2014-15 Training Camp Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GREMLIN

Tanking enthusiast
Sep 19, 2013
"Wah wah wah, Desharnais sucks!"
"Wah wah wah, Parenteau can't work on a line with Pacioretty and Desharnais"
"Wah wah wah, it was just an intra-squad scrimmage, against AHLers and junior players..."

Newsflash haters, EVERY other line was playing against AHLers and junior players, and they didn't do half as good as this line. It's a very good combination that's going to be very productive for us, whether you like it or not.

Otherwise, Galchenyuk has to get his head straight. Didn't look "there" every shift today, whiffed on easy passes and just looked disinterested at times.

We saw the best and the worst of Gilbert. When he has a man on his back, man is it tough for him to get free and win his battles. Whenever he has the puck on his stick though and that we're in possession, he's a clever player.

Our 4th line is going to be lovely, but I'd like coaches to remind Prust he's a blue-collar, not a finesse player.

Among Pateryn, Tinordi and Beaulieu, I couldn't single out one player who did significantly better than the other 2 today, even though I think Tinordi looked more "NHL-ready" than the other two. Beaulieu didn't do too bad neither. Pateryn had a couple of bad turnovers.

Among forwards, I think JDLR showed what he could give to this team today. Sekac is clever with the puck, but looked nervous at times. Andrighetto was MIA.

Fucale looked very good today. Kid looks focus all the time.

I wish Scherbak would've played.

Agreed. If it was chuckie who made that play by DD on PAP's second goal everyone here would be raving about how unreal that play was and how he's so much better than DD.

The fact of the matter is DD dominated the last two scrimmages and provided Patches like only he can. I think it's likely he has his best season yet. His one knock was the play where he had a grade A scoring chance and didn't even shoot.

Chuckie didn't show much more than he did at wing the last two days, that's it. He's also 20, ITS FINE.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
This excuse again.

No matterwhat you say, what we expect DD in the role he is playing is production because he's playing on the first offensive line. Getting 1 point more than 4th line Weise is not nothing impressive.

Stop finding excuse for him. He was clearly not good enough. Let's say things like it is.

STOP SPEAKING NONSENSE! DD SUCKS! IT'S ALL THERE IS TO IT! WAH WAH WAH!!!!!

:laugh:

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Agreed. If it was chuckie who made that play by DD on PAP's second goal everyone here would be raving about how unreal that play was and how he's so much better than DD.

The fact of the matter is DD dominated the last two scrimmages and provided Patches like only he can. I think it's likely he has his best season yet. His one knock was the play where he had a grade A scoring chance and didn't even shoot.

Chuckie didn't show much more than he did at wing the last two days, that's it. He's also 20, ITS FINE.

Oh, absolutely. That's the point though. A lot of people here are ready to hand him the #1 C spot free, without knowing anything about where he's at, and what chemestry he would have with a guy like Pacioretty.

He's just not there yet.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
First of all, if you could read at the level of a 3rd grader, you'd notice that I talked about the line combo performance, rather than the individual performance of Desharnais.

As for Bournival, I'm not a fan of players who only have speed to show in their game. He has no hands, no creativity, no finish, and he's not a physical player. We're not a team that relies on many natural goal scorers neither. So having all of Prust, Weise, Malhotra and him on our bottom-6 is too much. We need offense spread through the whole lineup.

But whatever... Keep believing what you want, I won't lose any sleep over what some weirdos on a message board think of my opinion.

It's weird to see you whine about people who harp on DD, yet you take a shot at Bournival every chance you get. Bournival was by far one of the better players in this game and carried his line all by himself. You underrate him as much as others underrate DD.

Guilliam

Jul 30, 2010
Montreal
Well of course it's early and it can change but I think we can already see the lines Therrien has in mind:

Patch-DD-PAP
Chucky-Pleks-Sekac/Gallagher
Bourque-Eller-Gallagher/DLR
Prust-Manny-Weise

I think there will be very few surprises in the end, as we expected, only one of Sekanc and DLR will make the team, probably Sekac. If that's the case, he plays with Pleks and Gally plays with Eller. If DLR makes the team, he plays with Eller and Gally plays with Pleks and Chucky.

On D, neither of the 3 usual suspects have been very impressing right now, although, as it already was said, this kind of games isn't the best context to assess defensemen,especially those who thrives on physical play like Tinordi and Pateryn. But I hink Bouillon might get that contract if the youngins don't drastically raise their game during preseason.

And just waive Moen already and keep Bournival as the 13th forward.

Andrighetto-Hudon-Thomas will be expected to carry the load offensively for the dogs and the might just be the team's first line. Thomas is great in camp but I see him as being in a similar situation as Leblanc last year where the team will ask him to go back to the AHL and challenge him to do better than last year. Hopefull it turns out better for him than it did for Louis.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
It's weird to see you whine about people who harp on DD, yet you take a shot at Bournival every chance you get. Bournival was by far one of the better players in this game and carried his line all by himself. You underrate him as much as others underrate DD.

Desharnais has proved he can make our best goalscorer produce.
Bournival hasn't been a prime offensive player anywhere.

But yeah, he played great today... on the forecheck. That's what his bread and butter is. But I wouldn't count on him anywhere on the top-9.

Though the way Prust played today, you might as well put him with Malhotra and Weise on the 4th line if he's gonna keep thinking he's Sidney Crosby between the blue lines...

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
... yes. Yes he did. Had one good shift when he pushed hard to the net and looked like a monster, but otherwise, he looked incredibly tentative out there, missed some easy passes and whiffed on an easy play at the end of the game.

He whiffed on a couple passes. He otherwise looked very good.

For all the hate Desharnais gets, if it happened one single time to him, you'd read 25 straight hate posts against him.

If Desharnais were Galchenyuk, he wouldn't get the hate he gets. But there's a reason for that.

Hope Of Glory

May 24, 2009
North Shore
First of all, if you could read at the level of a 3rd grader, you'd notice that I talked about the line combo performance, rather than the individual performance of Desharnais.

As for Bournival, I'm not a fan of players who only have speed to show in their game. He has no hands, no creativity, no finish, and he's not a physical player. We're not a team that relies on many natural goal scorers neither. So having all of Prust, Weise, Malhotra and him on our bottom-6 is too much. We need offense spread through the whole lineup.

But whatever... Keep believing what you want, I won't lose any sleep over what some weirdos on a message board think of my opinion.

And I won't lose any sleep either over a guy who can't evaluate a guy properly, even if he calls me a weirdo :laugh:

Seriously, that's gold considering most of what you say.

Exactly. Just today Bournival displayed at least half of what he said he doesn't have .

realtalk11

Oct 7, 2013
Yeah, because I totally said he's a bust :shakehead

You know what's funny with those sarcastic posts? It's that it hides some actual concerns of yours about the player.

It's his 3rd year. I'm not expecting a 100 points season from him, but I'd like to see him dominate the play sometimes.

i was obv trolling massively but sasme here would like to see more from him obv

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
Okay guys stop with the insult.... or I'll have to start giving some infractions.

Who the Hell do I think I am???? :laugh:

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
I don't know about you guys, but if it wasn't for his 1-way deal, Travis Moen would be nowhere close of having a chance of making this team. Our depth has surpassed his capabilities.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Bournival was above a PPG in 3 of his 4 seasons in the Q. He also finished second in points as a forward (1 away from first) in his first pro-season with the dogs.

Also, he doesn't have to be a big time offensive player to have a key role on the club. He already looked excellent in first year in the nhl and had a pretty seasoned game for a 22 year old, especially in the POs.

But yeah, he played great today... on the forecheck. That's what his bread and butter is. But I wouldn't count on him anywhere on the top-9.

I wouldn't count on your opinion. He already looked excellent alongside Plekanec and Gionta last year in a top 6 two-way role and was only removed from the line to get Briere going. I wouldn't be surprised that he finds a role on a 3rd line in the next 1-2 years.

Bournival was creating scoring chances today, showed better offensive vision that a lot of his younger peers. For someone with no shot, he sniped a nice one passed Price on a penalty shot. He blew by a few veteren D-men today and created some really good chances. Not to mention his solid two-way game. He carried his line in this scrimmage while playing against a very very solid line of nhl vets.

Last edited:

Hope Of Glory

May 24, 2009
North Shore
I don't know about you guys, but if it wasn't for his 1-way deal, Travis Moen would be nowhere close of having a chance of making this team. Our depth has surpassed his capabilities.

Yeah, he wasn't able to follow the play at all. But again, it's early in the training camp and he's a vet so maybe he'll pick it up later. Although I really doubt it. I guess it can't hurt to have him as a 13th forward, at least it won't be a young guy.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Yeah, he wasn't able to follow the play at all. But again, it's early in the training camp and he's a vet so maybe he'll pick it up later. Although I really doubt it. I guess it can't hurt to have him as a 13th forward, at least it won't be a young guy.

The guy is also 32 years old. He's getting up there for a physical 4th line guy. He's played almost 700 games in the nhl, a lot for that type of player. Unfortunately, the concussions accelerated his decline. He's still solid depth to have imo, but the problem is that you can't carry 30 forwards. With a set 4th line and with Bournival and Sekac showing that they can slot into a middle 6 position, it will be really really tough for Moen to crack the line up. His experience right now is keeping him afloat.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
ohsnap.gif

I'm ready for the season! LET'S GO RED!

FloJack

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006

Yeah, I feel some loyalty to Moen and his veteran presence that I know clouds my judgement of where he's at now and how he fits on the team. People forget his very useful times as a Hab. But I'm guessing the time to move on from him is now.

Guilliam

Jul 30, 2010
Montreal
The guy is also 32 years old. He's getting up there for a physical 4th line guy. He's played almost 700 games in the nhl, a lot for that type of player. Unfortunately, the concussions accelerated his decline. He's still solid depth to have imo, but the problem is that you can't carry 30 forwards. With a set 4th line and with Bournival and Sekac showing that they can slot into a middle 6 position, it will be really really tough for Moen to crack the line up. His experience right now is keeping him afloat.

The only thing he has going for him is that theyoung Ds haven't been very impressing so far so it could be easier to send a couple of them back to Hamilton and only keep 7 D in the NHL. In that case, we could keep 14 forwards, depending on how the goalie situation evolves...

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010

LMFAO

Do i have to remind people that last year, not in the scrimmage (where hitting isn't part of the game really) but in the pre-season game that the line of Pactches-DD-Brere had already some chemistry and they were already dominating the play. Briere felt comfortable there, they were our best line in the pre-season.

How did they do in the real season again?
:laugh:

This is FREAKING scrimmage, it's not a game, it's barely a practice.
You shouldn't even be allowed to watch them, it's the first year we saw scrimmage and already some of you think it's good to evaluate NHLer who just getting in shape, not wanting to get hurt and try the things they practiced this summer.

Last edited:

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Line-up I see as of now:

PAc - DD - PAP
Galchenyuk - Plekanec - Sekac
Bourque - Eller - Gallagher
Prust - Malhotra - Weise
Moen

Emelin - Subban
Markov - Gilbert
Beaulieu - Weaver
Pateryn

Price
Tokarski

Bournival in Hamilton unless we trade Moen or injuries (first call-up). Thomas/Ghetto as secondary call-up options.
Tinordi and Nygren to Hamilton to play as top2 D and be 1st/2nd call-up option. Bouillon to Europe or 8th D.
Budaj waived/traded.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Yeah, I feel some loyalty to Moen and his veteran presence that I know clouds my judgement of where he's at now and how he fits on the team. People forget his very useful times as a Hab. But I'm guessing the time to move on from him is now.

Just ask Iggy :laugh:
We kept him around all season for that one hit.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010

Though the way Prust played today, you might as well put him with Malhotra and Weise on the 4th line if he's gonna keep thinking he's Sidney Crosby between the blue lines...

Yet ignore the fact that DD didn't get an assist on half the goals Pacioretty scored....ignored it, cause it screws your opinion that DD "make" Pacioretty produce.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
People will still find a way to whine about Bouillon, even if he's #7. I'm 100% sure.

I would be the first one to whine.
I still think Boullion is able to play as a #6, the thing is that he isn't part of the future and isn't enough of a upgrade over one of the kid to justify him taking there ice time.
If he was aleady under contract that would be the perfect solution, have him sit in the prsse box all year no matter what happen. But he isn't, so I don't want to use a contract spot for him I rather sign a undraft player like Matt Schmalz , Alexandre Goulet, Tyler Hill, Charles-David Beaudoin, who outplayer player that were invited to camp.

Same apply to Moen and Budaj, both can still play in the NHL but should be the odd man out, both should get trade ASAP.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

I swear i haven't smoked anything in months and months, but i just had this super cartoon visual of DD mounted on a white steed with his puny lance going up against Kopitar on his black stallion with his full sized lance. SC in the background and DD about to be unhorsed....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille