Salary Cap: 2014-15 Roster Building Thread - Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
If you like. I don't think there's all that much to distinguish between the two of them. A handful of points either way.

Toews is a legitimate #1C. Bergeron and ROR are best off as support players. Elite #2Cs. In ROR's case, riding shotgun with Sid.

That aside, I want him here b/c ROR/Sid could give us a huge advantage in the playoffs. If they're not producing, they're not giving up much of anything. And can match up against the loaded lines out west. Saad/Toews/Hossa. Gaborik/Kopitar/Brown. Getzlaf/Perry.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
What about a Neal for ROR kinda move.

I think ROR is the better player so it would be tempting to do the deal. Neal and his 5 million cap number probably fits in perfect with Colorado's tight cap structure they seem to want. Still the deal solves little for the Pens. We get a bit of an upgrade in ROR but we're just filling one hole wherever ROR would play and creating another big hole by losing Neal on Malkin's line.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I think ROR is the better player so it would be tempting to do the deal. Neal and his 5 million cap number probably fits in perfect with Colorado's tight cap structure they seem to want. Still the deal solves little for the Pens. We get a bit of an upgrade in ROR but we're just filling one hole wherever ROR would play and creating another big hole by losing Neal on Malkin's line.

Makes less sense for the Avs. They can't afford to move him without getting a longterm solution on defense.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

Resign JJ to something affordable, and sign Kulemin. Use JJ as the sniper on that line.

Kunitz - Crosby - ROR
Kulemin - Malkin - JJ
BB - Sutter - Dupuis

Solid top 9. Wouldn't be a ton of scoring outside of Crosby/Malkin, but should have speed, grit and solid two way play throughout.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Resign JJ to something affordable, and sign Kulemin. Use JJ as the sniper on that line.

Kunitz - Crosby - ROR
Kulemin - Malkin - JJ
BB - Sutter - Dupuis

Solid top 9. Wouldn't be a ton of scoring outside of Crosby/Malkin, but should have speed, grit and solid two way play throughout.

I'd like to see Malkin defer less. Part of the reason why I'd like to see Neal bumped up to Sid's line or moved.

Fire Shero*

Kunitz - Crosby - ROR
Kulemin - Malkin - JJ
BB - Sutter - Dupuis

Good lord, why do you hate Geno?

Garbage linemates.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
I'd like to see Malkin defer less. Part of the reason why I'd like to see Neal bumped up to Sid's line or moved.

Absolutely. Sid keeps Neal skating more anyways. And although I don't think BB should start the year in the top 6, he's always looked good with Geno, and his possession game meshes a lot better with Geno's style. I think a Kulemin/Geno/BB line could be tremendous.

Jesus Vitale

Formerly CPZ17
Nov 19, 2010
Pittsburgh
ugh trading Neal for ROR is so stupid. Neal had 3 less points in 21 less games. plus, ROR is gonna make 5.5+; the Pens can't afford to add higher cap hits as it is. Even if he's better now or in the future, it's still a marginal team upgrade because filling a hole on Sid's wing just opens another on Malkin and they're back to less than 3 good top six wingers.

James Neal scores at a 35+ goal pace every year in the regular season. I really don't think, even with with his stupid dirty plays, that you give up on a guy like that ever being productive in the playoffs. New head coach, new system, potentially new playoffs james neal.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
Nisky is as good as gone.. we should be trading his rights before free agency... he is considered the top Dman out there in UFA... they always get woefully overpaid. A team will be lucky if he signs for less than 6, because those aqre the numbers being brandished about for him... and he isn't worth 6, as good a guy as he is... he barely should make 4

His rights, and the rights to any other UFA, have no value. The open interview period starts a week from tomorrow. What team is going to give up anything - even a 7th rounder - for a week of negotiating time?

Fordy

May 28, 2008
ugh trading Neal for ROR is so stupid. Neal had 3 less points in 21 less games. plus, ROR is gonna make 5.5+; the Pens can't afford to add higher cap hits as it is. Even if he's better now or in the future, it's still a marginal team upgrade because filling a hole on Sid's wing just opens another on Malkin and they're back to less than 3 good top six wingers.

James Neal scores at a 35+ goal pace every year in the regular season. I really don't think, even with with his stupid dirty plays, that you give up on a guy like that ever being productive in the playoffs. New head coach, new system, potentially new playoffs james neal.

ROR is on the cusp of being a 30 goal scorer, actually plays defense and is excellent at it, and also almost never takes penalties

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Good lord, why do you hate Geno?

Garbage linemates.

You're looking at the names, and not how they play. Malkin needs someone like Kulemin. Maybe not him, but someone who plays that type of game. Kulemin is an easy target due to their play together elsewhere, and the fact that he should be an obtainable target, while being someone we could afford with our cap structure. But I'm fine if you can come up with someone else to play that role that we can afford.

I'm far from a big Jokinen fan. But he can be an effective player, and he has been here. He's played 115 games for us and scored 35 goals and had 80 points, while providing sound 2 way play. He's versatile in that he can be a good center and win draws, and he's a smart player.

JJ/Malkin/Neal was not a great line, as JJ couldn't provide that fast gritty board play that Malkin needs. But what's stopping JJ from being the shooter on that line? He has a good shot, and has potted 30 before, and is coming off a 21g season.

Rico Fatastic

Jul 28, 2002
I don't really expect it to happen at this point, but it's amazing how much you can do with the roster when you save money at the goaltender position by getting rid of Fleury:

Trades:
Sutter and Maatta for O'Reilly
Fleury to whomever for whatever (or compliance buyout if necessary -- I doubt it will be though)

CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER
CapGeek Armchair GM Roster
FORWARDS
Chris Kunitz ($3.850m) / Sidney Crosby ($8.700m) / Ryan O'Reilly ($6.500m)
Nikolai Kulemin ($3.250m) / Evgeni Malkin ($9.500m) / James Neal ($5.000m)
Beauregard ($0.900m) / Marcel Goc ($2.500m) / Pascal Dupuis ($3.750m)
Blake Comeau ($1.800m) / Joe Vitale ($0.850m) / Brian Gibbons ($0.600m)
Zach Sill ($0.600m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Paul Martin ($5.000m) / Kris Letang ($7.250m)
Simon Despres ($0.900m) / Mark Fayne ($2.500m)
Rob Scuderi ($3.375m) / Robert Bortuzzo ($0.600m)
Philip Samuelsson ($0.650m) /
GOALTENDERS
Thomas Greiss ($0.950m)
Alex Stalock ($0.800m)
(Maybe replace one of these guys with Justin Peters if you prefer)
BUYOUTS
Craig Adams ($0.233m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $70,058,333; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $1,041,667

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I don't really expect it to happen at this point, but it's amazing how much you can do with the roster when you save money at the goaltender position by getting rid of Fleury:

Trades:
Fleury to whomever for whatever (or compliance buyout if necessary -- I doubt it will be though)

FORWARDS
Zach Sill ($0.600m) /
DEFENSEMEN
GOALTENDERS
Thomas Greiss ($0.950m)
Alex Stalock ($0.800m)

BUYOUTS
Craig Adams ($0.233m)
------

Seeing how Stalock just signed for 1.7m in SJ, we won't be getting him. But I'm glad to see you're going to hand over our goaltending to a contending team to someone who's played 70 NHL games. Oh and sign a backup who's played a similar amount of games. Great plan.:shakehead:help:

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
His rights, and the rights to any other UFA, have no value. The open interview period starts a week from tomorrow. What team is going to give up anything - even a 7th rounder - for a week of negotiating time?

Someone will still deal for UFA rights in order to talk to them before anyone else can. It's just a week earlier. It'll still happen.

Rico Fatastic

Jul 28, 2002
Seeing how Stalock just signed for 1.7m in SJ, we won't be getting him. But I'm glad to see you're going to hand over our goaltending to a contending team to someone who's played 70 NHL games. Oh and sign a backup who's played a similar amount of games. Great plan.:shakehead:help:
So sorry I wasn't simultaneously watching twitter while coming up with a roster. Fine put Peters in there instead.

But I would rather take a risk on two guys who might be good over one guy who isn't. Especially when it saves us $4M to use elsewhere. Let me guess, you're one of those guys who wants our blueline to be awful -- say maybe Dumoulin in the top 6 with zero depth -- just so we can keep Fleury's usually terrible, occasionally mediocre play in the playoffs. You're right, Captain Condescending, that's much better than my obviously stupid idea.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
So sorry I wasn't simultaneously watching twitter while coming up with a roster. Fine put Peters in there instead.

But I would rather take a risk on two guys who might be good over one guy who isn't. Especially when it saves us $4M to use elsewhere. Let me guess, you're one of those guys who wants our blueline to be awful -- say maybe Dumoulin in the top 6 with zero depth -- just so we can keep Fleury's usually terrible, occasionally mediocre play in the playoffs. You're right, Captain Condescending, that's much better than my obviously stupid idea.

Having a rookie get time on the blueline (usually < 15min/g) isn't exactly the same as throwing out an unknown at the most important position on the ice.

iFishyHD

Dec 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
I would trade an often injured BB for him then trade Letang for a forward. Trouba would be a pain in the as* to play against exactly what we need DP, Trouba, Matta, Depres wow that defense of the future :)

Stupid idea. Is this Shero? Trade our only forward with a shot to do something in the NHL for more defense. Our future on the backend isn't bright enough with Maatta, Pouliot, Despres, Harrington, Samuelsson, Dumolin, Bortuzzo, hell even Letang or Nisky (whichever stays)? Only on HF...

iFishyHD

Dec 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Why does everybody buyout Adams? Yes the guy sucks total ass, but his contract isn't cap constricting (comparing to Glass @ 1.5) and hell some team might deal futures for a veteran "PKer and locker room guy." Bury him WBS for this final year and then release him if you cant trade him or have him get picked up on waivers.

iFishyHD

Dec 27, 2010
Pittsburgh

Trades:

FORWARDS
Zach Sill ($0.600m) /
DEFENSEMEN
GOALTENDERS
Thomas Greiss ($0.950m)
Alex Stalock ($0.800m)
BUYOUTS
Craig Adams ($0.233m)
------

What the hell? Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad