Salary Cap: 2014-15-Happy Thoughts

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I kind of agree. I know hes a great young player but I would throw Nyquist out there in possible trade packages to see what return you can get for him. I would also throw someone like Miller or Andersson in for the hell of it to clear some space.

I think Nyquist is going to be a solid top 6 player but you gotta give something to get something

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
FORWARDS
Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($7.500m) / Milan Michalek ($5.200m)
Gustav Nyquist ($0.950m) / Stephen Weiss ($4.900m) / Johan Franzen ($3.955m)
Tomas Tatar ($1.800m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Justin Abdelkader ($1.800m)
Drew Miller ($1.350m) / Riley Sheahan ($0.950m) / Luke Glendening ($0.900m)
Landon Ferraro ($0.850m) / Joakim Andersson ($0.733m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($4.250m)
Danny DeKeyser ($2.400m) / Andrew MacDonald ($4.500m)
Brendan Smith ($1.263m) / Jakub Kindl ($2.400m)
Brian Lashoff ($0.725m) /
GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($5.292m)
Jonas Gustavsson ($1.800m)

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
FORWARDS
Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($7.500m) / Milan Michalek ($5.200m)
DEFENSEMEN
GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($5.292m)

I think ideally you want a bit of a skilled grinder/big body presence with Datsyuk & Zetterberg. While neither is bad at puck retrieval both, imo, are at their best when there is a someone who is able to go into the corners & do the dirty work for them. It's why I think Sheahan would be best served on the top line, assuming we don't get someone like Vanek. I think Sheahan would be able to produce prime Cleary like numbers playing with those guys & we'd also have 3 guys who are good at FO on a line.

There's nothing wrong with letting him start off as a winger & then once injuries hit move him back to C.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
I think ideally you want a bit of a skilled grinder/big body presence with Datsyuk & Zetterberg. While neither is bad at puck retrieval both, imo, are at their best when there is a someone who is able to go into the corners & do the dirty work for them. It's why I think Sheahan would be best served on the top line, assuming we don't get someone like Vanek. I think Sheahan would be able to produce prime Cleary like numbers playing with those guys & we'd also have 3 guys who are good at FO on a line.

There's nothing wrong with letting him start off as a winger & then once injuries hit move him back to C.

Hmm..ya wouldn't mind giving Sheahan an opportunity to play with them, I actually think that would work well. In my mind though it's evident this team needs more offensive firepower. While dealing with all the injuries is slightly misleading to our offensive production, we still do not score enough. I think Michalek would be a good fit with the Wings. While he's not your typical grinder, he definitely does not shy away from physical play. There is no way the Sens bring him back, as he isn't having the greatest year, and they have other young players ready to step into a top 6 role.

Johnz96*

Didn't mention Cleary, though he's actually 12 in TOI. Bert's less than a minute from slipping to tenth, and Sammy is second on the team in missed games with 23 healthy scratches.

These guys are not prominent players on this team.

Cleary is 5th and Bert is 8th in total TOI this year amongst the forwards. Miller is 4th ffs.
They have all had a more significant role in the Wings season thus far than Nyquist or Tatar.
I know Nyquist was in GR for the first 20 games of the season but that's because of decisions made by Babcock and Holland. They were both healthy and available all season.
If Nyquist and Tatar had been playing 17+ mins a game since the start of the season they would have about 60 points between them rather than 30 and more importantly less time would have been afforded to liabilities like Bert, Cleary and Sammy, the Wings wouldn't be sitting out of playoff contention right now and Nyquist and Tatar would both be a little better than they are right now from the extra experience gained and confidence that goes with it and the extra production.

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER
CapGeek Armchair GM Roster
FORWARDS
Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($7.500m) / Anthony Mantha ($0.925m)
Tomas Tatar ($2.000m) / Stephen Weiss ($4.90m) / Daniel Alfredsson ($5.000m)
Johan Franzen ($3.955m) / Riley Sheahan ($0.975m) / Tomas Jurco ($0.709m)
Justin Abdelkader ($1.800m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Landon Ferraro ($0.950m)
Drew Miller ($1.350m) / Mitchell Callahan ($0.605m)
DEFENSEMEN
Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Alexei Marchenko ($0.667m)
Danny DeKeyser ($2.500m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($4.250m)
Xavier Ouellet ($0.670m) / Brendan Smith ($1.263m)
GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($5.292m)
Jonas Gustavsson ($1.500m)
BUYOUTS
Carlo Colaiacovo ($0.000m)
BURIED
Jordin Tootoo ($0.975m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $61,467,879; BONUSES: $565,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $9,632,121

Embrace the Youth Movement.

Johnz96*

FORWARDS
Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($7.500m) / Anthony Mantha ($0.925m)
DEFENSEMEN
GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($5.292m)
BUYOUTS
BURIED
Jordin Tootoo ($0.975m)
------

I would try to fandangle a deal for Chris Stewart to finally have someone who can keep the flies off the top 6. I think he is the only guy out there who might be available who could keep the flies off and contribute in the top 6 (I think he could contribute in a big way and is being hudlered by Hitchcock).
But if it didn't work out I would embrace a full youth movement as well. We could assess the kids and have cap space to address our needs accordingly.
I think acquiring someone like Vanek would only Pejorative Slur the progress of promising youngsters who given the opportunity may be almost as good and are still getting better. It is a crying shame that their progress and impact is currently being Pejorative Slured by much lesser players than Vanek or themselves
I looked into it a little more than a week ago, Vanek's production per 60 mins is almost identical to Franzen's but he isn't required to be as responsible defensively and Franzen is more affordable more physical and will play net front.

Colaiacovo has actually played 10 games with the Blues this year. I wonder if he was injured for the others. :naughty:

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Cleary is 5th and Bert is 8th in total TOI this year amongst the forwards. Miller is 4th ffs.
They have all had a more significant role in the Wings season thus far than Nyquist or Tatar.
I know Nyquist was in GR for the first 20 games of the season but that's because of decisions made by Babcock and Holland. They were both healthy and available all season.
If Nyquist and Tatar had been playing 17+ mins a game since the start of the season they would have about 60 points between them rather than 30 and more importantly less time would have been afforded to liabilities like Bert, Cleary and Sammy, the Wings wouldn't be sitting out of playoff contention right now and Nyquist and Tatar would both be a little better than they are right now from the extra experience gained and confidence that goes with it and the extra production.

Better contact the NHL because they have Cleary at 12th with 13.51 TOI/G, right behind Tatar getting 13.58, as my link in my previous post shows.

Bert, Cleary, and Sammy have not played significant roles this season, and losing them isn't a big deal on the ice, but will significantly drop our avg age.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
FORWARDS
DEFENSEMEN
GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($5.292m)
BUYOUTS
BURIED
Jordin Tootoo ($0.975m)
------

Nyquist?

Johnz96*

Better contact the NHL because they have Cleary at 12th with 13.51 TOI/G, right behind Tatar getting 13.58, as my link in my previous post shows.

Bert, Cleary, and Sammy have not played significant roles this season, and losing them isn't a big deal on the ice, but will significantly drop our avg age.

I'm talking total TOI not TOI/game. That's what I said. Nyquist and Tatar were healthy and available all year it's because of decisions by Babcock (Babcock wanted Cleary) that they haven't played in all the games.
Bert and Cleary have had more total ice-time this year then Nyqiuist and Tatar and that's just plain assinine and ridickulous.
Bert still got more ice-time than Tatar last game. The guy is done has been for a while but now not even Zetterberg and/or Datsyuk can carry him. It's just about obvious to anyone but Babcock and Holland are oblivious and that is why we are sitting out of a playoff position right now.
For years I have been making similar arguments about Fil and Hudler.

Last edited by a moderator:

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I'm talking total TOI not TOI/game. That's what I said. Nyquist and Tatar were healthy and available all year it's because of decisions by Babcock (Babcock wanted Cleary) that they haven't played in all the games.
Bert and Cleary have had more total ice-time this year then Nyqiuist and Tatar and that's just plain assinine and ridickulous.
Bert still got more ice-time than Tatar last game. The guy is done has been for a while but now not even Zetterberg and/or Datsyuk can carry him. It's just about obvious to anyone but Babcock and Holland are oblivious and that is why we are sitting out of a playoff position right now.
For years I have been making similar arguments about Fil and Hudler.

And I've been using toi/g from the start. Accumulative TOI is useless when trying to find a player's spot on the team. Cleary and Bert have inflated numbers just because they've been relatively healthy, not because the Wings trust them with significant roles.

Johnz96*

And I've been using toi/g from the start. Accumulative TOI is useless when trying to find a player's spot on the team. Cleary and Bert have inflated numbers just because they've been relatively healthy, not because the Wings trust them with significant roles.

But Nyquist and Tatar have been healthy and available all year. It is because of the coaches decisions that they haven't played in all the games and Cleary and Bertuzzi have had a more prominent affect on the team.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
FORWARDS
DEFENSEMEN
GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($5.292m)

milan michalek is atrocious, dont want any part of that injury prone bum

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
But Nyquist and Tatar have been healthy and available all year. It is because of the coaches decisions that they haven't played in all the games and Cleary and Bertuzzi have had a more prominent affect on the team.

We're going in circles with this. Bert and Cleary have high cumulative TOI because they have been healthy, not because they have played a large role on this club. Losing them won't be a big deal, and for the roles they play on the club, they disproportionately raise the average age compared to players who play larger roles.

The area where age is a worry is with Z, D, and Franzen. The average age for the club is less of a concern than the age of these guys.

Johnz96*

We're going in circles with this. Bert and Cleary have high cumulative TOI because they have been healthy, not because they have played a large role on this club. Losing them won't be a big deal, and for the roles they play on the club, they disproportionately raise the average age compared to players who play larger roles.

The area where age is a worry is with Z, D, and Franzen. The average age for the club is less of a concern than the age of these guys.

Tatar and Nyquist have been healthy and available for every game but don't have as a high a cumulative TOI is what I am have been saying. Had they had a much higher cumulative TOI then Cleary and Bert the Wings would be in a better position now.
It's not like they were injured, unavailable for some reason or didn't want to play, they just haven't been afforded the time.
And Beryuzzi still played more than Tatar last game and averages more TOI/game than Tatar.
Bert is washed up, it's plain to see. If the coach and GM can't see that it's time to go. Their decisions are affecting the W-Ls.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Tatar and Nyquist have been healthy and available for every game but don't have as a high a cumulative TOI is what I am have been saying. Had they had a much higher cumulative TOI then Cleary and Bert the Wings would be in a better position now.
It's not like they were injured, unavailable for some reason or didn't want to play, they just haven't been afforded the time.
And Beryuzzi still played more than Tatar last game and averages more TOI/game than Tatar.
Bert is washed up, it's plain to see. If the coach and GM can't see that it's time to go. Their decisions are affecting the W-Ls.

I seem to recall him being sidelined for a couple with a groin injury.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
I think they should compliance buyout Franzen. Unless they're assure that towards the end of that deal they cap will so high his hit/the retirement penalty will be insignificant.

I still think it's stupid how the new CBA punished teams retroactively for contracts that weren't against the rules at the time.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Which raises the question, what's with all the groin injuries? I can see players having one in September or October, but that was like December. Very concerned with our medical trainers.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
I think they should compliance buyout Franzen. Unless they're assure that towards the end of that deal they cap will so high his hit/the retirement penalty will be insignificant.

I still think it's stupid how the new CBA punished teams retroactively for contracts that weren't against the rules at the time.

well, i guess technically, they weren't against the rules but GMs new all along what they were doing.

and seemed to agree with recapture stuff.

i'd lean on keeping him. depends how he plays the rest of the way.

i think there is pretty solid case to both buy out and not buy out him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad