Salary Cap: 2014-15 Roster Building Thread - Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Good lord, why do you hate Geno?

Garbage linemates.

I saw that, was trying to put into words how bad it was...you did it for me.

Also, I would rather see ROR as Crosby's LW. It's time to move away from the Sid & Kuni duo. I'd rather see Kunitz on Malkin's line actually, I actually think he has to do less on Geno's line. All he needs to do is park himself in front of the net, Malkin isn't a speed demon, he swerves around and yeah sometimes he takes off, but I think for a guy like Kunitz to last production wise, he'd probably work out better with Geno.

Also, I think ROR would look amazing on Sid's LW.

I like JJ, I think the stuff people said about him in the playoffs, the negative stuff is mostly just the typical "I want to blame someone, I'll blame the guy I don't like for absurd reasons" type of hate, but it's time to move on from him. Need to get younger for wingers.

roquay

Aug 9, 2012
Victoria
I still feel in any situation Fleury should go. Trade him and Scuderi for draft picks (I don't care what round). Offer a pick for Riemer so we save on cap space without losing much in that area.

Resign Niskanen, if the kids are coming through pretty well we can trade him and get something of worth.

That leaves us with close to 10 mil to sign two top 6 wingers (Kunitz and Neal can be split up or put on Sids line if need be).

X-Sid-X 8.7
Kunitz-Malkin-Neal 18.35
Bennett-Sutter-Dupuis 7.95
Gibbons-Vitale-Sill 1.95

Letang-Martin 12.25
Maata-Niskanen 5.9
Depres-Bortuzzo 1.85

Reimer-Zatkoff 3.75

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
ROR is on the cusp of being a 30 goal scorer, actually plays defense and is excellent at it, and also almost never takes penalties

It's almost as if nobody watched the playoffs and learned that you win with guys who contribute even when they're not scoring.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
I still feel in any situation Fleury should go. Trade him and Scuderi for draft picks (I don't care what round). Offer a pick for Riemer so we save on cap space without losing much in that area.

Resign Niskanen, if the kids are coming through pretty well we can trade him and get something of worth.

That leaves us with close to 10 mil to sign two top 6 wingers (Kunitz and Neal can be split up or put on Sids line if need be).

X-Sid-X 8.7
Kunitz-Malkin-Neal 18.35
Bennett-Sutter-Dupuis 7.95
Gibbons-Vitale-Sill 1.95

Letang-Martin 12.25
Maata-Niskanen 5.9
Depres-Bortuzzo 1.85

Reimer-Zatkoff 3.75

Leafs likely won't take anything less than their projected offer sheet compensation in a trade for Reimer, so you're most likely looking at a 1st & 3rd.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
If they did move Fleury, i'd want to sure up the goaltending for the next 3-4 years. That would mean getting Miller @ 6.5-7M/per.

Hiller, Reimer don't interest me at all.

Getting Miller is doable with not many teams projected to be in on him.
Think he'd prefer to stay out west but if the Pens beat any offer...

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
ROR is on the cusp of being a 30 goal scorer, actually plays defense and is excellent at it, and also almost never takes penalties

Trading James Neal for ROR is addition by subtraction any way you slice it. There's no getting around that. We'll still have the same problem: not enough skilled offence. It's a dumb idea, as are virtually all "trade Neal / trade Letang" ideas I've heard this summer. You want to find a way to get both those guys, not have one or the other. Apply same logic to E. Kane, Wheeler, whoever.

stepdad gaary

Dec 5, 2011
If they did move Fleury, i'd want to sure up the goaltending for the next 3-4 years. That would mean getting Miller @ 6.5-7M/per.

yeah he proved himself so worthy of that deal this year... :laugh:

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh

One thing I'm wondering regarding Fleury is if his no movement clause ("cannot be placed on waivers") applies to unconditional waivers, which a player has to pass through before they can be bought out.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Trading James Neal for ROR is addition by subtraction any way you slice it. There's no getting around that. We'll still have the same problem: not enough skilled offence. It's a dumb idea, as are virtually all "trade Neal / trade Letang" ideas I've heard this summer. You want to find a way to get both those guys, not have one or the other. Apply same logic to E. Kane, Wheeler, whoever.

ROR is who I want instead of Kunitz.

As for Geno's line...all I want for that line is Kulemin in addition to Geno & Neal.

I'd also hope Rutherford can some how get Gaborik to join the Pens, a nice 3yr deal at around 5-6m/yr. Only after finding a way to dump Scuderi and Dupuis.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
So sorry I wasn't simultaneously watching twitter while coming up with a roster. Fine put Peters in there instead.

But I would rather take a risk on two guys who might be good over one guy who isn't. Especially when it saves us $4M to use elsewhere. Let me guess, you're one of those guys who wants our blueline to be awful -- say maybe Dumoulin in the top 6 with zero depth -- just so we can keep Fleury's usually terrible, occasionally mediocre play in the playoffs. You're right, Captain Condescending, that's much better than my obviously stupid idea.

Good luck finding a single roster I've done up that has anyone other than Despres, Maatta and Bort as the young guys in the top 6.

Twitter? TSN reported it 8 hours ago.

Last edited:

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Can someone please explain to me why giving Ryan Miller 6.5-7M a year is a good idea?

A legit #1 who gets us to Jarry or Murray or Hartzell.
It's only 1.5-2M more than Fleury.
With the projected cap jumps, and if he plays to his capabilities, it would be a steal.

stepdad gaary

Dec 5, 2011
A legit #1 who gets us to Jarry or Murray or Hartzell.
It's only 1.5-2M more than Fleury.
With the projected cap jumps, and if he plays to his capabilities, it would be a steal.

the funds gained from the projected rise in the cap would be better served improving the forward depth

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
oh boy

The poster is a trusted source, he's one of two guys I trust on the Jets board.

I like it.
Bruins are probably willing to part with Marchand, Eriksson.
They have more proven D as well.

Pens have Sutter, Neal, Bennett and the D prospects.

Get em JR.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
I don't think you need 'inside info' to guess that the Penguins and Bruins would be interested in Kane.

Although the Bruins would look pretty hypocritical for trading Seguin for partying and then going out and acquiring a lesser player known to do the same. Of course the Bruins looking hypocritical is what they do best.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Is there a way to get a player like Kane without moving Maatta?

I would think there is with Pouliot in the mix.

Winnipeg has someone like Pouliot in Morrissey. I also would move Maatta before Pouloit. We just don't have anyone like him in the system.

As for getting Kane without including Maatta, I doubt it. I'm not sure if Sutter/Maatta would be enough. I would expect they'd want BB. Their F prospect depth is only slightly better than ours. And if Byf is played up front, while they have 3/4 top 6 wingers (Ladd, Wheeler, Byf, Frolik), they would be missing at least 1 if not 2 top 4D (Enstrom, Bogo and perhaps Trouba).

Basically I don't think they can move Kane without getting a winger back. And I'm not sure if I would do Sutter, BB and Maatta (I wouldn't include Pouliot) without getting something else (Klingberg/Lowry/Telegrin/Kubalik?) in return.

Hazard

Jun 17, 2014
Hi guys, I've been lurking these boards for years now and I finally decided to make an account. Anyway here's my "slightly" unrealistic roster for the Penguins. I'm not really good at this, so please don't flame me too much. :)

PIT: Letang, Dupuis
COL: O'Reilly, McGinn

PIT: Sutter, Scuderi, Adams
BUF: Stewart (salary 25% retained), Foligno

Sign Niskanen, Mike Richards, Malhotra.
If Richards doesn't get bought out, replace him with Bolland, Grabovski or Boyle.

FORWARDS
Ryan O'Reilly ($6.500m) / Sidney Crosby ($8.700m) / Chris Stewart ($3.113m)
Chris Kunitz ($3.850m) / Evgeni Malkin ($9.500m) / James Neal ($5.000m)
Jamie McGinn ($2.000m) / Mike Richards ($4.000m) / Beau Bennett ($0.900m)
Marcus Foligno ($1.000m) / Manny Malhotra ($1.000m) / Adam Payerl ($0.627m)
Jayson Megna ($0.900m) /

DEFENSEMEN
Simon Despres ($1.000m) / Paul Martin ($5.000m)
Olli Maatta ($0.894m) / Matt Niskanen ($4.500m)
Brian Dumoulin ($0.832m) / Robert Bortuzzo ($0.600m)
Philip Samuelsson ($0.650m) /

GOALTENDERS
Marc-Andre Fleury ($5.000m)
Jeff Zatkoff ($0.600m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $69,600,000; CAP PAYROLL: $66,161,250; BONUSES: $308,333
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $3,438,750

Sid gets two top 6 wingers, KMN line reunites and bottom 6 has youth with veteran leadership. Thoughts?

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Winnipeg has someone like Pouliot in Morrissey. I also would move Maatta before Pouloit. We just don't have anyone like him in the system.

As for getting Kane without including Maatta, I doubt it. I'm not sure if Sutter/Maatta would be enough. I would expect they'd want BB. Their F prospect depth is only slightly better than ours. And if Byf is played up front, while they have 3/4 top 6 wingers (Ladd, Wheeler, Byf, Frolik), they would be missing at least 1 if not 2 top 4D (Enstrom, Bogo and perhaps Trouba).

Basically I don't think they can move Kane without getting a winger back. And I'm not sure if I would do Sutter, BB and Maatta (I wouldn't include Pouliot) without getting something else (Klingberg/Lowry/Telegrin/Kubalik?) in return.

Maatta+Sutter+BB is entirely too much and guys like Klingberg definitely don't make up the difference. I think you are really undervaluing how Maatta is viewed around the league. Plus it opens up quite a few other issues for us. We wouldn't have anyone to play RW with Sid, and a lack of cap space would leave us unable to fill that hole and/or ice a decent third line.

Edit: I think Maatta is the opposite of almost every other player on our roster. His value around the league is sky-high right now, but because of our defensive prospect depth, he might actually be more valuable in a trade than he is to us. Someone like Letang has a perceived low value around the league because he's coming off of a bad regular season and a stroke, we wouldn't get the value for him that we'd need to make the trade worth it. Same goes for Despres, because of how he was used, he's not going to bring us back anything that will help us more than he will. And the same is true for Bennett. You're basically using him as a throw-in in that trade. He's worth way more than that to us because of our lack of forward depth and the fact that competitive teams need guys on cheap ELCs to fill out the forward group and he's the only one we have.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad