Salary Cap: 2014-15 Roster Building Thread - Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I think (to me anyway) it's more a matter of his value on HF vs his value to GMs. Just like I think Letang's value is a lot higher than what HF thinks, I don't believe Maatta's is quite as high as we think. Maybe I'm wrong...

I would agree. HF boards is always a "what have you done for me lately" place. GM's are likely reactive to that too, but not to the same degree. People are afraid because of Letang's stroke, but I am sure a trading GM will have access to medical records and get the assurances from as many doctor's as possible before trading for him. I don't think there will be much of a hit for that.

Dupree13

Aug 2, 2005
Pittsburgh
I think this is my favorite roster I have thought of:

FORWARDS
Evander Kane ($5.250m) / Sidney Crosby ($8.700m) / Beau Bennett ($0.900m)
Chris Kunitz ($3.850m) / Evgeni Malkin ($9.500m) / James Neal ($5.000m)
Nikolai Kulemin ($3.500m) / Marcel Goc ($2.500m) / Pascal Dupuis ($3.750m)
Jayson Megna ($0.874m) / Joe Vitale ($0.650m) / Zach Sill ($0.550m)
Brian Gibbons ($0.550m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Simon Despres ($1.000m) / Kris Letang ($7.250m)
Rob Scuderi ($3.375m) / Paul Martin ($5.000m)
Brian Dumoulin ($0.832m) / Robert Bortuzzo ($0.600m)
Philip Samuelsson ($0.700m) /
GOALTENDERS
Marc-Andre Fleury ($5.000m)
Jeff Zatkoff ($0.600m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $69,930,792; BONUSES: $68,333
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $1,169,208

I just used in house players for 4th line, but you can plug in other players. Goc at 2.5 may be a little optimistic, but everything else seems pretty reasonable. I traded Maatta+Sutter for Kane, traded Adams (hopefully he is waived and someone picks him up). D pairings can be played around with. This obviously hinges on the cap being at least 70, but given that we don't know what it is, this is the best. There is room here to move Scuds if we need more cap space.

If we can count on Bennett's wrist to hold up, I like it. Though giving up Maatta would sting, I'd probably bite the bullett if Kane was coming back.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
If the cap goes up to 71 vs 69, that'll be huge. I think you need a stronger 4C if we're moving Sutter and replacing him with Goc. Fiddler won't cost a ton and can fill in there if need be.

I don't like any D lineup that doesn't have Letang with Martin. We're paying Letang like a #1, he needs to b used accordingly. Not hidden from the toughest competition. Guy needs challenged to reach his potential.
This team's needed a pairing like that for a long time. They were lights out in the playoffs.

JR's quote about using Sutter differently has me thinking he'll want to keep him no matter what. If he's used as a shadow guy on top players, he's worth a lot more to us than under DB. And if we're not trading him, doesn't leave us a whole lot to move.

penguins2946*

Actually, on Campbell, he plays both RD and LD, so him at like $5 million ($2 million retained) would be an excellent replacement for Niskanen.

gordie

5x
Jul 9, 2002
hfboards.com
Actually, on Campbell, he plays both RD and LD, so him at like $5 million ($2 million retained) would be an excellent replacement for Niskanen.

Campbell is terrible and his star has really fallen over the last few seasons add that to his age of 35. This organization needs to look to youth and forget about the veteran retreads. ;)

SherogoesHAM

Apr 6, 2012
I see a lot of rosters on here and of course 99% of them make us a deeper/stronger team than last year but a lot of them do not address the PP. These rosters are adding a lot more left handed depth players. Of course, if James Neal was a righty he would solve a lot of problems but he is not. I still feel if we are going to make drastic changes to this team, we need to a add big time right handed shot and a net front presence guy. We have Malkin and Crosby. Why not go for a 40% PP if we are potentially making big moves?

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I see a lot of rosters on here and of course 99% of them make us a deeper/stronger team than last year but a lot of them do not address the PP. These rosters are adding a lot more left handed depth players. Of course, if James Neal was a righty he would solve a lot of problems but he is not. I still feel if we are going to make drastic changes to this team, we need to a add big time right handed shot and a net front presence guy. We have Malkin and Crosby. Why not go for a 40% PP if we are potentially making big moves?

Why address the PP? It was ranked 1st overall last season at 23.4%. It's bound to change with the coaching personnel, but still -- why does it need to be addressed?

SherogoesHAM

Apr 6, 2012
Why address the PP? It was ranked 1st overall last season at 23.4%. It's bound to change with the coaching personnel, but still -- why does it need to be addressed?

Because being "1st" means nothing. Did the Rangers give a crap that we were "1st"? What did that 23.4% mean against the rangers? With 71 and 87 it could be twice that high with the right personnel around them.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
The PP was a perfect example of why we excel in the regular season and go downhill in the playoffs. We look to make fancy passes and stay on the perimeter. Rather than focusing on getting pucks on net and providing screens.

I like Philly's set up. Two guys stand in front. Work the puck down low. And give the pointman more space to work.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Because being "1st" means nothing. Did the Rangers give a crap that we were "1st"? What did that 23.4% mean against the rangers? With 71 and 87 it could be twice that high with the right personnel around them.

We scored 3 goals in the final 3 games. Just like the team we had against Boston last year. There was a lot more wrong with that team than just the PP doing squat.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
If we can count on Bennett's wrist to hold up, I like it. Though giving up Maatta would sting, I'd probably bite the bullett if Kane was coming back.

Yeah Bennett being a legit top 6 option is key here. Although, you have other options if he isn't ready. Kunitz could slide to RW or Kane and Kule can move up with Geno. Or if you really have to, move Duper up with Sid.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
If the cap goes up to 71 vs 69, that'll be huge. I think you need a stronger 4C if we're moving Sutter and replacing him with Goc. Fiddler won't cost a ton and can fill in there if need be.

I don't like any D lineup that doesn't have Letang with Martin. We're paying Letang like a #1, he needs to b used accordingly. Not hidden from the toughest competition. Guy needs challenged to reach his potential.
This team's needed a pairing like that for a long time. They were lights out in the playoffs.

JR's quote about using Sutter differently has me thinking he'll want to keep him no matter what. If he's used as a shadow guy on top players, he's worth a lot more to us than under DB. And if we're not trading him, doesn't leave us a whole lot to move.

I'm fine with Fiddler. Like you said, it all depends on the cap. My lineup had enough cap space left if it were at 71 to upgrade the 4th line. You can put Letang with Martin if you want in my lineup as well. I just like spreading the wealth. You don't have to have a number 1 pairing that you ride 25-30 minutes every night in the regular season. That's why I would prefer to split them up. Even out the ice time in the regular season and pair them up in the playoffs when necessary.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Really? I think Letang stinks on the PP. He hardly ever shoots and when he does its nowhere near the net

As long as he's not the QB, he's done alright when in that position before. Not great, but alright. Besides, without another RHS forward to play that role or a true PPQB, how many options do we have?

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I'm fine with Fiddler. Like you said, it all depends on the cap. My lineup had enough cap space left if it were at 71 to upgrade the 4th line. You can put Letang with Martin if you want in my lineup as well. I just like spreading the wealth. You don't have to have a number 1 pairing that you ride 25-30 minutes every night in the regular season. That's why I would prefer to split them up. Even out the ice time in the regular season and pair them up in the playoffs when necessary.

Especially when you know the GM will almost certainly get a vet guy for the playoffs. Even if we run the below, you just know that they'll get someone like Weaver, etc who can come in just for a playoff run. Which means feeding them as much icetime as possible during the regular season.

Despres - Letang
Maatta - Martin
Scuderi - Bort

Hottubber

Feb 9, 2010
As long as he's not the QB, he's done alright when in that position before. Not great, but alright. Besides, without another RHS forward to play that role or a true PPQB, how many options do we have?

Completely agree, the options for a righty aren't great. It just pisses me off with Letang when you see the physical tools he has but a brain the size of a peanut. When you are paying your top guy 7+ mil, you would expect him to be a very good PP, PK, all situations d man.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Kane is ideal and cost controlled for years.
ROR is gonna take a good chunk out of the cap @ 6.5-7M.
Chris Stewart, if you picked him up for his final year and get him signed during it is ideal as well.

sexyllama

May 18, 2010
I think this is my favorite roster I have thought of:

FORWARDS
Evander Kane ($5.250m) / Sidney Crosby ($8.700m) / Beau Bennett ($0.900m)
Chris Kunitz ($3.850m) / Evgeni Malkin ($9.500m) / James Neal ($5.000m)
Nikolai Kulemin ($3.500m) / Marcel Goc ($2.500m) / Pascal Dupuis ($3.750m)
Jayson Megna ($0.874m) / Joe Vitale ($0.650m) / Zach Sill ($0.550m)
Brian Gibbons ($0.550m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Simon Despres ($1.000m) / Kris Letang ($7.250m)
Rob Scuderi ($3.375m) / Paul Martin ($5.000m)
Brian Dumoulin ($0.832m) / Robert Bortuzzo ($0.600m)
Philip Samuelsson ($0.700m) /
GOALTENDERS
Marc-Andre Fleury ($5.000m)
Jeff Zatkoff ($0.600m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $69,930,792; BONUSES: $68,333
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $1,169,208

I just used in house players for 4th line, but you can plug in other players. Goc at 2.5 may be a little optimistic, but everything else seems pretty reasonable. I traded Maatta+Sutter for Kane, traded Adams (hopefully he is waived and someone picks him up). D pairings can be played around with. This obviously hinges on the cap being at least 70, but given that we don't know what it is, this is the best. There is room here to move Scuds if we need more cap space.

if we could pull that off...

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Kane is ideal and cost controlled for years.
ROR is gonna take a good chunk out of the cap @ 6.5-7M.
Chris Stewart, if you picked him up for his final year and get him signed during it is ideal as well.

Stewart if you acquire him, has 1 yr left. If he sucks, then you wasted an asset. If he does great, then he's looking for a nice raise.

ROR will likely be in the 6-6.5m range. Steep, but if locked in long term, not unmanageable. The fact that you can (in theory) lock him up for 3 years over Kane, means his cap hit while steep now, will be fine after the first few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA