Salary Cap: 2014-15-Happy Thoughts

Johnz96*

If the Wings throw enough money, anything is possible. But make no mistake, Holland would have to actually outbid other teams. He's not going to get either on a discount in a market where they can pick multiple winning teams.

The way Vanek has played, I wouldn't mind giving him a blank check.
I think he's exactly the type of talent the Wings need to get to the next level.

If you add 2 mins of ice-time to Franzen's totals, he pretty much matches Vanek's production, while being required to be more defensively responsible and actually hits and uses his size some for a lot less.
This year Franzen has scored a point every 23.22 mins of ice-time and Vanek has scored every 22.14 mins of ice-time. Almost exactly the same. Franzen plays on a team that requires him and his teammates to be more defensively responsible, Vanel always plays on the 1st line and 1st PP units (with Tavares these days). Franzen is more physical and plays net front.
For about half the money and maybe even less than half of what Vanek will command next year.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
All you're doing is selling me on Franzen.

Vanek hasn't had a center of Zetterberg's or Datsyuk's quality until now. He's been the man for Buffalo for years and a force all his own. You won't find a better player in free agency. Very similar to Parise, who even going home, still commanded $100 million.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Vanek has been pretty clear he doesn't want to be part of a rebuild. The Islanders are currently in the running for a lottery pick. Plus, the Islanders are an ownership and management mess. No way I'd anchor myself to that organization, but that's just me.

If I was a betting man, it's Minnesota that gets Vanek. They'll let Heatley go and that frees up the cash for Vanek.

And on that note, Heatley is one of the most realistic Wings additions for 2014. :laugh:

Why would he go to Minnesota ?

shultzyfeelinirie20

Jan 30, 2012
Michigan
Why would he go to Minnesota ?

i forget why but there have been rumors for like 8months now that he will end up their and if he does thats a lot of money tied up in seeing how they already have those other big contracts but man that would be a hellva team they got a lot of good young talent also

WesNichols14

Nov 22, 2011
Port Huron Michigan
Minnesota is going to be better than Detroit over the next five years.

sure but after they put a bunch of money on 3 guys and have to trade away young talent in there primes because they have 3 players in there 30s taking up a bunch of cap. we can reap the benefit.

they are in the end of there rebuild we are in the center of it and its the 1st real year of it. we have stockpiled up an entire D core, with a variety of different styles. we have plenty of premier bottom 6 prospects and several legit top 6 Wing prospects getting close to the NHL if not already there. all we need is a Legit number 1 center prospect to take over when Pav is gone since Z even at age 40 will be a good number 2 center. I say don't jump the gun on a long term deal with a player that is only going to decline. Pick up Gaborik for a 2-3 year deal at good money or maybe Grabovski for a 4 year deal but signing some 6 year deal to a player for 5.5+ is only going to hurt us with our prospect pool.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
How is the team going to look next year?

I keep trying to think of what we are going to look like, but I can't figure it out.

The good news is we have sooo many forwards, I really think we have a decent chance we can finally be done with Cleary.

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Alfredsson
Nyquist-Weiss-Franzen
Tatar-Helm-Abdelkader
Miller-Sheahan-Ferraro
Callahan/Andersson

Defense I'm not sure what to do with either. Ideally I'd like to go into next year dropping both Kindl and Quincey, but I doubt that happens.

Kronwall-Smith
Dekeyser-Ericsson
Kindl-Free Agent
Lashoff

pretty much mehhhh on D. Though if Smith and Dekeyser continue to get better I could see our top 4 becoming solid in a year or two. Between Kronwall, Dekeyser, Smith, and Ericsson. I actually like that group. Not sure how we start to fit in Ouellet, Sproul, Marchenko, Backman into the mix when they are ready.

Also I don't really see Almquist having a future here.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

I keep trying to think of what we are going to look like, but I can't figure it out.

The good news is we have sooo many forwards, I really think we have a decent chance we can finally be done with Cleary.

Nyquist-Weiss-Franzen
Tatar-Helm-Abdelkader
Miller-Sheahan-Ferraro
Callahan/Andersson

Defense I'm not sure what to do with either. Ideally I'd like to go into next year dropping both Kindl and Quincey, but I doubt that happens.

Kronwall-Smith
Dekeyser-Ericsson
Kindl-Free Agent
Lashoff

pretty much mehhhh on D. Though if Smith and Dekeyser continue to get better I could see our top 4 becoming solid in a year or two. Between Kronwall, Dekeyser, Smith, and Ericsson. I actually like that group. Not sure how we start to fit in Ouellet, Sproul, Marchenko, Backman into the mix when they are ready.

Don't forget Tootoo up front. I have to think we'll use a compliance buyout on him, but I can also see them just bringing him to camp next year.

With the number of guys coming up, I'm expecting some deals to be made. I mean, we literally can't fit them all in, and I don't expect the roster turnover necessary to find spots for them as they become ready unless we're dead set on running out their waiver options (and, hey, maybe).

Agree about Kindl being the guy off the roster that we hang out there for a trade, and that Almqvist doesn't have a future here. I like him, but just way too many guys coming up behind him and too big of a crowd ahead of him.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009

Nyquist-Weiss-Franzen
Tatar-Helm-Abdelkader
Miller-Sheahan-Ferraro
Callahan/Andersson

Kronwall-Smith
Dekeyser-Ericsson
Kindl-Free Agent
Lashoff

1. No Jurco? He's going to get the Nyquist treatment too having to stay down even though he's ready. He'd be fantastic on the third line with Tatar and Helm. He brings size, speed, skill with a line that already has a bunch of speed and some skill. Could trade away Miller to someone. He's a solid enough role player on a decent contract. Or just let Ferraro go, which seems like a shame.

2. I bet one of Ouellet/Marchenko would be perfectly fine. Certainly could replace Kindl or Quincey, imo. and free up the cap space for another move somewhere. Granted they were only up for a very short stint, but neither looked out of place. It's not like either Kindl/Quincey are defensive stalwarts of offensive powerhouses (to put it mildly). Bringing them both up might be pushing it on a D-corp that is still pretty green. Dekeyser is still pretty young, Smith still has to round out his game. But one of them wouldn't be bad.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
1. No Jurco? He's going to get the Nyquist treatment too having to stay down even though he's ready. He'd be fantastic on the third line with Tatar and Helm. He brings size, speed, skill with a line that already has a bunch of speed and some skill. Could trade away Miller to someone. He's a solid enough role player on a decent contract. Or just let Ferraro go, which seems like a shame.

2. I bet one of Ouellet/Marchenko would be perfectly fine. Certainly could replace Kindl or Quincey, imo. and free up the cap space for another move somewhere. Granted they were only up for a very short stint, but neither looked out of place. It's not like either Kindl/Quincey are defensive stalwarts of offensive powerhouses (to put it mildly). Bringing them both up might be pushing it on a D-corp that is still pretty green. Dekeyser is still pretty young, Smith still has to round out his game. But one of them wouldn't be bad.

1. There's too many guys, and I will bet they wait til he is out of waiver options to bring him up full time. I'm guessing he is going to be 1st call-up next year. Again not what I want, but that's what I think we will see. I actually like our team better off without Weiss TBH, wish we could get rid of him.

Franzen-Z-Nqyuist
Jurco-Datsyuk-Alfredsson
Tatar-Helm-Abdelkader
Miller-Sheahan-Ferraro

2. I'd be OK with one of Ouellet or Marcehnko being the RD on the 3rd pair next year. Ideally I would like to trade Kindl for a draft pick or picks, and the sign a veteran D to be the other D on that 3rd pair.

I'd be down for something like

Kronwall-Smith
Dekeyser-Ericsson
Hainsey-Ouellet
Lashoff

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
having jurco in minors as a first callup may not be bad thing (unless he completely tears AHL apart).

as this season has shown, callups get to play. injuries will come. lashoff has played 44 for games. not bad for press box guy. just needs to leave some cap space. ok, kenny?

this way wings would have better depth. no need to toss the season away if top 6 guy gets injured. sorry, scratch that, will get injured.

if kids like frk don't show major improvement, there's no one to call up for that scoring role. babcock might want glendening in that case and go full babcock with roster.

lot will depend on weiss and what kenny can/is willing to get in FA or trade market.

but i wouldn't go into the season planning jurco to the opening roster (as of now). lots of other teams have backup plan .unless jurco tears it completely apart, it's not that bad imo.

he would get to play lot of games anyway, wings have better depth as injuries strike, babs isn't afraid to use him a lot etc.

LeighDx59

Nov 23, 2011
Detroit, MI
FORWARDS
Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($7.500m) / Devin Setoguchi ($3.300m)
Daniel Alfredsson ($5.500m) / Stephen Weiss ($4.900m) / Gustav Nyquist ($0.950m)
Tomas Tatar ($1.800m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Johan Franzen ($3.955m)
Justin Abdelkader ($1.800m) / Landon Ferraro ($0.825m) / Luke Glendening ($1.000m)
Joakim Andersson ($0.733m) / Mitchell Callahan ($0.605m)

DEFENSEMEN
Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Brendan Smith ($1.263m)
Matt Niskanen ($3.500m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($4.250m)
Adam Almquist ($0.725m) / Danny DeKeyser ($2.500m)
Brian Lashoff ($0.725m)

GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($5.292m)
Jonas Gustavsson ($1.500m)

CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $5,045,455

-Let Cleary, Bertuzzi, Samuelsson, Eaves and Quincey go.

-Re-sign Alfredsson (depending on the seasons outcome), Gustavsson, Tatar, DeKeyser, Ferraro, Callahan, Almqvist, Glendening (Babcocks new love)

-Trade Kindl and Miller

-Trade and sign or just sign Setoguchi and Niskanen or really anyone. Would be enough money to sign Vanek is Setoguchi isn't available.

With that, you have three scoring lines and a grind line, with a pest (Cally) ready to play.

Oct 18, 2006
Although the points might not be there, to me there's little doubt Jurco is NHL ready. Just watch him and you see it. He skates well, he has tremendous offensive instincts, he's not afraid to go to the net, and he's surprisingly physical. He has all the tools, and he always looks dangerous out there. Wasteful not to use him IMO.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
FORWARDS
Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($7.500m) / Devin Setoguchi ($3.300m)
Daniel Alfredsson ($5.500m) / Stephen Weiss ($4.900m) / Gustav Nyquist ($0.950m)
Justin Abdelkader ($1.800m) / Landon Ferraro ($0.825m) / Luke Glendening ($1.000m)

DEFENSEMEN
Brian Lashoff ($0.725m)

GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($5.292m)

-Re-sign Alfredsson (depending on the seasons outcome), Gustavsson, Tatar, DeKeyser, Ferraro, Callahan, Almqvist, Glendening (Babcocks new love)

-Trade Kindl and Miller

-Trade and sign or just sign Setoguchi and Niskanen or really anyone. Would be enough money to sign Vanek is Setoguchi isn't available.

With that, you have three scoring lines and a grind line, with a pest (Cally) ready to play.

No Sheahan?

Johnz96*

FORWARDS

DEFENSEMEN
Brian Lashoff ($0.725m)

GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($5.292m)

-Trade Kindl and Miller

Why do you want to hudler Tatar?

nickyno72

Mar 27, 2013
sure but after they put a bunch of money on 3 guys and have to trade away young talent in there primes because they have 3 players in there 30s taking up a bunch of cap. we can reap the benefit.

they are in the end of there rebuild we are in the center of it and its the 1st real year of it. we have stockpiled up an entire D core, with a variety of different styles. we have plenty of premier bottom 6 prospects and several legit top 6 Wing prospects getting close to the NHL if not already there. all we need is a Legit number 1 center prospect to take over when Pav is gone since Z even at age 40 will be a good number 2 center. I say don't jump the gun on a long term deal with a player that is only going to decline. Pick up Gaborik for a 2-3 year deal at good money or maybe Grabovski for a 4 year deal but signing some 6 year deal to a player for 5.5+ is only going to hurt us with our prospect pool.

I don't think this is a problem for Minnesota. Same reason I thought Suter and Parise would have been worth 8mil a piece to sign in Detroit. If the cap continues its expected climb the 7.5 cap hits for Parise and Suter are decent hits, and as long as Vanek isn't over 8 they'll have plenty of cap and options. Look at Chicago, they've built a powerhouse doing that. They, like Minnesota, have kids constantly coming in and playing right away. Same reason why Edmonton could theoretically keep their team together. The cap in the NHL should never be a problem for a responsible GM. Only when you end up with 25 NHL caliber players does it start to come in effect.

Just my thoughts on the first part of what you said not trying to be a downer on it or anything.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden

Nyquist-Weiss-Franzen
Tatar-Helm-Abdelkader
Miller-Sheahan-Ferraro
Callahan/Andersson

Kronwall-Smith
Dekeyser-Ericsson
Kindl-Free Agent
Lashoff

Replace Weiss with Franzen and Franzens spot goes to Jurco. Get rid of Miller and add Callahan.

Johnz96*

Rebuild? We are the 5th oldest team in the league.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
The age thing is a bit misleading, though. Bert and Sammy, who either have small roles or none, inflate our avg age. Remove those two over the summer, possibly Cleary and Alfredsson on top of that, while moving a couple more prospects onto the roster, and our avg age could start swinging the other way without any substantial turnover to the lineup.

Johnz96*

The age thing is a bit misleading, though. Bert and Sammy, who either have small roles or none, inflate our avg age. Remove those two over the summer, possibly Cleary and Alfredsson on top of that, while moving a couple more prospects onto the roster, and our avg age could start swinging the other way without any substantial turnover to the lineup.

Cleary and Bert are 5th and 8th among forwards for ice-time. Kronwall is the only d-man that has more PP TOI/game on the point than Sammy.

LeighDx59

Nov 23, 2011
Detroit, MI
Why do you want to hudler Tatar?

Just until Alfredsson retires :nod: Honestly, when healthy, those top three lines could be incredibly difficult to stop. Especially with Tatar and Franzen on the third line. And obviously Tatar/Nyquist/Setoguci could be interchangable.

No Sheahan?

With the guys coming up next season I would wait another year or so. If it wasn't for Glendening I would rather have Sheahan centering that fourth line with Abdelkader and Ferraro. But in hypothetical sense we keep Glendening up so Babcock has a new favorite and we can finally let Cleary go.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
Probably unpopular but...

Offer up Alfredsson

Offer up Qunicey(before the Olympic break, a GM might want to get some more depth before the prices go up.

Offer up Miller

Offer up Ferraro, Callahan, Almquist, Nestrasil, Fournier, rights to McCollum, Axelsson, Aubry...and Paterson and Nyquist.

Personally I think Nyquist could get a good return, but with Tatar, Jurco, and Mantha coming up( as the top guys, not to mention the others), he can nab something good.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
With the guys coming up next season I would wait another year or so. If it wasn't for Glendening I would rather have Sheahan centering that fourth line with Abdelkader and Ferraro. But in hypothetical sense we keep Glendening up so Babcock has a new favorite and we can finally let Cleary go.

I like that line, slotting Glen as the 13th forward to step in would be perfect. Add Cleary as the fluffer though..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad