Salary Cap: 2014-15 Roster Building Thread - Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
if we could pull that off...

It's really not all that hard in theory. Signing Kulemin seems like a no brainer. I can't see why Goc wouldn't want to come back in a more prominent role with better linemates. And Maatta+Sutter is a fair starting point for Kane which makes sense for them. They get their building block pairing in Maatta-Trouba and a 3rd line center that can jump into the top 6 in a pinch. Then they can move big buff for help on the wing.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
Am I the only one who is a bit unsure about ROR?

I'll preface with saying that I havent heard anything about the guy in the media but doesnt he seem like a bit of a "me first" and not so much a team guy? The guy is only 22 and this is already the second time he's causing a ruckus with a contract? Just smells like he'd be a "locker room cancer," as the current buzz words go.

The guy is a stud. Dude can play. No one can deny that. But Im just wondering if its worth the trade off?

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009

I'll preface with saying that I havent heard anything about the guy in the media but doesnt he seem like a bit of a "me first" and not so much a team guy? The guy is only 22 and this is already the second time he's causing a ruckus with a contract? Just smells like he'd be a "locker room cancer," as the current buzz words go.

The guy is a stud. Dude can play. No one can deny that. But Im just wondering if its worth the trade off?

I'm not entirely sure but i think it's his dad thats the d***.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

I don't think he's a cancer, just may have an elevated view of what he is worth in terms of contract. He plays like a team first guy and seems to be a leader. Read this article for more insight into him off the ice:

http://www.denverpost.com/hochman/ci_25434986/ryan-oreilly-is-equal-parts-yoga-mat-lunch-pail-avs

"I'd like to say he's a mentor of our young rookie Nathan MacKinnon and even Tyson Barrie," Landeskog said. "Tyson probably won't admit it, but I think without Ryan, Tyson and Nate would be lost."

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
I don't think he's a cancer, just may have an elevated view of what he is worth in terms of contract. He plays like a team first guy and seems to be a leader. Read this article for more insight into him off the ice:

http://www.denverpost.com/hochman/ci_25434986/ryan-oreilly-is-equal-parts-yoga-mat-lunch-pail-avs

"I'd like to say he's a mentor of our young rookie Nathan MacKinnon and even Tyson Barrie," Landeskog said. "Tyson probably won't admit it, but I think without Ryan, Tyson and Nate would be lost."

huh. Very interesting. An excellent article man.

I"ll admit .. some of my concerns are definitely alleviated.

sexyllama

May 18, 2010
It's really not all that hard in theory. Signing Kulemin seems like a no brainer. I can't see why Goc wouldn't want to come back in a more prominent role with better linemates. And Maatta+Sutter is a fair starting point for Kane which makes sense for them. They get their building block pairing in Maatta-Trouba and a 3rd line center that can jump into the top 6 in a pinch. Then they can move big buff for help on the wing.

I think it's reasonable too. I'm just glad someone started playing our young Defense. At some point, they have got to play.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012

My reservations with O'Reilly would have only to do with that he's long thought he's worth compensation that he hasn't quite earned. His agent seems extremely upset that the Avalanche would rather pay him closer to $5.5 than north of $6.5.

I don't know what would possess him to believe he should be in the Kopitar/Backstrom pay bracket, but he's got no business being there.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

So because he believes that he's worth more than whatever Colorado is/has offered, that means he's a cancer? There's a difference between what happens on the ice, and the business side of things. Us as fans have to remember that not only is this a business, it's also their lively hoods.

Look at Subban. Do you think he's a cancer in the locker room? I think he's a doucebag on the ice, but I don't hold a grudge against someone for trying to get the best deal possible.

Now as for ROR... if he's only interested in signing a 2 yr deal even if COL trades him... then that's a different matter. But he's in the drivers seat at this point, as all the pressure is on the team (any team) to get him signed before he goes to arbitration. Once he's there, it's a 2 yr deal and he'll be in the same situation 2 yrs from now with pending FA as his leverage.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
My reservations with O'Reilly would have only to do with that he's long thought he's worth compensation that he hasn't quite earned. His agent seems extremely upset that the Avalanche would rather pay him closer to $5.5 than north of $6.5.

I don't know what would possess him to believe he should be in the Kopitar/Backstrom pay bracket, but he's got no business being there.

This was my point really. And again, this is the SECOND time this is happening .. all before the age of 23? Just seems a bit ego manic to me. If thats the case, guys like that tend to be ********.

But if the article that was posted is to be believed, then maybe he isnt.

Hard to tell.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

Yeah that's more of my concern as well. Although it's not really fair to compare him to Kopitar since he's underpaid today. He signed his deal in 2008 with the cap significantly lower. It's not a relevant comparison at all.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

Depends on the term. 2 yrs, I expect something close to 5-5.5m. However if the Avs are looking to sign him for 6+ years... why wouldn't he ask for more? Kopitar and Backstrom signed their deals years ago. Things have changed since then. Kopitar's next deal will be 8m+. ROR looking for 6-6.5m isn't completely unreasonable if they're talking 7/8 years.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
This was my point really. And again, this is the SECOND time this is happening .. all before the age of 23? Just seems a bit ego manic to me. If thats the case, guys like that tend to be ********.

Hard to tell.

Read this letter from his dad the last time around:

http://blogs.denverpost.com/avs/2013/02/19/ryan-oreillys-father-opens-up-on-his-sons-situation-with-avalanche/12635/

His dad is kinda loony so I think that drove some of this. O'Reilly tweeted a response. Here's a summarized version of the key points of the situation:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/ryan-oreilly-colorado-avalanche-father-denver-post-letter/

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

Hard to tell.

It isn't personal... it's business. Look at guys like Seto or Cheechoo. You sign the biggest/longest term deal possible and hope that you can perform up to it. But **** does happen, and for whatever reason (injuries, whatever) if you don't, you want to have locked up as much money as possible.

If I can sell my house for 500k, why would I sell it for 475k? I owe nothing to the buyers... and 1-1.5m won't handcuff the team cap wise. Now I can see them saying, we won't pay you more than Duchene (short sighted, but whatever). But if they're offering less than Duchene, and he wants the same deal Duchene got... does that make him an ass? Or the team idiots?

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
Read this letter from his dad the last time around:

http://blogs.denverpost.com/avs/2013/02/19/ryan-oreillys-father-opens-up-on-his-sons-situation-with-avalanche/12635/

His dad is kinda loony so I think that drove some of this. O'Reilly tweeted a response. Here's a summarized version of the key points of the situation:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/ryan-oreilly-colorado-avalanche-father-denver-post-letter/

While I agree that his dad seems a bit odd, he does have a point: certain personality traits are slowly being purged from society, thats for sure.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
It isn't personal... it's business. Look at guys like Seto or Cheechoo. You sign the biggest/longest term deal possible and hope that you can perform up to it. But **** does happen, and for whatever reason (injuries, whatever) if you don't, you want to have locked up as much money as possible.

If I can sell my house for 500k, why would I sell it for 475k? I owe nothing to the buyers... and 1-1.5m won't handcuff the team cap wise. Now I can see them saying, we won't pay you more than Duchene (short sighted, but whatever). But if they're offering less than Duchene, and he wants the same deal Duchene got... does that make him an ass? Or the team idiots?

I agree with you. 100%. I dont know .. maybe Im not expressing my thoughts the right way. I think its just the way he's going about it. Its coming across as doucey to me.

Also, I wasnt saying he WAS a cancer. Just saying that typically, dudes with big ego's and self inflated worth tend to have a chip on their shoulder. Ive been in a few locker rooms with guys like that and they cause problems. I dont know if he IS like that or not, just my impression of the norm of people who have that ego thing.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
While I agree that his dad seems a bit odd, he does have a point: certain personality traits are slowly being purged from society, thats for sure.

For sure but that's kind of beside the point. How often do you see a parent of an NHL hockey player write an open letter to question the organization and pump his son's tires?

The thing for me is how did O'Reilly handle himself once the contract was signed? From all accounts, he was a great teammate and professional. Even to the point that the captain calls him a leader and mentor to players only a few years younger than him. If he's open to a long term deal with the Pens around 6 million, I have no doubt that he would be a great player for this team, on and off the ice.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I agree with you. 100%. I dont know .. maybe Im not expressing my thoughts the right way. I think its just the way he's going about it. Its coming across as doucey to me.

Also, I wasnt saying he WAS a cancer. Just saying that typically, dudes with big ego's and self inflated worth tend to have a chip on their shoulder. Ive been in a few locker rooms with guys like that and they cause problems. I dont know if he IS like that or not, just my impression of the norm of people who have that ego thing.

I'm not sure how he is going about it in a douchy way. The team is electing arbitration, not O'Reilly.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
For sure but that's kind of beside the point. How often do you see a parent of an NHL hockey player write an open letter to question the organization and pump his son's tires?

The thing for me is how did O'Reilly handle himself once the contract was signed? From all accounts, he was a great teammate and professional. Even to the point that the captain calls him a leader and mentor to players only a few years younger than him. If he's open to a long term deal with the Pens around 6 million, I have no doubt that he would be a great player for this team, on and off the ice.

Agreed. He surely has the talent and skill, thats for sure.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
So because he believes that he's worth more than whatever Colorado is/has offered, that means he's a cancer? There's a difference between what happens on the ice, and the business side of things. Us as fans have to remember that not only is this a business, it's also their lively hoods.

Look at Subban. Do you think he's a cancer in the locker room? I think he's a doucebag on the ice, but I don't hold a grudge against someone for trying to get the best deal possible.

Now as for ROR... if he's only interested in signing a 2 yr deal even if COL trades him... then that's a different matter. But he's in the drivers seat at this point, as all the pressure is on the team (any team) to get him signed before he goes to arbitration. Once he's there, it's a 2 yr deal and he'll be in the same situation 2 yrs from now with pending FA as his leverage.

Yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad