2014 - 2015 Coyotes Roster Part 13

Status
Not open for further replies.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
Fixing skating doesn't happen during season. It happens during the off-season and can take multiple off-seasons. Both Tavaras and Stamkos credit their breakout years to power skating, in Tavaras' case, he had 3 offseasons of elite power skating training.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
Fixing skating doesn't happen during season. It happens during the off-season and can take multiple off-seasons. Both Tavaras and Stamkos credit their breakout years to power skating, in Tavaras' case, he had 3 offseasons of elite power skating training.

They work with power skating coaches as needed throughout the season, it's why guys like Mark Ciacco are employed. Even if that was not the case.... the boy's had him plenty of off seasons.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
They can work during the season but the bulk of the progress happens during the off season. It's also why players have a tough time losing and gainig weight during the season.

But yeah, it's disconcerting his skating hasn't been addressed earlier or he hasn't shown progress.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
1) Indeed, Stone was slow of foot, but had what it takes in all other aspects at his first camp and improved. Injuries? See Murphy!

2) Apparently he can't, let's face it you and I both KNOW he's had ample opportunity, just like everyone else SHOULD.

If Gormley was picked in the third round or higher, we wouldn't hear boo about him on these boards, but since he was picked high in the first round, everyone is talking from their heart and hoping he makes it. Management on the other hand couldn't care less where a player was drafted, it's all about performance.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
If Gormley was picked in the third round or higher, we wouldn't hear boo about him on these boards, but since he was picked high in the first round, everyone is talking from their heart and hoping he makes it. Management on the other hand couldn't care less where a player was drafted, it's all about performance.

Agreed

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I don't think management has given up on Gormely. You can argue opportunity but right now Gormely is in the mix for the 5-6 slot and hasn't come close to securing the top 3 role that was envisioned when he was drafted. Is he likely frustrated and does he look at potentially using this contract to demand a one way deal and attempt to force a deal for a fresh start? I would say that is likely and given the market that's shaping up Maloney may be able to flip him for a better return than the usual struggling prospect for struggling prospect moves that are typically done when a prospect fails to meet expectations.

Honestly, the acquisition of Dahlbeck has created a situation where we could afford to move Gormely. That and the likely selection of Hanifin.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I don't think management has given up on Gormely. You can argue opportunity but right now Gormely is in the mix for the 5-6 slot and hasn't come close to securing the top 3 role that was envisioned when he was drafted. Is he likely frustrated and does he look at potentially using this contract to demand a one way deal and attempt to force a deal for a fresh start? I would say that is likely and given the market that's shaping up Maloney may be able to flip him for a better return than the usual struggling prospect for struggling prospect moves that are typically done when a prospect fails to meet expectations.

Honestly, the acquisition of Dahlbeck has created a situation where we could afford to move Gormely. That and the likely selection of Hanifin.

You could 100% correct.

goyotes

May 4, 2007
Arizona
In all honesty, I would have played Gormley more after the trade deadline.

A coach's job is to put the players on the ice that give the team the best chance of winning (not that Tip has always done that, IMO). Gormley is clearly not one of those players (again, IMO).

You don't want to lose the room by continuing to play a rookie who has shown he is overmatched night after night. If I were the coach, I wouldn't be playing Gormley any more than he has been played (unless I am under orders to play him by the GM in order to prop up his trade value).

I personally think it is best for both Gormley and the organization that he get a chance on another team where his limitations aren't as obvious.

goyotes

May 4, 2007
Arizona
If the Coyotes failed Gormley (not saying they did) then the failure was at the AHL level for not developing him over two years to be able to play at NHL speed, or adjust his game to compensate for what he lacks in speed and quickness.

I have never been impressed with our AHL coaching staff, and would love to see a change in Springfield next year.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
If the Coyotes failed Gormley (not saying they did) then the failure was at the AHL level for not developing him over two years to be able to play at NHL speed, or adjust his game to compensate for what he lacks in speed and quickness.

I have never been impressed with our AHL coaching staff, and would love to see a change in Springfield next year.

I agree completely. Portland just always seemed really underwhelming.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
A coach's job is to put the players on the ice that give the team the best chance of winning (not that Tip has always done that, IMO). Gormley is clearly not one of those players (again, IMO).

You don't want to lose the room by continuing to play a rookie who has shown he is overmatched night after night. If I were the coach, I wouldn't be playing Gormley any more than he has been played (unless I am under orders to play him by the GM in order to prop up his trade value).

I personally think it is best for both Gormley and the organization that he get a chance on another team where his limitations aren't as obvious.

Your right and I agree. I guess I was just trying to please the posters that are big supporters of Gormley.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Yeah, not a fan of our AHL coaching staff, at all. That would be the only negative I have with DM.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Pirates have been very good this year. Prospects developing. Reider, Samuellson, (second half he put up good numbers), heck even the much milaigned Martinook has progressed.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
See that's always my big mistake..... bending over backward to sugar coat everything, so as to please everyone and not create any hard feelings. :naughty:

Usually I'm not like that, but I feel sorry for the Gormley supporters, but I guess if they can't see the forest for the trees it's not my fault.:)

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Pirates have been very good this year. Prospects developing. Reider, Samuellson, (second half he put up good numbers), heck even the much milaigned Martinook has progressed.

You said it, ''this year''. I feel our farm team has under performed overall, over the years.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
You said it, ''this year''. I feel our farm team has under performed overall, over the years.

I would point out that there was a serious lack of talent as well (see decision to fire Keith Gretzky as director of scouting). Can't squeeze blood from a stone. I'm lukewarm at best on Edwards but when you look at this year when he had something to work with their was progress.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I would point out that there was a serious lack of talent as well (see decision to fire Keith Gretzky as director of scouting). Can't squeeze blood from a stone. I'm lukewarm at best on Edwards but when you look at this year when he had something to work with their was progress.

True, as an organization we are in a much better position now, than we were just a couple of years ago.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Well crap, the Canucks have extended Derek Dorsett to a 4-year deal. :-/

How about Steve Bernier or Erik Condra at 4RW?

EDIT: 2.65M/year for Dorsett. Holy ****.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad