2014 - 2015 Coyotes Roster Part 13

Status
Not open for further replies.

DesertDawg

Mar 6, 2002
Superstition Mts
ridefree.net
My understanding is that Savard counts against the cap in the summer. The Bruins aren't able to put him on LTIR until opening night, at which time he wouldn't count against the cap. You can go 10% above the cap in the summer, but the Bruins may need the added space of no Savard as early as this summer.
You are correct and the only reason why the Bruins would need it is for wanting additional flexibility (like signing Hamilton and other free agents). I wouldn't want to give them that extra flexibility. I would rather have the Coyotes sign Soderberg and/or McQuaid than make a trade with the Bruins before free agency starts. I can't see them giving up a decent asset just for that flexibility.
The Bruins would want to trade Savard before free agency starts.

getting to the cap floor shouldn't be an issue

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Craig Morgan: Moss's Coyotes tenure may be nearing its end

"His greatest value comes in (that) he does a lot of things well to protect leads," Coyotes coach Dave Tippett said. "He doesn't make a lot of mistakes. That being said, those kind of players' value goes way up when you have leads to protect. We've been on the short end of that this year, hence his value has been lessened."

Moss is well liked and respected in the Coyotes' locker room -- a player known for his affability. He will get a better read on his future during exit interviews with the coaching staff and GM Don Maloney, but with the Coyotes in rebuilding mode and Tippett's comments about Moss's value as backdrop, it seems likely he'll be hunting for a new team next season -- in the NHL or abroad.

Let's get Patrick Eaves to replace Moss. Speedier and better on offense.

Last edited:

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
No thanks.

We're going to sign veteran UFAs this offseason. Eaves is definitely one of the better and cheaper options available if he can stay healthy. And he hasn't looked out of place playing with Seguin and Benn on Dallas's top line, so he's not a black hole on offense like Moss was.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
with the Coyotes in rebuilding mode and Tippett's comments about Moss's value as backdrop, it seems likely he'll be hunting for a new team next season

He must not read our board because he doesn't he realize that Tippet loves Moss and would probably play him over Ovechkin. :sarcasm:

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
He must not read our board because he doesn't he realize that Tippet loves Moss and would probably play him over Ovechkin. :sarcasm:

If Tippet is actually willing to play the rookies and give them the opportunities to succeed (though expecting more than like 3 is wishful thinking, for any team/coach), then I welcome him back with open arms. He's a top 5 coach in the NHL imo

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
How many rookies are we looking at?

I see 3 or 4 at forward. Not sure if there is enough room for both Lessio and Hank Sam.

1. McEichel (hopefully!)
2. Domi
3. Duclair
4. Lessio/Hank Sam

On D, likely 1:

1. Dahlbeck
2. Gormley (if not traded)
3. Philip Samuelsson (likely AHL)

Overall, a lot of these guys are 22/23 years old and have already gotten their feet wet in the NHL. The only real "raw" one of the group is Domi, and McEichel (crosses fingers).

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
How many rookies are we looking at?

I think Duclair may bounce between the AHL and NHL depending on how the offseason goes. Honestly Domi may be up and down as well. I don't see why Hank can't spend another year in the AHL to begin dominating and gaining confidence. There's no reason to force these kids into the NHL. I want to see them playing next year, but I would rather see them excel. If they can excel in the AHL but not the NHL then that is where I want to see them. I can wait another year. Fingers crossed they make an impact immediately cause this team is going to be very fun to watch, very soon.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Overall, a lot of these guys are 22/23 years old and have already gotten their feet wet in the NHL. The only real "raw" one of the group is Domi, and McEichel (crosses fingers).

Duke is pretty raw too. He produced in his 18 game stint with the Rangers, but he was certainly weak on offense and in board play.

Right now in order of likelihood I'd say its Lessio, Domi, Duclair, and then Hank. Obviously McEichel jumps to the head of the line if we're fortunate enough.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I don't think Lessio has a future on the NHL club here. Whether he got a fair shot or not isn't so relevant when there's simply too many other guys ahead of him on the chart.

Maybe he gets a shot early if someone else doesn't make the team out of camp but I don't expect he'll stick.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
I don't think Lessio has a future on the NHL club here. Whether he got a fair shot or not isn't so relevant when there's simply too many other guys ahead of him on the chart.

Maybe he gets a shot early if someone else doesn't make the team out of camp but I don't expect he'll stick.

I agree. And while I think he will be an NHL'er we have enough wingers. Honestly next year may be his last chance with AZ. He could be an effective 4th liner for sure, but I think he has the abilities to have a larger role than that so it shouldn't be wasted there. Hopefully he gets in a lot of games early next year before all of Domi/Duclair/Hank make the team.

Perlini is still my vote as a darkhorse to make the team out of camp and stick.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
I think Lessio turned a bit of a corner this season, enough anyways to indicate he could be a decent middle 6 winger. But yes, he's probably the most movable of all our wingers (especially given our LH winger depth).

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville

Lessio-Vitale is 2/3rds of a good 4th line.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
If the middle 6 wasn't penciled in with tons of youth already that might make sense. I don't believe this team would actually go into a new season with that much youth at once unless Tippet gets his walking papers or they mutually part.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
If the middle 6 wasn't penciled in with tons of youth already that might make sense. I don't believe this team would actually go into a new season with that much youth at once unless Tippet gets his walking papers or they mutually part.

My thoughts...

Doan-McEichel:crossfing-Boedker
Rieder-Hanzal-Gagner
Domi-BigVetC-Duclair
Lessio-Vitale-Mike Brown(or similar)

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ

Reider - McEichel (please please) - Boedker
Domi - Vermette (!!) - Duclair
Doan - Hanzal - Gagner
Lessio - Vitale - Eaves

Given Vermette's subpar showing in Chicago thus far, I think resigning him to a reasonable deal has become more possible this summer.

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
Reider - McEichel (please please) - Boedker
Domi - Vermette (!!) - Duclair
Doan - Hanzal - Gagner
Lessio - Vitale - Eaves

I think we need to move on from Vermette. He's been pitiful in CHI and his last couple months here wen't the greatest either. Don't really want to commit the money and terms he is going to want. Plus I think we need to change the culture in the locker room.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
No thanks on Vermette. I'd overpay Soderberg before touching him.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
If Soda does hit the market, he should be our #1 UFA target. But the pickings go to nil beyond him and Vermette for a possible 2C.

Vermette at 3 years at 4.5-5M year is reasonable enough for me.

Last edited:

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
If Soda does hit the market, he should be our #1 UFA target. But the pickings go to nil beyond him and Vermette for a possible 2C.

Vermette at 3 years at 4.5-5M year is reasonable enough for me.

I can stomach Vermette at 3 years 5-6M to be honest. We will need to hit the floor anyways. If we can get less term for more money for him I would take it. Nothing past three years though. I don't want him blocking off Dvorak or Dauphin.

Soderberg is still a great option as well and I doubt Boston will resign him with Spooner playing alright and needing development. What would be a reasonable price/term be? Boston fans are very mixed on him and I am worried this could be his best season.

It's so hard to even discuss the roster without knowing if we are going to have a McEichel though. Everything changes without him and we need to shoot for Matthews next season.

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
I'm curious to see what happens this offseason. DM has a ton of cap space to work with to even hit the floor. There are a lot of cap stretched teams what we might be able to steal a player from.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
It's so hard to even discuss the roster without knowing if we are going to have a McEichel though. Everything changes without him and we need to shoot for Matthews next season.

Matthews is obviously a huge get but with how the first 3 picks are going to be lottery draws next season it is going to be very difficult to tank for him. We might be there anyways if we don't land a McEichel but it's something I wouldn't want to shoot for just because of how much uncertainty there will be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad