2014-15 Training Camp Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
The scrimmages allowed us to see the skill on the club. Pre-season will be a real test for most of the young guys. I'll wait until the season for the vets who took over this scrimmage and showed why rookies are rookies.

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
I don't see how the org chooses Beaulieu or Tinordi over Bouillon, he clearly outplayed them in that game.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Okay.. And in your mind dominating the play would be forcing passes to Pacioretty every play? K

Dominating the play might not be the good way to say it...

Let's just say that a 3rd overall pick at this level, shouldn't miss easy passes and whiff on plays like Galchenyuk did. He didn't look focused today, and definitely didn't show he was worthy of stealing any spot at centerice. In the 2 scrimmages so far, he didn't show he would be an improvement over any of our top-3 guys, really.

And yeah, I know you're frustrated about Desharnais being paired with Pacioretty and Parenteau, but don't single me out, please.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I don't see how the org chooses Beaulieu or Tinordi over Bouillon, he clearly outplayed them in that game.

What did he do? Turned the puck over at the bluekine and had his shot blocked.

Not gonna evaluate the D in a glorified pond hockey game

MauriceTheGreat*

Boullion might get the final spot only because they probably don't want one of Tinordi or Beaulieu riding the bench.

I didn't like any D-men today. They all looked pretty bad, hard to single anyone out. I don't blame them, it's difficult to play at a high level when you don't want to injure your teammates. The forwards took advantage of the D's passivity. We'll get a better judge of the D during the pre-season.

Only Bouillon looked good. :)

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Another thing. It's clear a kid won't get the #7 spot, and rightfully so. I want young guys playing as much as possible.

And if our options are Bouillon or Drewiske, I still pick Bouillon 10 times out of 10. Man is Drewiske ever a bad player.

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
"Wah wah wah, Desharnais sucks!"
"Wah wah wah, Parenteau can't work on a line with Pacioretty and Desharnais"
"Wah wah wah, it was just an intra-squad scrimmage, against AHLers and junior players..."

Newsflash haters, EVERY other line was playing against AHLers and junior players, and they didn't do half as good as this line. It's a very good combination that's going to be very productive for us, whether you like it or not.

Otherwise, Galchenyuk has to get his head straight. Didn't look "there" every shift today, whiffed on easy passes and just looked disinterested at times.

We saw the best and the worst of Gilbert. When he has a man on his back, man is it tough for him to get free and win his battles. Whenever he has the puck on his stick though and that we're in possession, he's a clever player.

Our 4th line is going to be lovely, but I'd like coaches to remind Prust he's a blue-collar, not a finesse player.

Among Pateryn, Tinordi and Beaulieu, I couldn't single out one player who did significantly better than the other 2 today, even though I think Tinordi looked more "NHL-ready" than the other two. Beaulieu didn't do too bad neither. Pateryn had a couple of bad turnovers.

Among forwards, I think JDLR showed what he could give to this team today. Sekac is clever with the puck, but looked nervous at times. Andrighetto was MIA.

Fucale looked very good today. Kid looks focus all the time.

I wish Scherbak would've played.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Dominating the play might not be the good way to say it...

Let's just say that a 3rd overall pick at this level, shouldn't miss easy passes and whiff on plays like Galchenyuk did. He didn't look focused today, and definitely didn't show he was worthy of stealing any spot at centerice. In the 2 scrimmages so far, he didn't show he would be an improvement over any of our top-3 guys, really.

And yeah, I know you're frustrated about Desharnais being paired with Pacioretty and Parenteau, but don't single me out, please.

Its a scrimmage man.. Even PK let ****ing Sorkin dangle to the net..

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
This was the exact type of game DD shines in. Playoffs not so much.

Agree, this sort of game -- given enough time and space Desharnais passes the puck well. When the energy and physicality ramps up his effectiveness plummets.

Another thing. It's clear a kid won't get the #7 spot, and rightfully so. I want young guys playing as much as possible.

And if our options are Bouillon or Drewiske, I still pick Bouillon 10 times out of 10. Man is Drewiske ever a bad player.

I like one of Tinordi or Beaulieu on LD, and Pateryn on RD, Weaver as the 7th D. Don't need another old depth guy like Cube.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Shutting Bergeron down isnt shinning? I feel like people only look at score sheets. First two series he was the best player on his line while Vanek/patches floated.

he's the Habs 1st line C, his job is to get goals and assists...

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Anyways.. Reading into veteran performance in a scrimmage is as useless as it gets. This is only an area to see how the young kids play off veterans and try to establish themselves as candidates for pre season.

Reading into individual performance is not something you should do in scrimmages, but trying to look at chemestry between players is something you can do. And there are two lines that showed instant chemestry; Malhotra's and Desharnais's.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Well, that wasn't too exciting.

Thought Bournival looked good among those fighting for a roster spot. Most of the others looked middling. Hudon continues to display superior passing skills and hockey IQ, but he definitely needs seasoning. Moar strength.

I was disappointed with McCarron. Although I won't blame him for not developing anything offensively (his line was not exactly primed for that), I do not think he showed much positive outside of one nice hit on Frankie. Either it was nerves or he couldn't keep up, I dunno.

Otherwise, 1st line made up, fourth line as well. Galchenyuk had some nice shifts, others lacking.

Pre-season is where tis at. I will return to hibernation.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Reading into individual performance is not something you should do in scrimmages, but trying to look at chemestry between players is something you can do. And there are two lines that showed instant chemestry; Malhotra's and Desharnais's.

Plekanec line as well.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Anyways.. Reading into veteran performance in a scrimmage is as useless as it gets. This is only an area to see how the young kids play off veterans and try to establish themselves as candidates for pre season.

True. Even rookie performances needs to be taken with a grain of salt...imagine vets. Right now, the battle is only for the guys who are trying to win a spot in real preseason game. The vets would actually NOT play those games....

But then even the ones who struggle WILL play preseason games, namely guys like Dumont, Beaulieu and Nygren. You might actually see guys that have better intra-squad games NOT play next week than those 3 who clearly struggle.

I know that personnally, I would cut McCarron and send him in Juniors after tomorrow's game. Grégoire needs a better game tomorrow if not, he might go as well. But I would give Fucale and Scherbak 1 or 2 games before I send them down.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

The kids are super hard to assess as well.
Instinct and mobility are pretty much all you can get a read on.
For the rest it's akin to a firemans training drill without an actual fire. :laugh:
Things will heat up early next week...

Hope Of Glory

May 24, 2009
North Shore
"Wah wah wah, Desharnais sucks!"
"Wah wah wah, Parenteau can't work on a line with Pacioretty and Desharnais"
"Wah wah wah, it was just an intra-squad scrimmage, against AHLers and junior players..."

Newsflash haters, EVERY other line was playing against AHLers and junior players, and they didn't do half as good as this line. It's a very good combination that's going to be very productive for us, whether you like it or not.

Otherwise, Galchenyuk has to get his head straight. Didn't look "there" every shift today, whiffed on easy passes and just looked disinterested at times.

We saw the best and the worst of Gilbert. When he has a man on his back, man is it tough for him to get free and win his battles. Whenever he has the puck on his stick though and that we're in possession, he's a clever player.

Our 4th line is going to be lovely, but I'd like coaches to remind Prust he's a blue-collar, not a finesse player.

Among Pateryn, Tinordi and Beaulieu, I couldn't single out one player who did significantly better than the other 2 today, even though I think Tinordi looked more "NHL-ready" than the other two. Beaulieu didn't do too bad neither. Pateryn had a couple of bad turnovers.

Among forwards, I think JDLR showed what he could give to this team today. Sekac is clever with the puck, but looked nervous at times. Andrighetto was MIA.

Fucale looked very good today. Kid looks focus all the time.

I wish Scherbak would've played.

Wow :laugh: I don't even think I saw much people mention that DD's performance was against AHLer beside you.

Also, Bournival was pretty good today, almost alone on his line and scoring on a solid wrister. But I guess that doesn't count since you already wrote him of the team for whatever reason fits your agenda. I'd guess because he can't fight. Yeah, I'll go for that.

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
Shutting Bergeron down isnt shinning? I feel like people only look at score sheets. First two series he was the best player on his line while Vanek/patches floated.

This excuse again.

No matterwhat you say, what we expect DD in the role he is playing is production because he's playing on the first offensive line. Getting 1 point more than 4th line Weise is not nothing impressive.

Stop finding excuse for him. He was clearly not good enough. Let's say things like it is.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Wow :laugh: I don't even think I saw much people mention that DD's performance was against AHLer beside you.

Also, Bournival was pretty good today, almost alone on his line and scoring on a solid wrister. But I guess that doesn't count since you already wrote him of the team for whatever reason fits your agenda. I'd guess because he can't fight. Yeah, I'll go for that.

First of all, if you could read at the level of a 3rd grader, you'd notice that I talked about the line combo performance, rather than the individual performance of Desharnais.

As for Bournival, I'm not a fan of players who only have speed to show in their game. He has no hands, no creativity, no finish, and he's not a physical player. We're not a team that relies on many natural goal scorers neither. So having all of Prust, Weise, Malhotra and him on our bottom-6 is too much. We need offense spread through the whole lineup.

But whatever... Keep believing what you want, I won't lose any sleep over what some weirdos on a message board think of my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad