edited:

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
So he went from +16 to -24, that is a 40 point swing. Does he all of a sudden suck really bad on D? No, this is why that stat is so misleading. Maybe DMO and all the shuffling was part of the problem too. Yandle is an average defender, not horrible, but his puck moving skills negate his average D. I personally would like to see Verby signed, Domi make the squad and produce, Ribs rebound, and see us pick up another top 6 forward. I wonder what Yandles production would be like with talented forwards, 3 solid lines, it might be close to karrlson numbers. I would like to see it.

I guess the overarching point I was trying to make is that you don't have a Yandle for defense. You have a Yandle to provide offense from the point and to get the puck distributed to the open man in the slot. He's going to cost the team goals but he'll make it back by creating them in the other end.

A team with good defense will benefit greatly from having Yandle around. A team with poor defense will not be improved much with him on the D corps. That's the way I see it.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ

Thanks !
It was definitely out of character, Yandle hadn't had a negative +/- season since his first full year in the NHL back in 08-09. While no one will ever confuse him for a shutdown D, he's usually at least decent defensively while providing elite level offensive capabilities. For various reasons the Coyotes in general just did not have their defensive game this year, in fact I think most would agree the team wasn't even average defensively.

As for being traded, it's certainly a possibility but it'll take a lot. Not only is this an elite level offensive defenseman (Protip: they're rare) but he's also shown tremendously loyalty to the franchise (probably a bigger deal here than most places), is signed to a reasonable contract, huge positive in the locker room and last but not least he's extremely durable, he's coming off his 5th straight season in which he didn't miss a single game. Oh and he's only 28, so yeah...it's going to take a bit of a ransom to lure him out of Phoenix.

Last edited:

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I think I remember somewhere, someone theorized that Brayden Schenn might be available for some reason or another.

Not anymore - Flyers just resigned him to a multi-year deal.

DesertDawg

Mar 6, 2002
Superstition Mts
ridefree.net
I think I remember somewhere, someone theorized that Brayden Schenn might be available for some reason or another.

I thought he would sign for more. The speculation was started from the Flyers fan base because of trying to get Laughton a roster spot. They are at $69 mil and 19 roster spots. They can go over the cap 10% during pre-season but must be cap compliant when the season starts then they can put Pronger on LTIR.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site

Thanks !

In the 4 games after he didn't make Olympic team he went about a -12. During the last month of the season he was on the ice for about 12 empty net goals against.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto

They got him at a good price too. 5 mil over 2 yrs.

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ

Yeah, like that matters to the Flyers. Jeff Carter had an 11 year, lifetime deal in place with them. They traded him before year one.

Paul Holmgren was not afraid to make bold moves. I don't get the feeling Hextall will be either.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Yeah, like that matters to the Flyers. Jeff Carter had an 11 year, lifetime deal in place with them. They traded him before year one.

Paul Holmgren was not afraid to make bold moves. I don't get the feeling Hextall will be either.

Good point - except the standard Flyers' June 23rd date of trading guys signed to long-term contracts to other teams is about over, so we'll have to see if Schenn gets moved next year!

letowskie

Aug 16, 2002
In your worst nighmare
Visit site

Yandle for Schenn + is not looking too bad right now; given that Schenn's income right now is a seriously huge bargain. That's especially the case if he is given a bigger role, and improve his production from the last couple of years; maybe say with Rib and Doan?

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Yandle for Schenn + is not looking too bad right now; given that Schenn's income right now is a seriously huge bargain. That's especially the case if he is given a bigger role, and improve his production from the last couple of years; maybe say with Rib and Doan?

Didn't he struggle to play wing though? Unless you're talking about moving Ribs to wing, at which point I'm against the idea.

Looking at everything at this point, I say we just sign both Penner and Setoguchi to identical 2 year, $2.5m contracts. Tell Vrbata to take a hike if his demands are that big. Trade Korpikoski and Klinkhammer to Edmonton or any other team looking for 3rd/4th liners like them for a 2015 3rd or 4th. That also leaves us space to sign Niskanen to play top pairing. Give him a contract nearly identical to what we gave Yandle.

Doan (5.05) - Vermette (3.75) - Boedker (2.75)
Penner (2.5) - Ribeiro (5.5) - Setoguchi (2.5)
Domi (0.925) - Hanzal (3.25) - Erat (2.25)
Lessio (0.868) - UFA (1.4) - McMillan (0.8)

OEL (4) - Niskanen (4.75)
Yandle (5.5) - Michalek (4)
Gormley (0.81) - Stone (1.45)
Schlemko (1.275) - Summers (0.575)

Smith (6)
UFA (1)

Puts us at $60.078m with 12 forwards, 8 defenseman, and 2 goaltenders. Right in the middle of the cap, which is about what was explained to us.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Schenn faded badly down the stretch last season scoring only 4 goals the final 2 months of the season. I like him but he's still a bit unproven, it would really depend on what the + would be but I suspect it wouldn't be enough.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Schenn faded badly down the stretch last season scoring only 4 goals the final 2 months of the season. I like him but he's still a bit unproven, it would really depend on what the + would be but I suspect it wouldn't be enough.

Yandle is not going to be traded for Schenn and parts. Yandle is a young established PMD on a nice contract. For that, we will get a 25 year old or less forward like Hall/ROR, not parts. I will be stunned of he is traded for anything less then a young top 3 forward in the NHL.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Yandle is not going to be traded for Schenn and parts. Yandle is a young established PMD on a nice contract. For that, we will get a 25 year old or less forward like Hall/ROR, not parts. I will be stunned of he is traded for anything less then a young top 3 forward in the NHL.
The window to acquire Hall has probably passed but in general yes I agree with you. Yandle is proven, in his prime, good contract, durable, elite offensively, great in the locker room, etc. etc. and in my opinion that should return a legit first line player, a very very good "second" line player (e.g. ROR) or an absolute ridiculous package of prospects/picks all of which qualify as what DM likes to call "A assets". If it can't then you don't trade him, I really think it's that simple. That said I've been a Yotes fan long enough never to assume anything.

Last edited:

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I normally advocate against trading established value for potential value, but that proposed Red Wing trade is pretty damn good. I mean, Mantha has 40 or even 50 goal potential, to me. He reminds me of Perry quite a bit. He scored a goal a game in the Q.

If you're going to reorganize around younger talent like OEL, the other D, Boedker etc... that's the way to do it. If you got 15 overall in the trade you could potentially flip that to Winnipeg with some assets for Kane, as an example. Or just use the money freed up to overpay Vanek.

What would be the 'wrong' move at this point would be a lateral trade involving Yandle for someone around his age and pay grade. That's not going to do the team any good, and Maloney should be chastised for it if it happens. The franchise is long past the Krejci for Yandle swap or anything of the sort.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
XX just made a 3 paragraph post that I agree with entirely. I just want to warn everyone about the plague of locusts that should be arriving any moment. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad