Salary Cap: 2014-15 Roster Building Thread - Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Sutter/Bennett/Pouliot and the 1st.
Something in that i would offer for Kane.

If they need a winger. Bennett/lesser D-Prospect/1st

Ideally you'd want something that didn't involve Bennett and that would take Sutter plus Maata or Pouliot and the 1st.

I really hate losing the 1st this year though unless JR swings another deal that lands us another 1.

Last edited:

BADoglick

Jun 12, 2012
Ok, so I have made a roster, with the cap at 70 mil.

Kunitz-Crosby-Callahan (6)
Kulemin (3)-Malkin-Neal
Bennett-Sutter (3.5)-Dupuis
Sill-Payerl-Megna

Letang-Martin
Bortuzzo-Despres
Bellemore (1.25)-Maata (sub Domoulin/Samuellson while hurt)

The thing with Sid's winger needs is, not only does he need someone who can score, but someone who can help stick up for him. That's why I like Callahan, even at 6 million. He's not quite as young as ideally we'd want, but he's at a young enough age where you can sign him for four years at least and expect him to still be a good player through the life of his contract. I'd prefer if Kunitz returned to his old game, but Callahan would allow it to be ok if one floats a bit.

Kulemin provides a familiarity with Malkin, but if we need more scoring we can put him on the third line, he'd fit well there, and trade Bennett up. So that provides options. The fourth line I just would throw our three grittiest young guys out there.

Letang and Martin was our best d pair last year. Bortuzzo and Despres were nasty together as well, but they need to get sharp before playoffs. Bellemore is a free agent from Carolina who is very highly regarded but not expected to sign for a lot. He could be a solid shut down defenseman who is still very young for a couple of years while the new guys find their places. We'd still be starting three young players. Plus he's a right handed shot.

The fourth line and the bottom four defenseman are all inexperienced relatively speaking, but at least this team has some youth and some more grit and aggressiveness.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I think Harrington is ready for the bigs already.
He may even be sliding ahead of Despres on the depth chart imo.
I wouldn't be surprised if he made the team out of camp this fall.

Uncle Machete

Apr 6, 2004
Mexico City
Sutter and Maatta for Ryan O'Reilly or Sutter, Maatta and a first rounder for Kane, which would you prefer?

Also, would you take a flyer on David Booth for a reasonable cap hit? A one year deal for a semi-low cap hit where he can prove himself and maybe cash in on the FA market the next year?

SuburbanRhythm

WorldClassJagoff
May 6, 2002
Pittsburgh
Visit site
Sutter and Maatta for Ryan O'Reilly or Sutter, Maatta and a first rounder for Kane, which would you prefer?

Also, would you take a flyer on David Booth for a reasonable cap hit? A one year deal for a semi-low cap hit where he can prove himself and maybe cash in on the FA market the next year?

If the glaring spot in question was on the 3rd line, I'd take Booth on a Mason Raymond-ish 1 year $1M deal.

But, if if we're somehow able to fill out the top two lines with a winger for Sid and a complimentary piece (Kulemin) for Geno, those 3rd line spots are Dupuis' and Bennett's (I guess unless Bennett is part of the deal for Sid's winger).

dbell646

Jun 3, 2014

Also, would you take a flyer on David Booth for a reasonable cap hit? A one year deal for a semi-low cap hit where he can prove himself and maybe cash in on the FA market the next year?[/QUOTE
I think O'reilly is the better player so I'd pay less to get the better player.

Syrinx

Jul 7, 2005
Cary, NC
I like giving Booth a 1 year, low-cap deal. It's a low-risk, potential high-reward move.

I do not like the thought of moving Maatta. At all. In any deal. There are very few wingers that I think we should consider trading him for. I haven't heard any of those names in this thread.

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
I don't quite get the trade Maatta folks to be honest.

I mean I guess you have to give to recieve, but let's be real here. He is a young stud defensemen that should only get better, especially now that the idiotic defensive system he was under his rookie year will be gone.

AND he is cost controlled for 2 more years. Off loading a guy making less then 1M who has a legit shot to be one of our best defensemen in the next couple of years doesn't make sense to me.

We need talented cheap guys in the lineup.

That said, I do think E. Kane is the perfect winger for Crosby.

Wonder if they would take Scuderi in trade :sarcasm:

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
A legit #1 who gets us to Jarry or Murray or Hartzell.
It's only 1.5-2M more than Fleury.
With the projected cap jumps, and if he plays to his capabilities, it would be a steal.

Yeah. If he plays to his capabilities. Which I doubt he will. He was bad for St. Louis. Only getting older.

Plus for 7M?? Hell no.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I don't quite get the trade Maatta folks to be honest.

I mean I guess you have to give to recieve, but let's be real here. He is a young stud defensemen that should only get better, especially now that the idiotic defensive system he was under his rookie year will be gone.

AND he is cost controlled for 2 more years. Off loading a guy making less then 1M who has a legit shot to be one of our best defensemen in the next couple of years doesn't make sense to me.

We need talented cheap guys in the lineup.

That said, I do think E. Kane is the perfect winger for Crosby.

Wonder if they would take Scuderi in trade :sarcasm:

All of what you say is true, but he has way more trade value than Despres and Dumo at this point. Despres also is going to be cost controlled for several more years and has a chance to be one of our best dmen in a few years. Hell, he may have even more upside than Maatta because of his physical gifts. So, no one actually WANTS to trade Maatta, but we realize that he is the most attractive realistic trade chip we have and his trade value may actually be higher than his value to the Pens, given our depth on defense.

Syrinx

Jul 7, 2005
Cary, NC
Can someone please explain to me why everyone is so anxious to give up so much for a 50 point winger?

It'd be crazy to give up Maatta or Pouliot alone for Kane. Look at his numbers folks. I'm not sure why he's the hot topic of conversation this year. He's fairly injury-prone and is a 50 point winger. Go look at his numbers here.

Anything more than Sutter and Bennett is absolutely insane.

Someone please tell me what I'm missing.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Can someone please explain to me why everyone is so anxious to give up so much for a 50 point winger?

It'd be crazy to give up Maatta or Pouliot alone for Kane. Look at his numbers folks. I'm not sure why he's the hot topic of conversation this year. He's fairly injury-prone and is a 50 point winger. Go look at his numbers here.

Anything more than Sutter and Bennett is absolutely insane.

A lot. The dude is 22 so he still has a lot of upside. He's tough and skilled. He can stick up for Sid (what everyone is clamoring for) and skate like the wind. He's locked in for the next 4 years on a reasonable cap hit. You have to give to get. Sutter+Maatta is a pretty fair deal for either Kane or ROR.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011

The vast majority of those injuries with the Jets are related to fighting, which he should really stop doing (hand and concussion). For the past 3 years he has scored at a rate of .36 goals per GP which places him 34th in the league. Do some quick math and see for yourself what that translates over a full season. Also compare his age to most of those above him. He's also 16th in ES goals over that stretch. Now consider he has never had a support cast. Last season he was playing with Olli Jokinen and Antti Miettenen for crying out loud. He also doesn't get 1st PP time. He's also elite on the PK as the forechecker.

With Crosby or Malkin he could easily be a 35 or even 40 goal winger.

Syrinx

Jul 7, 2005
Cary, NC
A lot. The dude is 22 so he still has a lot of upside. He's tough and skilled. He can stick up for Sid (what everyone is clamoring for) and skate like the wind. He's locked in for the next 4 years on a reasonable cap hit. You have to give to get. Sutter+Maatta is a pretty fair deal for either Kane or ROR.

Maybe my man crush on Maatta is clouding my judgement...

I've never seen a 50 point player get that much in trade. The 4 years does make it more appealing but that still seems steep to me.

I'd be happier with ROR.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Maybe my man crush on Maatta is clouding my judgement...

I've never seen a 50 point player get that much in trade. The 4 years does make it more appealing but that still seems steep to me.

I'd be happier with ROR.

I'm not sure why you keep calling him a 50 point player. His value is not the same as any random 50 point guy. He has big upside and teams will have to pay for that. That's like me calling Maatta a 2nd pairing defender.

Phil68

Jun 13, 2009
O'Reily Is realistic and may not cost us muchAvs are already going to arbitration.. I do believe Colorado would want to take one of our defensement off our hands.. Letang for Oreily and Avs 2nd rounder is more then fair here.... Then Signing Oreily to a 5 year 5.5 mil contract is really possible here

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
O'Reily Is realistic and may not cost us muchAvs are already going to arbitration.. I do believe Colorado would want to take one of our defensement off our hands.. Letang for Oreily and Avs 2nd rounder is more then fair here.... Then Signing Oreily to a 5 year 5.5 mil contract is really possible here

I think it takes 6 to 6.5 to get O'Reilly to sign a long term deal.

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
All of what you say is true, but he has way more trade value than Despres and Dumo at this point. Despres also is going to be cost controlled for several more years and has a chance to be one of our best dmen in a few years. Hell, he may have even more upside than Maatta because of his physical gifts. So, no one actually WANTS to trade Maatta, but we realize that he is the most attractive realistic trade chip we have and his trade value may actually be higher than his value to the Pens, given our depth on defense.

that is fair.

personally I'd want Kane over ROR, skates faster, cheaper, and tough as hell.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
that is fair.

personally I'd want Kane over ROR, skates faster, cheaper, and tough as hell.

Yeah I am torn between the two. Kane has more upside and gives Sid that dynamic winger, but O'Reilly is more versatile and seems like a winner. He is also great defensively. I'd do Sutter+Maatta as the basis for either deal and Maatta makes sense for both. The only challenge is I'm not sure Colorado needs Sutter if they keep Stastny so we may need to add Bennett instead which I am not a fan of.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Maatta+Sutter+BB is entirely too much and guys like Klingberg definitely don't make up the difference. I think you are really undervaluing how Maatta is viewed around the league. Plus it opens up quite a few other issues for us. We wouldn't have anyone to play RW with Sid, and a lack of cap space would leave us unable to fill that hole and/or ice a decent third line.

Edit: I think Maatta is the opposite of almost every other player on our roster. His value around the league is sky-high right now, but because of our defensive prospect depth, he might actually be more valuable in a trade than he is to us. Someone like Letang has a perceived low value around the league because he's coming off of a bad regular season and a stroke, we wouldn't get the value for him that we'd need to make the trade worth it. Same goes for Despres, because of how he was used, he's not going to bring us back anything that will help us more than he will. And the same is true for Bennett. You're basically using him as a throw-in in that trade. He's worth way more than that to us because of our lack of forward depth and the fact that competitive teams need guys on cheap ELCs to fill out the forward group and he's the only one we have.

I think (to me anyway) it's more a matter of his value on HF vs his value to GMs. Just like I think Letang's value is a lot higher than what HF thinks, I don't believe Maatta's is quite as high as we think. Maybe I'm wrong...

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I think this is my favorite roster I have thought of:

FORWARDS
Evander Kane ($5.250m) / Sidney Crosby ($8.700m) / Beau Bennett ($0.900m)
Chris Kunitz ($3.850m) / Evgeni Malkin ($9.500m) / James Neal ($5.000m)
Nikolai Kulemin ($3.500m) / Marcel Goc ($2.500m) / Pascal Dupuis ($3.750m)
Jayson Megna ($0.874m) / Joe Vitale ($0.650m) / Zach Sill ($0.550m)
Brian Gibbons ($0.550m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Simon Despres ($1.000m) / Kris Letang ($7.250m)
Rob Scuderi ($3.375m) / Paul Martin ($5.000m)
Brian Dumoulin ($0.832m) / Robert Bortuzzo ($0.600m)
Philip Samuelsson ($0.700m) /
GOALTENDERS
Marc-Andre Fleury ($5.000m)
Jeff Zatkoff ($0.600m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $69,930,792; BONUSES: $68,333
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $1,169,208

I just used in house players for 4th line, but you can plug in other players. Goc at 2.5 may be a little optimistic, but everything else seems pretty reasonable. I traded Maatta+Sutter for Kane, traded Adams (hopefully he is waived and someone picks him up). D pairings can be played around with. This obviously hinges on the cap being at least 70, but given that we don't know what it is, this is the best. There is room here to move Scuds if we need more cap space.

penguins2946*

@andystrickland: Brian Campbell apparently wants out of Florida...still has two years left on contract paying north of $7 million #Panthers

Just putting this here. He's obviously not going here. If he were right handed, him at $5 million (Florida retains $2 million) would be an excellent replacement for Nisky.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00